• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT7 Developer Polyphony Goes on Hiring Spree

benzy

Ok. It's not *literally* the furthest thing. Still damn far from being official, which is obviously my point.

Sony coming out and announcing and confirming the release date wouldn't make it any more official, as Kaz can delay the game if he wants. It's the same case here.

Yiazmat

Now that things have calmed down a bit, this kinda reads like they may be outsourcing

Which would be huge since they've never done that before.

I think that if they're ever outsourcing anything it would probably be some placeholder models for the standards, so they can keep them until their own modellers have time to do a full premium version from scratch.

And that would be the best solution imo. Outsource RUF quality models for all the 700 standards, put a Driveclub style dashcam as their default interior view (so only the top of the dashboard would need to be modelled) and call it a day.

down 2 orth

They could have a new Forza out every 6 months and it probably wouldn't change the fact that it feels like I'm playing a shitty car commercial every time I start it up. I mean I get that product placement and marketing agreements are a thing, but Forza has a severe lack of subtlety and grace when it comes to that, and GT seems to mix it all well with a sincere passion that the developers have for cars.

Forza: Here's a generic suburban family car. We're pretty darn sure that you loved driving it! HERE, have some brand loyalty XP points! No need to thank us, in fact have some more! You certainly love X brand don't you?! Your X brand loyalty is now at level 4.

W.S.

At least at some point in time Turn 10 had at least around 3x the staff of Polyphony, so... yeah.
It is my belief that Forza has been a major loss leader for Xbox (particularly given the assumed relatively poor sales, which seem to be the case for most sims aside from GT outside Europe), and actually only exists as an answer to GT.
I don't buy the loss leader thing, if it had such poor sales they probably wouldn't keep making them.

As for it being the answer to GT, that's long since been the case but Turn 10's been able to crank out 2 games already to GT's none so far so it's 2-0. Granted the GT series tends to be bigger in scope but I think we should have seen something by now so I hope that by adding more staff they can get GT7 out by 2016-2017.

theWB27

They could have a new Forza out every 6 months and it probably wouldn't change the fact that it feels like I'm playing a shitty car commercial every time I start it up. I mean I get that product placement and marketing agreements are a thing, but Forza has a severe lack of subtlety and grace when it comes to that, and GT seems to mix it all well with a sincere passion that the developers have for cars.

Forza: Here's a generic suburban family car. We're pretty darn sure that you loved driving it! HERE, have some brand loyalty XP points! No need to thank us, in fact have some more! You certainly love X brand don't you?! Your X brand loyalty is now at level 4.

Jim Carrey would like to know who you're talking to and what about.

bombshell

I don't buy the loss leader thing, if it had such poor sales they probably wouldn't keep making them.

As for it being the answer to GT, that's long since been the case but Turn 10's been able to crank out 2 games already to GT's none so far so it's 2-0. Granted the GT series tends to be bigger in scope but I think we should have seen something by now so I hope that by adding more staff they can get GT7 out by 2016-2017.

Can you list these 2 games that Turn 10 has cranked out since the last GT?

sublimit

Banned
- Polyphony wants to improve the situational awareness of AI drivers, and their reactions to the ever-changing conditions of the tracks, giving there a more human-like behavior.

As great as that sounds i'm not going to get excited just yet. I've yet to play a racer game that had a decently competitive AI.
But it's good to know they are at least trying.

I'm assuming you mean 2 Forza main-line games (including yet to be released Forza 6) on X1 compared to 0 GT games on PS4?

Because technically, the last mainline GT was released after the last mainline Forza.

W.S.

I haven't played Forza 5 but that certainly wasn't the case for Forza 4 which was the best iteration of the series. It had an expansive career mode, altavista mode (although limited to certain cars), Top Gear, and lots of cars and tracks.

The Rewards/Tiers are just bonus stuff that rewards your play so it's strange that anyone would consider that bad.

Hoje0308

Banned

You don't know what you're talking about.

W.S.

Can you list these 2 games that Turn 10 has cranked out since the last GT?

I'm assuming you mean 2 Forza main-line games (including yet to be released Forza 6) on X1 compared to 0 GT games on PS4?

Because technically, the last mainline GT was released after the last mainline Forza.

I'm referring to current gen platforms only so Forza 5 and 6 coming up compared to no GT on PS4 for the forseeable future unless they announce it within the next year.

I understand that they released GT6 on PS3 but I don't know if that was such a good idea.

Hoje0308

Banned
I'm referring to current gen platforms only so Forza 5 and 6 coming up compared to no GT on PS4.

I understand that they released GT6 on PS3 but I don't know if that was such a good idea.

Your opinion on the matter is irrelevant. Nice try though.

Mr E.

Maybe. I sure do get a brand Nissan vibe from GT though.

down 2 orth

I haven't played Forza 5 but that certainly wasn't the case for Forza 4 which was the best iteration of the series. It had an expansive career mode, altavista mode (although limited to certain cars), Top Gear, and lots of cars and tracks.

The Rewards/Tiers are just bonus stuff that rewards your play so it's strange that anyone would consider that bad.

Forza 4 is actually what comes to mind when I say that. It was just a passionless corporate train wreck that only decades of watching American cable television could lubricate for entry.

nib95

Banned
Honestly, Polyphony could learn or borrow a lot from Evolution and specifically Driveclub. For example, with the visual representation of speed and thrill through the visualisation of suspension feedback, bumps, camera shake, camera pull, motion blur and so on. The actual audio reproduction, which I feel DC does among the best of any racer out there. Among other things like aggressiveness of AI, weather implementation (physics based rain particles that are affected by wind, angle, velocity etc), even something as small as mimicking the Dash Cam view.

I'm glad they're hiring for the areas they are, but they needn't look so far.

W.S.

Forza 4 is actually what comes to mind when I say that. It was just a passionless corporate train wreck that only decades of watching American cable television could lubricate for entry.

So you're mainly just referring to the presentation? I didn't have any issues with it gameplay wise.

GHG

I don't understand why people are talking about Forza?

Anyway... Another thing I found in one of the listings that could be quite interesting:

Post effects, various effects the development of such a particle system

This may not be possible, but would it ever be possible for Polyphony have 2 teams there? One team on GT and another team on something else?

*Pure conjecture*

I imagine that the original plan was to have Driveclub be the "Horizon fighter" and spell GT every year/two years.

That was of course before DC's delay and then launch and then Sony downsizing Evo

down 2 orth

So you're mainly just referring to the presentation? I didn't have any issues with it gameplay wise.

I think so, yes. The presentation and gameplay of the GT series made me fall in love with cars as an adult in pretty much the same way that I loved them as a kid. Going from that to Forza was disappointing to me.

As for the gameplay in Forza, it was decent in my opinion but it never really grabbed me. I'm not sure if it was because of my distaste with the presentation, or if it was lacking something else,

- Polyphony wants to improve the situational awareness of AI drivers, and their reactions to the ever-changing conditions of the tracks, giving there a more human-like behaviour.

Sony need to give Crammond a suitcase full of money - his GP4 AI is still better than anything released after it, he would elevate GT's AI to GOAT status.

Arise Sir Geoff.

nib95

Banned
They have a LOT to live up to.

I can see the next game sinking the series even further without the proper care.

Yeap. This is the release that could decide if it's still one of Sony's most prominent IP's, or just another fairly decent seller. Going from 10+ million sales to 2+ million in the same generation has got to hurt. They need to make strides to reclaim that market and mind share.

Nesther

Yeap. This is the release that could decide if it's still one of Sony's most prominent IP's, or just another fairly decent seller. Going from 10+ million sales to 2+ million in the same generation has got to hurt. They need to make strides to reclaim that market and mind share.

People still quoting the BS thread with the Chartz numbers?

Anyway, the timing of GT6's release completely justifies its lower sales.

nib95

Banned
People still quoting the BS thread with the Chartz numbers?

Anyway, the timing of GT6's release completely justifies its lower sales.

I wasn't going by Chartz numbers, but the Polyphony 2.5 million downloads image, as well as the 2.37m figure from the info they provided in that legal case.

injurai

Banned
More than anything I want them to implement a more enjoyable career mode. I hate just buying a car to run it in some "themed" race. I'd love a more well crafted career mode that carries you through a sequence of races that are all centered a similar theme. I feel GT2 was really good in this regard, but the series has kind of gotten away from that.

A bit disingenuous OP without crediting the source, even if it's banned (as it looks like you've done all that), so I'd advise a note or edit.

Regarding the topic, I do still think it's on track for a 2017 release although I wouldn't be surprised if the release date slips to an early 2018 release.

RibMan

It sounds like Polyphony are improving their outsourcing operations. Excellent news!

You absolutely don't have to buy it, but the reality is Forza has never pulled in admirable numbers (and never will, unless Turn10 do something out-of-this-world with it). Much like Killzone, Forza was created to counter a major franchise by offering a comparable experience that consumers can look at and say "It's like *insert game here*". If Forza was pulling in comparable numbers to Gran Turismo then I guarantee you there would be a whole lot more Gran Turismo games.

It's important to understand that Microsoft don't look at Forza as a property that will rake in the big bucks. It exists to sell Xboxes (specifically, in Europe) and that's all it has to do -- move a couple of bundles. Not to get 'preachy', but being able to understand market-specific needs (and wants) is really important when looking at why these guys will make or cancel a product. Kinect Sports is another example of a low selling franchise that was created as a pack-in meant to counter a major franchise. Microsoft isn't bothering with it anymore because it did its job -- it countered Wii Sports and moved Xboxes. Now that the market has rejected Kinect, it just doesn't make business sense to make another one.

If you want to learn more about market-specific needs, look at how apparel and footwear companies work. A company like Columbia Sportswear can afford to make a low selling pair of wallets or winter gloves because it costs them almost nothing to make them -- so if they sell almost nothing, they still make enough to justify making them again.

hawk2025

Junior member here. Are we not allowed to use ******** numbers?

Edit: V G Chartz where the * are and I guess that answers that.

They are complete guesses, frequently very very off.

I'll explain more what I meant above: Regardless of having accurate sales numbers, it's clear that GT6 was a marked slide in sales from the phenomenon that the previous GTs were. The series did experience a marked fall with GT6, and it's important to impress people when following up something like that.

Fredrik

My guess is that we'll see GT7 Prologue in 2016 and GT7 in 2017. Not too bad imo, I'll gladly wait a bit longer and get locked 60fps.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So they've hired the award winning Audio Lead from Forza 4 & 5 and the two Horizon games and now they're looking for somebody toddle with the AI. Doesn't guarantee anything but it sounds positive. I can't imagine that it's a surprise any surprise that Polyphony will be using GPU compute in some form.

I assume there's going to be another "holy fuck" moment when GT7 is first shown. I know people want it in a hurry but I'm always willing to wait for these games.

This is pretty much where I stand. I really don't feel the need for bi-yearly releases of games, especially when that means that risks, innovations and ambitions all get toned down to fit this two-year-cycle. Let them take all the time they need to fully blow me away instead of pooping out a game on a set schedule that has only modest incremental improvements over the last. Every title should be a giant leap forward, I would hate to see them run this franchise into the ground.

I mean fuck, GT5 and GT6 are still being referenced on every page of the racing game graphics thread, boasting a completely dynamic lighting engine that is barely able to be touched even on current-gen systems. That kind of craftsmanship doesn't come cheap nor fast. And that's just visuals.

Take all the time in the world, Kaz.

QuikNez

Huge fan of both Forza and GT franchises, all racing games infact, but this feels to me like Polyphony's thrust to catch up to Forza.

Now that things have calmed down a bit, this kinda reads like they may be outsourcing

Which would be huge since they've never done that before.

Haven't they already collaborated with other studios for the online structure and similar things ? I know that until now they always kept the assets creation in house, but I'm not sure your quote really indicate outsourcing...

Top Bottom