• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2: Bigger Worlds, Little Details, Silly Side Quests

This is why Sony should have put the damn thing in their conference. Game looks amazing and they could have spent a few extra min with it. Instead we got yet another Zombie game eating up whole bunch of time.
Is this gonna be a thing every damn gravity rush 2 thread?. Screw Sony for showing off this new IP from a studio who hasn't made an AAA console game in years and not showing the sequel to a game people love but won't buy. I love gravity rush but it's niche.

HYDE

Banned
Is this gonna be a thing every damn gravity rush 2 thread?. Screw Sony for showing off this new IP from a studio who hasn't made an AAA console game in years and not showing the sequel to a game people love but won't buy. I love gravity rush but it's niche.

Sony Bend has yet to make an interesting game imo.

Syphon filter and uncharted golden abyss were pretty good. Now this can be their chance to make a name for themselves. I don't understand the notion that throwing them under the bus and showing gravity rush 2 instead would make the situation any better. Could they have added gravity rush 2 hell yea but still they left alot of games out not just gravity rush

This is why Sony should have put the damn thing in their conference. Game looks amazing and they could have spent a few extra min with it. Instead we got yet another Zombie game eating up whole bunch of time.

Begrudgingly disagree.

An E3 conference spot is as much an opportunity to push a game, as well as elevate its opportunity and awareness so that it can benefit from the halo effect of being a conference mainstay.

However, if that was going to be the case with Gravity Rush 2, then Sony America should have announced it last year at E3 instead of TGS, and have given the PS4 Remaster of the 1st game some amount of marketing push to reignite brand interest/awareness.

By announcing GR2 at TGS last year, and their terrible lack of marketing of GR: Remastered, Sony America has effectively nulled any opportunity or advantage for Gravity Rush 2 to be something that will benefit from the conference crescendo in a tangible way.

Don't get me wrong. If I was Sony, I would put GR2 there somewhere just as a fanservice to fans. But from a cold-hearted logical perspective, that is all GR2 at the press conference is. A fanservice to a niche audience.

That is not the point.

The point of something like Days Gone getting so much attention is Sony trying to launch a new IP, and giving the studio the awareness and support that it wouldn't have had it been treated like a B-tier product. It's not different from how The Order: 1886 got a lot of E3 press time. It doesn't matter if the game is interesting or not.

Gravity Rush 2 may end up being a far more interesting game, but it is not a new IP. Furthermore, it is not a "brand/franchise" that Sony America is trying to nurture.

It's not an apple-to-apple comparison between these games.

People are actually getting a a sequel to this series but apparently that isn't enough.

I wrote a massively long rant about my displeasure about GR2 being shafted marketing-wise, but I disagree with pinning Days Gone as some sort of blame-game anchor just because.

Hell, Gran Turismo Sport didn't even get a trailer at E3.

Completely agree...oh yay another Zombie game...please be excited guys!!, guys??
It should be rather obvious by now what they show is mostly based on US market potential. Days Gone has far more than Gravity Rush 2. I say this as someone who is far more interested in Gravity Rush 2 and Gravity Rush Remastered is my GotY for now. It is what it is.

They have others shows in the year dedicated to stuff like Gravity Rush 2 that can get that smaller crowd enthused.

I'm going through the remaster and it lost a lot of steam. Don't know if I'm interested in finishing it to be honest. Characters aren't particularly compelling, story has been mediocre so far, side quests weren't interesting, and having to float around collecting shit so I can upgrade my powers isn't my particularly favorite way of "leveling up"

The whole game seems to have been built around the flying and that lost its" new car smell" fairly fast. I'll read reviews on the sequel to see if I wanna get it.

OmegaFax

I think I need to play the original Gravity Rush on the PS4. Gyroscope controls on the Vita are very disorienting at times. PS4 seems like a better fit for this stuff since the gamepad is separate from the screen. I was trying to play it on Vita yesterday and when I started the game, I was sitting upright but was tilted at a 90 degree angle after going through a boss battle.

Gravity Rush 2 ... I hope it's a sleeper hit and gains traction. People citing the lack of any mention at the E3 event this year is good for word of mouth.

Yup if were being honest this shouldn't even be a thing. At the very least tho it should do better than tearaway unfolded

It's a big thing because games like Gravity Rush 2 are the ones that need the visibility. It's not a AAA game with realistic graphics that's so common and fits in so well with the other big games of today. Polygon hit on exactly why it should've been there

I was so high on Gravity Rush 2 after just 20 minutes that I wondered why Sony, seemingly, didn't feel the same way, at least where its primetime conference is concerned. Perhaps it's because it's the surprising sequel to a quirky cult hit, befit with a strange core mechanic and potentially alienating art style. It's a refinement of that first game, not a radical departure from it.

In that sense, I get why Gravity Rush 2 was relegated to an E3 B-side. But few people will be as lucky to have the experience that I did: looking to play another game entirely but stumbling upon this truly hidden gem. Most people who want to play Horizon Zero Dawn will get to do that, Gravity Rush 2 consolation prize not included. Inclusion in the biggest show of the year is one thing, but visibility — something Gravity Rush 2, for one reason or another, lacks — is how a game truly wins an audience.

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/20/11976116/gravity-rush-2-preview-e3-2016

So it's not good enough that a sequel is being made because almost certainly that sequel being made has very little to do with SIEA who've seemingly ignored the franchise since the start. We want more games in the series and it's important that one division of Sony (and unsurprisingly it's SIEA like always) isn't treating it like it doesn't deserve to be around.

All of Kat's clothing ruffles in the wind now.

GR2katbreeze.gif

That's a lovely little feature. Looks like they're really gone the extra mile in terms of attention to detail.

D.Va

Neo Member
I am so excited for this game. Picked up the remaster when it came out, and it was one of the first games I got a platinum trophy for. I had so much fun just flying around, so I can't wait to dive into this when it's released.

PaulloDEC

All of Kat's clothing ruffles in the wind now.

GR2katbreeze.gif

Lovely little details. In a game where you spend as much time watching your character tumble through the air as you do in GR, this should be a treat.

More of that stylin' HUD design.

GR2targetmarkerui.gif

I don't know if the photo mode lets you take full screen pics, if not hopefully there's a no HUD option.

Had to quote this for the new page too, I love the rainbow prism thing they're doing.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
'potentially alienating art style' from who exactly? The people who were not going to buy the game anyway?

That polygon article's conclusions really rubs me the wrong way. Mostly because i think they are right and westerners(particularly Americans) are thought of as being super xenophobic

'potentially alienating art style' from who exactly? The people who were not going to buy the game anyway?

That polygon article's conclusions really rubs me the wrong way. Mostly because i think they are right and westerners(particularly Americans) are thought of as being super xenophobic

I mean you can say that about a lot of art styles...they are always going to be based on taste, some have broader taste than others. Still, this is no generic managa art style, GR2 has a unique style which is pretty incredible. Sure it may not appeal to some, but I would never articulate it as a negative. I think it is safe to say it is one of the series real strengths.

I think I need to play the original Gravity Rush on the PS4. Gyroscope controls on the Vita are very disorienting at times. PS4 seems like a better fit for this stuff since the gamepad is separate from the screen. I was trying to play it on Vita yesterday and when I started the game, I was sitting upright but was tilted at a 90 degree angle after going through a boss battle.

Gravity Rush 2 ... I hope it's a sleeper hit and gains traction. People citing the lack of any mention at the E3 event this year is good for word of mouth.

Make sure you disable the motion controls on the Remastered version. You can do that by going to Options.

It controls much better than the first game.

It's a big thing because games like Gravity Rush 2 are the ones that need the visibility. It's not a AAA game with realistic graphics that's so common and fits in so well with the other big games of today. Polygon hit on exactly why it should've been there

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/20/11976116/gravity-rush-2-preview-e3-2016

So it's not good enough that a sequel is being made because almost certainly that sequel being made has very little to do with SIEA who've seemingly ignored the franchise since the start. We want more games in the series and it's important that one division of Sony (and unsurprisingly it's SIEA like always) isn't treating it like it doesn't deserve to be around.

Why does the writer of this article refer to Kat as a "silent protagonist"? She's the complete opposite! She's a character bursting with personality and quirks, and she's actually quite talkative.

On the subject of the game's no-show at the conference, it's well acknowledged by now that the beginning of the show was suffering from a recurring case of influence taken from The Last of Us, none more so than Days Gone, which just seemed to be checking off the list of everything that's popular in the AAA space right now and bafflingly got a double showing. Gravity Rush 2 inserted somewhere early on would've been the perfect antidote to all that familiarity, which makes its absence all the more frustrating. It's clear as day that some higher-up over at the American branch of Sony wants nothing to do with it.

Is cool to have Sony Japan to try more unique games and concepts (TLG, GR2, Puppeteer, etc...) is a great contrast to the increasing uniformity of Sony America/Europe.

GR2 particularly became one of my most wanted games after this E3.

SOR5

Is cool to have Sony Japan to try more unique games and concepts (TLG, GR2, Puppeteer, etc...) is a great contrast to the increasing uniformity of Sony America/Europe.

Puppeteer went off my radar, did the right thing and went to revisit it and was very pleased

PaulloDEC

I wonder whether Sony just wanted to avoid including a lot of (what they might perceive as) older, less exciting titles in their presser. Looking back, a huge percentage of the conference was taken up by reveals, be they gameplay reveals (like Detroit) or the regular kind (like God of War). The Last Guardian snuck in, but I feel like Sony pretty much feels obligated to show that game now.

GR2 had a lovely trailer, but it feels like we've known about the game for ages now, and it's a niche title (compared with the big hitters) to boot. I can see why the Sony bigwigs might've felt it was a less-than-essential inclusion.

That being said, I'd have kicked Last Guardian out in favour of Kat in a heartbeat.

Puppeteer went off my radar, did the right thing and went to revisit it and was very pleased

I still consider it absolutely obscene that Sony haven't remastered that game at 1080/60 for the PS4 yet.

That is a bit of an unfair statement. Sony US/Europe also fund a lot of quirky, non-uniform games like Bound, Here They Lie, What Remains of Edith Finch, etc.

I've never found the palette of the type of games WWS invest to be any issue, aside from them not having any sort of first-party flag in some genres (no fighters, FPS isn't stable for them, etc). This is a good thing, since marketing/sales are separate from the publishing/funding side of WWS.

The problem is the publishing/funding side of WWS has very very limited influence over the sales/marketing division of Sony games. So even if GR2 is funded, the marketing team will look at it and instead treat it like one of Sony's indie-games instead of trying to push it in a big way just because it's first-party. Until Dawn was a good example of this.

And because each region (America, Europe, Asia) all handles their marketing separately, this disparity is amplified as we see GR getting TV ads in Japan, and will get an anime there whereas we had to tweet and beg Sony America executives for Gravity Rush Remastered to even get a Amazon-only retail release, which they initially planned for a digital-release only.

I wonder whether Sony just wanted to avoid including a lot of (what they might perceive as) older, less exciting titles in their presser. Looking back, a huge percentage of the conference was taken up by reveals, be they gameplay reveals (like Detroit) or the regular kind (like God of War). The Last Guardian snuck in, but I feel like Sony pretty much feels obligated to show that game now.

GR2 had a lovely trailer, but it feels like we've known about the game for ages now, and it's a niche title (compared with the big hitters) to boot. I can see why the Sony bigwigs might've felt it was a less-than-essential inclusion.

That being said, I'd have kicked Last Guardian out in favour of Kat in a heartbeat.

This is a very true statement. If you all go and look back at how Sony handles the content shown at TGS vs E3 vs Gamescom, the content overlap is very minimal. Sony has always tried to make each conference as distinct from each other, and this naturally means games will miss some shows because they are to appear somewhere else. This will naturally annoy folks who wish Game X got the "E3 treatment" because E3 is seen as a more prestigious stage vs the Gamescom treatment, but that's the balancing act.

That being said, it doesn't deny the fact that Gravity Rush 2 is not a priority marketing IP for Sony America.

I still consider it absolutely obscene that Sony haven't remastered that game at 1080/60 for the PS4 yet.

You're nuts. The world needed a release date. There would've been outrage otherwise.

That is a bit of an unfair statement. Sony US/Europe also fund a lot of quirky, non-uniform games like Bound, Here They Lie, What Remains of Edith Finch, etc.

I was talking about pure first party titles. Games that Sony fund I don't really count them, in the sense they aren't games made by Sony teams. (Just like The Tomorrow Children, which I didn't mentioned for this very reason)

sora87

People are actually getting a sequel to this series but apparently that isn't enough.

It isn't, it should be getting promoted for what it is, a sony first party fall game which looks unlike anything else and shows off how diverse their output can be. They could have easily spared 2 minutes in their conference to show it off.

GR2 had a lovely trailer, but it feels like we've known about the game for ages now,

It was teased back at TGS 2013, but it was only officially announced at last years TGS.

and it's a niche title (compared with the big hitters) to boot. I can see why the Sony bigwigs might've felt it was a less-than-essential inclusion.

But this is exactly why it should've been there. GR2 isn't going to get a commercial from SIEA like Days Gone or God of War inevitably will. So E3 is really its biggest chance of getting some mainstream marketing in the US. I specifically say the US because it was obviousl announced at TGS 2015 and then at PGW, Sony's big European show, they brought Toyama out on stage to show a demo of it. So both SIEJ and SIEE both embrace the game.

That's a big problem I had with this years show. While the structure was great, I think it did a bad job of representing what Playstation is. The show was only around an hour and fifteen minutes long, so they ended it with fifteen minutes to spare. Which means trailers for games like GR2, Nioh, Nier 2, Yakuza 0 etc. could've all been shown and it would've still been under an hour and thirty minutes.

TLG is exactly the type of game that needs to be there because it shows the diversity in their lineup. The diversity in Sony's lineup is key because they're why people have stuck with it over all these years. If what Sony showed at their conference really represented what the PS brand was, then the PS4 wouldn't be where it is right now. Last years PSX was a much better representation of why people love the PS brand. Which is interesting because PSX is designed for the fans. So who the hell are they designing E3 for?

Servbot24

Banned
It isn't, it should be getting promoted for what it is, a sony first party fall game which looks unlike anything else and shows off how diverse their output can be. They could have easily spared 2 minutes in their conference to show it off.

I get you're excited for the game, but Sony's stage was for mainstream AAA games that are going to make headlines at IGN. I would have loved to see it there too, it deserves the limelight, but the reality is that Sony has to aim at a certain audience. GR2 will be on full display at TGS or PGW.

Thankfully it's not all about you.

I wish this thread didn't have to become muddled up with whining about PR of all things.

Cant believe this entire thread(like the e3 trailer one) is about a trailer not being on stage. There were so many games not on stage. It was obvious what this e3 was about.

We're getting a bigger and better Gr even tho the first bombed and even tho the second one most likely will too. The new abilities look great, the world looks more colorful, more enemies types I'm hyped.

That's a big problem I had with this years show. While the structure was great, I think it did a bad job of representing what Playstation is. The show was only around an hour and fifteen minutes long, so they ended it with fifteen minutes to spare. Which means trailers for games like GR2, Nioh, Nier 2, Yakuza 0 etc. could've all been shown and it would've still been under an hour and thirty minutes.

For better or worse, that's not the logic of how these kind of reveal events are designed around. These kind of reveal events generally have an overall framework of how much content they feel is necessary, compulsory, balanced with external and internal content and then adjusted accordingly to maximise individual conference impact.

The PSVR segment is a good example. They could had easily shown a lot of PSVR game trailers, but they only showed Farpoint, Batman, Battlefront, Bio7 & FFXV. When the show goes for less instead of more, that means that they have a tailored message they want to tell, while balancing the tight rope of what needs to be there and what doesn't.

Basically, even if they had more time, the way they made that conference, chances are GT Sport trailers, etc, were off the table even if they had 30 minutes more. The conference had its objective of being the thumpering beat of "boom boom boom" non-stop excitement with the occasional ups and downs, and it delivered on that without needing to use anymore.

Last years PSX was a much better representation of why people love the PS brand. Which is interesting because PSX is designed for the fans. So who the hell are they designing E3 for?

That's the thing. They have PSX for those kind of presentation now.

This means E3 can be utilised for other outreach, and honestly, with some exception of GR2 no-show complaints, this E3 was imo, a huge success for Sony in terms of how it's designed and how it has managed to gain a lot of interest.

Cant believe this entire thread(like the e3 trailer one) is about a trailer not being on stage. There were so many games not on stage. It was obvious what this e3 was about.

Yup. On a personal level, I am pretty bitter about it, but for me, the time to action for GR2's lack of marketing isn't now, but last year.

black070

Day one for me - and would've been happy with them including atleast the trailer in their conference.

That being said, I thought Days Gone looked great.

Jac_Solar

People are actually getting a sequel to this series but apparently that isn't enough.

I don't understand how this is related to complaining about the lack of marketing? Is it greedy, or too much to ask for Sony to support their own game? Or did you mean something else?

Game isn't marketed out of fear that it won't sell. Fewer people end up even hearing about it because it isn't marketed.

Self fulfilling prophecy.

I don't understand how this is related to complaining about the lack of marketing? Is it greedy, or too much to ask for Sony to support their own game? Or did you mean something else?
Throwing marketing at every single game won't suddenly make every game a hit. Sony has already said they produce games that they know will not make money but they are fine making them anyway given how much money the bigger titles are bringing in to make up for those smaller titles.

It would be wonderful if GR2 could be a title that could push 1 million units in the first week but it isn't happening regardless of what Sony does or doesn't do. As mentioned before, we should be happy the sequel is being made period.

Game isn't marketed out of fear that it won't sell. Fewer people end up even hearing about it because it isn't marketed.

Self fulfilling prophecy.
It wouldn't matter if more people heard about it. If it was that simple, every single game released would just get a bunch of marketing and would be hits.

Heck, look at NeoGaf. This is a more hardcore and enthused part of the gaming community and Gravity Rush doesn't draw big threads here.

Shauni

Why does the writer of this article refer to Kat as a "silent protagonist"? She's the complete opposite! She's a character bursting with personality and quirks, and she's actually quite talkative.

On the subject of the game's no-show at the conference, it's well acknowledged by now that the beginning of the show was suffering from a recurring case of influence taken from The Last of Us, none more so than Days Gone, which just seemed to be checking off the list of everything that's popular in the AAA space right now and bafflingly got a double showing. Gravity Rush 2 inserted somewhere early on would've been the perfect antidote to all that familiarity, which makes its absence all the more frustrating. It's clear as day that some higher-up over at the American branch of Sony wants nothing to do with it.

Not marketing it at an event where it will not appeal to the base audience is not the same as wanting nothing to do with it. Marketing is not some magical thing that instantly makes a game appeal to everyone.

VanWinkle

I'm SO hyped for this! I love that there are side quests with narrative structure and silly stuff to do. The world is SO detailed from the videos we've seen, so the fact it's three times bigger than the [admittedly fairly small] GR1 world is great.

Throwing marketing at every single game won't suddenly make every game a hit. Sony has already said they produce games that they know will not make money but they are fine making them anyway given how much money the bigger titles are bringing in to make up for those smaller titles.

It would be wonderful if GR2 could be a title that could push 1 million units in the first week but it isn't happening regardless of what Sony does or doesn't do. As mentioned before, we should be happy the sequel is being made period.

It wouldn't matter if more people heard about it. If it was that simple, every single game released would just get a bunch of marketing and would be hits.

Heck, look at NeoGaf. This is a more hardcore and enthused part of the gaming community and Gravity Rush doesn't draw big threads here.
Shit the remaster thread had less pages than a ps4 port of a digimon turn based game. Gravity rush is great but it's super niche and no amount og marketing will fix that. Would I love for it to sell millions hell yea,am u lucky that Sony had the balls to make a damn sequel in the first place? Hell yea lol

Not marketing it at an event where it will not appeal to the base audience is not the same as wanting nothing to do with it. Marketing is not some magical thing that instantly makes a game appeal to everyone.
That's my take. It's the same reason why they didn't show GT Sport. It wouldn't have moved the needle. But you know GT Sport will be a big player for their Gamescom/PGW event. I think Sony went into E3 PC wanting to have a focused, lean event that showed off games that would have the largest appeal to American gamers.

In the past They did a big rollout for Tearaway on PS4. That didn't do anything either. They showed off Puppeteer back in the day before it launched at E3. Nothing.

I love these games. Keep making them and releasing them and I'm there day one. But showing a 2 minute trailer of a game at E3 isn't some magic game selling vehicle.

Anyway. Love the way the game is coming together. Day one for sure with this one.

What I'm saying obviously goes beyond this year's E3 event. I've been paying close attention to Sony's marketing of GR2 ever since the game was revealed, and the American branch has always been late with uploading trailers and blog posts compared to other regions. Couple that with the treatment of the remaster over in America and how they were originally going to skimp out on a physical release before they buckled under fan pressure and I really do get the impression that Sony America (or whatever it is they're called) are content with treating the franchise like an afterthought. And that's a damn shame.

Top Bottom