• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War team considered setting the new game in Egypt

EGM1966

That seems more appropriate choice if I'm honest. Geographically feels right and mythos feels aligned too.

Norse works with multiple "gods" of course but it feels pretty "separate" from Greek legends to me due to geography and architectural iconography.

But hey, Norse I guess is the bolder choice so curious to see how it plays out. Still interested though in terms of the gameplay/approach detail thus far noted either way.

Illucio

Banned
Thanks for the info, very interesting. So, if I'm following this, if Kratos went to Egypt right after this, there would still be some gods to kill, but they could do some kind of time travel/ancestor thing to work in the really interesting mythos.

For the most part yes. Egyptian Myth never truly ended in the literal sense, but much like the Roman Gods from God of War, the belief of them died off as people were able to poke holes into the stories as people climbed mount olympus and found there was no gods. And they discovered there weren't Gods hiding out on islands.

Then again there are still people who believe in the Gods still in some form.

So they can tackle all of the pantheons they want, the only thing limited them is any religion or mytho that starts well after Greek and Norse mytho.

Thewonandonly

One thing I'm worried about this game is just how epic it's going to be. Now I know fighting smaller scale stuff like that troll will be awsome, but what about fucking Giants. The thing I love the most of GoW is the giant ass bosses. How are those going to work with the new combat system. Fighting that giant wolf better be epic.

Also I'm worried about your son being their the whole time. Hopefully it doesn't tale the game down to much because I'm 100 percent down for the story.

Imagine if GoW 4 was in Egypt, and the E3 demo featured Kratos, a strong, tall white man going to Africa and slaughtering black people and black God's. Now you know why there won't be a GoW in Egypt.

Javin98

Banned
People are actually still worshiping them, but way less than before...and that's what I said in my first post. It won't happen :(
Well, the number of people still worshipping those Gods are so tiny that they are practically insignificant, LOL. You know Muslim and Christianity are among the main religions in the world now? :p

In a world where everyone gives zero shits about religions, it could work. But not in this world. :p

The Norse mythology is just a better fit for Kratos in general. His design, his personality, etc. Sure it looks like Skyrim, but is that such a bad thing? It would have been incredibly weird if Kratos had gone randomly to Egypt. Like, what reasons would he have had for going there? At least Scandinavia is more similar to what he knows.

I'm not against it, but I'm glad they chose what they did.

tcrunch

They considered it, then realized Kratos having a long qte sex scene with a cow-headed goddess might give the wrong impression.

(maybe next time!)

SgtCobra

Egyptian mythology would've been much and much better imo, fighting Anubis, Horus, Sobek, Seth, Ra, yes please. We were thaught about these guys back at elementary school and that whole mythology has intrigued me ever since.
It probably has to do with the fact that the only Norse gods I know are Odin and Thor, and also that kraken but that's not a god heh.
But Norse should be pretty cool too, me not knowing anything about it only will make the first playthrough much more mysterious and whatnot.

Apathy

Personally I prefer Norse to Greek mythology, so the setting for the new GoW is better for me.

BTW, Midgard Serpent epic fight is almost certainly in the game and it's going to be gigantic and you'll probably run on it's back.

ActWan

Well, the number of people still worshipping those Gods are so tiny that they are practically insignificant, LOL. You know Muslim and Christianity are among the main religions in the world now? :p

In a world where everyone gives zero shits about religions, it could work. But not in this world. :p

Yes, but these are still people...IMO it's double standards talking about killing off one pantheon freely and not about another, based on how many people believe in them. People who won't accept the whole Muslim-Christian-Jewish pantheon being killed in GOW shouldn't accept that happening to the Egyptian Greek and Nordic ones.
And yeah I agree, it won't happen in our world sadly...maybe in a million years we'll have new religions

Kraftwerk

Have they explained how the Norse gods exist in the same world as the Roman ones? I mean, they were never referenced in the first three games where they ?

Griss

Norse mythology is played out, I would have been all over an Egyptian setting.

That said I still think the game looks great.

kromeo

The Norse mythology is just a better fit for Kratos in general. His design, his personality, etc. Sure it looks like Skyrim, but is that such a bad thing? It would have been incredibly weird if Kratos had gone randomly to Egypt. Like, what reasons would he have had for going there? At least Scandinavia is more similar to what he knows.

I'm not against it, but I'm glad they chose what they did.

That would be my worry, the landscape in Skyrim was hideously dull for me, hope the game isn't all snowy woods and caves

PaulBizkit

Egypt ? That sounds awesome!! Like, there could be a desert level, and then another desert level, but then we can have a level with more sand!

Then an oasis...

And then, more desert levels!!!

OnTopic: Now, honestly speaking, i know GoW never had that much variation with locations (Kratos goes to hell on, at least, 3 or 4 games) but Egypt sounds a bit restrictive. Sure, you have the desert, oasis, maybe some cities... but i think that would be it.

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't get people comparing last of us to Sony's recent slate of games? So anything that takes it serious is last of us territory? We can't push the medium forward? So we dont get same sequels like gears, Halo etc.

You don't think these slate of current games won't impact how Microsoft approaches their games. Instead of looking at them as a fiscal product.

That's the difference IMHO between Sonys approach to games and Microsoft.

Arc 1: The anti hero/villain(Greek mythology)
Arc 2: Redemption(Norse mythology)
Arc 3: The true hero(Egyptian mythology)

Egyptian mythology does seem like it should be the true end to the series, since it's really the origin of Greek mythology and most of what we think of when we think of ancient religion.

It would make sense for Kratos to die at the end of this arc and for his son to be the playable character in the Egypt arc.

Arc 1: The anti hero/villain(Greek mythology)
Arc 2: Redemption(Norse mythology)
Arc 3: The true hero(Egyptian mythology)

Egyptian mythology does seem like it should be the true end to the series, since it's really the origin of Greek mythology and most of what we think of when we think of ancient religion.

It would make sense for Kratos to die at the end of this arc and for his son to be the playable character in the Egypt arc.

Yeah, I had the same thought. Transitioning to Norse Mythology and his son, who then finds himself as another stranger in a strange land when he finds himself in Egypt. Especially would make it really interesting with the idea of people that try to become gods on earth like the pharaohs

Corpsepyre

Banned
So, I have a question. Do these Gods exist independently? A pantheon for every location? Or do you think they took over once the Greek gods died out?

DemoCracy

The Egyptian mythology is fantastic. I wish they study Persian mythology and think about making a new GOW based on it. In Persian mythology there are many giants and creatures such as Daeva.

Javin98

Banned
Yes, but these are still people...IMO it's double standards talking about killing off one pantheon freely and not about another, based on how many people believe in them. People who won't accept the whole Muslim-Christian-Jewish pantheon being killed in GOW shouldn't accept that happening to the Egyptian Greek and Nordic ones.
And yeah I agree, it won't happen in our world sadly...maybe in a million years we'll have new religions
Hehe, now I imagine you as the kind of the guy who just goes around hitting people who preach about religion.

Just kidding. :p

Thewonandonly

Yeah, I had the same thought. Transitioning to Norse Mythology and his son, who then finds himself as another stranger in a strange land when he finds himself in Egypt. Especially would make it really interesting with the idea of people that try to become gods on earth like the pharaohs
Tag line:
Your father was the God of war, now it's your turn

Looking forward to God of War 2 using Egyptian gods, coming in 2023 (early estimate).

The dragon at the end of the new GoW sold me already, so I am ok with their current setting choice.

ActWan

Hehe, now I imagine you as the kind of the guy who just goes around hitting people who preach about religion.

Just kidding. :p

I actually participate in religious ceremonies and holidays for fun because my family is a little religious...but yeah I may sound a little like an extreme atheist when talking about religion, I understand :p

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Imo a true GOW game with some good gameplay and story evolutions and Egyptian setting would have been better than the current The Last Of Us: Vikings Edition imo... and i have never liked GOW.

Javin98

Banned
I actually participate in religious ceremonies and holidays for fun because my family is a little religious...but yeah I may sound a little like an extreme atheist when talking about religion, I understand :p
No worries, like I said earlier, not a religious person myself. And I too, only participate in religious activities because of my family.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm personally looking forward to their take on the Jörmungandr.

I read this so many times as a kid:

1540310.jpg

This fight, whenever they get to it and we know they will, has the potential to be the most amazing set piece in the entire series. Jormungandr is supposed to wrap around the entire planet like a belt, imagine Kratos wielding Thor's hammer taking on a boss that makes all the Titan battles combined look like nothing.

I can just see Kratos watching as the ocean splits in half as a giant snake/dragon monster rises from the depths and then ending the fight in the stratosphere as Kratos bashes its brains in with Mjolnir.

cormack12

Gold Member
Egyptian mythology is about the pharaohs as embodiments of the gods on earth and there's a lot more about civilisation - it's less isolated, less barren...

This is exactly why Egyptian would have made more sense. I may be remembering this wrong, but in GOWIII Athena wants the power of Pandora's box for herself. Kratos chooses not to give it to her and sends it to all of mankind. Athena's words are:...'they will not know what to do with it....'

Cut to the Pharoahs, gaining this corrupting power and thinking of themselves as gods. Just seemed a logical step to make. I'm sure they'll do well with the Norse lore and myths, I just thought the transition was easier to Egyptian.

Thewonandonly

This fight, whenever they get to it and we know they will, has the potential to be the most amazing set piece in the entire series. Jormungandr is supposed to wrap around the entire planet like a belt, imagine Kratos wielding Thor's hammer taking on a boss that makes all the Titan battles combined look like nothing.

I can just see Kratos watching as the ocean splits in half as a giant snake/dragon monster rises from the depths and then ending the fight in the stratosphere as Kratos bashes its brains in with Mjolnir.
Holy shit I don't know anything about Norse mythology but this sounds incredibly epic.

Top Bottom