• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport PSX 2016 Trailer

Gurish

Visually it looks spectacular as was expected from a current gen GT but we all know the game will feel pretty dated as usual.

Mush

lol, I think they hired him just for the music or something..
It's like an improvement, don't get me wrong here. But it's a far cry from the complete overhaul we were promised.

And don't even get me started on the release date.

It's beginning to look like pre-GT5 all over again...

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
All this time and no proper single player campaign or decent sound. Bet the bumper car physics are still there. You can see what they are concentrating on and that's the graphics, which are impressive.

Putty

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the offline mode that we are already aware of will get expanded up on to include much more "career style content".

Sebmugi

It is necessary to establish a solid graphical and physical engine before working on the rest..
Sounds, collisions, damage etc... will follow

cooldawn

Nothing in this video showcases any improvements over GT5/6 AI. It's still way too slow because it's on the brakes earlier and longer than the player. Just look at the huge gaps he made up between corners, that guy was toying with it.

GT PSP S class AI is still the best from Polyphony.
If you know Gran Turismo you would be able to make the game as hard or as easy as you'd like. This applies to Gran Turismo 5, a trick to encourage really, really fast AI.

Sound is definitely improved, if people still aren't impressed maybe that's indicative of how bad it was before :)

That said, some of the alternatives it's being compared to, have these blustering fire-spitting sounds that aren't realistic either, as cool as they might sound.

This is slowly becoming my most looked forward to game nonetheless. Those graphics, improved sound, physics, and an online focus, I couldn't be happier.

Logsi

Am I the only one that thinks that still sounds like ass?

Been royally spoilt by Forza. I have been staving off buying a One purely for Forza in the hope of a good racer that equals Forza. Project Cars was an epic racer but lacked the modding side of Forza that I loved.

jm89

I hope they move on to GT7 development quick, i don't want them spending any more time on this half assed game.

Drackhorn

The game looks amazing but I fear we won't have the GT classic tracks like Deep Forest, Cape Ring, Grand Valley Speedway and many others. Those tracks had a fantastic flow I couldn't find in other race games and they need to be in a GT title. I hope they will and if not, they will be in GT7.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Career mode could be easily replaced by a instant race mode.

Missions would be nice and the online event competitions.

I don't mind no career mode. I do mind too much emphasis on online. Online racing games are instant rage mode for me because people are bastards so although I love them, racing games are single player only for me

Fox Mulder

I don't mind no career mode. I do mind too much emphasis on online. Online racing games are instant rage mode for me because people are bastards so although I love them, racing games are single player only for me

I'm the same.

Which is why I hate drivatars in forza. They turn single player racing into a fucking online lobby. AI cars will cut corners, brake early, have turn one pileups involving half the grid, and other dumb shit. Awful.

If you know Gran Turismo you would be able to make the game as hard or as easy as you'd like. This applies to Gran Turismo 5, a trick to encourage really, really fast AI.

What trick other than gimping your car? With GT Sport that won't even be possible with no tuning options 😩

Are the 60fps replays Pro exclusive?

Since the lighting is prebaked are the shadows for the environment prebaked as well?

Doesn't seem prebaked in the e3 trailer when you see the aerial shot of the Speedway. Only thing prebaked should be indirect lighting otherwise surfaces won't look realistic from different angles.

magawolaz

You just need to race with friends/other gaffers. Once you find a good group of clean drivers you'll never go back to offline racing. It's just too much fun, especially if you are all in a Party Chat.
Happened to me with pCars, Driveclub, AC, Ride (and even GT6 late in the cycle)... I barely touched their career modes, or open lobbies.

I hope they bring back GT6 community options (club creation, race editor) in GT Sport... maybe we can resurrect the NeoGAF Racing League

Horp

Fishermans...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XArakRIZL7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOlWu2unb_Q

Sounds really nice on these. The reverb sounds lovely aswell when the cars head off into the distant..

Do you seriously think this sounds good or are you being sarcastic?

Edit:
I mean it's such a basic sample. No rattling, no noise, no vibrating metal...
I saw a video of a guy describing the basics of making car sounds, and it had 3 basic components. This has only 1 of them, and it's so god damn obvious too.
Next level sound design is when you make sure the engine noises match the other noises from the car (like the noise from the ground); since all bumps and friction will alter the overall sound. In these clips it's once again so damn obvious that the "environment noises" are a completely separate sample running on its own.
Embarrasing, PD.

horkrux

I can't see that. GT has a history of being pretty good at believable in that regard. You can even see how the distance between light on the track and car isn't a constant value but real time calculated.

They seem to lap over though. Like the light reflection of the car behind the other is unaffected by the car in the front. Not that big of a deal, but it gives the third car in particular a funny look. Might even be realistic, idk.

Apex

Forza let's you do the same and it's lighting is pre baked. Since lighting/weather doesn't change at all during a race I doubt its dynamic
If I remember correctly in FM4 not even the cast shadows over the track from the bridges, poles, etc vary between the sun-time selectable presets. Has this changed in the newer games? I mean FM5-6-Apex, not Horizon.

From 8:00 to 8:10. Check the shadows. This level of small increment can't be prebacked or would need an inmense ammount of disc space just to store all the random possible variations from a single track.

gts10min6bxei.gif

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Wanted to share pics I grabbed from the video. Hopefully you guys are OK with it. Sorry for quality issues.
31116126770_5ce1b60ec0_h.jpg

31116126700_57f8a8b278_h.jpg

31371414121_9b544b2c59_h.jpg

31116126650_b6925da07f_h.jpg

30646140154_4b5ab95358_h.jpg

31116126350_e4721a2992_h.jpg

31116126330_84756e7249_h.jpg

31116126240_ab99ca9056_h.jpg

30646139934_f5bc1a0232_h.jpg

31116126220_2a3596f3a0_h.jpg

31116126110_1ca8fabdfd_h.jpg

jett

D-Member
If I remember correctly in FM4 not even the cast shadows over the track from the bridges, poles, etc vary between the sun-time selectable presets. Has this changed in the newer games? I mean FM5-6-Apex, not Horizon.

From 8:00 to 8:10. Check the shadows. This level of small increment can't be prebacked or would need an inmense ammount of disc space just to store all the random possible variations from a single track.

gts10min6bxei.gif

As far as we know it's all prebaked. There are only a few TOD settings to choose from in each track. I don't see where you getting "immense amount of disc space."

Replays look absolutely incredible. But can anyone post gameplay screens? I just need to know if it tops driveclub visually or nah

Apex

As far as we know it's all prebaked. There are only a few TOD settings to choose from in each track. I don't see where you getting "immense amount of disc space."
I thought that the GT site was showing random examples created with the combination of "Light / Weather / Time Scenery Variation", not all the fixed presets available on each track. If that's the case and the game does not have an option to set the time then yes, those tracks should have backed graphics.

jett

D-Member
I thought that the GT site was showing random examples created with the combination of "Light / Weather / Time Scenery Variation", not all the fixed presets available on each track. If that's the case and the game does not have an option to set the time then yes, those tracks should have backed graphics.

I'm pretty sure that's the case. There's no point in not having dynamic time of day otherwise.

nasanu

Banned
As with every GT game since GT4, they promised the sound would get a big overhaul:

The best sound guy in the industry applied for a job at PD and they didn't hire him.

They hired a music producer to do engine audio instead.

The game currently (still) has audio that sucks balls.

Does any of this make sense? No. No it doesn't. Yet it's all true.

You have no clue about the truth. Why do you make claims about things they know nothing about? Or will you tell me you know why exactly each employee at PD was hired for which position?

Your logic is so very flawed. At the moment I am a final candidate for a frontend developer position for a major website. According to your logic it would be crazy to even consider me because I am a C# backend dev judging by my current job. But that doesn't tell you that I am also a top frontend dev, you would need to actually know a little about me to know that, not simply read a job title and judge.

And the so called best sound guy in the industry, on what grounds was he not hired? What was the reasoning apart from this guy is great so let's show him the door? I am sure you know so please inform us all.

You have no clue about the truth. Why do you make claims about things they know nothing about? Or will you tell me you know why exactly each employee at PD was hired for which position?
When the news of the music producer being hired came to light, we all initially assumed that he must have been hired to work on music/music licensing, but solidsnakex posted some info where it was revealed that he was working on engine audio. It was in one of the recent GT threads here; you post in all of them so you shouldn't have any trouble digging it up.

And the so called best sound guy in the industry, on what grounds was he not hired? What was the reasoning apart from this guy is great so let's show him the door? I am sure you know so please inform us all.
I honestly can't answer that: as I very specifically pointed out in my post, it makes no sense, yet it's true.

nasanu

Banned
When the news of the music producer being hired came to light, we all initially assumed that he must have been hired to work on music/music licensing, but solidsnakex posted some info where it was revealed that he was working on engine audio. It was in one of the recent GT threads here; you post in all of them so you shouldn't have any trouble digging it up.

I honestly can't answer that: as I very specifically pointed out in my post, it makes no sense, yet it's true.

As I said, what reasons did PD have? Is the guy brilliant at engine audio or a total novice? You know SFA about it, nor does any internet thread. You look at one job the guy had and automagically know everything about the guys abilities. Whatever.

Until you can tell me why one person was hired over another you have nothing useful to say on the issue and I would bet that if you spoke to who did the hiring at PD you would have no reason to say it makes no sense.

As I said, what reasons did PD have? Is the guy brilliant at engine audio or a total novice? You know SFA about it, nor does any internet thread. You look at one job the guy had and automagically know everything about the guys abilities. Whatever.

Until you can tell me why one person was hired over another you have nothing useful to say on the issue and I would bet that if you spoke to who did the hiring at PD you would have no reason to say it makes no sense.
Have you sat on many interview panels? A resume is great, but an actual portfolio is always better, and in the case of this guy, he legitimately can point to the best work in the industry as being his work. The proof has already been posted in this thread.

So why would he not be considered appointable? It's clearly not his abilities or technical capacity. Not a team player? Hard to judge that in an interview. Interviewed poorly? Not uncommon in technical roles in my personal experience - this is where a portfolio counts for so much. Unwilling to relocate? Unable to speak Japanese? Asking for too much money? Those are all things that PD could have worked out if they wanted him badly - and they needed him badly. But they didn't work those things out. And the audio is still terrible.

Mascot

Not really surprising to hear that car audio is still terrible. PD seem incapable of addressing this effectively.

Top Bottom