• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension reviews

Dusky

David Jaffe's ending sounds terrible.

I don't want Kratos fighting God's from other mythologies.

Just give us a new hero in a new setting, with familiar but different gameplay mechanics and no one will complain.

Like has been said countless times a new mythology, protagonist and new mechanics would be great whilst still retaining the God of War title. Hopefully this happens next-gen.

Vire

I don't get why so many people think the story in Ascension is forgettable or pointless. If they fail at telling a good story, fine I get that. But a lot of people and reviewers make it sound like the entire premise of the story is just weak and pointless. What is wrong with the story having to do with Kratos from earlier days? What is weak about a story being about Kratos escaping his blood oath with Ares. I always wondered how Kratos managed to just walk out on Ares after being tricked into killing his family. I'm glad they are going back to the family story of Kratos. I'd honestly say the premise of God of War 2 and 3 are a lot weaker. God of War 2 starts off with Kratos being the new God of War, and he's an asshole that has to be stopped in Olympus' eyes. Zeus kills him, and Kratos goes on a never-ending crusade to get revenge. The whole time in the back of my head of GoW2/3, I always kind of thought Zeus was right about Kratos in that aspect. The first God of War was about killing the god that tricked you into killing your family. This game is about escaping from the grasps of the god that tricked you into killing your family. I find that far more interesting.

Nothing is inherently wrong with Kratos in the earlier days...

Except for the fact that there's been two prequels already on the PSP.
Like has been said countless times a new mythology, protagonist and new mechanics would be great whilst still retaining the God of War title. Hopefully this happens next-gen.

I'm hoping that's what Stig is working on.

meta4

Not to sound like a fanboy, but big MS IP's never seem to get much criticism from reviewers.

Going by fan reaction, Halo 4 and especially Gears 3 would've been the time to start seeing scores dip, but they didn't. Halo 3 was actually barely different from Halo 2, and wasn't even impressive graphically at its time of release.

I don't listen to reviews anymore.

I think it is highly unfair to judge all the reviewers based on a few console fanatics like Aegies. We still have reviewers who gave a mediocre game like UC3 an aggregate of 92 on metacritic.

Nothing is inherently wrong with Kratos in the earlier days...

Except for the fact that there's been two prequels already on the PSP.

I'm hoping that's what Stig is working on.

I think Stig is working on an open world shooter ( includes vehicular combat etc.. )

SteeloDMZ

Banned
If they want to keep Kratos so bad, they could pull off a Mortal Kombat and send him to a parallel universe where he fights new gods. Lol

noobasuar

Banned
Let's face it, it's easier to give annual multiplayer games a pass since the focus is on competing against other human players, while for single player games you really gotta have a good reason for pumping out the same type of action game.

At least that's how I see it.

Just give us a new hero in a new setting, with familiar but different gameplay mechanics and no one will complain.

Is there another mythology even remotely as interesting as Greek? Genuine question, because Iliad and The Odyssey are classics in literature and Greek mythology is something most people have at least a passing interest in. I can't recall any popular stories of revenge etc in Norse, but then again I don't know much about it.

For me, they'd be better off making on Heavenly Sword with a new combat system than taking on some new mythology.

I think it is highly unfair to judge all the reviewers based on a few console fanatics like Aegies. We still have reviewers who gave a mediocre game like UC3 an aggregate of 92 on metacritic.

I think Stig is working on an open world shooter ( includes vehicular combat etc.. )

I'll never understand how anybody can simultaniously think Uncharted 2 is GOTY, while Uncharted 3 is mediocre.

Hystzen

Pretty much then at end of new guys game show Kratos foot appear as a tease maybe as a villain later or fight alongside whatever they feel like if they feel the need to keep Kratos around. The title God Of War is still usable as each mythology has it's own version so they can keep the name to help sell copies

JCizzle

I have no issue with those feeling burned out of a series, but for consistency I just hope their reviews of Halo 4 share the same sentiment considering that game just came out.

Vire

Is there another mythology even remotely as interesting as Greek? Genuine question, because Iliad and The Odyssey are classic literature that most people have at least a passing interest in. I can't recall any popular stories of revenge etc in Norse, but then again I don't know much about it.

For me, they'd be better off making on Heavenly Sword with a new combat system than taking on some new mythology.

Absolutely,

Indian/Hindu but I doubt they would touch that with a ten foot pole in fear of offending people.

Norse Mythology is especially rich, with all sorts of stories of betrayal, lust and greed.

Boss Man

Holy shit.

Everyone should watch this. That would have been incredible. Proof that the series has a lot of room if they would just get a bit creative with it. Each game could handle a different mythology/setting, and you could stall by going back and doing sequels/spin-offs for each of them.

The current setting is parched though, hopefully a new direction will come with the new generation.

Marleyman

Banned
Let's face it, it's easier to give annual multiplayer games a pass since the focus is on competing against other human players, while for single player games you really gotta have a good reason for pumping out the same type of action game.

At least that's how I see it.

Great point.

Loudninja

Sounds like the game ramps up after the opening
Thankfully the tempo ramps up quickly and Ascension rapidly settles into the high-octane groove fans will be familiar with. It’s business as usual when it comes to combat, and therefore, it’s as solid and satisfying as ever. Weapon upgrades provide much-needed depth and variety without ever becoming overwhelming; so while it’s possible to punch and kick your way through most of the game using just a handful of basic moves, there are countless combo-strings to discover should you wish to experiment further.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/07/god-of-war-ascension-review-in-progress

Same generic FPS just like other generic FPS's. point and shoot and move on.. No idea why it exists as well.

image.php

Yeah, you're delusional.

Marleyman

Banned
I have no issue with those feeling burned out of a series, but for consistency I just hope their reviews of Halo 4 share the same sentiment considering that game just came out.

I don't get this either. Halo 4 is moving forward whereas a new God of War is moving back. They have nowhere to go with the series after God of War 3 IMO so instead of rebooting it maybe w/ new mythology they go back for another prequel.

No God of War 4. God of War 3 ended the series in a complete way. I like Ascension for telling an earlier story. I wouldn't mind if this was the last God of War game, or at least the last Kratos game. I don't want God of War to go Halo on us. I felt Halo 3 was a perfect ending. Then they ruined that perfect ending with another trilogy that so far seems a bit dull. I would have much rather they made a Halo game that had a whole new story with a whole new Spartan. Of course, that won't happen because Master Chief is too marketable, but it would have been better.

nib95

Banned
I'm not surprised by the overall reviews, nor the scores from particular outlets or journalists (Edge, Agies etc). If I were a gambling man I would have put good money on both of these reviews being below an 8-8.5 with confidence, irrespective of the game itself.

Having said that, I'm also not surprised some other outlets have reviewed it in the lower or upper 8's instead of 9's. From the offset I felt GOW Ascension simply was not as ambitious as GOW3, and needed to do more to set itself apart. I didn't even like the multiplayer BETA and felt they spent far too much time promoting and advertising it. My guess is that they spent too much time on the multiplayer component and not enough on the single player, the bread and butter of the GOW franchise.

meta4

I'll never understand how anybody can simultaniously think Uncharted 2 is GOTY, while Uncharted 3 is mediocre.

Because UC2 is a masterpiece while UC3 has worse shooting mechanics, worse pacing, worse story, worse animations ( Nathan Drake walking like a drunk and stretching his hand even when he is 4 feet away from a wall...) and worse set pieces.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Is there another mythology even remotely as interesting as Greek? Genuine question, because Iliad and The Odyssey are classics in literature and Greek mythology is something most people have at least a passing interest in. I can't recall any popular stories of revenge etc in Norse, but then again I don't know much about it.

This is exactly why I want to keep it at Greek mythology.

then again...where else can they go with the story? everyone is dead now in the god of war universe lol :(

why cant we just have massive spartan and babarian battles with some mythological creatures thrown in or something lol

very sad to see that never happen in a god of war. Always wanted to see kratos fight with his fellow spartans and it makes me a sad panda that will never happen :(

Boss Man

I don't get this either. Halo 4 is moving forward whereas a new God of War is moving back. They have nowhere to go with the series after God of War 3 IMO so instead of rebooting it maybe w/ new mythology they go back for another prequel.
I take some issue with this. How is God of War 'moving back'? The combat is notably improved and the addition of (apparently good) multiplayer is rather significant. Aegies' review worded the prequel this way and it came across really slanted.

Cyberia

I'm not surprised by the overall reviews, nor the scores from particular outlets or journalists (Edge, Agies etc). If I were a gambling man I would have put good money on both of these reviews being below an 8-8.5 with confidence, irrespective of the game itself.

Having said that, I'm also not surprised some other outlets have reviewed it in the lower or upper 8's instead of 9's. From the offset I felt GOW Ascension simply was not as ambitious as GOW3, and needed to do more to set itself apart. I didn't even like the multiplayer BETA and felt they spent far too much time promoting and advertising it. My guess is that they spent too much time on the multiplayer component and not enough on the single player, the bread and butter of the GOW franchise.

But the team that worked on the game was way bigger than GoW III it seems.

That is a ridiculous claim. They spent time advertising the multiplayer, because it was the newest component to the game. That is not a sign at all that the multiplayer was the greater focus or impacted the single player. Even Sessler says the multiplayer in no way seems to impact the quality of the single player.

nib95

Banned
But the team that worked on the game was way bigger than GoW III it seems.

And it would need to be, given the new multiplayer and co-op components that did not exist in GOW3.

That is a ridiculous claim. They spent time advertising the multiplayer, because it was the newest component to the game. That is not a sign at all that the multiplayer was the greater focus or impacted the single player. Even Sessler says the multiplayer in no way seems to impact the quality of the single player.

According to some of the reviews, none of the levels quite match the scale of some of the titan fights in GOW3, that to me is another example.

Mifune

Mehmber
To me God of War is video game comfort food. You pretty much know what you're going to get and there is something reassuring about that. To drastically change the formula would risk losing what makes the series special. Of course, maybe a little risk is a good thing, but I'd rather SSM take what they've learned over the years and make a whole new property than overhaul a proven success.

Veelk

Banned
I want to play as the Sperm that created Kratos
Of course. How can we consider kratos story complete until we see every second of his life?

GoW 5: the awkward teenage years where kratos works up the courage to ask the popular girl to prom

Small question - could you point me to one original idea or thought or amazing moment that you see in this vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JYTxQf9DN_0#t=188s or any other part of the campaign that is not done in other FPS's a hundred times before. Please show me one. Just one.....

Yeah, I never got the hype about that demo showed at E3. If you like Halo, then great. Another Halo game that is surely fun to play with a great multiplayer. I love Halo and I really enjoyed Halo 4. But I didn't have to pretend it was a new experience. It was a Halo experience, which is exactly what I wanted.

Kinyou

I expect Gears of War Jugement to get a similar reception. Both games feel like something that nobody has asked for.

Loudninja

And it would need to be, given the new multiplayer and co-op components that did not exist in GOW3.

According to some of the reviews, none of the levels quite match the scale of some of the titan fights in GOW3, that to me is another example.
Another example of what?

Never heard of this Gies guy before but this thread tells me all I need to know.

You don't know why it exists? Each main entry in the franchise has sold more than the one that came before, of course there will be another one because it's obvious people want it.
Hell, you could ask the same about any sequel. What a ridiculous statement.

That "cheap blu ray player" tweet is gold. Having a fanboy of this calibre running a site is something else.

Top Bottom