• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY Picks Blog declares Uncharted 4 "The Big Winner of 2016" (reader + press votes)

MCD250

Shame Ratchet and Clank didn't get any awards. I thought it was lovely tbh.

Nice to see Doom, Uncharted and The Last Guardian doing so well though. Hitman, too.

jjonez18

Seems everyone overlooked the gem that was Ratchet & Clank.

Remake/remaster/movie-tie in aside. It was a great game. Deserves some recognition.

Memento

My GOTY2016 was The Last Guardian. But UC4 was a close second.

Amazing game. This only proves that the vocal minority that absolutely hates it are just that... a vocal minority.

ckaneo

Oh? But I was told that UC4 only won Gaf's GOTY because of the overwhelming SonyGaf bias. Now, you're telling me that other media outlets and non-gaffers chose UC4 as their pick for last year's GOTY too?

This SonyGaf bias has truly gotten out of hand.

Joking aside though, congrats ND!

To be fair though. People love to hype up console exclusives when it comes to these things.

That said, UC4 is kinda a predictable win. I mean second place is overwatch....

That would be my choice.

uPPLaix.gif

Haha this is brilliant!

Ascenion

Gotta say I'm surprised given just how popular Overwatch is and honestly will continue to be. Uncharted 4 deserves it but if I had to pick one it'd be Overwatch. Blizzard made a game we'll talk about years from now, Uncharted not so much.

Gurish

It's crazy that W3 was up against Fallout, BB and MGS5 in it's year.

Zelda has Read Dead and Re7 so far IMO Nioh/Horizon both to score aswell.

Will be another interesting year for sure.

Out of those games most don't come close in beating Zelda this year, RE7 is hardcore horror, those never win, Ni-Oh is very niche, Horizon is great and mainstream enough but we all know it can't really threat Zelda (88 MC against most likely highest rated game this gen or 90+ at worst), only RDR2 can potentially threat Zelda but it ain't coming out this year.

GODDAMN IT You beat me, and I even had it all set up nicely T_T

Anyways here's a reminder of the previous Overall Game of the Year according to GOTYBLOG, included the 2nd and 3rd most awarded games because I know some people will want to know who got robbed from GOTY ;)

GAF GOTY Bolded

Top 10 Most Awarded GOTY Games so far:
  1. Witcher 3 with 257
  2. The Last of Us with 249
  3. Skyrim with 227
  4. GTA V with 160
  5. Uncharted 4 with 159
  6. DA Inquisition with 134
  7. Uncharted 2 with 111
  8. RDR with 111
  9. Mass Effect 2 with 101
  10. Overwatch with 97

Gaf generally has such great taste. Except Journey, wtf was that?!

Gurish

e26.jpg

UC4 is a great game (imo just second to UC2 in the franchise), with both critical and commercial success, and it might not reinvent itself, but it is refined, both for gameplay and storytelling (to say nothing of the production values), to an almost absurd point.

Tons loved the game, in spite of what -I- feel is just a very vocal minority. Like you.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't hate U4, but seeing all the praise it gets confuses the hell out of.

I mean if 2016 was a slow year, I'd get it. But we had Doom, Dishonored, Titanfall, The Last Guardian, Dark Souls 3, Inside and freaking Overwatch in contention.

U4 is like a prettier but worse version of U2 with a grappling hook. OK, I'm exaggerating a bit. Whatever. I just don't get it.
It's a consensus vote. Mainstream outlets love it, because it's digestible and visually stunning. Core gaming outlets love it, because it's a beloved franchise and a technical achievement. Fans love it, because it's an exclusive and on the more popular platform.

The fact the game itself is only 'okay' doesn't stop it from gathering the love. Everyone can feel pretty good about giving Uncharted the trophy, unless you're the sort of person counting the trophies.

gfxtwin

Overwatch shouldve won this. Uncharted 4 is good, but overrated.

Weirdly, I feel that way about Overwatch. I love it, fantastic game, with some of the best character design I've seen, but it isn't really much of a leap forward from what Team Fortress 2 did several years ago and here it is winning like every GOTY award from most major game review sites.

EGOMON

UC4 threads are my favorite its like playing against a weak team you know you gonna win no matter what, just relax and enjoy the oppositions failed attempts :D

AudioEppa

As if my game of the generation wasn't going to win.

I fucking love Uncharted 4. Naughty Dog, I cannot wait for your next cinematic gaming masterpiece.

Memento

It is also the highest rated original game of the generation. Lets see if Breath of the Wild can surpass it on MC.

Archtreyz

I'd say Uncharted 4 was my favorite game last year. Pokemon Sun. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, and Overwatch were also great, but they didn't stay on my mind like Uncharted 4 did. Amazing game.

Ascenion

It is also the highest rated original game of the generation. Lets see if Breath of the Wild can surpass it on MC.

What's the score to beat 93? 3 years ago I would've given it to Zelda easily, but then 3 years ago Uncharted 4 probably would've been a 96. Still giving it to Zelda.

If the game ended with a setup for Uncharted 5/new trilogy, or whatever, I do think UC4 would be less beloved than it is. Part of the game's overall appeal and how it stuck with critics/fans was how it tied a bow on Nathan Drake as his final game.

This is interesting,

These are the developers with the most overall GOTY awards

3 = Naughty Dog (Uncharted 4, The Last of Us, Uncharted 2)
3= Bethesda Game Studios (Skyrim, Fallout 3, Oblivion)
2 = Bioware (DA Inquisition, Knights of the Old Republic)
1 = Valve (Half-Life 2)
1 = Capcom (Resident Evil 4)
1 = Irrational Games [R.I.P.] (Bioshock)
1 = Rockstar San Diego (Red Dead Redemption)
1 = CD Projekt RED (Witcher 3)
1 = Telltale Games (Walking Dead S1)

Now these are the one's based on NeoGaf's GOTY

2 = Nintendo EAD (Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess)
2 = Kojima Productions (MGS 3, MGS4)
1 = Bioware (Mass Effect 2)
1 = Valve (Portal 2)
1 = thatonegamecompany (Journey)
1 = Platinum Games (Bayonetta 2)
1 = FromSoftware (Bloodborne)

and these are publisher based on the overall GOTY

3 = Sony
3 = Bethesda
1 = Capcom
1 = Valve
1 = Lucasarts
1 = 2K
1 = Rockstar Games
1 = CD Projekt RED
1 = EA
1 = Telltale Games

and NeoGaf...

5 = Sony
3 = Nintendo
2 = Konami
1 = Capcom
1 = Bioware
1 = Valve

It's official, NeoGaf are Sony, Nintendo, Kojima fanboys XD

Very well deserved. Personally consider the game a masterpiece.
It's also great to see TLG in and around the top five for 2016, as time goes on I think it'll be a game that is appreciated more.

I don't understand the love Uncharted gets at all.

I don't like Bioshock at all, but I understand we are all different and certain things connect with us more than others.
Is that hard to get?

UC4 also get 2 or 3 DICE awards last week, voted to win by fellow developers, so clearly the game is resonating well with not only consumers.

Tecnniqe

Banned
This is interesting,

These are the developers with the most overall GOTY awards

3= Bethesda Game Studios (Skyrim, Fallout 3, Oblivion)
2 = Bioware (DA Inquisition, Knights of the Old Republic)
1 = Valve (Half-Life 2)
1 = Irrational Games [R.I.P.] (Bioshock)
1 = Rockstar San Diego (Red Dead Redemption)
1 = Telltale Games (Walking Dead S1)

Now these are the one's based on NeoGaf's GOTY

2 = Nintendo EAD (Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess)
2 = Kojima Productions (MGS 3, MGS4)
1 = Bioware (Mass Effect 2)
1 = Valve (Portal 2)
1 = thatonegamecompany (Journey)
1 = Platinum Games (Bayonetta 2)
1 = FromSoftware (Bloodborne)

and these are publisher based on the overall GOTY

3 = Sony
3 = Bethesda
1 = Capcom
1 = Valve
1 = Lucasarts
1 = 2K
1 = Rockstar Games
1 = CD Projekt RED
1 = EA
1 = Telltale Games

and NeoGaf...

5 = Sony
3 = Nintendo
2 = Konami
1 = Capcom
1 = Bioware
1 = Valve

It's official, NeoGaf are Sony, Nintendo, Kojima fanboys XD
Damn Sonypony's *shakes fist in air*

😉

wig

I don't think any game released this year will break Witcher 3's record. There's too many games coming out this year that will break up the votes: Zelda, Horizon, Mass Effect, Persona 5, RDR, Resident Evil, Nioh, Nier, etc. This is a crazy good year for gamers!

Davide

I still think 2011 had the most GOTY contenders.

Skyrim, Arkham City, Portal 2, Uncharted 3, Dark Souls. Any one of those games I could understand as GOTY. UC4 is the only game I'd call GOTY of 2016.

Melchiah

Anyways here's a reminder of the previous Overall Game of the Year according to GOTYBLOG, included the 2nd and 3rd most awarded games because I know some people will want to know who got robbed from GOTY ;)

GAF GOTY Bolded

2015 = Witcher 3: 257; Fallout 4: 58; Bloodborne: 31

2014 = DA Inquisition: 134; Shadow of Mordor: 49; Mario Kart 8: 28 (NeoGAF's GOTY: Bayonetta 2 with 22)

2013 = TLOU: 249; GTA V: 160; Bioshock Infinite: 43

2012 = Walking Dead S1: 75; Journey: 57; Far Cry 3: 51

Robbed
Deserved
Deserved
Robbed

Don't agree with the pick but at the same time, I would have chosen last guardian and that game clearly wouldn't appeal to most. 2016!was a bit lacklustre for 10/10 games whereas this year is off to a great start and is almost certain to be far more competitive then 2016 was.

Top Bottom