• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 sold 5 million copies

Sony's thinking in letting Kaz make GT6 a PS3 game makes sense if you remember the circumstances around it.

For as much as people like to ignore it for any number of reasons, Driveclub was supposed to be a launch game. You don't launch that and then launch GT6 two months later for the same platform. Also, I imagine they didn't expect PS3 sales to drop off a cliff like they did either, especially since the last generational transition had them selling about 40-50 million more PS2s after the PS3 released. And once you get to the point where it would have made sense to do a GT6 remastered (arguably at least 6 months after Driveclub actually launched, so at least a year and a half later), you're better off at that point just making a new GT anyway (i.e. if they'd done that, we probably wouldn't be getting a new GT until 2018 or so).

I'm not saying it worked out well for them, because it didn't, but it was a completely logical decision at the time.

solarus

Its depressing how the gt series turned out, long dev times with product that never matched and lapped by the forza series. Its a shame.

Audioboxer

As much as it is good sales for a racing game and will have made good money for Sony if you ask me its just indicative of Kaz/PD.

Sales will keep going down for each mainline title the more development time scales get ridiculous and Kaz ever obsesses with making a virtual museum and photography simulator than a game.

Salty GT fan who is salty about the direction of Sport and cannot understand PD not adapting better to modern development times.

I fear their legacy will be looking back at a slow decline and ultimate fizzing out.

Falchion

I was one of the people who skipped it because it wasn't on the next gen platforms, on the fence about GT Sport.

GT6 was such an odd choice for PD/Sony. Releasing after the PS4 came out and not making it cross gen or at least releasing a PS4 version was such a missed opportunity.

I suppose they may have decided against it since Driveclub was supposed to be a launch game and they didn't wanna cannibalize that game, but it was such a bad idea in hindsight.

As much as it is good sales for a racing game and will have made good money for Sony if you ask me its just indicative of Kaz/PD.

Sales will keep going down for each mainline title the more development time scales get ridiculous and Kaz ever obsesses with making a virtual museum and photography simulator than a game.

Salty GT fan who is salty about the direction of Sport and cannot understand PD not adapting better to modern development times.

I fear their legacy will be looking back at a slow decline and ultimate fizzing out.

Gran Turismo still has infinitely better driving than any other console/simcade racer, though, so I don't think that's entirely the case. The main reason Forza is so much more respected by critics is because it's willing to make concessions for people who don't want to learn the driving mechanics.

KageMaru

Those sales numbers are pretty good considering it launched on the PS3 when so much attention was on the PS4 at the time.

As a long time fan (bought the first game on day one) GT6 was the only one i skipped because it didn't felt like a true succesor to GT5 (which i enjoyed regardless of its problems).I'm also very skeptical about GT Sport...what i've seen so far doesn't look very impressive IMO.To me it feels as if PD have almost lost their ambition lately.Saleswise i expect it to sell around 2 million so they will probably hit the 80 million mark with GT7.

I still love the series though and i will definitely buy GT7 whenever it comes out but i think it's time for PD to step up their game and make GT the technical showcase for Sony's consoles.

GTS will blow past 2 million easy .
It already look great add in Neo and PSVR and that is even more sales.
Plus it's the first GT on PS4 .

Likewise. If GT6 was announced as cross-gen (with the PS4 version as the focus of the marketing) then I think it would add to the stronger launch of the PS4. GT6 launching a week after the PS4 launch in Europe would have been huge.

Yeah. They had already moved on to full time advertising of the PS4 by the time GT6 came out on PS3. Not to mention how quickly people transitioned to PS4 and left "last gen" behind this time (outside of Japan).

Seeing GT5 got all the back to almost 12 million in that chart shows it's still massive. GT7 would probably do great if it comes out a decent time before PS5 starts getting teased (to avoid getting overshadowed by new system hype again) or saved for a full PS5 game.

When you consider how soon after GT5 it released, not to mention launching on PS3 instead of PS4, it's not bad. Certainly shows there's plenty of interest in the franchise.

Yeah.

Audioboxer

Gran Turismo still has infinitely better driving than any other console/simcade racer, though, so I don't think that's entirely the case. The main reason Forza is so much more respected by critics is because it's willing to make concessions for people who don't want to learn the driving mechanics.

It's a game at the end of the day. It's kind of like Sony's obsession to refer to the PS3/PS as a computer when they were all up in that PR line. The PS is a games console and this is a game. Whatever Kaz can get it used for on the side, fine, but 95% gamers buy GT not racing drivers.

Sometimes the market evolves and sure you can keep your real life driving physics, but not everyone plays racing games for the same reasons.

And fuck no am I talking about rewind, but something that was ironically more fleshed out in OLDER GTs. Buying 2nd hand cars on a small budget and grinding out races to get better cars and so forth. When GT removed garages it removed a bit of its charm.

That is what it lacks for me now. Kaz has gotta come back from the moon and add some of those charming game elements/RPGness back to GT. Not everything has to be professional, sterile and like managing and excel spreadsheet.

Impressive numbers considering the circumstances, (PS4 launch, GT5 not delivering, Driveclub and Forza 5 on next-generation consoles, PS3 was on its way out, little to no fanfare before launch among many others).

That being said, 50% drop off from GT5 is pretty staggering. I personally don't see GTS doing anywhere the same numbers as the usual GT games. Maybe around 5-7 million would be a success for Sony and Kaz, especially given the current climate for racing games in the industry.

Best wishes.

How is GTS not adapting to modern development times ?
3 years is normal for games plus the had to start back from zero .
Also this GT will last the whole gen and become like a service and there push into Esports .

Stillmatic

Like many, It's the only GT I never bought. The only reason was because I moved on to PS4, GT Sport can't come soon enough.

I neeeeeeed old Logitech wheel support though! Fucking shit damn it, shit!

Audioboxer

How is GTS not adapting to modern development times ?
3 years is normal for games plus the had to start back from zero .
Also this GT will last the whole gen and become like a service and there push into Esports .

Because its clearly coming out as a cut down experience and IMO is wrongly leaving many people out in the cold with the esports/multiplayer obsession.

Other driving games manage far more content in their games with 3 years or even less of a cycle. PD might make the prettiest engine lighting systems and insane modelling details, but you know what, content is king. As is gameplay. Both more important than graphics. GT might have gameplay nailed down but GTS is the worst yet in terms of content.

It's a game at the end of the day. It's kind of like Sonys obsession to refer to the PS3/PS as a computer when they were all up in that PR line.

Sometimes the market evovles and sure you can keep your real life driving physics, but not everyone plays racing games for the same reasons.

And fuck no am I talking about rewind, but something that was ironically more fleshed out in OLDER GTs. Buying 2nd hand cars on a small budget and grinding out races to get better cars and so forth. When GT removed garages it removed a bit of its charm.

That is what it lacks for me now. Kaz has gotta come back from the moon and add some of those charming game elements/RPGness back to GT. Not everything has to be professional.

This I do agree on. Hopefully GT7 brings back some of the grassroots charm of the first two games with used lots and such. Those games didn't make any effort to hold your hand and dropped you in an open sandbox career, which I think is awesome but critics would likely bitch about that and call it dated.

Memento

That is actually really good. The game was sent to die being released alongside PS4 launch, so I feel that more than anything this proves the strenght of the IP.

Because its clearly coming out as a cut down experience and IMO is wrongly leaving many people out in the cold with the esports/multiplayer obsession.

Other driving games manage far more content in their games with 3 years or even less of a cycle.

GT7 will come later on so just think of this like a prologue that will grow .
Still if GTS does really good i think it will just end up being GT7.

Boke1879

I know it's much less than the series is known for selling. But if you put it into context. It's sold pretty good. Any franchise would be lucky to have that.

Releasing just after the PS4 launch, No hype and still managed to pull off 5 million. If GT Sport can do the same I'll consider that a success. Especially since they are moving more towards a service model.

Audioboxer

This I do agree on. Hopefully GT7 brings back some of the grassroots charm of the first two games with used lots and such. Those games didn't make any effort to hold your hand and dropped you in an open sandbox career, which I think is awesome but critics would likely bitch about that and call it dated.

Its the fans the games are hemorrhaging though not the reviewers. GT numbers are still good but as I said it continues to look like its going to be a career of looking back at declines each iteration. I fear GTS is going to be even less than GT6.

GT7 will come later on so just think of this like a prologue that will grow .
Still if GTS does really good i think it will just end up being GT7.

All that does is strengthen my argument and make PD look even more ridiculous at handling development timescales.

OldMan

Banned
Its depressing how the gt series turned out, long dev times with product that never matched and lapped by the forza series. Its a shame.

how does one series having success make another one a shame?

Loved 5, and at the end of the day we can say the PS3 at least had two solid Gran Turismo games.

edit: and the #'s speak for themselves...

RedSwirl

5+ million for a game that was "sent out to die" means the franchise is probably still really strong. I still don't have a good idea of what GT Sport actually is but I imagine it could do very well.

It's a game at the end of the day. It's kind of like Sony's obsession to refer to the PS3/PS as a computer when they were all up in that PR line. The PS is a games console and this is a game. Whatever Kaz can get it used for on the side, fine, but 95% gamers buy GT not racing drivers.

Sometimes the market evolves and sure you can keep your real life driving physics, but not everyone plays racing games for the same reasons.

That is what it lacks for me now. Kaz has gotta come back from the moon and add some of those charming game elements/RPGness back to GT. Not everything has to be professional, sterile and like managing and excel spreadsheet.

I still haven't been able to try Forza but from what I see and hear I get the same sense that Turn 10 has been making something more friendly to gamers (particularly console gamers) while Polyphony still makes better driving simulation. I think IGN called GT5 "a 10/10 driving simulator stuck in a 5/10 game."

I have this weird conundrum though: even though I'm not into this stuff hardcore, I still like a lot of sterile simulation games precisely because they don't follow the same structure as conventional games. Instead of making you go through a ton of linear progression a lot of them act like toy chests for you to just mess around with the simulated systems. That's why I dabble in GT every now and again even though I'm not even slightly into cars.

5+ million for a game that was "sent out to die" means the franchise is probably still really strong. I still don't have a good idea of what GT Sport actually is but I imagine it could do very well.

I still haven't been able to try Forza but from what I see and hear I get the same sense that Turn 10 has been making something more friendly to gamers (particularly console gamers) while Polyphony still makes better driving simulation. I think IGN called GT5 "a 10/10 driving simulator stuck in a 5/10 game."

I have this weird conundrum though: even though I'm not into this stuff hardcore, I still like a lot of sterile simulation games precisely because they don't follow the same structure as conventional games. Instead of making you go through a ton of linear progression a lot of them act like toy chests for you to just mess around with the simulated systems. That's why I dabble in GT every now and again even though I'm not even slightly into cars.

Oddly enough, with every Motorsport release, Forza seems to sterilize its presentation even more. And the perk system in FM6 is completely indefensible.

Audioboxer

PD have cut content from their previous games and left out content you'd expect IN a robust simulator (better tweaking and parts replacement). Its not all been about them sticking to their guns, but about what they prioritise and their seeming lack of will to expand as a studio or outsource any of their work if the vision Kaz has is just that development intensive.

I guess what annoys Sony fans more is if PD are going to be the sterile simulator folks and eradicate all their previous charm Sony shouldn't have been shutting down every fucking other studio they have doing racing games. Wipeout, Motorstorm and DC all made the GT waiting pains and/or disappointments easier.

Not sure how much longer Kaz gets a free pass before one day being shuttled off like crazy Ken for an insane GT development budget/timeframe which only manages to sell a few million.

oSoLucky

They felt they didn't max out the PS3 with GT5 and wanted to give another go. Gotta respect that choice.

I agree there. I just think that they should have given it the same treatment as TLOU and Beyond and ported to PS4(along with Puppeteer, etc.) ASAP. Maybe they didn't want to cause competition with all the hype Driveclub was getting. I'm not sure of the sales figures for all, but at the end of the day you can be damn sure that PlayStation machines will get some classic games with the next system on the horizon or out(TLOU, FF9, FF12, Persona 4 etc.), and that has to be good for getting people to want to buy into your ecosystem.

IISANDERII

The microtransactions and grindathon resolved me to not buy GT6. But then the money glitch was discovered and I bought it immediately.

Metfanant

It's amazing to me how botched this game's launch was...considering how slowly Polyphony works, and how long it took them to get GT5 out, they should have immediately shifted GT6 to a PS4 launch title...

This game was sent to die, and yet it still has sold 6 mil+ copies...crazy...

All that does is strengthen my argument and make PD look even more ridiculous at handling development timescales.

PD is not that big ( they don't outsource last time i check ) and starting back over is something they had to do .
Maybe PD should be bigger but that is also a easy way for budgets to get out of control .
To me GTS is like GT3 not much content and also focus on online.

hamchan

It can only be considered "not bad, "good" or "impressive" level of sales if you start from the context of how it launched near the PS4 and the lowered expectations that stems from that.

This series never should have been put in that position though. This is Sony's top series that they should always have high expectations for and that they should always treat as a big deal. So it's pretty bad sales in the context of the series.

Unknown?

Other driving games manage far more content in their games with 3 years or even less of a cycle. PD might make the prettiest engine lighting systems and insane modelling details, but you know what, content is king. As is gameplay. Both more important than graphics. GT might have gameplay nailed down but GTS is the worst yet in terms of content.

It isn't the worst in terms of content. GT3 is widely regarded as the best GT yet it has the least content. GT Sport is catering to everyone who said quality over quantity and wanted it to be built from the ground up. They could have used GT6 models that have double the polygons of Driveclub but they built all new models and it still has just as much content as the sims that are out there.

I'm not talking about graphics only...

Then physics? Because Polyphony invited one of the people form Inside Sim Racing back to their studio at E3 and he said the version they had setup there had physics comparable to Assetto Corso.

Anyway, GTS is looking great

kdddxxv31jtr.gif

l46cuaxoafc7wauv2udk89.gif

2pmO2hS.gif

rZq1jj0.gif

Audioboxer

It isn't the worst in terms of content. GT3 is widely regarded as the best GT yet it has the least content. GT Sport is catering to everyone who said quality over quantity and wanted it to be built from the ground up. They could have used GT6 models that have double the polygons of Driveclub but they built all new models and it still has just as much content as the sims that are out there.

But why the need to seemingly completely nuke any sort of SP campaign or focus? I'm sorry but even in these modern times SP still falls under the "quality" category for me, not "quantity".

Kaz obviously wants to push esports, fine, but considering he's proposing that at the loss of content for many legacy GT fans he is taking one heck of a risk. " Wait for GT7" doesn't cut it when in many of our eyes this should be GT7, with esports added on if that is Kaz's new vision hard on. Would be good if he finished his old visions fully before embarking on new ones.

Not expecting GTS to come anywhere near this to be honest, 5 million is surprisingly high for how much of a disaster GT6 was and GTS looks even worse. They've made no effort on the physics and sound departments in the newest titles because apparently all that matters is eye candy.

I still can't get over the fact that one of the biggest things that made GT so good, the long career with buying cheap cars and getting attached to them and tuning them, is just gone.

That's a significant drop off from GT5.

I never really got into these racing sims, so I am personally not that excited for GT Sport. It's still a big exclusive, though, and it has a chance to actually do well relative to the other entries in the series.

Is Forza really better?

Always has been to be honest. GT4 was the pinnacle of the series and I'd say it was probably on par with Forza 1 maybe. Since then GT has plundered along and probably even gotten worse with its weird physics, awful sounds, and completely null sense of speed while other games have well overtaken it. It's fine enough if you're not a huge fan of racing games (or alternatively stick to the older games) but it's just so misdirected these days.

But yes, it really is much better than GT, especially now.

Kolx

GT6 moved another 300k copies,so you think GTS wont surpassed that especially the first GT title on the PS4?

GT6 is a main entry in the series while GT Sport is not when you look at the content offered. Also, usually when the series keep disappointing many people they tend to not buy the next game. I mean just look at the hype for the game do you see any?

GT6 is a main entry in the series while GT Sport is not when you look at the content offered. Also, usually when the series keep disappointing many people they tend to not buy the next game. I mean just look at the hype for the game do you see any?

GT5P had even less content and sold around the same .
It's the first GT on PS4 and it has VR people will pick it up .
Not that i saying expect huge sales but i don't see it dropping off from GT6.

Top Bottom