• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2: Bigger Worlds, Little Details, Silly Side Quests

Game isn't marketed out of fear that it won't sell. Fewer people end up even hearing about it because it isn't marketed.

Self fulfilling prophecy.

If a game's core diehard fanbase cannot rally a game to an awareness that moves it, then a larger corporation will simply go by raw numbers and not respond accordingly.

Last year, I made a thread called Gravity Rush 2 & SCEA : What's Going On? what many consider to be a hyperbolic over-reaction to GR PS4's lack of marketing attention from SCEA and how it will very likely be reflected with GR2 as well.

The main reason I made that thread was because I wanted to rally the GR-fanbase here to showcase to the suits over at Sony America that there is a potential for GR2 to be more than what it is, and we, the core fanbase can prove it. And you know what? Everything I wrote there turned out to be exactly the way I predicted it. GR2 will get a retail release, but lol at the idea of it getting any sort of major marketing spot.

Another reason why I made that thread last year instead of waiting till 2016 was because I knew that if there was a time to shift SCEA's perception of the GR brand to something they would look more favourably and give bigger attention with GR2, it needs to be communicated and made clear to them with the Remaster, not during E3 2016 where they probably already finalised a lot of their marketing budget and plans for all their games into 2016.

Whatever was done, it wasn't enough. Whatever we did or the rest of Twitter did, it only caused them to do the bare minimum of releasing GR : Remastered on retail via Amazon.

At that point, I pretty much realised that this was the fate of the Gravity Rush franchise perception from SCEA. It will be supported and given a retail release, but it'll be treated at the same level as something like Until Dawn or Tearaway, which is it'll be released, but will have to market itself on word-of-mouth, reviews and minimal marketing.

This is why, I, who I consider to be a huge GR fan, is being somewhat a corporate apologist about this whole thing. Because just like the Yakuza fanbase... we weren't enough.

Humdinger

That interview may have sold me on the game. Two things: 1) the lighthearted tone, and 2) accessibility.

Re. the lighthearted tone, I dislike all the super-serious, dark, grim stuff we get in videogames. A little of that is okay, but in their effort to be "mature," everyone is going in the same direction. There's very little diversity in tone. It's great to see a game that is simply lighthearted and fun, even a little silly. This is one thing the Japanese have preserved a lot better than we have in the West.

Re. accessibility, one of my concerns, as a Westerner who's never played a Gravity Rush game, was that it would be too quirky and too hard to wrap my head around. I'm glad he mentioned that it's accessible.

VanWinkle

The fact is, they should have showed it at E3. It needed attention brought to it. Probably 5% at most of the E3-watching audience had heard of the series. This would have been perfect.

Basically, even if they had more time, the way they made that conference, chances are GT Sport trailers, etc, were off the table even if they had 30 minutes more. The conference had its objective of being the thumpering beat of "boom boom boom" non-stop excitement with the occasional ups and downs, and it delivered on that without needing to use anymore.

I just don't see how featuring the games that I mentioned would've interrupted the flow. It's not as if every game Sony showed there was some new announcement. I mean, they had room to show a near three minute trailer for the billionth Lego game.

That's the thing. They have PSX for those kind of presentation now.

This means E3 can be utilised for other outreach, and honestly, with some exception of GR2 no-show complaints, this E3 was imo, a huge success for Sony in terms of how it's designed and how it has managed to gain a lot of interest.

I think overall it was obviously a good conference. All i'm saying is that I don't think it represented the brand as much as it could've. The PS4's lineup is gigantic and has a ridiculous amount of variety. Sony should be proud of that and show it off at every chance that they get.

Not marketing it at an event where it will not appeal to the base audience is not the same as wanting nothing to do with it. Marketing is not some magical thing that instantly makes a game appeal to everyone.

So who exactly is E3 for? Because i'd say it's not the Playstation fan that's been around since the PSone if games like GT Sport, Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Nier 2 etc. don't have a place there.

This can't be a serious statement.

I'm going to replace the actual reason with my own narrative if no one wants to say it.

What page are we on here?

And bound was shown after e3 too.

And marketing goes beyond E3.

Are you wary of answering a question with such an obvious answer? In that case, I'm just going to say that Watch_Dogs 2 is getting marketed better than GR2, and that WD1 and GR1 were both mediocre in a lot of ways, and WD didn't sell well because it was a great game, or had great characters, or had a cool story.

You believe gritty realistic aesthetic is what sells games, even among core audiences? Do we have any examples of that not being the case in recent times?

Farpoint (which is what I was thinking of, not bound), Star Wars, Batman and FFXV get shown because they're VR experiences. God of War, Days Gone, The Last Guardian, Horizon Zero Dawn are their AAA stuff. That makes sense. However, the only reason Days Gone should'be been shown twice is because a last minute change — that was a long demo and they need to showcase as much diversity as possible.

If a game's core diehard fanbase cannot rally a game to an awareness that moves it, then a larger corporation will simply go by raw numbers and not respond accordingly.

Last year, I made a thread called Gravity Rush 2 & SCEA : What's Going On? what many consider to be a hyperbolic over-reaction to GR PS4's lack of marketing attention from SCEA and how it will very likely be reflected with GR2 as well.

The main reason I made that thread was because I wanted to rally the GR-fanbase here to showcase to the suits over at Sony America that there is a potential for GR2 to be more than what it is, and we, the core fanbase can prove it. And you know what? Everything I wrote there turned out to be exactly the way I predicted it. GR2 will get a retail release, but lol at the idea of it getting any sort of major marketing spot.

The reason why I made that thread last year was because I knew that if there was a time to shift SCEA's perception of the GR brand to something they would look more favourably and give bigger attention with GR2, it needs to be communicated and made clear to them with the Remaster, not during E3 2016 where they probably already finalised a lot of their marketing budget and plans for all their games into 2016.

Whatever was done, it wasn't enough. Whatever we did or the rest of Twitter did, it only caused them to do the bare minimum of releasing GR : Remastered on retail via Amazon.

At that point, I pretty much realised that this was the fate of the Gravity Rush franchise perception from SCEA. It will be supported and given a retail release, but it'll be treated at the same level as something like Until Dawn or Tearaway, which is it'll be released, but will have to market itself on word-of-mouth, reviews and minimal marketing.

This is why, I, who I consider to be a huge GR fan, is being somewhat a corporate apologist about this whole thing. Because just like the Yakuza fanbase... we weren't enough.

Saying they don't realize the benefit of showing off their games and putting effort into marketing their diverse lineup isn't corporate apology. That is still SCEA just shunning it for no good reason.

Shauni

So who exactly is E3 for? Because i'd say it's not the Playstation fan that's been around since the PSone if games like GT Sport, Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Nier 2 etc. don't have a place there.

I said this in a previous post already. E3 has become focused almost primarily at Western audiences. GT Sport is fair, and Ni-oh might be able to tap into the Souls market which has a lot of bled over, but Gravity Rush 2 and Nier 2 are very much games that will be niche in the west.

firelogic

Yeah E3 is for fans but then again, fans are already plugged into the PS ecosystem and already know about GT, Gravity Rush, Nioh, Nier, etc...Gravity Rush is going to be prominent at TGS along with Persona 5 et al.

I said this in a previous post already. E3 has become focused almost primarily at Western audiences. GT Sport is borderline, and Ni-oh might be able to tap into the Souls market which has a lot of bled over, but Gravity Rush 2 and Nier 2 are very much games that will be niche in the west.

Why do you think they'd be niche?

Yeah E3 is for fans but then again, fans are already plugged into the PS ecosystem and already know about GT, Gravity Rush, Nioh, Nier, etc...Gravity Rush is going to be prominent at TGS along with Persona 5 et al.

It's not just that these aren't getting shown at E3 or other conferences. SCEE and SCEJA mention the existence of GR2 while SCEA ignores it, and other games. It doesn't hurt to make spread awareness of these games — if they can't be mentioned at E3, they can be posted and talked about by SCEA, at least.

High Rise

Neo Member
Saw some developer walk through/interview during e3, they said its pretty much finished, definately coming this year and more news will be released 'in a few weeks'.

Hoping for an early September release, it's the only time I'll have nothing to play!

Shauni

Why do you think they'd be niche?

Heavily anime inspired art styles and aesthetics, coupled with stories that are against the general grain to Western tastes, sequels to games that were already very niche, and both play in ways that aren't particularly popular in the West.

It's pretty obvious, honestly, why both of those games will be niche in the West. I can't really tell at this point if your posts are genuine or daft.

Well I'm done here. We aren't even interested in talking about the actual game so why the hell would Sony be. This entire thread instead of talking about the added game mechanics, talking about the interview has been about marketing something none of you seem to have a clear grasp on. So whatever can't wait for gravity rush 2.

Also holy shit at trying to downplay other games because a game wasn't at a conference. Some fanbase.

Jac_Solar

Throwing marketing at every single game won't suddenly make every game a hit. Sony has already said they produce games that they know will not make money but they are fine making them anyway given how much money the bigger titles are bringing in to make up for those smaller titles.

It would be wonderful if GR2 could be a title that could push 1 million units in the first week but it isn't happening regardless of what Sony does or doesn't do. As mentioned before, we should be happy the sequel is being made period.

If anything, complaining about lack of marketing shows that they ARE indeed very happy with the game, but want other people to know about the game as well.

Well I'm done here. We aren't even interested in talking about the actual game so why the hell would Sony be. This entire thread instead of talking about the added game mechanics, talking about the interview has been about marketing something none of you seem to have a clear grasp on. So whatever can't wait for gravity rush 2.

Also holy shit at trying to downplay other games because a game wasn't at a conference. Some fanbase.

Sorry.

Heavily anime inspired art styles and aesthetics, coupled with stories that are against the general grain to Western tastes, sequels to games that were already very niche, and both play in ways that aren't particularly popular in the West.

It's pretty obvious, honestly, why both of those games will be niche in the West. I can't really tell at this point if your posts are genuine or daft.

Bear with me, friend

What about those aspects preclude them from being mentioned on PS blogs? What is lost by mentioning those games there?

Still remember this happening with Until Dawn too. It wasn't marketed decently either — what about its aesthetics don't appeal to a Western market? That game even had the branching paths something like Detroit has, as well as the Twitch-friendly horror aspects.

It's one thing to not have these games on the show floor at E3 — limited time, potential last minute changes, etc. We've seen them poorly handle showing off their products before though, and it's likely happening all over again. Why does SCEE do a better job spreading awareness of sony's titles? What do they see in GR2 that SCEA doesn't? Are we really going to reinforce the notion that American audiences reject anime aesthetic while Europe welcomes it?

You're the only one stopping yourself from discussing it, brah. You're free to keep posting about the game itself tho

I can only gush over the clothes animations for so long.

If anything, complaining about lack of marketing shows that they ARE indeed very happy with the game, but want other people to know about the game as well.

Yeah, after seeing this done with a few other Sony titles in the past (some that weren't even anime-influenced either, believe it or not), it's just a shame to see it happen again.

Why are u saying sorry not even you and your the one that made that other thread about it so id expect you to do it but your not.

Because as much as I didn't want to, I got involved in the conversation, and it's contributed to this thread being dominated with this discussion.

So I at least want to apologise for my part of this. Hopefully once more GR2 news come out later in the coming months everyone will have simmered down from the conference no-show to actually discuss the game more.

Why does SCEE do a better job spreading awareness of sony's titles? What do they see in GR2 that SCEA doesn't? Are we really going to reinforce the notion that American audiences reject anime aesthetic while Europe welcomes it?

Different marketing team. Note that I didn't say different audiences.

I said this in a previous post already. E3 has become focused almost primarily at Western audiences. GT Sport is fair, and Ni-oh might be able to tap into the Souls market which has a lot of bled over, but Gravity Rush 2 and Nier 2 are very much games that will be niche in the west.

Perhaps they're niche because of a lack of marketing? There's an assumption that they can't sell well because of how they look, but games like Ni no Kuni and Fire Emblem seem to do rather well even though they're also anime-inspired. What they both have in common is that they were given a chance by being marketed. It's certainly possible that GR just isn't the type of game that ever could sell well. But I don't think it's fair to say without it being given a chance. It's like when people say that games with female or minority leads don't sell when they're rarely given the chance to by having some marketing put behind them.

But they should be trying to show it to those that aren't nearly as plugged in. Like I mentioned earlier, games like Days Gone, Horizon, God of War etc. are all going to receive TV marketing campaigns once they're released in the US. It's highly unlikely that GR2 will. This was a chance for Sony to market it without even having to pay for ad space. This was their own show so they could show what they wanted to.

I'll also throw in that Sony Bend mentioned how thankful they were that Sony allowed them to demo Days Gone during E3 because it showed them that Sony had confidence in the product. Now consider what it must make devs feel like when Sony won't show their game at all during the conference.

Because as much as I didn't want to, I got involved in the conversation, and it's contributed to this thread being dominated with this discussion.

So I at least want to apologise for my part of this. Hopefully once more GR2 news come out later in the coming months everyone will have simmered down from the conference no-show to actually discuss the game more.

But this game has no widespread appeal because of its cartoon/anime aesthetic — this sub-discussion is the only thing keeping the thread on the front page.

Different marketing team. Note that I didn't say different audiences.

Yeah, I get that. That's the problem — the SCEA marketing team is skipping over the game when they have opportunity to mention it, and that has a ripple effect on awareness of the game (or lack thereof).

All of the rest of your post is well and good, but I'm only really referencing E3, and why it wasn't included in the conference.

And this issue was never solely about which games were shown at E3. It's always been about marketing in general.

Nah man apologize not accepted lol your fine. I get it this just wasn't the thread for it. We should be trying to get more people into the game if some random poster strolls in here instead of game talk they see marketing talk lol that's not good.

That said what do you think about the changes from the first. I remember when it was first announced people wee upset about the color change. I for one love the brighter more colorful aesthetics. I also think they're keeping a third gravity form hidden

That said what do you think about the changes from the first. I remember when it was first announced people wee upset about the color change. I for one love the brighter more colorful aesthetics. I also think they're keeping a third gravity form hidden

Love it. Honestly I don't think he old colour aesthetics was done as well as it could've been. Sometimes it felt too sharp, like it could hurt the eyes. This one feels more appropriate to the game style that this has.

Don't think there's a 3rd-form though. The marketing from the get-go showed both forms, and if they were hiding another form, I expect it would had been marketed like inFamous did, where the powers were revealed one-by-one.

Don't think there's a 3rd-form though. The marketing from the get-go showed both forms, and if they were hiding another form, I expect it would had been marketed like inFamous did, where the powers were revealed one-by-one.

Second Son didn't show off the
video
power or the
concrete
one before release, iirc.

Not that there's any inkling as to what a third form would be. It's centered on gravity powers, and she not has light and heavy modes. Not sure what else where would be.

Love it. Honestly I don't think he old colour aesthetics was done as well as it could've been. Sometimes it felt too sharp, like it could hurt the eyes. This one feels more appropriate to the game style that this has.

Hmm so you thinking they showed off all the new powers? Or are they holding some in their back pocket.

Second Son didn't show off the
video
power or the
concrete
one before release, iirc.

It didn't. I meant that if they wanted to tease that Kat had more powers, they would had done what inFamous did and showed where inFamous revealed the Neon power with its own trailer.

Hmm so you thinking they showed off all the new powers? Or are they holding some in their back pocket.

If they want to keep more gameplay aspects secret, then it's a good thing they're not marketing the game that much.

A blessing in disguse

It didn't. I meant that if they wanted to tease that Kat had more powers, they would had done what inFamous did and showed where inFamous revealed the Neon power with its own trailer.

Perhaps, but that game starred a character that had access to multiple distinctly different (thematically, not functionally) powers. This game is just about gravity manipulation.

There'll be more special attacks like the black hole spin for each mode, I'd imagine.

#teamRaven

Yunica! Speaking of which, they still haven't shown her even though we know she's back. I'm still waiting for her avatar set on US PSN

20160209-gravitydaze-13q65.jpg

Shauni

Perhaps they're niche because of a lack of marketing? There's an assumption that they can't sell well because of how they look, but games like Ni no Kuni and Fire Emblem seem to do rather well even though they're also anime-inspired. What they both have in common is that they were given a chance by being marketed. It's certainly possible that GR just isn't the type of game that ever could sell well. But I don't think it's fair to say without it being given a chance. It's like when people say that games with female or minority leads don't sell when they're rarely given the chance to by having some marketing put behind them.

No, they're niche because of the types of games they are. Fire Emblem is an interesting case, because it was a series that was bolstered from exposure from a massively popular crossover series, and Nintendo built it from there. It's much more an exception, though, than a rule when you look at other long-running Japanese-centric series that have never reached those levels.

And this issue was never solely about which games were shown at E3. It's always been about marketing in general.

The issue I was referencing was about the absence of the game at the E3 conference, that many were reeling against. True, I did say marketing wasn't a magic bullet to a game's success, but in context, I was mainly talking about that.

Vex_

Banned

Do casual gamers (the majority) even care about E3? Do they even watch it?

Can someone go and grab a casual gamer and confirm this really fast?

Do casual gamers (the majority) even care about E3? Do they even watch it?

Can someone go and grab a casual gamer and confirm this really fast?

Look at how much E3 2013 has influenced the way this gen has panned out so far. I wouldn't completely write off its influence among casuals.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"Durr anime/japanese art style, so alienating to western tastes whereas every other art style is acceptable!"

I don't get suits viewpoints, nor some people in this thread's assurance that western audiences are just that culturally ignorant or racist/xenophobic. They eat up generally every other type of game out there including Persona, which gets a warm reception.

I just think the preconceived notion itself is ignorant about people, to not even bother to show one of your franchises.

SCEE does fine, but America is apparently too ignorant to even look twice? Saying marketing would not get atleast a marginal sales increase is mistaken i think

Can't wait to play this, loved the first. Though I wish it came out in August as I feel it's the perfect end of summer game.

Hopefully eurobros pick up the ww slack for sales.

Shin-Ra

GR2jupiterthrow.gif

In Jupiter style Gravity Throw builds a large projectile that presumably does more damage than five normal pieces of debris, with the tradeoffs being the time to build and no damage if you miss.

pixelbox

"Durr anime/japanese art style, so alienating to western tastes whereas every other art style is acceptable!"

I don't get suits viewpoints, nor some people in this thread's assurance that western audiences are just that culturally ignorant or racist/xenophobic. They eat up generally every other type of game out there including Persona, which gets a warm reception.

I just think the preconceived notion itself is ignorant about people, to not even bother to show one of your franchises.

SCEE does fine, but America is apparently too ignorant to even look twice? Saying marketing would not get atleast a marginal sales increase is mistaken i think

Man, look up. This world is very prejudice. It Stings but I don't think I would have benefited the game much as 1. It would've disrupted the flow of the conference. 2. The times of Americans being enamored with Japanese culture is over.

GR2jupiterthrow.gif

In Jupiter style Gravity Throw builds a large projectile that presumably does more damage than five normal pieces of debris, with the tradeoffs being the time to build and no damage if you miss.

I was wondering how that move was initiated. Hopefully it's powerful enough to be balanced against the other special attacks, unlike that rock-shooter one in the previous game.

Man, look up. This world is very prejudice. It Stings but I don't think I would have benefited the game much as 1. It would've disrupted the flow of the conference. 2. The times of Americans being enamored with Japanese culture is over.

What elements of Japanese culture are present in that Gravity Rush 2 trailer?

pixelbox

I was wondering how that move was initiated. Hopefully it's powerful enough to be balanced against the other special attacks, unlike that rock-shooter one in the previous game.

What elements of Japanese culture are present in that Gravity Rush 2 trailer?

Are you kidding? It looks like Sailor Moon. The game reeks of Japanese Culture...And love it for that.

prwxv3

These games are viable because the budgets are low (compared to most other AAA games). Marketing is expensive and can bloat a budget rather quikly if you are not careful. GR2 should get add banners on game sites but nothing more. No amount of marketing can make it not niche unfortunately. Its a hard pill to swallow I know. I would rather Sony drop marketing cash yo games that can make bank so games like GR2 can be made in the first place.

prwxv3

Anyways these kinds of games will be shown at psx anyway. Though I remember quite a few people shitting on psx last year even though the content was so good.

Don't know if this has been answered but, do I need to play the first to play the second one?

I think like the first game, gr2 will have multiple subplot, I can see the main subplot be stand alone and people can follow it well enough, but then there's the lore backstory about Kat's identity and I think that one will be confusing for people whi hadn't played the first game, I don't think people who played the first game even know Kat backstory for sure, it's told in fragmented pieces, riddles and dreams that I think I understand, but I could be wrong.

I fully intent to replay it again before gr2 is out.

These games are viable because the budgets are low (compared to most other AAA games). Marketing is expensive and can bloat a budget rather quikly if you are not careful. GR2 should get add banners on game sites but nothing more. No amount of marketing can make it not niche unfortunately. Its a hard pill to swallow I know. I would rather Sony drop marketing cash yo games that can make bank so games like GR2 can be made in the first place.
Yep.

Inuhanyou

Are you kidding? It looks like Sailor Moon. The game reeks of Japanese Culture...And love it for that.

"Japanese culture" means you can't show Japanese games off because Americans are apparently done with liking 'Japanese culture'.

Well, maybe they need a little crash course in re appreciating the best Japanese gaming has to offer, which would start by showing off this game to a wider audience.

"Japanese culture" means you can't show Japanese games off because Americans are apparently done with liking 'Japanese culture'.

Well, maybe they need a little crash course in re appreciating the best Japanese gaming has to offer, which would start by showing off this game to a wider audience.
That wouldn't suddenly change their interests.

I felt that we've been getting more and more japanese stuff lately, Pacific Rim, Godzilla, Big Hero Six. I think western market like japanese stuff. They just don't like anime style.

Inuhanyou

I felt that we've been getting more and more japanese stuff lately, Pacific Rim, Godzilla, Big Hero Six. I think western market like japanese stuff. They just don't like anime style.

That wouldn't suddenly change their interests.

According to who exactly? Where exactly did this sentiment come from outside of small mind share in general?

I don't really get what either of you guys are saying. So anime style specifically for some reason is a non starter for reasons that can't be explained?

Top Bottom