• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War team considered setting the new game in Egypt

I am honestly happy with either setting, they were the two I was hoping for Kratos to come and mess up.

Can't wait to crush Thor's head with his own hammer.

Javin98

Banned
Personally, I would have preferred an Egyptian setting. Fighting mummies and sphinxes sounds radical. On the bright side, Norse mythology allows some really awesome dragon boss fights.

Hope some studio from Sony will pick Egypt mythology for new IP. Isn't next assasins rumored to be egypt setting ? At least we have one game to look forward and I want to kill some mummies.

Qwark

I'm not too familiar with mythology chronology. After Norse, is it still possible to go do Egyptian (Edit: Of course it's always possible to reboot it any which way, I'm just wondering if the timelines would make sense), or was Egyptian in an era before Norse mythology? Both sound rad though. I'd still like to see a dark Egyptian setting, whether it's God of War, or a different series.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just imagine that face smashing button mashing QTE from God of War 3 when you take out Zeus but replace Zeus with Jesus. Let the controversy start!

Dinjooh

Personally, I would have preferred an Egyptian setting. Fighting mummies and sphinxes sounds radical. On the bright side, Norse mythology allows some really awesome dragon boss fights.

I'm personally looking forward to their take on the Jörmungandr.

I read this so many times as a kid:

1540310.jpg

Dargor

I think his reasons are completely acceptable. If they went with Egypt things would have gone a completely different way. They wouldn't be able to do what they want at all in a more "civilized" culture.

There are some crazy stuff about the egyptian gods, but they always felt really tame to me when compared with the Greek/Roman and Norse ones.

Thewonandonly

I'm sure they'll use it next if God of war continues could be cool
I thing God of war will always stay cool. It's the only game series I know of where you beat the hell out of gods. If that's not cool then I don't want to be hip....

plus it looks like it's going to stay fresh un like halo :/ next GOW saga give me FPS VR ;)

vg260

Bummer. I wanted a completely fresh take in the Egyptian mythology without Kratos. Not interested in the new game at all.

A reboot without Kratos in the future with a focus on pure action gameplay and I'm back on board, otherwise, I'll fine without GoW.

Javin98

Banned
Nah I want Kratos to take on Jesus, Muhammed and you know what, he can putch Buddha in the gut too.

Edit: Or rip off Shiva's arms and beat em to death with them.

There's always time for this someday
They should also do David Jaffe's vision of Kratos killing Jesus and expand it to all 3 major religions today with Moses, Abraham, Muhammad, Satan, the Angles and God being bosses...HUGE potential but will never happen as it offends too many people and is a really big risk to take
Are you two atheists or something? :p

Not that I mind, I'm not a religious person at all.

I'm personally looking forward to their take on the Jörmungandr.

I read this so many times as a kid:

1540310.jpg
Holy shit, lots of potential there.

Illucio

Banned
I'm not too familiar with mythology chronology. After Norse, is it still possible to go do Egyptian, or was Egyptian in an era before Norse mythology? Both sound rad though. I'd still like to see a dark Egyptian setting, whether it's God of War, or a different series.

Egypt was one of the earliest Myth's. But if they want to tackle current day religions as well then well.. It's mixed information.

Egypt can come at any time they want to story-wise. But a story about Kratos great great grand father or grand mother (on his mother side) killing the Egyptian gods would be entertaining.

edit: And people should be excited for Norse myth just because we can get God Of War: Ragnarok.

Thewonandonly

There's always time for this someday
They should also do David Jaffe's vision of Kratos killing Jesus and expand it to all 3 major religions today with Moses, Abraham, Muhammad, Satan, the Angles and God being bosses...HUGE potential but will never happen as it offends too many people and is a really big risk to take
It's a risk and reward. Like tell me who wouldn't play a game where you beat up God. Fox would have a field day tho

Qwark

Egypt was one of the earliest Myth's. But if they want to tackle current day religions as well then well.. It's mixed information.

Egypt can come at any time they want to story-wise. But a story about Kratos great great grand father or grand mother (on his mother side) killing the Egyptian gods would be entertaining.

edit: And people should be excited for Norse myth just because we can get God Of War: Ragnarok.

Thanks for the info, very interesting. So, if I'm following this, if Kratos went to Egypt right after this, there would still be some gods to kill, but they could do some kind of time travel/ancestor thing to work in the really interesting mythos.

ActWan

Are you two atheists or something? :p

Not that I mind, I'm not a religious person at all.

Holy shit, lots of potential there.

I believe in the Old Gods.

But why are you asking us, because the religions we stated are more popular? Everyone here are calling for a mass murder of the entire Egyptian pantheon and no one bats an eye!

Going Norse fits better with the God of War ethos. I'm not quite as well versed in Egyptian mythology as I am in Norse mythology, but IIRC there are way more very large dudes to climb on and stab in Norse myths than in Egyptian myths.

Bishop89

Egypt would have been much better. Never been a fan of Norse mythology :/ but I'm still getting it coz I love Kratos and I love gow.

Fucking up anubis, raptors etc.. Would have been insane, and that sand tech..

Missed opportunity

Javin98

Banned
I believe in the Old Gods.

But why are you asking us, because the religions we stated are more popular? Everyone here are calling for a mass murder of the entire Egyptian pantheon and no one bats an eye!
Well, no one worships those old Gods anymore, so no one gives a shit if a video game character butchers them. Imagine the backlash if Kratos murdered Jesus, or even worse, Prophet Muhammad. Them terrorists will be on the President's doorstep. :p

Zomba13

I hope they get to Egypt someday. Egypt probably has my favourite pantheon of gods. I just love how they are traditionally depicted with the heads of animals and how the Pharaohs are like their conduit to humans.

Norse is still super cool though.

ActWan

Well, no one worships those old Gods anymore, so no one gives a shit if a video game character butchers them. Imagine the backlash if Kratos murdered Jesus, or even worse, Prophet Muhammad. Them terrorists will be on the President's doorstep. :p

People are actually still worshiping them, but way less than before...and that's what I said in my first post. It won't happen :(

McBryBry

For me, Egyptian and Norse mythology are both pretty high up, but Egyptian probably edged it out.

However, Kratos... I think Norse will work better for him than Egyptian. While Egyptian gods did some fucked up things (like plenty of religions) I feel like aesthetically, the Norse mythology fits the Kratos character better. I'm not really sure why. But from what we've seen, they worked rather well.

Japanese Gods, Aztech, hell even Indian would be industry.

Kratos vs. All the Mythologies would be interesting. And when Kratos runs out of Gods they can all be revived and then he must fight every single one of them at once.

Now this would be the most fun GoW If it was still same old hack n slash. I don't mind Norse and/or Egyptian , but we have seen so many games set in those. Throw a wild card out there!

Top Bottom