• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread The Third: #TeamBrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
]I don't get the whole Tested thing. Recently re-visited the site for the Oktoberkast videos[/B]. The websit has Jamie and Adam's picture featured prominently and it's called Jamie and Adam's but nothing is written by them on the website and on Oktoberkast they mention it's the first time visiting the office. I guess it's just a publicity thing, trying to get more people to a website by putting your known name on it.. but dont it feel dirty and especially when Will and Norm have big enough personalities to drive their own website.
Adam has a video podcast with them almost once a week, he has written stuff for the website.
Adam also does videos on all kinds of stuff from his man cave.

They are fully invested and they are going strong.

I don't get the whole Tested thing. Recently re-visited the site for the Oktoberkast videos. The websit has Jamie and Adam's picture featured prominently and it's called Jamie and Adam's but nothing is written by them on the website and on Oktoberkast they mention it's the first time visiting the office. I guess it's just a publicity thing, trying to get more people to a website by putting your known name on it.. but dont it feel dirty and especially when Will and Norm have big enough personalities to drive their own website.

whoareyoutalkingto?.gif

Adam seems fairly involved with the site he does a podcast with them like every two weeks and does videos about all the insane stuff he has made and owns. I also know for a fact both Jaime and Adam have written articles for the site, but am on my phone right now so I can't really hunt them down.

Coldsnap

Oh, sorry my mistake then. I scrolled down a few posts and they were all Joey, Will, and Norm. That's good though. I am too glad Tested is able to continue their legacy.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Guys, how about a proper camera for these I Love Mondays/Mailbags/WiiU unboxings.

Sorry Jeff, but it's time to finally retire that garbage flipcam. I demand my closeups of console ports and connectors in full crisp HD, not a blurred and unfocused mess.

Time to step it up for the next generation!

Megasoum

Banned
I don't get the whole Tested thing. Recently re-visited the site for the Oktoberkast videos. The websit has Jamie and Adam's picture featured prominently and it's called Jamie and Adam's but nothing is written by them on the website and on Oktoberkast they mention it's the first time visiting the office. I guess it's just a publicity thing, trying to get more people to a website by putting your known name on it.. but dont it feel dirty and especially when Will and Norm have big enough personalities to drive their own website.

Sadly I'm not sure that this is so true... Back when they were with Whiskey Tested had negligible numbers compared to Giantbomb and Comicvine. They actually got a lot bigger now that they are with Adam and Jamie.

Gomu Gomu

Guys, how about a proper camera for these I Love Mondays/Mailbags/WiiU unboxings.

Sorry Jeff, but it's time to finally retire that garbage flipcam. I demand my closeups of console ports and connectors in full crisp HD, not a blurred and unfocused mess.

Not sure about "demand", but it sure would be great if they get a better video camera for these videos.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year

If you can recommend a better consumer-level camera that we can pull files off of in a common format, so we don't have to eat up Vinny or Drew's time recording these things, we're all ears.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
People really care about the quality of ILM videos?

Or is it just more witch hunting GiantBomb for 'hating a system'?

GolazoDan

I know the whole Jamie & Adam thing annoys a lot of people and it annoyed me too but, having never seen Mythbusters before, I can't hate that much on Adam Savage at least. I love the little podcasts he does with Will & Norm, seems like a lovely guy.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If you can recommend a better consumer-level camera that we can pull files off of in a common format, so we don't have to eat up Vinny or Drew's time recording these things, we're all ears.

Post was meant to be lighthearted, Brad. It's why I italicized "demand".

And I know absolutely nothing about consumer-level cameras, but the current equipment used for these videos are really not great. Flipcam-type camera's (which if I recall correctly are the ones Jeff is using) are inherently pretty bad, high resolution or not.

Jeff filming the back of the box and the inside of the manual is very awesome, but sadly the current camera is apparently struggling to auto-focus and it all turns out to be completely unreadable. It's a pity, nothing more. No hate for the current format of videos at all.

People really care about the quality of ILM videos?

Now I have truly read it all. I have been the most ardent defender of anything remotely related to Giant Bomb since forever. And I'm not too hot on the Wii-U either.

Duffyside

Banned
Just got home -- weren't they going to do a Wii U live thing today? Is it already over? I thought it would go for like 6 hours...

Gomu Gomu

No, better camera and mount etc. would ruin the charm of those videos, tbh.
The Wii U will get it's proper coverage anyway.
No need to go overboard with it. Just get a new video camera, that's small, light and can actually produce good looking high res videos.
The current camera looks very blurry and outdated to me.

Jeez.

pax217

Sony's HDR-CX line is "consumer" and pretty darn cheap in comparison, but really does a great job at filming on-the-fly. More than video, you guys should care about the audio, just mount an audio technica pro24 to the camera.

I like "I Love Mondays" and what-not as-is, though. I think you guys should add in filters respective to the camera operator's mood; like groggy, hungover, or even still-drunk so we can see Monday through Jeff, or whoever's eyes. /poorjoke

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Use a go pro.

You can even put it on your head. Or chest!

ratzombie

Neo Member
I know the whole Jamie & Adam thing annoys a lot of people and it annoyed me too but, having never seen Mythbusters before, I can't hate that much on Adam Savage at least. I love the little podcasts he does with Will & Norm, seems like a lovely guy.
I was worried initially, but Adam seems to have fully embraced the website with interesting articles and video tours of his shop, but while also letting Will and Norm continue to do their thing. At least Tested didn't end up like Screened.

Jintor

I was going to put them on blast for doing an unboxing video after Iwata already showed everybody how it's done, but they started off with it balanced on brad's head so I guess they found a way.

Dizzy-4U

Any ideas of what the GOTY awards presentation would be? That costume thingy was so good I can't imagine how they're gonna top that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That Wii U unboxing only served to remind me of the On the Spot Wii unboxing vid (sorry for the trip down memory lane again).

I totally forgot that this was coming out soon... aaaand I know people who still think it's just a new controller for their Wii. :x

chiablo

Any ideas of what the GOTY awards presentation would be? That costume thingy was so good I can't imagine how they're gonna top that.

They should make it into a musical. Or they could take the FMV concept to another level and make it an interactive experience somehow.

My only wish about those was it needs filmed from Vinny/Patrick/Ryan's side of the room so the glare from the windows doesn't flood in and out as the camera moves around. Or more posters to cover them up one!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
LMAO @ Patrick soiling the Wii U. I'm sure somewhere a Nintendo fan shed a tear for it.

Can anyone tell me how the giant bomb video watching experience is on xboxes' Internet explorer. I can't check it out on this free trial but it might be nice. HTML 5? Theatre? Do the videos play well at full resolution?

spree4567

Neo Member
Can anyone tell me how the giant bomb video watching experience is on xboxes' Internet explorer. I can't check it out on this free trial but it might be nice. HTML 5? Theatre? Do the videos play well at full resolution?

No idea how IE works, but you can just use the YouTube app

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

You can watch them in Embiggen HTML5. Doesn't seem to be a full screen button, though. Theatre doesn't work, comes up with a message about only being compatible with Chrome and Safari.

Lombax

Banned

it should be ok. Giantbomb is best on the boxee box.

That Wii U unboxing only served to remind me of the On the Spot Wii unboxing vid (sorry for the trip down memory lane again).

I totally forgot that this was coming out soon... aaaand I know people who still think it's just a new controller for their Wii. :x

There was a women in line at Best Buy buying a Wii when I picked up Halo 4. I spent the whole time in line wondering if she knew about the WiiU and if she thought it was a just a new controller. Funny enough after I paid I heard the manager ask the cashier if the women asked about returns or the WiiU and she the cashier had sad anything. I don't know if it a corporate thing or just my store, but there is at least some genuine concern about market place confusion on a retailers part. I should mention the conversation I overheard did not sound sinister in any way. It was more they were unsure how to approach the subject to prevent a situation later down the line.

Ozone

There needs to be a sequel to NSMB Wii with NSMB U. Jeff on the gamepad for maximum griefing and proclamations of "I like to have fun." and "I am the greatest.".
Now that they have a 5th man with Patrick, this most assuredly will happen. And Brad will run out of lives 3 minutes into it. Again.

Also when it comes to watching Giant Bomb content on my TV, I use the Giant Bomb Video Buddy app on my iPad and AirPlay it to my Apple TV. It works fantastically.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Post was meant to be lighthearted, Brad. It's why I italicized "demand".

And I know absolutely nothing about consumer-level cameras, but the current equipment used for these videos are really not great. Flipcam-type camera's (which if I recall correctly are the ones Jeff is using) are inherently pretty bad, high resolution or not.

Jeff filming the back of the box and the inside of the manual is very awesome, but sadly the current camera is apparently struggling to auto-focus and it all turns out to be completely unreadable. It's a pity, nothing more. No hate for the current format of videos at all.

Now I have truly read it all. I have been the most ardent defender of anything remotely related to Giant Bomb since forever. And I'm not too hot on the Wii-U either.

I actually was asking for recommendations if there's something better. It has to be something that we can take from pressing record to dumping a file into the compressor in a matter of minutes though.

Megasoum

Banned
I actually was asking for recommendations if there's something better. It has to be something that we can take from pressing record to dumping a file into the compressor in a matter of minutes though.

Not sure about the actual output file format but I bet a Go Pro would work well and it's in HD.... Heck you can probably mount one on a hummingbird mask!

Chanser

How about a Sony Bloggie?
I noticed Jeff's flip cam has a half dead pixel on the sensor.

Alfredo

Are you guys using the built-in mic on the camera for recording? My main complaint is not being to hear other people say stuff 'cause they're further away from the camera. I'm not sure if any kind of external mic would improve upon that, but it'd be nice if possible.

Either way, I prefer these videos as opposed to the more produced ones of yore. And we actually get them on Mondays, for the most part! :D

Has anyone been having issues with the HD stream these days? It has been working in fits for the last month or so, to the point where i dont want to use the boxee app anymore because it can't seem to go a minute or two without needing to buffer.

Netflix streams just fine and in HD so I don't think it's an issue with the device or my internet speed. I've had to settle for streaming on my laptop with the Auto setting on just for it to work right. Sigh. Sucks to be paying for a membership and to not fully enjoy the benefits :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom