• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V reveal @ IGN tomorrow 9am PT/12pm ET/5pm GMT with exclusive gameplay #1

Shredderi

So I knew that we were getting gameplay etc. today but I wasn't really hyped. I mean sure I was gonna check it out but I had already played something like 20 hours on ps3. My friend borrowed his copy for me but I didn't have time to finish the game. My mouth is now foaming. This looks absolutely amazing. The reworking of the game for fps is brilliant. I'm gonna play the game fully in fps mode this time. The immersion will be so good as no other open world game emulates the feeling of a living, breathing city like GTA and getting to play it like this will be amazing. Also loving the full body awareness. I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but the mods on the pc... I would love to get the ps4 version right away but I'll wait for the pc version cause that coincides with the time I'm building a new rig.

leadbelly

Banned
Well, some people have argued that the shooting mechanics were the weakest part of the game. I guess that answers that.

I can't see them being anything but improved from that perspective.

Marvel

could never
Few thoughts from CVG GTAVO'Clock

• first person mode is a fundamental rework of the game, not a 3rd person version where the camera has been tricked to look first person."
  • 3,000 animations for the gun reloads?
  • New "locomotion animation" when you start running
  • Phone exists as full 3D object
  • If you look down you see your legs
  • You see tracks changing on the stereo in the car
  • You toggle First Person mode using the touch pad on PS4... Maybe the back/menu button on X1?
  • Controls in first person are very customizable... With new aiming settings
  • There is a setting to have it change to 3rd person if you get hit by a vehicle or something else disorienting. You can turn this off as well.

Still listening..

ho26rj5h
R*

I wonder if the same visual fidelity in single player will be brought over to GTA Online. Now with 30 unique player characters in one lobby causing chaos....i will be impressed

sam777

Looks great and this should improve the shooting by some marging. I wasn't planning on buying this again but I think I will now albeit next year due to so many games releasing this month.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
holy. shit.

This is why I fucking love Rockstar. It's the little details like this.

Didn't Watch Dogs do this before just not in first person? You ducked in the car to avoid police looking at you and possible damage or something?

I haven't played Watch Dogs but I have seen some of the gameplay

yon61

Why would they port from the ps3 instead of the 360 then?

I'm only stating the hardware Rockstar originally worked with for development. Even the 360's CPU is PowerPC. IIRC the PC port of GTAIV was pretty bad thanks to the differences in architecture, though Rockstar didn't seem to put much effort into it.

bitoriginal

Did they mention anything about the way NPC's respond to damage to at all? Like if I shoot them in the leg are they gonna actually limp and stuff? That was what I hated about GTAV the most coming off the back of Red Dead.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I may seriously consider playing this game with a mouse and keyboard now.

And I may get a steering wheel.

And a flight stick.

I mean DAMN!

Didn't Watch Dogs do this before just not in first person? You ducked in the car to avoid police looking at you and possible damage or something?

Nope. You had to fully stop the car first before doing that in Watch Dogs. It was only for hiding from the police.

Big Blue

In WatchDogs you have to stop driving and turn the car off to avoid police detection. In GTA it's to dodge gunfire while driving.

Did they mention anything about the way NPC's respond to damage to at all? Like if I shoot them in the leg are they gonna actually limp and stuff? That was what I hated about GTAV the most coming off the back of Red Dead.

This is my biggest concern. It was so lame when I shot that dude in the house burning down mission in the leg and he just keeled over, twitched for a few seconds, and then died.

bitoriginal

This is my biggest concern. It was so lame when I shot that dude in the house burning down mission in the leg and he just keeled over, twitched for a few seconds, and then died.

I hope they do something about it. Tbh just seeing this first person reveal is a massive disappointment to me. Best third person open world game out there? Yeah we've spent ages making it an FPS! Fucking great...

From the GTAV O'clock:

-When you're driving behind the wheel in First Person, you can actually hold down on the d-pad and you'll duck behind the wheel. It will also restrict your line of vision while doing it.

That is..
jaw-drop-gif-.gif

Teknoman

The first person mode still looks pretty cool, and for those that want to stick to third person for visual reasons, the graphics look pretty detailed. Best of both for everyone.

I just hope they completely turn OFF auto-aim for online.

aember

The first person mode still looks pretty cool, and for those that want to stick to third person for visual reasons, the graphics look pretty detailed. Best of both for everyone.

I just hope they completely turn OFF auto-aim for online.

If your SP aiming is set to Free Aim then Online will look for Free Aim lobbies first. If it doesn't find anything good, it kicks you into a Traditional lobby.

Piggus

Yet Battlefeild 4 & Metal Gear V manage 60fps with a lot better effects & textures.

Just stop. You have no idea what you're talking about. "Better effects and textures" doesn't mean anything. GTAV is a CPU-bound game whereas MGSV and BF4 are more GPU-bound.

I really wish people would do some god damn research into how big open world games actually work.

When you look down you can see your legs? Is that all? I was hoping for Outlast levels of body awareness.

I hope you can shoot yourself in the leg/foot the way you can shoot your horse in RDR.

Wow! I was sold on the remaster just for the visuals alone but this is sooooooooooooo much more!

Hats off to Rockstar for showing how to re-sell an already great game - this is not just a simple cash grab.

leadbelly

Banned
Just stop. You have no idea what you're talking about. "Better effects and textures" doesn't mean anything. GTAV is a CPU-bound game whereas MGSV and BF4 are more GPU-bound.

Listening to the CVG podcast, they mention that the draw distance is absolutely incredible as well.

pr0cs

I want moar videos.

This sort of game is the point of the consoles allowing gameplay save and record to video, the amount of crazy shit going on is going to be awesome to watch again after it all transpired.

Over 600 hours in, and I am giggling like a school girl at these notes I am reading. This is incredible, I can't wait for everything. FPS GTA almost requires you to see everything again. I know I will be exploring non stop, taking my sweet time soaking it all in. Two weeks can't come soon enough.
I have to agree. One of my most memorable things from GTA IV was I saw a cop walking down the street with his pistol in hand. I shot him in the lower calf from behind. I then watched him stumble around for a second, then fire his pistol in the ground once, right before he fell over. Once he slowly got back up, he tried to limp to me, but I was gone well before he got to me. Hilarious, and will never be forgotten. In V, people seem to die from a pistol shot to the foot, we need it to be a little more dynamic.

Also, please please PLEASE bring back the drunk mode from GTA IV. Being drunk in that game was so much more fun, thanks to the stumbling and bumbling.

AU Tiger

Amazing. So glad I waited to play it for the first time on PC too.

I hope that ubisoft is taking notes.

"Chicago was boring, it's time to go back to Los Santos"

sandlot-forever-o.gif

Nzyme32

Yet Battlefeild 4 & Metal Gear V manage 60fps with a lot better effects & textures.

No. Particularly MGS V - the textures are often low resolution or flat, LOD is low leading to lots of pop in, shadow resolution is low etc etc. Despite all that, people love the look of the game in large part thanks to it's excellent lighting system. It makes me believe people would like these games if there were at 60fps and lower fidelity more than most people would believe.

Nzyme32

In terms of the FPS mode, I don't think the aiming is off. If you slow it right down it lines up right.

It looks absolutely fine in almost every scene except this one

tiiwgu.gif

Regardless, this is a running theme in a lot of FPS games, it just seems more obvious in this one instance

viveks86

You can view the cutscenes in between missions in first person

Wasn't expecting that! o_O

Also, holding R3 in first person, turns your head around like in outlast.

Top Bottom