• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension reviews

The lack of 3d support from this title is upsetting. I think its been made by a new team of youngings at Santa Monica... If I were sony I'd contract cory balrog back.

Also really.. you announce 3d support and remove it. This is not the delivery I expected from a dev powerhouse.

I was pretty bummed about it too but 3D support is the lowest on my list of needs for a game. If it's ever going to inconvenience the dev team or take away from their effort on other aspects, go ahead and scrap it.

sigh, Games Journalism:

BOQcm2k.png

Why did this guy review it?

I find it silly when people say stuff like this. It's in the Assassin's Creed thread too, but this dude is in the industry and should know better. We all know why this game exists. It's not rocket science.

Loudninja

Scores are about what I was expecting once I heard about so many reviewers getting stuck and because I'm not expecting it to have the same showstopping level of scale and awe as GoW3. I know I'll probably like the game a lot more than most so it's worth it to me.

I'm also fine with games getting criticized for franchise fatigue, just as long as those same reviewers are consistent about it with other games. It just seems like they pull out their real criticisms on games that they don't feel like they'll get as much backlash for and pull punches with other ones (ex. MoH: Warfighter scores vs Blops 2). It remains to be seen if that happened here.
I am fine with it too.

Are people forgetting the "I didn't do it, but I wish I did" trophy in God of War 3 at the Poseidon's princess part? God of War has always been offensive, its nothing new. Idk why there are so many overreactions.

Seems to be getting mostly 8's, doesn't seem too bad to me, Rising got around the same scores. Wasn't excited too much about the demo, I'm more excited by how amazing the game will look over the gameplay.

I usually like Adam's reviews but the sudden serious tone over a trophy name got me, heh.

Elios83

Even if it's obvious that reviewers can be biased, reading the reviews I get the same impression I got while playing the demo.
It's still a great action game, epic, brutal and all the tweaks they have added work really well.But you can't pretend to be impressed by the same things over and over. Look at how the Assassin's Creed series is being hit by critics and fans.
There's nothing wrong with a 8 average score, it's quite probably the score it deserves.
I think we'll see a pretty similar reaction to the upcoming Gears of War game.

I was pretty bummed about it too but 3D support is the lowest on my list of needs for a game. If it's ever going to inconvenience the dev team or take away from their effort on other aspects, go ahead and scrap it.

Sony could have moved around some resources and made sure it stayed in. Or not even sony, just the management within Santa Monica could have kept it in development.

I'm pissed, it works so damn well on the GOW:Collection 2

Curufinwe

I find it silly when people say stuff like this. It's in the Assassin's Creed thread too, but this dude is in the industry and should know better. We all know why this game exists. It's not rocket science.

The same reason Gears of War Judgement exists. Did Gies say the same thing about it?

Loudninja

Sony could have moved around some resources and made sure it stayed in. Or not even sony, just the management within Santa Monica could have kept it in development.

I'm pissed, it works so damn well on the GOW:Collection 2
It suck but I not going to be angry about it.

They obviously had alot on their plate this it.

Visceir

I don't know much about Geis, I had no idea he was supposedly biased towards MS, thats not my issue with the tweet and I dont suspect conspiracy.

I just think its unprofessional to publicly state your preconceived notions about a game you haven't played and then review it. We expect reviewers to have an open mind when they go into it, and I know they're human and thats impossible, but they probably shouldn't be stating that publicly.

Didn't mean to set off controversy with that, just saw it in an old GoW:A thread and thought it was interesting.

He was down on it on the Rebel FM podcast, mentioning that he got tired of GoW3 and didn't finish it (if I remember it right). I'm sure one could still objectively review a game while being tired of the franchise though, right?

GoW games have always seemed heavily story driven to me. You want to know what's next for Kratos and what kind of gods he will be facing next. His story was tied up in GoW3 and this really does seem like milking of the character to me.

This makes me also wonder why some people are hyped for "next gen GoW", wouldn't you much rather see a new IP or something?

M$ the best, yo

lol thats what aegis would probably say too.

Anyway,

Halo 3
Halo ODST
Halo Reach
Halo 4

Gears 1
Gears 2
Gears 3
Gears Judgment

vs

GOW 3
GOW A

Im tired of all 3 franchises to be honest and all of them need a shake up. I just hope the reviews for Gears reflect this "fatigue"

Kinyou

gamesradar said:
Ascension doesn't flesh out Kratos' life or give you better insight into why he becomes the ferocious avatar of anger. Instead, it just happens. Kratos isn't deeper for it, he's still just a blender--an excuse for you to spin around and act as a whirlwind of chains and blood and meat.
This is what I was afraid of. Will probably pick it up for some budget price.

About the graphic female scene, if anyone wants to know...

Pretty big SPOILERS:
That hoe was just turned back from an insane Kraken that tried to eat and impersonated your dying wife so you would feel ashamed and give up. I'd curb stomp that hoe as well.

Marleyman

Banned

Anyway,

Halo 3
Halo ODST
Halo Reach
Halo 4

Gears 1
Gears 2
Gears 3
Gears Judgment

vs

GOW 3
GOW A

Im tired of all 3 franchises to be honest and all of them need a shake up. I just hope the reviews for Gears reflect this "fatigue"

I don't understand; these franchises, while you think they need a "shake up" are big money makers. What kind of shake up are you looking for?

Zaventem

All the people with kaz and sony related avatars crying over a 7 need to go take a nap and hopefully edit your post when you come back so you don't having people quoting your embarrassing posts in the future.

Globox_82

Banned

Anyway,

Halo 3
HALO WARS
Halo ODST
Halo Reach
Halo 4

Gears 1
Gears 2
Gears 3
Gears Judgment

vs

GOW 3
GOW A

added Halo wars

Vire

All the people with kaz and sony related avatars crying over a 7 need to go take a nap and hopefully edit your post when you come back so you don't having people quoting your embarrassing posts in the future.

Indeed.

Some people's true colors are really showing through in this thread and it's pretty embarrassing.

Globox_82

Banned

don't worry we won't quote you. I'll take care of it, now go take that nap

Loudninja

Ugh I really dislike the avatar judging nonsense.

Kinyou

The first and second games gave us insight into why he becomes the ferocious avatar of anger. People just forget.
Why was he an asshole to the captain in GoW1 and lots of other innocents? It can't be just because Ares betrayed him because that has already happened in Ascension.

The Destructoid review pretty much says the opposite. So I wouldn't take that (or any review) as gospel.
Interesting. Will have a look at that.

Boss Man

Anyway,

Halo 3
Halo ODST
Halo Reach
Halo 4

Gears 1
Gears 2
Gears 3
Gears Judgment

vs

GOW 3
GOW A

Agreed on all counts, and I'm also interested to see how reviews handle Judgement (or really just Polygon, in particular). I thought most of the reviews sounded really fair.

moolhy

Banned
I wonder what comparisons can be drawn between the critical reception of the latest releases in Halo, Call of Duty and God of War...

Eff MGR. I dont want that boring shit in GOW. I want improvements in its level design.

MGR has combat gameplay god of war completely lacks at the moment. Originality. For god sake man we have been using blades since god knows when for starters.

Kratos went king kong on everything in god of war 3 and the story is over. It should have been done and dusted at this point. Let the man rest in peace.

Instead we get another prequel in a sea of prequels with same gameplay and so how is that going to hook us in. This project simply was 'let's milk kratos for some more money and lets not waste this glorious engine.

Should have been a new IP or a post kratos story.

As for geis, well lets see what he says about gears of war judgement.

BadAss2961

Even if it's obvious that reviewers can be biased, reading the reviews I get the same impression I got while playing the demo.
It's still a great action game, epic, brutal and all the tweaks they have added work really well.But you can't pretend to be impressed by the same things over and over. Look at how the Assassin's Creed series is being hit by critics and fans.
There's nothing wrong with a 8 average score, it's quite probably the score it deserves.
I think we'll see a pretty similar reaction to the upcoming Gears of War game.
Not to sound like a fanboy, but big MS IP's never seem to get much criticism from reviewers.

Going by fan reaction, Halo 4 and especially Gears 3 would've been the time to start seeing scores dip, but they didn't. Halo 3 was actually barely different from Halo 2, and wasn't even impressive graphically at its time of release.

I don't listen to reviews anymore.

demolitio

I know I'll like it and that's all that matters in the end, but these reviews aren't surprising given what's been said recently.

I don't get why so many people think the story in Ascension is forgettable or pointless. If they fail at telling a good story, fine I get that. But a lot of people and reviewers make it sound like the entire premise of the story is just weak and pointless. What is wrong with the story having to do with Kratos from earlier days? What is weak about a story being about Kratos escaping his blood oath with Ares. I always wondered how Kratos managed to just walk out on Ares after being tricked into killing his family. I'm glad they are going back to the family story of Kratos. I'd honestly say the premise of God of War 2 and 3 are a lot weaker. God of War 2 starts off with Kratos being the new God of War, and he's an asshole that has to be stopped in Olympus' eyes. Zeus kills him, and Kratos goes on a never-ending crusade to get revenge. The whole time in the back of my head of GoW2/3, I always kind of thought Zeus was right about Kratos in that aspect. The first God of War was about killing the god that tricked you into killing your family. This game is about escaping from the grasps of the god that tricked you into killing your family. I find that far more interesting.

Top Bottom