• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grimes - Art Angels |OT| Out now! Welcome to REALiTi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Partition

Banned
Grimes' Artpop

lmao. You wish Gaga stan

Listening for the first time:

laughing and not being normal - yes, nice intro
California - fuck yes, love the upbeat vibe on this one
Scream - still good
Flesh Without Blood - still great
Belly of the Beat - nice, strong song
Kill V. Maim - holy shit, yes, yes, fuck yes, that chorus
Artangels - it's nice, filler maybe (?)
Easily - super filler, strange that it's even included
Pin - it's alright, a little too "cheesy anime credits song-esque" though, filler (?)
Realiti - still good, the changes don't bother me much, still got a good vibe to it
World Princess part II - it's alright, perhaps another filler (?)
Venus Fly - yes love the Janelle feature, definitely a highlight
Life in the Vivid Dream - should have kept going, strange why it's not even 1 1/2 minutes
Butterfly - it's alright, was expecting more...

I am kind of surprised by the amount of filler tracks. The album largely drops off after Kill V. Maim, which was totally unexpected. Strange.

Highlights: California, Scream, Flesh Without Blood, Belly of the Beat, Kill V. Maim, Realiti, Venus Fly

Trinity: California, Kill V. Maim, Flesh Without Blood

Would probably give it a 7 out of 10. I was expecting a little better, I'm kind of disappointed honestly. When she goes there it's perfect, when she doesn't it's boring. Definitely a step down from Visions. Still, at least I got a few really strong songs to play out like crazy for the next few weeks.

It's so strange you praised California and called two of the best songs filler. To each their own I guess. The varying opinions I see on every track is just a testament to the greatness of this record and how you know it will only grow even more on people over time.

hydruxo

Never really listened to Grimes much before but I like this album alot. I left it on shuffle on spotify while doing some work around the house and I was jammin out to it. Awesome album.

Sai-kun

Banned
I don't remember the vocals being so squeaky and poppy on the last album.

??? I'm not sure why anyone had any sort of expectations for what this album would be like. History has shown us she shifts pretty radically from sound to sound.

ngower

I'm sure this connection has been made before, but Grimes is basically the Girl Inkling, right? This album feels like a companion to Splatoon in some parts...

Other relevant keywords: 90s, otaku, gay fans, twee...

All of these are compliments.

Revolver

Kill V. Maim, Artangels and Realiti are my go-to tracks atm. I don't mind the changes to Realiti too much and prefer the longer time, that song is just great.

rexor0717

Only a few songs in, its certainly a much different album than her last. I think I'll find some tracks I like. I like this version of Realiti, I think it'll grow on me too. This California song tho,
sick.gif

I'm sure this connection has been made before, but Grimes is basically the Girl Inkling, right? This album feels like a companion to Splatoon in some parts...

Other relevant keywords: 90s, otaku, gay fans, twee...

All of these are compliments.

Oh my god.... Oh my god!!!

I'm going to play Splatoon while jamming to Art Angels this weekend. <3

Steamlord

Eh... It's definitely a competent slightly-weird pop album, there are some pretty fun tracks on it (and some total duds), but I miss old pre-Visions Grimes. If this were by an artist I'd never heard of, I'd probably dig it more but it's difficult to separate it from her past work. On first listen Kill V. Maim is probably my favorite track. Honestly, for what it is, I might prefer it to Visions. I mean, I've never been too big on Visions. I'll have to spin it a few more times and see.

Then I'll go listen to Halfaxa again.

RMI

Banned
I don't remember the vocals being so squeaky and poppy on the last album.

I listened to Visions just today after listening to the new album all day, and it was pretty squeaky,but yeah not as poppy.

I enjoyed listening to Visions again, but I am really happy with the direction of the new album. Songs that I wasn't crazy about are starting to grow on me with repeat listening.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Flesh Without Blood has been on repeat for nearly 24 hours. Song is fucking incredible. I've only listened to the album once because I just want to listen to Flesh Without Blood over and over. Halp.

Monocle

Nope. She used to be just another bedroom artist afraid to step out from a generic reverb-fest. Now she actually dares to have an identity.
You might be slightly overstating things. Her earlier stuff is great. The new album is a welcome evolution of her sound.

Grimes' Artpop ain't too bad but most of the album is kind of middling, this doesn't even register in the top 5 releases of the year imo

The 3.5 standout tracks I use:

California
Realiti
Butterfly

About 50% of Venus Fly

Her "style" isn't as unique sounding as people make it out to be

ON7FJnO.gif
Art Angels? Artpop?? Art fucking Pop??

i'm so disgusted goodbye Gaga WISHES the shit stain that was ARTPOP was half as good as Art Angels

corn_fest

This is her best album imo. Feels like she's finally putting out something that just totally reflects her own identity, regardless of how fans of her early work feel about it.

Anung

Un Rama
Finally got around to listening to this today. I like it but I don't love it. I do really love the tone though. No individual songs have really jumped out at me but the flow between songs is nice. I'll need to give it a few more listens I think.

I don't think the poppier tone is a bad thing either. I'm glad were not just getting Visions 2.0. She's exploring her sound and that isn't a negative thing.

3phemeral

Listening to it again, Kill v.Maim and Venus Fly are standouts. On other tracks, I like the modern-day take on vaguely 80s/90s sound but her voice is an acquired taste, for sure. Realiti has take grown on me and Butterfly had potential but it fizzles out at the chorus.

Realiti is nice, can't say anything else stands out for me though, maybe some of the aggressive parts of Kill V. Maim. The whole synth-pop+female vocals thing has become such an oversaturated genre/sound that I was expecting Grimes do put in a little more unique flavor.

Servbot24

Banned
Realiti is nice, can't say anything else stands out for me though, maybe some of the aggressive parts of Kill V. Maim. The whole synth-pop+female vocals thing has become such an oversaturated genre/sound that I was expecting Grimes do put in a little more unique flavor.

Hmm, to me that's exactly what this is. Before she was very much a generic artist, but this actually sounds like her coming out of her shell and going for something really unique.

Hmm, to me that's exactly what this is. Before she was very much a generic artist, but this actually sounds like her coming out of her shell and going for something really unique.

It seems opinions are mostly split right down the middle on whether this is progress or joining the rat race. It's certainly an interesting album in that regard.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'm loving this album

I don't get the backlash at all. Sure it's more poppy than her previous stuff but I don't consider that a bad thing at all!

Partition

Banned
CoS: A-

Grimes’ fourth album, Art Angels, is simultaneously her most accessible and her least personal body of work. You could trace lines into Boucher’s own narratives in the ragged edges of her first three LPs; you could find the details of her hurt and fold them into your own hurt. But Art Angels is pure Grimes — performative, maximalist, joyful, and broad.

Necrovex

Alright, listening to the album for most of the day today and I have say this is probably my favorite Grimes album. The vibe and flow of the album is giving me life. Hyped for her live show the day before Thanksgiving.

Saw this late, but this fills me with hype to eventually listen to the new album.

udiie

finally finished listening to the album
its definitely a different direction, but i mostly like it.
scream is probably the only song i wouldnt have on repeat
venus fly, california, kill v maim are excellent

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Big changes in direction remind me of when Goldfrapp went from doing eerie, Badalamenti-esque ballads to big grinding electropop on Black Cherry. Still one of the most awesome pop albums I've ever heard, but it definitely wasn't catering to anything, it really had a similarly strange vibe to it like her first album.

This new album definitely isn't uninteresting at all, still has the weird nooks and crannies that I liked on her older stuff, but Visions definitely has more of what I look for in my electropop than this does. I do hope this brings her a lot of new fans though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I remember people were mentioning that it sounded like Chvrches, I'm very glad to find that it's way way more interesting than anything by them. But yeah, I guess she's closer to a Chvrches sound this time than she has been. If they sounded like this I'd definitely care about em, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom