• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport PSX 2016 Trailer

Dovahking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W7kBO7FZvk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fAVIPnGcjk

hair-dryer-2.gif

After playing this at PSX in their custom race car setups I realized I need to hurry up and build a rig for my G25. It was so fun!

Only thing is I wish they had the manual stick shifter instead of paddle shifters. Also, even though the setups at PSX had a clutch pedal, it didn't actually do anything and wasn't needed to shift. I dunno if it was their speakers in the booth or the ones directly in the rig, but man the engine and exhaust sounds sounded really good.

BigEmil

GTS lighting I feel is its strongest feature ever since the reveal I read someone comment stylised pastel lighting or something like that before

eso76

Hehe exactly what we used to say back in the day too lol

that's what everyone thought back then.
It was a mix of several things: environment mapping on cars was something we had never seen before, the cars moved so realistically on the track and the camera work during replays was nothing like the games you'd see back then and very TV like.
The palette was limited but accurate and car models, despite being extremely low poly, were faithful and well proportioned, which wasn't common at all.
It's true: while squinting it would look 'real'.
Similar titles that came out much later, like Sega GT on Dreamcast, just weren't as convincing despite being technically on a completely different galaxy.
GT was one huge leap forward for the genre.

Aegus

I don't get why they put all that effort into the graphics if they aren't going to do the same for sound. The sound of the car is a big part of why people love them!

Best lighting and car models in the biz. Hope it delivers. GT was my favourite racegame back in the days and I hope for the return of the king.

paskowitz

I hope I am not the only one, but the lack of dynamic lighting (headlights casting light and shadow) really hurts the visual immersion.

Space_nut

I hope I am not the only one, but the lack of dynamic lighting (headlights casting light and shadow) really hurts the visual immersion.

I'm sure the pre baked lighting helps them keep performance up. Gotta do some sacrifices to make other parts of the engine better.

Damn look at the pace of the yellow M4. When I played at gamescom driving the SLS GT3 without aids and with the AI set to professional I had the same experience. I barely could overtake the car in first position. The AI is much faster now.

Nothing in this video showcases any improvements over GT5/6 AI. It's still way too slow because it's on the brakes earlier and longer than the player. Just look at the huge gaps he made up between corners, that guy was toying with it.

GT PSP S class AI is still the best from Polyphony.

a916

Must resist not buying.... looks gorgeous and I bet it feels great.

Those sounds though, come on PD... what the hell.

jdw_b

Nothing in this video showcases any improvements over GT5/6 AI. It's still way too slow because it's on the brakes earlier and longer than the player. Just look at the huge gaps he made up between corners, that guy was toying with it.

GT PSP S class AI is still the best from Polyphony.

Yep, the ai looks exactly the same. Main reason I gave up on GT5 & 6

plidex

What exactly is this career mode you guys want? That same buy a car, win race, buy faster car, win race, buy faster car, win race, buy faster car, win race....

God that was boring. There was a reason the rubber band trick was invented. People wanted to automate that crap so they didn't have to do it. They only thing people enjoyed where the challenges and special events when they were introduced. So pd took out the old pointless grind and is giving only special events and challenges, but now everyone complains?...

You really want it more boring?

I think the career had its charm, it's just that the prices of some cars were so crazy that grinding was necessary, and grinding it's not fun.

Not having career mode doesn't necessarily mean you won't have to grind.

I'm just wondering, what information do we really have about the singe player aspect of the game? On their web site they mention a campaign mode.

After playing this at PSX in their custom race car setups I realized I need to hurry up and build a rig for my G25. It was so fun!

Only thing is I wish they had the manual stick shifter instead of paddle shifters. Also, even though the setups at PSX had a clutch pedal, it didn't actually do anything and wasn't needed to shift. I dunno if it was their speakers in the booth or the ones directly in the rig, but man the engine and exhaust sounds sounded really good.

I have bad news for you, the G25 isn't compatible with the PS4. I had to buy a new wheel.

The clutch probably wasn't needed because of the cars used.

How would instant race be a substitute for the well known career mode?!

The cups are just random races with specific limitation in the car selection.

Where is the difference if you make an instant race with the option that the game selects comparable AI cars?

That would also fix the problem that several types of cars weren't covered by the cups.

c0de

The cups are just random races with specific limitation in the car selection.

Where is the difference if you make an instant race with the option that the game selects comparable AI cars?

That would also fix the problem that several types of cars weren't covered by the cups.

Still you get the feeling of a "career" somehow with some feeling of progress. It's like guiding people new to the game on their way to faster cars, longer tracks and generally harder races.
If there is not much difference like you say to quick start races, it is also not a big deal to include it into the game.

Still you get the feeling of a "career" somehow with some feeling of progress. It's like guiding people new to the game on their way to faster cars, longer tracks and generally harder races.
If there is not much difference like you say to quick start races, it is also not a big deal to include it into the game.

When the "career" feel happens through the driving schools, missions and online races. I don't see how that wouldn't be an improvement over previous GT titles.

c0de

When the "career" feel happens through the driving schools, missions and online races. I don't see how that wouldn't be an improvement over previous GT titles.

Because a mission is not a race? And the dependency to online races is just not necessary and wasn't before and would potentially exclude all the people who won't buy PS+.

Razgreez

Driveclub, smiveclub

You shut your dirty mouth - DC is over 2yrs old, has far better sound, a wealth of content, seamlessly integrated online challenges for both single and multiplayer and and... man why'd you have to go there :'(

Funk sakes PD why not just hire DC's audio engineer(s).

Game looks better and better each time they show it, some of the replay footage is stunning.

My only concerns are the lack of a ordinary career mode and stable framerate on a standard PS4.

Oh and yeah, those sounds are crap as usual. They need to outsource their sound design team.

Aggelos

We are truly reaching a point were reality and games cant be distinguished.

Absolutely.
With PS4 Pro and MS Scorpio, I think we've reached a point where real-time graphics are equal (if not better) to the pre-rendered CGI of FF The Spirits Within.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Final-Fantasy-The-Spirits-Within-Blu-ray/465/
And those have to do with people.

For a game like GT Sport, where the main focus is cars and racing, if you show those graphics to an older person (who's is not so well acquainted with the digital age), they might think that what they see in the GT Sport trailer is something real....

Dem graphics of the GT Sport!!

c0de

Game looks better and better each time they show it, some of the replay footage is stunning.

My only concerns are the lack of a ordinary career mode and stable framerate on a standard PS4.

Oh and yeah, those sounds are crap as usual. They need to outsource their sound design team.

It has to be stable as it will be also on VR which means a *locked* 60fps. But I do believe graphics will be downgraded for VR, just like with DC (which was a 30fps racer, yes, but there is more to the downgrade than just cutting the rendertime at half).

Top Bottom