• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport announced

DevilFox

Lol. In other words, our ambition for this title is once again totally unrealistic within the limitations of the hardware, and far outstrips what is technically possible. We just can't seem to control ourselves and with Kaz going AWOL every five minutes we lack any sense of cohesion or direction. Don't worry though, we'll knock something together eventually and hope nobody minds the erratic frame rate and the horrendous screen tearing.

/s

You will not succeed in deflating my hype. :mad:

I posted this in the Sony first party thread since it's not confirmed to be GTS

This was posted by an UBI employee

This is the gif he posted

joaquin-phoenix-shocks9jcv.gif

https://twitter.com/SunnyGearSolid/status/725010936982061057

Speculation is that he's referring to Gran Turismo Sport as this was posted on GTplanet and Jordan (the guy that runs the site and has tight connections with Polyphony) "liked" the post. Rumor is that its been shown around recently and we've now got confirmation that Polyphony has been inviting GT Academy participants to London for an event that starts on May 18th and runs through the 20th.

fRXBm1B.gif

eso76

This thread is now about speculating about speculations about hints of some kind of announcement of an announcement being made at some point.

Why do I keep coming here. A new thread will be made for actual new news I'd imagine.

saladine1

Now just watch as this London event will get delayed as well.

Or maybe he heard the engine sounds and they were even worse than before...

There was a few people who submitted themselves for positions at PD from places such as Sector 3 (Raceroom) and the like. I imagine these guys from the PC sim side of things have joined with Mike in making sure we have some quality audio for the next game.

Raceroom

Seriously, the best driveline/transmission modeling seen in a racing game.

Mobius 1

I feel the time is nigh. I can't remember or find news/speculation about Polyphony adding Circuit of the Americas to their portfolio. I'd like that.

There was a few people who submitted themselves for positions at PD from places such as Sector 3 (Raceroom) and the like. I imagine these guys from the PC sim side of things have joined with Mike in making sure we have some quality audio for the next game.

Raceroom

Seriously, the best driveline/transmission modeling seen in a racing game.
Weren't those guys passed over by PD though? Nothing stops this vacuum-powered train

They've hired these two guys (although there may be more)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexbreuer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/mike-caviezel-8710291

There's another page of Breuer's where it mentions that he's doing sound recording for cars and bikes.
Yeah we knew about the Forza audio guy, and the other guy is a music producer/songwriter.

The Raceroom guys weren't hired (AFAIK); I remember one of them talking about how excited they were to apply at PD, but they didn't get the job. WTF.

saladine1

Yeah we knew about the Forza audio guy, and the other guy is a music producer/songwriter.

The Raceroom guys weren't hired (AFAIK); I remember one of them talking about how excited they were to apply at PD, but they didn't get the job. WTF.

PD probably took a look at his resume and said,"Raceroom...what the fuck is that?"

I don't think Alex is going to be doing the music. Like I mentioned, he lists bikes and cars sounds as what he's working on. And he's been traveling around to different places with Mike.

But I guess we'll find out what they've accomplished in two weeks. I think sound is probably the #1 thing that fans wants to see improved with the series. And I think the frustrating part is that PD clearly knows what we want it to sound like as they overlay sounds in the trailers that we want in game. So hopefully that all comes together with GTS. The trailer should just start with "Everything you're about to see and hear is in-game" and then cut to a black screen with something like the LFA revving its engine before going into the rest of the trailer.

I don't think Alex is going to be doing the music. Like I mentioned, he lists bikes and cars sounds as what he's working on. And he's been traveling around to different places with Mike.

But I guess we'll find out what they've accomplished in two weeks. I think sound is probably the #1 thing that fans wants to see improved with the series. And I think the frustrating part is that PD clearly knows what we want it to sound like as they overlay sounds in the trailers that we want in game. So hopefully that all comes together with GTS. The trailer should just start with "Everything you're about to see and hear is in-game" and then cut to a black screen with something like the LFA revving its engine before going into the rest of the trailer.
PD: We need to improve engine audio. Should we hire these guys who have proven themselves to excel at creating engine audio? No, of course not! Let's hire this songwriter and get him to make the engine audio.

FFS.

I'm all for criticizing them if it still hasn't improved, but we haven't even heard what the guy is capable of yet.
We all acknowledge that that particular area doesn't just need to improve, it needs to improve dramatically. There are a few people who've shown they have the ability to provide those sorts of dramatic improvements, and as luck would have it they even actually applied to work at PD! But PD opted not to hire them, and have a music producer/songwriter (with no previous experience in this area) on the job instead. Does that make sense to anyone? It makes no sense to me.

For an area where PD supposedly understand improvement is needed, why on Earth are they behaving this way? They couldn't afford a couple of extra salaries to make sure their game didn't continue to be a laughing stock in this area?

saladine1

I thought they hired a Turn 10 guy?

They did. Mike C is there.

Man, I can only imagine a game where the likes of Dave Sullivan, Greg Hill, Steve Baysted, Anthony Monteil, Nick Wiswell..etc are at the helm.

It would be the most orgasmic auditory experience ever felt in the history of gaming...

Anyway, I guess I should hold off the criticism until a trailer or such drops.

I'd say Mike alone would get you the dramatic improvement. But we'll just have to wait and see just how dramatic that improvement ends up being. They're obviously not oblivious to the need to improve the sounds dramatically or else they would've never bothered to hire people to help on that front.

GTS in general is going to be interesting since it does appear that they've brought in western devs to help with it. As far as I know all the key roles for past GT's have been only Japanese devs.

I'd say Mike alone would get you the dramatic improvement. But we'll just have to wait and see just how dramatic that improvement ends up being. They're obviously not oblivious to the need to improve the sounds dramatically or else they would've never bothered to hire people to help on that front.

GTS in general is going to be interesting since it does appear that they've brought in western devs to help with it. As far as I know all the key roles for past GT's have been only Japanese devs.
It seems dangerous to stake your entire company's credibility on one guy. What if Mike decides to leave mid way through development? What if it's too much work for one veteran and one rookie to handle?

This thread is now about speculating about speculations about hints of some kind of announcement of an announcement being made at some point.

Why do I keep coming here. A new thread will be made for actual new news I'd imagine.

Someone should make a thread about Jordan from GTP liking a tweet of an ambiguous reaction .gif

JamboGT

I think the more apt news is GT Academy contestants being invited to London for a 3 day event that involves beta testing. Whether that is a news event or a private thing remains to be seen.

It seems dangerous to stake your entire company's credibility on one guy. What if Mike decides to leave mid way through development? What if it's too much work for one veteran and one rookie to handle?
Do you thnk the guys who worked at the original GT sound were fired? I bet they're still there and I bet they're talened as well but never were given any resources(neither time nor money) to improve the actual engine sound.
My guess why PD didn't hire the R3E guy is that the Turn10 guys resume was more impressive and he also was more familiar with the "take actual car audio on a dyno"-approch to model the engine sounds that PD is probably going for.

amar212

So they're moving on from vacuum to lawn mower? ;)

They are moving from two generation of consoles without even >1MB of RAM overhead to console that have 8 cores and as much overhead they can dream of. So yeah, lawn mowers incoming :)

all i know is moon over castle better be in.

It was a bonus track for GT5/6 and not an offcial song, so... But I hope the same.

Did Kaz actually announce a full public beta? I can't remeber how it went.

Yes, as mentioned above. Maybe the beta is closer than we all think, but that is pure speculation on my part.

I am really looking forward seeing the first public playable code. And I hope Thrustmaster will have something new to premiere as well.

It was a bonus track for GT5/6 and not an offcial song, so... But I hope the same.

It was still the theme in the Japanese version of GT5. GT6 was the first time it was replaced around the world as far as the mainline games go. They should avoid doing that again. :)

offshore

It was still the theme in the Japanese version of GT5. GT6 was the first time it was replaced around the world as far as the mainline games go. They should avoid doing that again. :)
Bring back My Chemical Romance! :p

I STILL can't believe that happened with GT5. lol.

Niks

They are moving from two generation of consoles without even >1MB of RAM overhead to console that have 8 cores and as much overhead they can dream of. So yeah, lawn mowers incoming :)

As much overhead they can dream of? Common amar, this is polyphony we are talking about, there's never enough overhead for them. ;)

Not many old GT supporters remains there. He would have been banned at this point and his posts would be used to make fun of him by the very vocal groups and mods who dislike the game. It's good for news but is a weird place to post and engage in discussions.

wait what? GTPlanet is one of the nicest forums there is. It has it's wild moments but that goes for all :D

benzy

Biggest reason for 30fps replays in 5 & 6 is because of the inclusion of motion blur. Even the gameplay cam replays initially had 30fps + MB until they patched it out and went with just 60fps. They should be able to get motion blur + 60fps on the PS4, while in gameplay too.

benzy

The self reflections are throwing me off since every footage and renders we've seen of GTSport shows the lack of side mirrors being reflected on the body.

Apex

They probably can afford self-reflections in menus and photo locations so I would not discard the video by that detail. Overall it looks very "GT".

Top Bottom