• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 sold 5 million copies

janoDX

After GT5 was released, I felt GT6 as a "complete edition" of GT5. Nothing more and nothing less.

But, if it was released as a cross-platform for PS4 it would have sold over 10m, no doubt. The problem was that DriveClub was on the horizon and Sony had to make a choice, kill DriveClub sales on PS4 or do well with GT6 on PS3 only but not selling the 9-10 million copies as always.

If GT Sport is released on Holiday 2017, I would release GT6 Remastered right now on PS4.

yummypixza_

Neo Member
not sure if GTSport is PSVR ready, but the number loses on the hardcore players might be balanced on new incomer for tasting PSVR?

Yes.

There are not enough hardcore GT fans to save Sport from the impending disaster.
I don't see how that is possible. GT6 had everything going against it and still sold 5M units.

I mean, GT Sport could sell half as much as GT6 and still have a ~500K edge over Driveclub. I think you are underestimating the brand power of GT and the growth of other franchises (UC, R&C, etc...) on PS4.

We'll see though.

I don't see how that is possible. GT6 had everything going against it and still sold 5M units.

I mean, GT Sport could sell half as much as GT6 and still have a ~500K edge over Driveclub. I think you are underestimating the brand power of GT and the growth of other franchises (UC, R&C, etc...) on PS4.

We'll see though.
Shhhhh let him think that so he'll take the bet trying to get my sanji army going

I'm not up to date with Sport, but last I heard it was basically a multiplayer-only game, with little more than Licence Tests for singleplayer content. As someone who's bought every main GT since the first, that doesn't interest me at all, and I really don't see it appealing to the entire GT fanbase either. I could deal with the cut down car and track count, but I'm just not a multiplayer guy.

Apologies if I'm totally wrong about the nature of the game; like I said I haven't been keeping up with everything about it.

Unknown?

I'm not up to date with Sport, but last I heard it was basically a multiplayer-only game, with little more than Licence Tests for singleplayer content. As someone who's bought every main GT since the first, that doesn't interest me at all, and I really don't see it appealing to the entire GT fanbase either. I could deal with the cut down car and track count, but I'm just not a multiplayer guy.

Apologies if I'm totally wrong about the nature of the game; like I said I haven't been keeping up with everything about it.
It's a hefty campaign that teaches you to drive, similar to license tests but not really. License tests only had like 10 tests per license and wasn't as in depth as GT Sport but also we have little info to go off of other than the overall nature of each segment, no way to confirm there won't be races in them. It's only been touched on in interviews and not really shown of in full detail.. There is also arcade mode for offline racing and split screen just like every GT before it.

horkrux

After GT5 was released, I felt GT6 as a "complete edition" of GT5. Nothing more and nothing less.

But, if it was released as a cross-platform for PS4 it would have sold over 10m, no doubt. The problem was that DriveClub was on the horizon and Sony had to make a choice, kill DriveClub sales on PS4 or do well with GT6 on PS3 only but not selling the 9-10 million copies as always.

If GT Sport is released on Holiday 2017, I would release GT6 Remastered right now on PS4.

A complete edition with worse AI and questionable technical choices.

Terrible follow-up. It shouldn't have been released imo. All it did was encourage them to kill the servers for GT5 early and therefore rob me of my main source of ingame currency :(

But Knack and Killzone Shadowfall are undisputed masterpieces of modern gaming ? especially Shadowfall man what a stinker, and those two games sold extremely well despite reviewing quite poor, Puppeteer would have performed exceptionally better.

Demon's Souls was purposely sent to die, Sony only green lit the project because they needed a WRPG to rival TES: Oblivion which at the time was a console exclusive on the 360, by the time the project began to take form not only was Sony deeply unimpressed with what they saw but Oblivion was already on the PS3, also western gaming tastes were leaning towards brownish grey yolo swag, oohrah shooters.
Miraculously the game reviewed astoundingly well and sold far beyond their expectations, Sony practically treated the game the same way Nintendo treated Devils Third.
i don't see how any of that disproves what i stated. Great games find a way to get recognized. Puppeteer is ok.

What do Killzone and knack selling well at launch have to do with anything? Puppeteer would have benefited from launch on pS4, no doubt. But sell millions or even do better than Killzone (which is a fps one of the most popular genre in gaming) ? Eh...i think you're reaching

Pejo

Impressive numbers considering the release and lack of marketing (at least in the US, it seems).

It's the first one I haven't picked up, but I'll get the PS4 offering.

Hoje0308

Banned
Yes.

There are not enough hardcore GT fans to save Sport from the impending disaster.

Not sure if joking or divorced from reality. GT is a much bigger brand than Driveclub and the PS4 install base has increased dramatically since DC's release. Also, GT will very likely be fully functional at launch, unlike DC.

Putty

Not sure if joking or divorced from reality. GT is a much bigger brand than Driveclub and the PS4 install base has increased dramatically since DC's release. Also, GT will very likely be fully functional at launch, unlike DC.

It's Wax....anything to downplay GT.

velociraptor

I honestly think given how long PD spend making their games and the fact they've pretty much mostly released the same games over the year, GTS won't sell particularly well.

Everyone and their mothers used to be hyped for the GT games. Even people who didn't like racing games purchased GT. Now, not a single person I know is interested in the new GT Sport.

Polyphony should have given us a proper sequel to GT6 with a revamped career mode but I don't even know what GTS is. It just seems like a game to pander for a small 'GT hardcore' following.

Top Bottom