• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

Just let me play arcade or something. It even says I should be able to play arcade when offline. Really pissed off that again I can’t play at the time I want to play. And becasue I haven’t been online once, I have to go through that bloody options thingy again and again.

Offline play is not available in the demo, only in the full game.

Kyoto driving park is so much fun with these karts. Shame some try and knock you, which can easily spin you out. This is in B SR as well. I can only imagine the horrors of C.

Managed to win this car though:

i1VbdzI0DQu1dW.jpg

Looks like its going to be a fun open wheeler. Tail happy, reminds me of the Caterham, only problem is really short gears.....much like the Caterham.

Razgreez

I'm going to riot if my endurance gold wasn't saved, RIOT!
Made a silly mistake in the 27th lap but managed to catch up and pass the M6 in the last corner. It was beautiful. :(

The race is rubber banded so it's an easy but time consuming do over. You'll always find yourself close to that car in the end as long as you don't drive terribly.

I did it twice and was significantly faster the second time (my race pace was over 20 secs faster) yet still came out behind it after my final pitstop

Footos22

Kyoto driving park is so much fun with these karts. Shame some try and knock you, which can easily spin you out. This is in B SR as well. I can only imagine the horrors of C.

i1VbdzI0DQu1dW.jpg

Looks like its going to be a fun open wheeler. Tail happy, reminds me of the Caterham, only problem is really short gears.....much like the Caterham.

Karts, wait what ....

Are you sure campaign progress carries over? It's not among the things they've announced.

That wouldn't be a problem as they didn't guarantee it indeed but losing your SP progress because you can't save to the server and then get a crash in the menu's could be a HUGE pain in the ass in the final game.

Mr YuYu

This is my first time with GT and the first thing I noticed is the horibble horrible soundtrack. Is there a way to select tracks or just turn the music off? I can't seem to find the option.
That 'We are the champions' tune is the cringy'est thing ever.

I just use Spotify in the background. It the first game that I use Spotify with but it works really well!

Just let me play arcade or something. It even says I should be able to play arcade when offline. Really pissed off that again I can’t play at the time I want to play. And becasue I haven’t been online once, I have to go through that bloody options thingy again and again.

Seriously, what sort of demo is this. I literally cannot do anything. Finally got into qualifying pre an interlagos race and it disconnected while matching for the race. So it's failed again. I'm heading off for a meal in about half an hour so I can't even start the next 'scheduled' race because I won't have time to finish it. This demo is really leaving a sour taste in all honesty. Not good at all.

Longtime GT fan, and PC sim racer here -- anyone else feel that driving with the controller is just off? It sucks that Sony/Logitech blocked the G27 and Driving Force GT, so I've had to revert to other methods to get it to work, but man, with all the assists on I'm 20+ seconds behind, and with them off, the cars seem to be a bit uncontrollable. Hoping my solution to get the old wheels working pays off tonight.

Changing the stick sensitivity helped the feel a lot for me. You can change that in Driving Options within a race, go to Advanced Settings in there. I set it to 4. Not sure why it's buried in there, should be in the general options menu.

That cart race last night was really fun, but at C level SR it was like a bunch of rubber balls bouncing around the track. Gave me a couple of scares as carts bounced back onto the track right in front of me.

GHG

Tracks in Arcade are unlocked by driver level at certain level milestones. It said so somewhere in the game, do not remember where.

Damn it. I hate it when racing games lock tracks behind Experience levels. Cars I understand, but tracks? Come on now.

benzy

i1VbdzI0DQu1dW.jpg

Was thinking about buying that Honda. Where do you win it, or is it one of the lottery prize cars?

bombshell

Well now I'm worried I'll have to grind to unlock the Nurburgring for time trials in Arcade mode.

The Circuit Experience category in campaign is basically time trials and it has all tracks. It has sector time trials and a full lap time trial, so you should be able to get lots of xp in there to raise your driver level.

Gaenor

Banned
The Circuit Experience category in campaign is basically time trials and it has all tracks. It has sector time trials and a full lap time trial, so you should be able to get lots of xp in there to raise your driver level.

Can you choose any car you want though in Circuit Experience ? Probably not.

JJShadow

Man, I really REALLY hope that all these servers problems are just due to the fact that is a free demo and everyone is playing it

During the last three days I've only managed to complete one Sport race, all my other attempts have been ruined by constant network errors and disconnections. This is the only thing that is holding me back about pre-ordering

EDIT: aaand servers down again

coiler

I had to do 4x the daily distance to get a third GT86.
Hope the problems from today are just a Beta thing in less than one week before the release :/

deadfolk

So my one brief window to try the demo and the servers are down.

Is there no way to play at all offline? The error message says arcade only, but even that's greyed out for me.

Edit: nm. Got in.

Those are only good for a single lap, with retries putting you back at the start again.

True time trials for me are endless runs where your best time is recorded. Helps me to get into a flow.

My spidey-sense is tingling hard regarding these design choices. Really do get the feeling this will have to do with the game's DLC model in some way.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Awesome demo. I played it last night and it kept surprising me with so many unexpected flourishes. From how the cars are presented in the Brand Map view - seriously that is pure genius with how they overlay real world video feeds of location with realtime rendered cars, to insane quality renders in photomode, to how awesome gameplay looks during the dawn and sunset, to how engaging it was to just drive the oval track (which also looks better than any oval track has any right to). The game is just pure class.

SMD

After two days with this, I'm really not feeling it. There's no real sense of speed and I'm just not enjoying the racing. Hopefully they can improve this over time but for now, I think I'm gonna stick with Forza (not 7) and Project Cars.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
You don't want to ship a game with the options crashing like that. 6 days, pd. No pressure.

Seriously. Just played the demo a bit last night. Did a couple trial events before wading into the options menu to try to adjust some wheel settings.

Four consisently replicated hard crashes later, I turned off the console and had no more interest to play at all.

GL Polyphony!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Does anyone know what is the difference between the Quality and Framerate mode that you can choose on Pro? I played for hours last night on the Quality mode (which has near-perfect image quality on a 1080p TV btw) and haven't seen a single dropped frame... so what's the point of a framerate mode then? I understand that it's supposed to show the replays running in 60FPS, but why would anyone actually play in that mode?

bombshell

Those are only good for a single lap, with retries putting you back at the start again.

True time trials for me are endless runs where your best time is recorded. Helps me to get into a flow.

I knew that and I didn't suggest it as a substitute to the proper time trials, but just as a time trial like way for you to get a lot of tracks unlocked in Arcade. We also don't know yet which driver level milestones are needed to unlock each track.

Does anyone know what is the difference between the Quality and Framerate mode that you can choose on Pro? I played for hours last night on the Quality mode (which has near-perfect image quality on a 1080p TV btw) and haven't seen a single dropped frame... so what's the point of a framerate mode then? I understand that it's supposed to show the replays running in 60FPS, but why would anyone actually play in that mode?
The most apparent difference is 60fps replays vs 30fps in performance mode.

The race is rubber banded so it's an easy but time consuming do over. You'll always find yourself close to that car in the end as long as you don't drive terribly.

I did it twice and was significantly faster the second time (my race pace was over 20 secs faster) yet still came out behind it after my final pitstop

It did save fortunately!
I wasn't familiar with the track so it also took me two tries but it's a fun way to learn that track. A third time would have been too much, at least during this beta. :p

I do find it weird how you blast full speed in the pitlane though untill you warp to the box, a limiter would have made more sense with a realtime animation attached imo.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The most apparent difference is 60fps replays vs 30fps in performance mode.
I would assume that the other difference is that the image quality is worse - while the game still runs at 60FPS, making that mode near-pointless it seems. If that's how it is, they should have just made it possible to choose to have 30/60FPS replays toggle option, while the rest of the game always runs in 'Quality' mode.

cakely

You only get that option when using a Pro with a 1080p TV. As far as I know, it turns off super sampling and renders everything at native 1080p. If you choose "quality" mode, you get downsampled 3200x1800 using checkerboard rendering.

I tried both options, and I didn't see any differences in performance. Caveat: I'm not digital foundry.

Footos22

Seriously, what sort of demo is this. I literally cannot do anything. Finally got into qualifying pre an interlagos race and it disconnected while matching for the race. So it's failed again. I'm heading off for a meal in about half an hour so I can't even start the next 'scheduled' race because I won't have time to finish it. This demo is really leaving a sour taste in all honesty. Not good at all.

It's a stress test, they are doing their job.

Daily reward, day 2. Weirdly, the game did not save and it rolled again, and I won it again. Makes me think it may not be entirely RNG.

Pretty sure it saves those random pulls locally so you can't abuse the system for rerolls somehow. E.g. before the beta officially started I got the Mustang 4 times when looking at demo races.

Top Bottom