• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension reviews

Vidpixel

What?

I just played through God of War for the first time a couple weeks ago, and Kratos wasn't sympathetic. He's always had a soft spot for his family that he killed, of course, but in that game he's shown not giving a f*** about anyone else. He murders the boat captain (twice), and sacrifices that Spartan without batting an eye.

Well yeah, of course he's still an asshole, that's what his entire character is about. But he wanted to kill Ares for what happened to his family. In the second and third games, he just acts like a rage-filled drone merely for his own selfish reasons and mistakes, which were no where near as compelling or interesting.

nib95

Banned
In all fairness, my opinions regarding Gies bias were not ever based on any reviews, I didn't even know he was an editor for Polygon until very recently. I PM'd him a while back, only because I thought he was a Microsoft insider (employee, developer etc) and just wanted clarification. He then told me he was a member of the press, didn't realise it was Polygon.

I have implied in posts that it seems he has a pro Microsoft agenda, but that was based purely on different posts he himself made. Some regarding Durango and Orbis, instrumental in downplaying Orbis and coming up with creative ways to boost Durango, including the infamous secret sauce. There were also several Twitter posts that gave off a similar impression.

Well yeah, of course he's still an asshole, that's what his entire character is about. But he wanted to kill Ares for what happened to his family. In the second and third games, he just acts like a rage-filled drone merely for his own selfish reasons and mistakes, which were no where near as compelling or interesting.

So having a better reason for vengeance makes him more sympathetic?

Killing his family was his mistake too, y'know. He chose to give his life over to Ares, the god of war, and he went on to plunder and murder to his heart's content.

Reviews seem good, about what I expected.

For some reason God of War has always been my "it is what it is" series where I just want to go into it knowing exactly what I'm going to get and know I'll be satisfied when I come out the other side.

In that context I'll take a 8/10 "more of the same" game and be happy.

He was slightly sympathetic in GoW1 since Ares tricked him into killing his family. But he was still a giant asshole for the entire game so I didn't feel too bad for him.

Then GoW2 and 3 happened and he was just a giant dick to everyone all the time.

I'm certainly not interested in playing another game with Kratos in it and I hope they do a full reboot with a completely different pantheon. Like the Mayan gods.

Vidpixel

So having a better reason for vengeance makes him more sympathetic?

Killing his family was his mistake too, y'know. He chose to give his life over to Ares, the god of war, and he went on to plunder and murder to his heart's content.

I completely get what you're saying, but I still feel that
the whole end scene where you're fighting to save your family by giving them some of your life bar and whatnot was really well done and a pretty amazing way to combine storytelling with gameplay. That's probably my favorite scene in the whole series thus far.

Derrick01

Banned
I always thought Kratos being a giant asshole was supposed to be part of his appeal, if you can call it that. He did what he thought he had to to accomplish his goal and let nothing get in his way of that.

I have a problem trying to create a "person" where there isn't one. It rarely works in video games. Just look at Tomb Raider as the most recent example of a game trying to create some emotional person that we're supposed to connect to, only to have her end up as a mass murdering psychopath who actually seems to get some enjoyment out of slamming a pickax into someone's skull. She screams various phrases throughout the game like "take that" while gunning people down like an 80s action movie star. God of War would end up the same way if they tried to make him human.

Franchise fatigue has been set in for a lot of popular series near the end of the generation. Gamers want new experiences and hopefully next gen will bring those.

Sony santa monica's new ip for ps4 better be damn well awesome.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I always thought Kratos being a giant asshole was supposed to be part of his appeal, if you can call it that. He did what he thought he had to to accomplish his goal and let nothing get in his way of that.

I have a problem trying to create a "person" where there isn't one. It rarely works in video games. Just look at Tomb Raider as the most recent example of a game trying to create some emotional person that we're supposed to connect to, only to have her end up as a mass murdering psychopath who actually seems to get some enjoyment out of slamming a pickax into someone's skull. She screams various phrases throughout the game like "take that" while gunning people down like an 80s action movie star. God of War would end up the same way if they tried to make him human.

I was fine with Kratos being a giant asshole, but the Hope stuff in 3 was awful. He also is brutal to the extent of doing really stupid things, and plotwise the games have also made a lot of character concessions to pretty much stupefy everyone down to his level.

I completely get what you're saying, but I still feel that
the whole end scene where you're fighting to save your family by giving them some of your life bar and whatnot was really well done and a pretty amazing way to combine storytelling with gameplay. That's probably my favorite scene in the whole series thus far.

That was Cory Barlog's idea if I remember correctly, and Jaffe absolutely loves that marriage of a story and gameplay mechanic.

God of War shows more scenes showing remorse from Kratos over the death of his family, because that's central to that game's plot. But I don't know if that makes him more sympathetic in the game. Again, he's always been apathetic to everyone else in the series, including in God of War 1

Precisely the point, yeah. On pre-production of GoW, Jaffe tasked their character artist with coming up with a character with the central idea being "F*** you!"

I think they succeeded.

BadAss2961

Exactly...

You know one of those villains that does horrible things without a single thought for anyone but himself, and lives by his own screwed up logic? That's Kratos. We play as a bad guy among other bad guys, whereas usually we'd be controlling a random warrior or civilian fighting for noble reasons.

Kratos is badass, and being the bad guy has a lot of appeal.

Vidpixel

That was Cory Barlog's idea if I remember correctly, and Jaffe absolutely loves that marriage of a story and gameplay mechanic.

God of War shows more scenes showing remorse from Kratos over the death of his family, because that's central to that game's plot. But I don't know if that makes him more sympathetic in the game. Again, he's always been apathetic to everyone else in the series, including in God of War 1

Perhaps sympathetic is a bad word to use, but you (as the player) do at the very least want him to succeed in killing Ares by the time everything, in relation to the story, is unraveled.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Watching heaps of footage

it looks like the game mainly consists of fighting waves of re spawning enemies with the odd boss thrown in to break things up...

:"(

Franchise fatigue has been set in for a lot of popular series near the end of the generation. Gamers want new experiences and hopefully next gen will bring those.

Sony santa monica's new ip for ps4 better be damn well awesome.

I think God of War, as a series, can keep going, and keep being successful as "the epic scale cinematic combat game," but they need a new main character, a new fighting style, and a new mythology. I'd personally prefer the character to be more of a "jack of all trades, master of ALL" type as opposed to Kratos having the Blades of Chaos be his one real style. More opportunities for fleshing out combat, finishers, and giving the player lots of options.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Watching heaps of footage

it looks like the game mainly consists of fighting waves of re spawning enemies with the odd boss thrown in to break things up...

:"(

OH MY FUCKING GOD!

God of War plays like....

God of War

What Madness is this!

Next you'll tell me there's Tropes against women in this?

zoukka

In all fairness, my opinions regarding Gies bias were not ever based on any reviews, I didn't even know he was an editor for Polygon until very recently. I PM'd him a while back, only because I thought he was a Microsoft insider (employee, developer etc) and just wanted clarification. He then told me he was a member of the press, didn't realise it was Polygon.

I have implied in posts that it seems he has a pro Microsoft agenda, but that was based purely on different posts he himself made. Some regarding Durango and Orbis, instrumental in downplaying Orbis and coming up with creative ways to boost Durango, including the infamous secret sauce. There were also several Twitter posts that gave off a similar impression.

All game journalists have preferences. Whether this affects his reviews in some negative way is completely unrelated. If he's a professional that is.

You guys need to give it a rest.

Sid

Even better, new hero out to kill Kratos and have Kratos brutally kill you (the new hero) at the end of the game instead and then you go and fight the final boss as Kratos
Bet no one would expect that lol
lol that is epic.

Maybe reboot next gen.

- Goddess of War - featuring Nariko

OT. Reviews are lower than expected, I think typically most people expect a big First party title from Sony (especially something like GOW) to score in the high 8/ low 9's, but if this is by and large a by the numbers cash in, with multiplayer tacked on I can understand why it's reviewing the way it is.

Personally I loved the demo and after actually reading a few of the reviews (rather than just focusing on a number), it sounds like another great single player adventure. Longer than expected too with ign pegging the game at around 9 hours. The idea of a more humanised Kratos makes sense in relation to the timeline of this game, and also sounds like a nice change of pace from ultra pissed off, douche bag Kratos.

Sid

Now I hope SSM is well prepared to bring this franchise to the PS4 by making the next trilogy way more epic than GoW III,they must have realized by now that if they don't top their previous entry by a lot the game will get panned in reviews compared to the other entries.I hope for a major shake up in the formula including the level design.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I think it's BS that this game gets stoned for story and camera but then there's MGR...

I do have problems with camera part

It zooms out to much

I have played and Platinumed all 5 GOW's, in Ascension, I do lose Kratos from time to time when I played the Demo

Shit pans out too far, I'm like where the fuck did he (I) go?

I mistakenly brushed R3 and Kratos rolled forward during a pan out zoom effect, I just saw a white blip, then enemies fell and couldn't see him at all

Had to double jump to get my bearings again

I think it's BS that this game gets stoned for story and camera but then there's MGR...

MGR gets a pass because its deliberately stupid and OTT to the point where it stops being bad and just becomes awesome. God of War tries to do things in a more serious way, and while total fantasy, it still comes off as having a carefully constructed and cared for narrative. MGR just didn't give a shit.

pixelbox

I do have problems with camera part

It zooms out to much

I have played and Platinumed all 5 GOW's, in Ascension, I do lose Kratos from time to time when I played the Demo

Shit pans out too far, I'm like where the fuck did he (I) go?

I mistakenly brushed R3 and Kratos rolled forward during a pan out zoom effect, I just saw a white blip, then enemies fell and couldn't see him at all

Had to double jump to get my bearings again
lol I know it has problems, and its valid. But MGR getting a higher score is nonsense.

Papercuts

lol I know it has problems, and its valid. But MGR getting a higher score is nonsense.

Why? A game is made up of more than just story and camera. Enemy formations, combat systems, boss battles, level design, etc. etc.

Also, I am going to hope you have fully completed Ascension and MGR to be saying such a thing. If not, excuse me as I visit the hospital for my exploded brain.

Arch Stanton

Neo Member
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I expected GOW Ascension to garner reviews in the 7 to 8-ish range. If it's "more of the same", I'll still happily play it. Nevertheless, I do understand the creeping sense of familiarity... which of course, breeds contempt.

If there is an actual God of War 4 at some point down the road, I'd like to see the game still retain Kratos as the primary protagonist, but perhaps meld the game play to be kind of like Zelda where there's a large over world and underworld (temples, perhaps?), more fiendish puzzles, and of course, combat. In this version, Kratos would have to destroy the remnants of the Greek pantheon (such that they are after GOW3), as well as gods from other mythologies.

I know that battling gods from other mythologies is something that has been brought up before as a possible alternative to the formula... In fact, wasn't there a version where Jaffe offered up the idea that after Kratos killed off Zeus, his death lead to the sudden emergence of a portal which allowed for other gods to invade Kratos' world (which in turn, would allow Kratos to travel to their worlds and bring destruction).

In essence, it was the power of Zeus that had kept the other gods at bay (I believe Athena said in GOW2 that "Zeus IS Olympus", if memory serves), and with the vacuum created by his death, it lead to a power struggle amongst Norse and Egyptian gods. I'm sorry, I'm not remembering the whole thing... But I thought bringing that element coupled with perhaps a Zelda/Demon Soul's like world might be a viable option for the series to ponder.

Sid

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I expected GOW Ascension to garner reviews in the 7 to 8-ish range. If it's "more of the same", I'll still happily play it. Nevertheless, I do understand the creeping sense of familiarity... which of course, breeds contempt.

If there is an actual God of War 4 at some point down the road, I'd like to see the game still retain Kratos as the primary protagonist, but perhaps meld the game play to be kind of like Zelda where there's a large over world and underworld (temples, perhaps?), more fiendish puzzles, and of course, combat. In this version, Kratos would have to destroy the remnants of the Greek pantheon (such that they are after GOW3), as well as gods from other mythologies.

I know that battling gods from other mythologies is something that has been brought up before as a possible alternative to the formula... In fact, wasn't there a version where Jaffe offered up the idea that after Kratos killed off Zeus, his death lead to the sudden emergence of a portal which allowed for other gods to invade Kratos' world (which in turn, would allow Kratos to travel to their worlds and bring destruction).

In essence, it was the power of Zeus that had kept the other gods at bay (I believe Athena said in GOW2 that "Zeus IS Olympus", if memory serves), and with the vacuum created by his death, it lead to a power struggle amongst Norse and Egyptian gods. I'm sorry, I'm not remembering the whole thing... But I thought bringing that element coupled with perhaps a Zelda/Demon Soul's like world might be a viable option for the series to ponder.
You're right on with everything,I want it to be 'open' like Darksiders 1.

Narolf

Banned
I don't mind journos speaking their minds openly. In fact I want more people to do so.

That's because they aren't. If you mean the profession of being a writer.

And they definitely should when it comes to gaming. Also, a side note... in case you missed my edit, there was a typo in my previous post: Of course, but journalists are supposed to be impartial; not that I'm aiming it at him in particular.

Yep, that's what I meant.

Papercuts

I don't mind journos speaking their minds openly. In fact I want more people to do so.

I was going to say, I actually appreciate the fact that aegis openly said the comment being unsure of Ascension's existence, and I'm not sure why it's getting jumped on. Both this game and Gears of War: Judgement have been getting that thrown at them CONSTANTLY. That does not mean they still won't be good, or as if it's trying to suggest there isn't a team of talented folks slaving over making the best product they can. I have that feeling about both games, but am still getting them both and will still be able to critically analyze them for what they do well and falter at, like any other game.

Hell, if anything I imagine going into a game with a negative mindset actually helps more often than not. Games more frequently surprise that way, and it avoids the ugly issue of blinding hype.

And they definitely should when it comes to gaming. Also, a side note... in case you missed my edit, there was a typo in my previous post: Of course, but journalists are supposed to be impartial; not that I'm aiming it at him in particular.

Yep, that's what I meant.

Critics are just not meant to let their biases sway their writing. The bias itself is unavoidable as a human being.

zoukka

I was going to say, I actually appreciate the fact that aegis openly said the comment being unsure of Ascension's existence, and I'm not sure why it's getting jumped on. Both this game and Gears of War: Judgement have been getting that thrown at them CONSTANTLY. That does not mean they still won't be good, or as if it's trying to suggest there isn't a team of talented folks slaving over making the best product they can. I have that feeling about both games, but am still getting them both and will still be able to critically analyze them for what they do well and falter at, like any other game.

Hell, if anything I imagine going into a game with a negative mindset actually helps more often than not. Games more frequently surprise that way, and it avoids the ugly issue of blinding hype.

Optimally he should approach the game as neutral as possible. It's not a big feat even though you have some opinions about the series in general.

Top Bottom