• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

burgerdog

So I did not enjoy GT5 and skipped GT6 altogether. I figured I would probably not enjoy another GT, boy was I wrong. I’m having such a blast with this game and the graphics are just mind blowinly good on a pro. I just wish the game didn’t crash as much, I know people are going to be quick to call this a beta but I wouldn’t be so sure that’s the case with the game out so soon. I know they’ll fix it and that’s all that matters.

farisr

Is this a demo? Beta? How old is the build ? Is it retail code ? How is dlc handled ? Free cars and tracks ?
This is near final build beta released with the intention of giving people a taste of the SP content and also do stress testing for the online aspect so that the final release goes smoothly. There is zero confirmation on how DLC will be handled. Whether it's free or not, how many things to expect over the next year or so, we don't know.

PD need to fix up a few things but i expect that to be done.
What they need to do before launch is set out there DLC plan for the first few months.

GHG

I'm not liking any of the rally stuff so far though. Something feels off about it.

Guess I'll just stick to the track racing in this one.

MCD250

I played a little bit today. Not too much, just some of the driving tests and challenges, but wow, man, this game just feels so nice. Like, physically, the handling. It's kinda mesmerizing tbh.

If it keeps up I might well splurge even though I'm not much of a racing guy.

OK, 43 GB seems excessive for a demo, almost like they don't want people trying it. Made me second guess if the download was worth it, so I look up gameplay footage only to discover the game looks absolutely nothing like it does in photo mode. Genuinely couldn't tell you it looks better than GT5 without seeing a direct side by side, so now I'm very confused as to why we're getting 1 GT game for every 3 Forza games.

What's your input source? I played for a good couple of hours or more on a 1080p 70"-80" screen from 15ft away and was thoroughly immersed in it's visual fidelity! It clearly looks way past than what I saw just a few weeks ago when i fired up GT5(which looked good too, but nowhere as sharp and rich as GT Sport)

Crayon

the game is really designed to make you want to keep playing, the SR, while I sometime felt unfair for getting penalty after getting bumped for behind, really make me obsessed to play a clear round and improve my SR.

I feel no pressure to win online races, but I want to get clear run, and the matchmaking to similar time trial run ensure that I always have someone in front and behind me, so it didn't feel like I'm playing on my own just like in other racing game when I was sometimes left behind by large margin.

Same here. I feel like I can race cooperatively with my random matches. In b-grade sr, you can tell other racers are trying not to hit each other, even if they slip up quite often. That's probably why I'm in b-grade. I really try to run clean but I fuck up a couple times a race.

I'm trying to make it to A grade Sr tho. It's really motivated me. The driver rating I'm not so worried about. In the long term I know I need to move up in both. It's a simple system that works to put some real depth into the racing.

I played a little bit today. Not too much, just some of the driving tests and challenges, but wow, man, this game just feels so nice. Like, physically, the handling. It's kinda mesmerizing tbh.

If it keeps up I might well splurge even though I'm not much of a racing guy.

I am playing on default steering sensitivity and it feels incredible. Braking and gradual speeds in corners has definitely allowed me to get better at it and it's paying off!

So I was rewarded this black BMW M series car, but for some reason there's no god damn cockpit view for it. Are there actually cars in GT Sport without cockpit view?

I'm not liking any of the rally stuff so far though. Something feels off about it.

Guess I'll just stick to the track racing in this one.

your suggestion on the not accelerate crazily in corners worked like gem! As for rally, yeah I just couldn't seem to get the hang of it. It's god damn tough, keep hitting on both sides unless I am driving at snails space!

Crayon

So I was rewarded this black BMW M series car, but for some reason there's no god damn cockpit view for it. Are there actually cars in GT Sport without cockpit view?

That would have to be a glitch. All the cars have cockpit view.

GHG

PD got tired of hearing people bitch about the low car count so stealth added all the standard cars back in.

Ogawa-san

I can't go near options, the game crashes every time. I can race just fine though.

Edit: just noticed in-game that it's a known issue. Oops.

Vuci

The presentation is perfect. Great UI and SFX as always. I miss the soundtrack selection from the GT1 and GT2 days though.. (during gameplay) but maybe that's because I'm not used to playing the US versions?

Is Moon over the castle even in this game?

Razgreez

your suggestion on the not accelerate crazily in corners worked like gem! As for rally, yeah I just couldn't seem to get the hang of it. It's god damn tough, keep hitting on both sides unless I am driving at snails space!

For rallying you need to constantly be feathering the brake and throttle. The brakes are your best friend and you need to ensure your corner entry and exit speeds are not too fast. Pushing the accelerator hard just causes wheel spin which loses grip, control and time. Just take it easy and try to stay one the brown stuff (off the green stuff) and it will come to you.

Razgreez

How is the reception so far? I just looked the last few pages and it seems mostly positive?

If I'm honest I thought I'd be down on this game given the supposed lack of content and the presumed graphical inadequacies but having played the bemo, or deta, thus far has brought all the enthusiasm right back. Doesn't hurt that the games looks and feels great

Every car has detailed interior with cockpit view.

That would have to be a glitch. All the cars have cockpit view.

PD got tired of hearing people bitch about the low car count so stealth added all the standard cars back in.

need to take that car in garage for a time trial to check once again if it was a one time glitch, because hitting R1 for selecting views didn't get me the cockpit view. Also the game's menu after a race started to lag!

For rallying you need to constantly be feathering the brake and throttle. The brakes are your best friend and you need to ensure your corner entry and exit speeds are not too fast. Pushing the accelerator hard just causes wheel spin which loses grip, control and time. Just take it easy and try to stay one the brown stuff (off the green stuff) and it will come to you.

noted!

cakely

OK, 43 GB seems excessive for a demo, almost like they don't want people trying it. Made me second guess if the download was worth it, so I look up gameplay footage only to discover the game looks absolutely nothing like it does in photo mode. Genuinely couldn't tell you it looks better than GT5 without seeing a direct side by side, so now I'm very confused as to why we're getting 1 GT game for every 3 Forza games.

Ho hoho ho

That's an extremely bad decoded video.

Also why are you trying to make sense of GT Sports development time? It's how Polyphony are. Everyone agrees they take too much time but I don't see how that can make you confused.

To answer your question though, the 'demo' is basically the full game trial, that's why it's 43 GB.

The games a lot tougher than forza, I couldn’t even do the level with the dirt road, but I did improve as I kept playing. I’m not the biggest fan of racing games but I’m gonna keep at it these next few days

Crayon

Is Sport mode only Daily races?? I had to wait like 20 minutes to play a match.

There's only 3 races up rn. Now that it's working right, I was taking them all. When I get out of one, the next one is starting in ten minutes. I do hope there are more than three at a time for release tho.

Apply full gas before the light. Let the Rev limiter ping over and over, don't let go, gold is yours.
That did it. Thanks :) Some games penalize you when you do that, so I didn't try my luck before.

Also, Circuit Experience is awesome. Full breakdowns of each turn with timed targets with a particular car, for each sector and the track as a whole. Last time I played something close to this was Track Mastery in NFS: Shift.

And integrating friend's times into their own leaderboard - something you'd expect nowadays, is still appreciated.

Man this game is polished as fuck.

How is the reception so far? I just looked the last few pages and it seems mostly positive?
THE GOOD
  • It has that obvious AAA polish that's marked the GT series.
  • Menus are slick.
  • Graphics are amazing.
  • Pad controls are spot on.
  • Core gameplay is great.
  • Photo modes are amazing.
  • Livery stuff in incredible, way better than I expected.
  • Netcode is fantastic.

THE BEIGE CARPET
  • Sound is mediocre (which is an upgrade from previous games).

THE BAD
  • Single player is just the old licence test stuff mixed with GT5 Prologue.
  • Track selection is very limited.
  • Car selection is very limited.

The reception seems to be very positive from those who've been following the game, because we already knew about those bad things prior to the demo, and the stuff we didn't know about all turned out to be good.

Neith

Banned
What do people think about Rally? I'm not sure what to think. Car seems a little icy to me. Have not played much rally style lately in any game.

Dunno about the complaints for sound, it's ridiculously good on a CT 800. Bought it just for this game.

Only thing I need next is the Sony OLED then I'm gucci with GTS for years.
What do people think about Rally? I'm not sure what to think. Car seems a little icy to me. Have not played much rally style lately in any game.

Feels too slippery to me but I honestly don't know what to feel with dirt racing. Not sure what to compare really since I have no reference, don't really play other rally games or watch rally racing at all.

I don't know about accuracy or realism but taking the RCZ Group B out to Colorado Springs is one hell of a ride.

Neith

Banned
Doesn't feel that much like real dirt to me.

Just started the rally. After being amazed at the normal racing, the fucking rally is a joke in chase cam. I wasn't doing well so I switched over to that view to try it out. There are no real sound effects for rallying on dirt in chase. Listen to your car coast over the dirt. It's terrible.

The car slides around so comically without any real impression that I cannot believe this is what we are getting in the final game for rally. Definitely gonna bring this up on relevant forums.

I played enough Dirt 2 and 3 to know what at least decent rallying feels like and I played Dirt Rally too. They really need to work on this IMO.

Okay so hood cam sounds a bit better in rally. Still seems a bit lacking to me.

I drive hood cam in normal, but I'm not sure about rally.

TKM

I'm mostly into single-player games, and looking to GTS mostly as a museum of motorsports. Scapes photomode, and replays are gorgeous no doubt, but in game is stunning in HDR. I don't understand the negative comments at all. It's HDR done right, and not trying to overwhelm my eyes with how bright the sun is.

Driving School is like a "welcome home" from Gran Turismo. Knocking over green traffic cones with rock music playing gives me a twinge of nostalgia. And the track sector practices really are helpful. Had a fun moment online watching a 3 pack of cars ahead of me who were carrying far too much speed into a corner at Dragon Trail. They predictably binned it, and probably skipped driver training. I know because I smashed into that corner at least two dozen times in Mission Challenges.

Surprised how much I'm actually enjoying online races. Drivers so far have been extremely well behaved. Crashing is slow and lowers SR, simple and effective. Do well by driving well.

I was always going to buy this day 1 and see for myself, regardless of reviews or forum impressions. This demo assures a place for GTS in my home. PD nailed it.

IISANDERII

This is my issue, I could never be around in time for a race to start. I also don't want to join a random lobby either. Bummer because I'm excited to try Sport mode but the hoops you have to jump through are really dumb.
Hoops? You need to set aside some time for a sim racer, what a shocker!!

Crayon

I know I said I would want the 30fps with blur option for gameplay but I think I would have turned it off by now. I played over 6 hours today and the clean 60fps image was easy on the eyes. 30fps with a bunch of blur could have caused fatigue.

GHG

In sport mode you have entry times, so look at the time and go do something else until it opens.

Then you have qualifying for 10 minutes or so. This is so that you can get to know the car/track better in time for the race and more importantly set a time that dictates the group you will be racing against and your grid placement.

Then the race starts.

It's pretty standard fare for any semi serious online racing event. If you want to jump into quicker more casual races then there are other modes for that in this game.

I Like everything I’ve tried so far except having to wait 20m for races in sport mode. Is this really how it works?

They may be more often come the retail release, but I think they want to give players time to setup their car, have a few practice laps and chalk up a good lap time before the race begins.

Ponchito

Just started the rally. After being amazed at the normal racing, the fucking rally is a joke in chase cam. I wasn't doing well so I switched over to that view to try it out. There are no real sound effects for rallying on dirt in chase. Listen to your car coast over the dirt. It's terrible.

The car slides around so comically without any real impression that I cannot believe this is what we are getting in the final game for rally. Definitely gonna bring this up on relevant forums.

I played enough Dirt 2 and 3 to know what at least decent rallying feels like and I played Dirt Rally too. They really need to work on this IMO.

Okay so hood cam sounds a bit better in rally. Still seems a bit lacking to me.

I drive hood cam in normal, but I'm not sure about rally.

That rally physics were a joke. The terrain feels floaty and its abysmal to control.

Neith

Banned
That rally physics were a joke. The terrain feels floaty and its abysmal to control.

I have started to play rally with the road cam. Only way it is doable to me. Rally is a joke in this game if you ask me. You can seemingly often just get better times by driving all over the place with more speed.

IDK I'm not an expert. Maybe this is good to people. It feels floaty as all hell.

Also, overall I think Driveclub is still definitely the best looking game. With a Pro patch and some added details it would be positively amazing in some environments. GTS looks really good for 60FPS though. And the lighting is really good in a lot of places. But I see a lot of poor detail on the roadsides sometimes.

Honestly, playing this makes me want to go finish some DLC in DC too.

What I've played of the GTS rally stuff doesn't feel good. There's no grab to the tires, the cars just seem to slide like they're on ice. The old PS1/2 rally games such as Colin Mcrae or Rally Cross felt way better, and even though those had primitive graphics, they gave a better visceral feel for the mud and dirt of rally racing.

Maybe you should play a bit with the chase cam settings. This is what fixed the gliding for me.
I play with cockpit view only. Honestly I'm not entirely sure what exactly is involved in this "gliding feeling" because the car itself technically moves in the direction you expect it to. It must be something to do with audio and camera feedback or something. I'll try to play this and PCars2 back to back to try and identify exactly what's going on.

Top Bottom