• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War team considered setting the new game in Egypt

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Once Kratos decimates most of the human gods over the next few games I'm hoping he sets his sights on Cthulhu and rips off each every one of those tentacles on his squid face. Kratos doesn't need a boat to put it back to sleep!

naitosan

Aw man, Egypt would be pretty awesome. I'm still not quite sold with Norse mythology in God of War. The demo didn't really do anything for me, hope next time they show new demo, it'll be different.

Edit: Honestly I felt it looks too similar (color/theme) to The Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, and Uncharted 4. Sometimes I think Neil Druckmann is looking over those games. :p

egyptian_gods_by_katemaxpaint-d8ra9sm.jpg

And lots of gold!!
One of these things is not like the others.

CrazyDude

Ancient Greece was not a "white" culture, per se. I blame this on European culture and in later years Hollywood. Ancient Greece was a diverse mixing pot of various ethnicities, and the ancient Greek religion, if you can call it that, was a hodgepodge of various cults and sects existing under the banner of the Hellenic/Athenian/Olympian gods. The gods were usually considered whatever skin color the people that believed in them or heard the myths thought they looked like. God of War is definitely whitewashed.

What is white culture? Are people from the middle east not white? Are only light hair and pale skinned people white? Then what do "race" do middle eastern people belong to? Ancient Greeks didn't look much different from how they look today. Obviously there are some changes, but generally speaking they are the same. I do agree that a lot of depictions of Greeks in popular culture looks more Northern European.

Sesha

Say they do go to Egypt next... what comes AFTER that? Greek, Norse, Egyptian Mythology.... are there any other "well known" mythologies?

How "well known" is well known? It's a bit relative. The other two most well known would probably be Abrahamic mythology, although Judaic, Christian and Islamic mythology are different in a lot of ways. You have Vedic mythology which was polytheistic in nature, and what we know is found mostly in the Rigveda, and then Hindu mythology which includes the myths and legends found in the sacred texts of Hinduism, the four Vedas, Upanishads, Puranas, Ramayana, Mahabharata, etc.

Outside of maybe Vedic mythology, I don't think either Abrahamic or Hindu mythology fits in the cosmology of the God of War universe as we've seen so far.

What is white culture? Are people from the middle east not white? Are only light hair and pale skinned people white? Then what do "race" do middle eastern people belong to? Ancient Greeks didn't look much different from how they look today. Obviously there are some changes, but generally speaking they are the same. I do agree that a lot of depictions of Greeks in popular culture looks more Northern European.

Don't ask me. The person I quoted was the one that used "white" culture. I assumed the poster was American and thus underpreted the phrase as meaning the cultures of white Anglo-Saxon or European (in the modern geographical sense) peoples. As Ancient Greece was multicultural and multiethnical, that's what I chose to comment on.

Illucio

Banned
The problem with Indian Gods would be that the religion is still pretty alive and kicking. While Hindus are kinda nonchalant in general, you can't have Kratos fighting and killing Gods of 1 billion people.

I guess you could say the same for any other major religion as well, but there is nothing saying a game company can't. Just a bunch of angry people who would had never bought the game anyway raging that we could kill their god (or gods) in a game. Yet it's perfectly okay to do that with other god pantheons.

Let Kratos fight Jesus or Vishnu. That would be amazing. Let haters hate.

Balb

I guess you could say the same for any other major religion as well, but there is nothing saying a game company can't. Just a bunch of angry people who would had never bought the game anyway raging that we could kill their god (or gods) in a game. Yet it's perfectly okay to do that with other god pantheons.

Let Kratos fight Jesus or Vishnu. That would be amazing. Let haters hate.

A first-party publisher would never let this happen.

Visceir

Can't help but think they would have gotten a lot of flak for an egyptian setting as people would have been pissed no matter which route they would have taken with it.

Norse mythology is way more awesome anyway.

Glad they went with Norse for this one. It's the setting I really wanted.

That said I'd love to go kill egyptian god in the next game.

anubis_by_king043-d4strga.jpg

ra_by_trejoeeee-d86t01s.jpg

cf0f4b160b359fde4fd1f6a8f8974f6e.jpg

Both could be fantastic, but it also depends on how they use it.

I feel that besides Jotun and The Banner Saga, there isn't much that really represents Norse Mythology.

Unlike the greek mythology / history / roman, and Egyptian mythology / history, there has been been a real big "Gladiator" for Norse mythology.

Elves, Dwarfs, Trolls, middle-earth (midgård / midgaard) originate from Norse Mythology, but most people have much stronger connotation with Tolkien. And as for Thor/Odin/Loki, it's Marvel now.
So if they are going to do proper justice to norse mythology, it won't be like most people think it will be.

I was upset about the rumors that they were going with Norse instead of Egyptian, but after seeing the game in action, I think they made the right choice. With the kind of story they're trying to tell, I think the Scandinavian continent will fit the mood better.

It looks like some kind of weird American thinking - if you told someone in Europe that Italians/Greeks/Spanish aren't white no one would took you seriously.

As interesting as Egyptian Gods are, I'm much more pleased with the current direction especially after seeing the trailer. The forests and snowy mountains in the distance looked incredible.

Soriku

How many games are we expecting with Norse mythology anyway? 2 games? Another trilogy? Can't see this being a one off.

As interesting as Egyptian Gods are, I'm much more pleased with the current direction especially after seeing the trailer. The forests and snowy mountains in the distance looked incredible.

I liked seeing the drake.

Alo0oy

Banned
I hope they save their Egypt ideas for their Goddess of War new IP after they're done with the Norse mythology.

What does Egypt have going for it besides furries? Seems like Norse mythology has a cooler range of monsters and such to call upon. Dragons, elves, trolls etc

J-Tier

I think Norse mythology was the better choice for now. The setting deviates from the Greek setting more heavily than Egypt would. They're totally different--of course, but I think the coniferous forests and different realms in Norse mythology and Scandinavia in general feel fresh.

Egypt could be left for the next trilogy, once he's done decimating Odin and friends.

4Tran

Both could be fantastic, but it also depends on how they use it.

I feel that besides Jotun and The Banner Saga, there isn't much that really represents Norse Mythology.
That may be true for real Norse Mythology, but Norse stylization is a common part of popular culture and figures like Thor, Loki, and Odin are household names nowadays.

Elves, Dwarfs, Trolls, middle-earth (midgård / midgaard) originate from Norse Mythology, but most people have much stronger connotation with Tolkien. And as for Thor/Odin/Loki, it's Marvel now.
So if they are going to do proper justice to norse mythology, it won't be like most people think it will be.
Norse Mythology used to be very obscure before the Thor comic book came out. And in fact, the comic book is largely responsible for bringing Norse Mythology back into the limelight. That's probably also why the popular view of the original stories is so sanitized. So sure, the public may mostly think about Marvel, but that's one of the main reasons they'd even know of Norse Mythology at all.

Egyptian mythology doesn't get used quite as often, so it certainly would have been amazing and refreshing. We haven't really gotten many games fully embracing Norse mythology, either. The gorgeous Banner Saga kinda does its own version of Norse mythology at least, but interacting with the Norse gods on the scale of the previous GoWs should be pretty incredible.

I'd still love some Egyptian mythology, though, so both! Both are good. Sorry, Cory, you're making GoW games until you're eighty. I have expectations, now.

Wait a minute... we have a game that starts out in Greek mythology, and then moves on to Norse and Egyptian mythology. I feel like I'm getting flashbacks to something here...

Age_of_Mythology_Liner.jpg

In all seriousness, seeing God of War go explore (and by explore I mean destroy the pantheon of) Norse and Egyptian mythologies. Since I'm a big AoM fan, I think they should have done Egypt first. It just feels right. Then you do vikings.

Walpurgis

Banned
Makes sense. Scandinavia was a quieter and moral rural place than Egypt. It's the perfect place for Kratos to do some thinking. I look forward to seeing Egypt next gen.

Gono

Banned
Egyptian would have been way cooler and hardcore IMHO.

Think about it. Mix it up with ancient aliens (which many claim they are the true Egyptian gods) and you have some wicked ancient-futuristic setting never seen before.

ALIEN-BUILDERS-SUPERVISING-EGYPTIAN-GIZA-PYRAMID-CONSTRUCTION.jpg

Just the thought of breaking into the pyramids and discovering some intricate labyrinth that leads to wicked alien Egyptian secrets, alien tech, time travel, flying chariots, animal-alien-human hybrids.

Heck a final battle could actually take place on another planet. Imagine being on a flying piramid hovering over a distant solar system, while you fight dozens of eagle-feline-headed guardians and then an ultimate Egyptian alien god comes and... you get the picture.

Anyways Norse is amazing too, but the potential of the ancient alien aspect of Egyptian mythology feels incredibly intriguing to me.

MaxHouse

Banned
Egypt mythology would of been cool as well

but I think Kratos is a better fit in Norse Mythology and I'm excited to see the prospects

I don't really understand this idea that Norse Mythology is "overused". I mean unless you consider every sort of Tolkien "Anglo Saxon" fantasy game that generally has alot of elements from Germanic myth..then I could see why it seems that way

but a game actually centered on Norse Mythology, which is quite different, hasn't really been done before

Dinjooh

How many games are we expecting with Norse mythology anyway? 2 games? Another trilogy? Can't see this being a one off.

I liked seeing the drake.

I'm expecting at least two games, with us living in the whole generation of reusing assets or our budget is completely screwed.

Honestly this is for the best, I fear another Classical/"Ancient" setting like Egypt might seem too familiar after so much Greece, even with all the obvious differences. Norse is a much bigger departure, both visually and thematically, and has a nice focus on fatalism and cynicism that fits God of War to a tee.

Qwark

Kratos going to actual hell and fighting Levitation etc. is really appealing.

Lol.

Kratos: I refuse to float, PUT ME DOWN.

*Kills levitation and all mythical levitating creatures on earth fall to the ground forever*

For real though, the bible has a ton of badass things to draw from, particularly the old testament. Will never happen though.

Top Bottom