• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY Picks Blog declares Uncharted 4 "The Big Winner of 2016" (reader + press votes)

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't hate U4, but seeing all the praise it gets confuses the hell out of.

I mean if 2016 was a slow year, I'd get it. But we had Doom, Dishonored, Titanfall, The Last Guardian, Dark Souls 3, Inside and freaking Overwatch in contention.

I mean, I look at that list and with most of them, I immediately react with, "Uncharted 4 is better than that game."

Jigorath

Banned
Uncharted 4 felt like a big step back from the highs Naughty Dog reached in the PS3 era. Still a good game but there were other titles last year I enjoyed a lot more.

_Clash_

It's crazy that W3 was up against Fallout, BB and MGS5 in it's year.

Zelda has Read Dead and Re7 so far IMO Nioh/Horizon both to score aswell.

Will be another interesting year for sure.

FTF

Still skeptical that's coming out this year. Zelda will also have Mario to go against. But Zelda is the clear favorite.

I don't hate U4, but seeing all the praise it gets confuses the hell out of.

I mean if 2016 was a slow year, I'd get it. But we had Doom, Dishonored, Titanfall, The Last Guardian, Dark Souls 3, Inside and freaking Overwatch in contention.

U4 is like a prettier but worse version of U2 with a grappling hook. OK, I'm exaggerating a bit. Whatever. I just don't get it.

I got a simple answers
-Dishonored 2 and Titanfall 2 both of which came out barely weeks of each other and alongside juggernaut fall games, which means people barely got time to play them or even buy them.
-Doom felt a flat at the beginning thanks to the lack of reviews and disappointing MP.
-Overwatch it's an MP Only, not really a problem as you can see by the GOTY count, but its still a problem to many.
-Inside its an Indie Game, if you need any more reasons check out the monthly PS+ threads.
-Dark Souls 3 while a great game it released early in the year, meaning people will easily forget about it. Plus it's cousin Bloodborne had just come out last year.

Uncharted 4, released in May, had a great single player, great story, finished off the franchised, has a good MP with continued support and free DLC, the prettiest graphics of the bunch AND most importantly its the easiest game to play. You also have to account that its developed by ND, who has 2(now 3) GOTY games under their belt.

FTF

I got a simple answers
-Dishonored 2 and Titanfall 2 both of which came out barely weeks of each and alongside juggernaut fall games, which means people barely got time to play them or even buy them.
-Doom felt a flat at the beginning thanks to the lack of reviews and disappointing MP.
-Overwatch it's an MP Only, not really a problem as you can see by the GOTY count, but it still a problem many.
-Inside its an Indie Game, if you need any more reasons check out the monthly PS+ threads.
-Dark Souls 3 while a great game released early in the year, meaning people will easily forget about it. Plus it's cousin Bloodborne had just come out last year.

-And UC4 is a damn great game.

bKViYOO.jpg

Congrats Naughty Dog!

Tight race for critics choice. Well ahead in the readers choice tho. Nice to see The Last Guardian win some awards as well.

My guess is Zelda runs away with it this year.

border

It's kind of a bummer to see the third sequel in a series somehow get heaped with such ridiculous accolades.

It's not like this is the case of a franchise reinventing itself (Resident Evil 4 & 7) or vastly broadening its horizons (Witcher 3, Zelda OOT and BotW). Uncharted 4 is pretty much just, "Here's 4th version of a game we've been making for a decade, now with better graphics."

It feels like UC4 got picked just for being the kind of innocuous consensus-choice that won't alienate anyone, but really isn't anybody's favorite.

It's kind of a bummer to see the third sequel in a series somehow get heaped with such ridiculous accolades.

It's not like this is the case of a franchise reinventing itself (Resident Evil 4 & 7) or vastly broadening its horizons (Witcher 3, Zelda OOT and BotW). Uncharted 4 is pretty much just, "Here's 4th version of a game we've been making for a decade, now with better graphics."

It feels like UC4 got picked just for being the kind of innocuous consensus-choice that won't alienate anyone, but really isn't anybody's favorite.
Dear lord...
Did I walk into a pretzel factory

ZeoVGM

Banned

There's no chance Red Dead comes out this year. Announcing it for fall 2017 basically means it's coming out in summer 2018.

Was disappointed in Uncharted 4, it's not a game I would go out of my way to replay compared to the original PS3 trilogy. But overall I did still like it and I can see why it would resonate so much with people given all of the improvements to the gunplay and mobility, along with the story being mostly well told and different, tackling subject matter you don't normally see in video games.

_Clash_

lol, oh no you didn't

Elandyll

Banned

e26.jpg

UC4 is a great game (imo just second to UC2 in the franchise), with both critical and commercial success, and it might not reinvent itself, but it is refined, both for gameplay and storytelling (to say nothing of the production values), to an almost absurd point.

Tons loved the game, in spite of what -I- feel is just a very vocal minority. Like you.

Raziel

GAF STEAM thread would be proud of this post.

DR2K

Banned
2014 was such a bitter year. Bayonetta 2 losing to some B rated action game just because it was on the Wii U.

Hes right, anyone who really enjoyed Uncharted 4 is part of the naughty dog cult, created to hijack game awards. The Naughty Doggers? Naughty Doggists?

gow3isben

Yeah boii the two greatest games this generation in Uncharted 4 and Witcher 3 taking home the gold. This year looking at you Mass Effect and Horizon.

ckaneo

I feel like the biggest games of the year always win these things and part of it is residual hype. Granted, they deserve the hype.

I think that usually these games have very apparent flaws so it's easy for detractors to dismiss them, but the people arguing against UC4 arent exactly forthcoming in naming alternatives. Overwatch? Is that the choices we got lol?

Not mad at all, but UC4 isnt a perfect game by any means. I would hope Naughty Dog focuses more on improving gameplay in whatever they have next, cause honestly it's a bit stale for me.

Top 10 Most Awarded GOTY Games so far:
  1. Witcher 3 with 257
  2. The Last of Us with 249
  3. Skyrim with 227
  4. GTA V with 160
  5. Uncharted 4 with 159
  6. DA Inquisition with 134
  7. Uncharted 2 with 111
  8. RDR with 111
  9. Mass Effect 2 with 101
  10. Overwatch with 97

It's such a weird feeling for me to love video games so much, play them all the time and yet feel so out of touch with what most people think are the best games. On that entire list, only Red Dead Redemption is interesting to me.
I know it doesn't matter since I play as many games as I ever have. Games I love come out every week and there are too many to find the time to play. It just feels weird like I'm an outsider in this hobby when I didn't feel that way 15 years ago lol

Uncharted 4 really was an amazing game. Definitely not perfect, but one of the best games of this generation.

I still play it all the time (multiplayer)

Davide

Top 10 Most Awarded GOTY Games so far:
  1. Witcher 3 with 257
  2. The Last of Us with 249
  3. Skyrim with 227
  4. GTA V with 160
  5. Uncharted 4 with 159
  6. DA Inquisition with 134
  7. Uncharted 2 with 111
  8. RDR with 111
  9. Mass Effect 2 with 101
  10. Overwatch with 97

Sad that Dragon Age Inquisition is there.

2014 was the one year when really nothing deserved GOTY.

Oddish1

You mean to tell me that a Western, high budget, single player, story-focused, console game won the most game of the years? That never happens except for the last twelve years.

Rozart

Oh? But I was told that UC4 only won Gaf's GOTY because of the overwhelming SonyGaf bias. Now, you're telling me that other media outlets and non-gaffers chose UC4 as their pick for last year's GOTY too?

This SonyGaf bias has truly gotten out of hand.

Joking aside though, congrats ND!

Top Bottom