• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY Picks Blog declares Uncharted 4 "The Big Winner of 2016" (reader + press votes)

I don't think any game released this year will break Witcher 3's record. There's too many games coming out this year that will break up the votes: Zelda, Horizon, Mass Effect, Persona 5, RDR, Resident Evil, Nioh, Nier, etc. This is a crazy good year for gamers!

Why are we just assuming games like Mass Effect are going to be GOTY contenders?

wig

Why are we just assuming games like Mass Effect are going to be GOTY contenders?
Why not? Bioware games usually do well amongst the critics. The last Bioware game was the overall GOTY in 2014 so it's not an outlandish assumption...

I don't think any game released this year will break Witcher 3's record. There's too many games coming out this year that will break up the votes: Zelda, Horizon, Mass Effect, Persona 5, RDR, Resident Evil, Nioh, Nier, etc. This is a crazy good year for gamers!

This year feels like a shoo-in for Zelda unless RDR2 actually releases this year. Persona 5 is too niche(might win on GAF though) and everything else has no chance imo.

Sotha_Sil

Doom- 29
Inside- 12
Dishonored 2- 8
The Witness- 7
Hitman- 3
XCOM 2- 3
Civilization VI- 1

These low numbers sadden me considering how many UC4 and Overwatch received, but at least they were recognized somewhere. This is especially true for Hitman, which was my personal GOTY for the year. I never would have guessed I'd be saying that before the first episode was released.

Dude just look at people's reactions at the fact that Inquisition was an Overall GOTY. If Mass Effect ends up as good or even slightly better than DAI, it will definitely be GOTY contender at least for the media XD

I don't hate U4, but seeing all the praise it gets confuses the hell out of.

I mean if 2016 was a slow year, I'd get it. But we had Doom, Dishonored, Titanfall, The Last Guardian, Dark Souls 3, Inside and freaking Overwatch in contention.

U4 is like a prettier but worse version of U2 with a grappling hook. OK, I'm exaggerating a bit. Whatever. I just don't get it.

i don't understand people's love for Witcher 3 and GTA5 too....believe me, i tried to play those games and cannot pass the 1st hour due to lack of cohesion and focus...

i.e. I don't like games with no focus.

So differing opinions....yup.

Davide

i don't understand people's love for Witcher 3 and GTA5 too....believe me, i tried to play those games and cannot pass the 1st hour due to lack of cohesion and focus...

i.e. I don't like games with no focus.

So differing opinions....yup.

I have never played an open world game as focused as The Witcher 3 is.

Hero

Overwatch is going to be a game that keeps on evolving over the years and will be something that will continue to get talked about and be culturally relevant in the real world. I just don't see how Uncharted 4 can compare unless the sole metric is having a single player experience that will most likely just be topped by the next third person action shooter with good graphics anyway.

silva1991

Don't underestimate Mario.

2013 GOTY picks

The Last of Us - 249

Grand Theft Auto V - 160

Bioshock Infinite - 43

Super Mario 3D World - 12

Gone Home - 10

Tomb Raider - 7

The next Mario will have to be as good as Galaxy to have a chance.

There were two Mario games with 97 MC scores that didn't win, with the latter game (SMG2) not coming close.

This too. It's not easy for Nintendo games to win those awards. Especially with counting reader votes.

Davide

I just don't see how Uncharted 4 can compare unless the sole metric is having a single player experience that will most likely just be topped by the next third person action shooter with good graphics anyway.

As with The Last Of Us, only Naughty Dog can top UC4 with a game of its type in the next few years.

The shooting is buttery smooth and a joy to play, while the writing, the characters, and the clear focus of the game are what make it really special. Games like Rise of the Tomb Raider still can't compare to it.

rROL2fn.gif
T5MkQpi.gif

Maxrunner

Yikes. Just proves that graphics is what sells in this industry first. Even the last guardian should probably have it more deserved.

2016 wasn't that interesting of a year for games looking back on it.

So for 2017 already has way more stuff I'm interested in.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Dishonored 2 and Last Guardian deserve to be way up there.

2016 wasn't that interesting of a year for games looking back on it.

So for 2017 already has way more stuff I'm interested in.

This says more about you than the games released last year.

AudioEppa

Says what about me exactly?

I believe it's because you said 2016 wasn't interesting for games. Then you say this year is different with games you're interested in. So technically there's nothing wrong with last year. A lot of people thought last year's games were great.

Like for instance. I believe the beginning of this year is pretty boring for new games, outside of horizon. And with that says that I'm just not into those games. But I won't call it uninteresting.

Reset

Hmm it was the worst Uncharted game that I played, it wasn't even the best exclusive released for the PS4 that year.

Top Bottom