• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War team considered setting the new game in Egypt

Ullus

Seriously, someone explain to me how Norse mythology is overused.

Using a couple of Norse names in random JRPGs does not count.

Sesha

I expect they did. I wouldn't have expected them to have considered Mesopotamia, Japan, Polynesia or Mesoamerica.

I'm not too familiar with mythology chronology. After Norse, is it still possible to go do Egyptian (Edit: Of course it's always possible to reboot it any which way, I'm just wondering if the timelines would make sense), or was Egyptian in an era before Norse mythology? Both sound rad though. I'd still like to see a dark Egyptian setting, whether it's God of War, or a different series.

Myths are always ahistorical, and take place in a "time before time" so to speak, when the world is in a more primordial or "Golden Age" state, so it's impossible to do a chronology. Historically, Ancient Egypt and Egyptian polytheism was the oldest, followed by Ancient Greek, then Norse.

It should be noted that the events of Greek and Norse legends and the Norse sagas, on the other hand, all have a "historical" dimension, meaning they take place during "history", in a time when the world, where the places, the geology and political geography, resembles the one the people of those cultures actually lived in.

It definitely would've been cool to have it in a non-white culture for a change.

Ancient Greece was not a "white" culture, per se. I blame this on European culture and in later years Hollywood. Ancient Greece was a diverse mixing pot of various ethnicities, and the ancient Greek religion, if you can call it that, was a hodgepodge of various cults and sects existing under the banner of the Hellenic/Athenian/Olympian gods. The gods were usually considered whatever skin color the people that believed in them or heard the myths thought they looked like. God of War is definitely whitewashed.

vpance

Hope they revisit Ancient Greece, even in a flashback or something. Would be a shame not to see it again with next gen visuals.

Arkeband

Banned
The best part about Egypt is that Kratos could get into some biblical knock-down drag-out with Moses.

Actually, considering the original trajectory of the series, pissing off the Judeo-Christian God would be the way the series would finally cliffhanger.

Well if he start killing gods then Ragnarok is upon us. So i guess it starts with a 3 year winter not so bad but after that mountains will crumble and the wolf of Fenriz is free and Jörmungandr will rise from the depths.

Shit breaks lose and the sky get cut in half, moon and sun gets eaten and Hel will sail on a ship made of human nails. The world is set on fire and falls into Ginnunagap.

thx Dad of war

The thing is, Egyptian mythology doesn't even need Kratos. There are enough interesting stories to be told just straight adapting local legends there.

The story of Osris, Horus, Isis and Set alone would make a great game.

jett

D-Member
Either would've been a good choice.

AssCreed is doing Egypt next year apparently, although probably not mythology, but still for the best that we don't get two games that take place in the same location.

Why, just why. Nordic is so overused, they should've kept Egypt.

All these Norse games, why can't I hold them!?

Wait, I'm not holding shit.

They should've gone all out and used aztec mythology.

Kratos is so killing happy that he might even become good buddies with Huitzilopochtli.

Say they do go to Egypt next... what comes AFTER that? Greek, Norse, Egyptian Mythology.... are there any other "well known" mythologies?

4Tran

From a commercial point of view, Norse Mythology seems more familiar and so is more likely to resonate with the general public. I think that the Egyptian pantheon would have been generally a more interesting choice, but it would have required more work to educate gamers on what Egypt was and how their gods factor into things. Other pantheons would also have been really interesting, but those would be the top two in terms of accessibility. Something like Aztec Mythology probably wouldn't work simply because the gods are so unfamiliar and their names look so hard to pronounce.

Egypt from what I know (and I know nth about Norse, lol) is a bit more gruesome and strange. But that may be because I often associate Norse with Santa Claus and Trolls. :")
Odin rides the eight-legged horse Sleipnir. Sleipnir is the son of Loki - Loki is the mother. Norse mythology isn't considered strange because the general public is only exposed to the sanitized version. It's just that lots of the goofy and strange stories don't get told. Other things like Dwarfs, Elves, and Dark Elves all come from Norse Mythology.

I'm personally looking forward to their take on the Jörmungandr.

I read this so many times as a kid:

1540310.jpg

This and Fenrir are why I prefer the Norse setting instead of Egyptian. Gonna be tight!

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Japanese Gods, Aztech, hell even Indian would be interesting.

Kratos vs. All the Mythologies would be interesting. And when Kratos runs out of Gods they can all be revived and then he must fight every single one of them at once.

The problem with Indian Gods would be that the religion is still pretty alive and kicking. While Hindus are kinda nonchalant in general, you can't have Kratos fighting and killing Gods of 1 billion people.

I love both mythologies. I would have been happy with either.

Kratos does make a damn good bearded axe wielding maniac though.

Personally I feel Kratos stature suits the Norse mythos better. For some reason I feel like a new character would suit the Egyptian mythos better. Someone more lean and agile. Someone more cunning and less brutish.

4Tran

The problem with Indian Gods would be that the religion is still pretty alive and kicking. While Hindus are kinda nonchalant in general, you can't have Kratos fighting and killing Gods of 1 billion people.
Yeah, you don't really want to do that with extant religions, especially if it's meant to be a game for a mass audience. And it's ridiculously easy to screw up with religions as complex as Hinduism - just look at Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

awesome these were the two settings that i was hoping for them to use. I'm guessing they'll do egypt in some way shape or form eventually.

papo

It would have been awesome but I am all for the Nordic gods.

And for f* sake how can you say the setting look just like TLOU when it is probably set in a Nordic country, not North America. When was the last time you saw runes in the US?

I think the TLOU comment came from the cameras angles and movement.

tskeeve

I preferred Egypt initially, but honestly, after thinking about it, we haven't really had a lot of Norse mythology in games either (besides a few names or stereotypes of vikings here and there).

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is that mythological Egypt would probably be too reminiscent of mythological Greece, given that they are both Mediterranean cultures. The Norse setting is a large enough departure to be interesting from an environmental art perspective, and thematically Kratos seems to fit nicely as well.

I preferred Egypt initially, but honestly, after thinking about it, we haven't really had a lot of Norse mythology in games either (besides a few names or stereotypes of vikings here and there).

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is that mythological Egypt would probably be too reminiscent of mythological Greece, given that they are both Mediterranean cultures. The Norse setting is a large enough departure to be interesting from an environmental art perspective, and thematically Kratos seems to fit nicely as well.

There are a lot of minor RPGs and PC games with norse mythology, but not many of them were blockbuster titles with a massive budget so I really think that we need something like this, I want something big with norse mythology.

geordiemp

According to the original script by David Jaffe and Cory Barlog the series is supposed to take place in all 3 regions: Greece, Egypt and Scandinavia. If they still follow it, the next part of the saga will be set in Egypt after Kratos is finished in Scandinavia. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter if Scandinavia is before Egypt.

Yeah, whynotboth,gif

Malice215

I'm sure the design of either mythology would be fantastic. I just feel like a different character with a different set of motives would have been a better fit than slapping Kratos with a beard and a kid to raise into Norse mythology while hanging on to parts from the previous series.

Would have been cool to see Kratos fight Anubis, but I'm sure Norse mythology resonates more with the general audience, and is far enough a departure from what we saw in the previous games than Egypt would be given it's proximity to Greece.

Add a kid and some feels, and you have an instant hit.

Top Bottom