• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 sold 5 million copies

Blueingreen

I don't know what was worse, Sony releasing GT6 exclusively on PS3 1 week after the PS4, or releasing the Puppeteer in GTA V week, what a shitty way to manage your Ip's. If anything they should have been launch window PS4 games

Memento

I don't know what was worse, Sony releasing GT6 exclusively on PS3 1 week after the PS4, or releasing the Puppeteer in GTA V week, what a shitty way to manage your Ip's. If anything they should have been launch window PS4 games

Oh man... Puppeteer really should have been a PS4 launch title. Such a great game, deserved so much more.

jjonez18

I think 5m is the ceiling for GT Sport. GT6 was basically another spinoff anyway just like GT5 prologue. 80m in the next 2-3 years is a lock.

I think GT Sport will be one of the 10 million sellers in the series. It's the first game on PS4 and also want to say that it's damn impressive for a PS3 game released in Dec. 2013 to sell 5 million copies. Just shows you how popular the GT franchise still is. Only other game I can think of that's done those numbers is GTA V.

Blueingreen

Oh man... Puppeteer really should have been a PS4 launch title. Such a great game, deserved so much more.

It really should have, if memory serves 2014 was a black hole for releases on PS4 for the most part. If Sony had an ounce of common sense Puppeteer would have been a Q1 release followed by GT6 as a Q3 release in 2014, But what does it matter now ? it's just another example of Sony poorly managing their IP's without the Naughty Dog logo on the box.

ddikxela

Wow congrats on the 5 mill.

I didn't think the game would sell that many copies tbh. Coming from someone who bought a PS4 at launch, the timing of GT6 release seemed real off like it wasn't expected to do fairly well so was hidden behind all the PS4 hype. I ended up buying a copy of gt6 for my PS3 since driveclub had the delay... I wonder how many other people bought a copy to play on their old console just to fill the driveclub void rather than being fully invested in it?

EGM1966

Not too bad for GT5.5 on last gen tech. For me with PS4 and XB1 out and evaluating which I might get next to my PC it just didn't exist as a purchase option.

Getting to 5 million seems pretty good considering the context.

Shin-Ra

Not expecting GTS to come anywhere near this to be honest, 5 million is surprisingly high for how much of a disaster GT6 was and GTS looks even worse. They've made no effort on the physics and sound departments in the newest titles because apparently all that matters is eye candy.

I still can't get over the fact that one of the biggest things that made GT so good, the long career with buying cheap cars and getting attached to them and tuning them, is just gone.
Always has been to be honest.
You're honest about your ignorance at the very least.

xrnzaaas

GT Sport is going to sell very well, there's no doubt about that. 5 million is a great result for a game that came out at the very end of a life cycle of a console. Besides PS4 owners are hungry for an exclusive racer and the GT brand still means a lot. The question is how the people will receive it and how that will affect the sales of future GT titles.

casiopao

50% drop is brutal.O_O Sony better makes sure GT7 will is a really good product here or they will face another huge drop again especially when the interest towards racing genre had been dropping hard.

c0de

Bought this for my father in law two weeks ago for 10 Euro in Germany.
And realized that we had to play the game unpatched. It wanted to download 23!! patches. And no, not only downloading them but also installing which took forever.
Then we wanted to launch the game and it wanted to install all this shit *again* and eventually failed with an error. According to the internet, you have to apply the patches one after the other but we already had all so we had to delete the patch data and as we wanted to play decided to play without the patches.
I've never seen such a clusterfuck before.

c0de

GTSport will do that just first month.

vladimir-putin-laughing.gif

bombshell

It's kinda like Halo, yeah it sold well in isolation, but as part of the series? Not so much.

Well, that's a bad comparison.

For it to be a good comparison a Halo game would need to release on the previous generation console after the launch of the next generation console, but that will never happen for good reasons. Releasing GT6 on PS3 after PS4 launched with no PS4 port was a baffling decision, yet it has sold 5 million copies which is remarkable.

To the other people in this thread who are using the decline from GT5 to GT6 as indication that GTS will sell low numbers, you're forgetting the time of release as well.

nasanu

Banned
Not expecting GTS to come anywhere near this to be honest, 5 million is surprisingly high for how much of a disaster GT6 was and GTS looks even worse. They've made no effort on the physics and sound departments in the newest titles because apparently all that matters is eye candy.

I still can't get over the fact that one of the biggest things that made GT so good, the long career with buying cheap cars and getting attached to them and tuning them, is just gone.

Lol you sound like a GTP member, can barely finish a sentence that does not include a lie.

For a start the physics in GT6 were dramatically different to GT5, the suspension work was obvious. In GTS they seem to have made good gains with the tyre modeling and from my same day plays with GTS and AC with the same car and the same track there is little between them physics wise (with a street car and auto clutch, didn't get to test if GT is now properly modeling the drive train). And the sound did improve in GT6, see the Senna lotus for example and GTS is further improving the sound still.

As for the career mode, let's not kid ourselves, it sucked. Going through the used car list, I liked that, that was cool. But the actual career races were just boring. Hundreds of identical races just to collect the gold trophy and move onto the next. There was no point and little fun. It was do this with different can and a different track 200 times over. Things like the rubberband trick came along so people didn't have to do the boring driving themselves.

But they introduced challenges and everyone loved them. They were varied and fresh. Now it seems everything is a challenge, which is good I feel. But we have seen almost nothing of the offline, so why not wait and see before declaring it gone?

Well, how could anyone ever argue such a well-constructed argument?

Anyway, this is not a mainline GT game, and racers have been on a decline over the last few years. The poster is not wrong in saying that GT Sport might do worse than GT6.
6 dropped on a console that was pretty much done with and at the same time of a new console launch and still managed 5 mil...come on, context goes a long way

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Something that will bother me is the following:

The DS4 controller does not have analog buttons anymore, but I like the classic GT control scheme.

It will be interesting to see how the handling will be.

6 dropped on a console that was pretty much done with and at the same time of a new console launch and still managed 5 mil...come on, context goes a long way

Gran Turismo 6 also dropped on a console with an 80 million user base when most people were still using PS3/360. And as I said, the genre is on a steady decline, as you can extrapolate from Forza and Driveclub sales. On top of that, this isn't a mainline Gran Turismo. I'm not saying that this will definitely perform worse than Gran Turismo 6. I'm merely saying it is likely. And at least I'm presenting my side of the argument and not a "lol no".

Dang, that seems good, but then it lines up with the sales of other franchise entries and it then seems bleak.

In terms of GT Sport, I'm guessing it'll be higher but not quite in the 10 or 11 mill of the franchise's best sellers. I think the loyal fanbase, the type of people that buy a PlayStation console full well anticipating purchasing a GT game as part of their interests on the platform, accounts for at least half the number of GT6's sales. I think there is still a very loyal base to the franchise that, if they haven't already gotten a PS4, will buy one just to get GT Sport. I think this number might be as high as GT6's sales, but I think more conservatively it's probably not any higher than 3 mill. And mind you, I don't believe all of this base buys PlayStation exclusively for access to GT games, but I think GT is at least considered a must-have flagship in the eyes of up to 3 million people.

From then on, I think at least another million will be lapsed GT franchise fans that happen to have a PS4 and will be curious to check out GT's next generational iteration. These types may have skipped on GT6 due to its weird post-PS4-launch release window, and because it may have been perceived as only an iterative step up from GT5 in terms of its features due to things like the disappointing reports about continuing poor audio samples for vehicles and the use of old vehicle models instead of premium-grade, fully-detailed vehicles. May have passed because it seemed like it was just too much like the last -- a sense of same-generation technical diminishing returns. These types, I think, might come back to Sport based on their curiosity to see how PS4 tech carries a GT game -- the typically high production values and generally perceived level of polish the GT franchise brings to each PlayStation console (which, admittedly, may be a reputation that was hurt by GT5's initial release state and GT6's seeming lack of an audience). These are the types of fans that will be back in hopes of witnessing a technical marvel on their PS4, and perhaps looking to play a more realistic-leaning, nuanced driving game that they expect to get from a GT console release.

And then the rest of the sales, which I think will stack on top of the outlining audience above, will just be generalist game players -- the types that will see GT Sport receiving a glowing review here and there, and despite having no particular love for the franchise or for driving/racing games in general, will go ahead and give it a shot. That makes my estimate for this group a little bit high, but I think that since it's the first GT game to debut on PS4, I think the promise of something that really displays the power of the PS4 will draw players in, just like the lapsed fans above -- they just might lack the same level of cohesion about the type of game they're getting into.

bombshell

Gran Turismo 6 also dropped on a console with an 80 million user base when most people were still using PS3/360. And as I said, the genre is on a steady decline, as you can extrapolate from Forza and Driveclub sales. On top of that, this isn't a mainline Gran Turismo. I'm not saying that this will definitely perform worse than Gran Turismo 6. I'm merely saying it is likely. And at least I'm presenting my side of the argument and not a "lol no".

Oh jeez the user base argument, there was not anywhere near 80 million active users on PS3 at that point. On top of that, the most actively buying users were also among the first to jump to PS4 and by my own account that meant no money going to PS3 releases after The Last of Us.

I don't think it's nearly as mainstream a genre as it used to be. On-line has problems for racers, different ability levels can suck the fun out of racing and what was a generous amount of content in the PS2 era looks like a grind these days.

DieH@rd

Banned
Even though GT6 is objectivley better game than GT5, nobody really asked for it. They announced it suddenly for PS3 during the highpoint of hype for PS4, and then they released it after everyone was focused on getting PS4.

Their schedule backfired like made. If they really wanted it for PS3, they should have released it during holiday 2012 season, sales would be much higher.

Anyhow, what's done is done. GTSport will have strong start, but since it is not a full GT game with campagin & metric shitton of cars, I have no clue how will it sell and what legs it will have with PDs online/DLC support.

I don't think it's nearly as mainstream a genre as it used to be. On-line has problems for racers, different ability levels can suck the fun out of racing and what was a generous amount of content in the PS2 era looks like a grind these days.

GTS is trying to address that. There's a pretty detailed system in place that actively works to put you with racers that are on your level or drive similarly to you

gtsport-11j4jyd.jpg

cooldawn

Always has been to be honest. GT4 was the pinnacle of the series and I'd say it was probably on par with Forza 1 maybe. Since then GT has plundered along and probably even gotten worse with its weird physics, awful sounds, and completely null sense of speed while other games have well overtaken it. It's fine enough if you're not a huge fan of racing games (or alternatively stick to the older games) but it's just so misdirected these days.

But yes, it really is much better than GT, especially now.
Is this guy a plant, or something?

Then physics? Because Polyphony invited one of the people form Inside Sim Racing back to their studio at E3 and he said the version they had setup there had physics comparable to Assetto Corso.
Let's not forget that Forza 3 physics scandal either.

EDIT: Sorry...also good sales for a game sent to die. 5 million is good for any franchise bar Grand Theft Auto, especially under the circumstance.

Oh jeez the user base argument, there was not anywhere near 80 million active users on PS3 at that point. On top of that, the most actively buying users were also among the first to jump to PS4 and by my own account that meant no money going to PS3 releases after The Last of Us.

Okay, let's say it was half that, which puts it near the PS4 userbase. There are still other factors. Anyway, I'm not really invested in this sales stuff. Just wanted to offer my two cents to the thread. If it sells over 5 million, great for PD. If it doesn't, there's always GT7.

Something that will bother me is the following:

The DS4 controller does not have analog buttons anymore, but I like the classic GT control scheme.

It will be interesting to see how the handling will be.

Switch to superior right analog stick controls for gas and brake, problem solved.

Audioboxer

Is Forza really better?

Both trade blows, and both are better to different gamers.

The point isn't what is better as each are console exclusives and only available if you own the platform, but how each learn from each other.

Kaz is the epitome of arrogant Sony in that he batters ahead with what he wants. Often this works well for PD and means they are put forward as the poster devs of racing lead by a passionate car enthusiast. Under that veil though when we get down to GT as a game, decent amounts of people are getting a bit tired with PD's lack of listening to what people want improved (or in my case, put back into GT ~ garages and more robust/RPG like SP campaigns). Even just on the car audio/sound front, they've been dragging their heels with that for a while now.

The more they push stuff like esports and ties to real life racing, the more gamers they may lose to Forza. As I said we're not all professional racing drivers, aspire to be, or even care enough to try and emulate.

It's impressive how the physics work in GT, and all the attention to detail, but they should be able with the amount of money, resources and muscle Sony put into the studio (sacrificing other studios for PD) to obtain all of that AND care for multiple types of gamers. If their arrogance to not expanding the studio and/or outsourcing is getting in the way, that is on them, not us. They certainly have the resources to behave like many other well off studios and garner more support or help for putting out massive titles in this era.

Top Bottom