• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTTV/Spike is airing an entire episode about Unreal Engine 4 on June 7th

Yeah its pretty good.
I would of liked to see some foilage and forest enviroments demoed.

Starwars 1313 and WatchDogs impressed me more.

Welp, pretty impressive tech, but I think Epic's medieval art style is pretty sterile stuff. It's something I noticed with Infinity Blade, too. I'd love to see some demos more akin to Samaritan made with UE4, though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Simply incredible lighting and particles.

japtor

I thought he said it may someday run on the iPhone. Not necessarily this one, but iPhones get upgraded annually.
He might be talking about UE/UDK itself, like this interview a while back Capps talks about scaling down the engine after launch for mobile and indie dev:
http://www.develop-online.net/features/1462/Epic-Games-next-gen-manifesto
I would like to have a vertical solution – for our tech to be useful for mobile projects and triple-A projects. In the past few years I think we’ve learned a lot about our technology and how it works for indie studios. How our tech works for iPhone games, for high-end triple-A studios and for a couple of guys who make a cool UDK game over the summer.

We’re going to apply all these lessons we’ve learned with Unreal Engine 4, and I think you’re going to see a lot of difference with UE3 within the first six months from launch.

large_homer.drool9yzgk.jpg

Those particles were absolutely gorgeous. The lightning is pretty great too.

Edit: The environment they chose for this demo was kind of boring so I'm looking forward to seeing what someone else will build with these tools.

Eusis

Don't think I'll be blown away by anything other than the particle effects until I get to play a game running on this. However the seeming emphasis on effects over higher detail makes me hope it's actually relatively cheap to implement and thus the cost jump JUST for using this engine over UE3 is irrelevant, or better yet backwards.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Definitely shits on Samaritan.

If people are finding that underwhelming, I don't even want to know the unfathomable expectations y'all have. Technically and visually much more impressive than any game I've seen.

rdrr gnr

Looks solid and achievable. I'm not a developer so I can't differentiate between PR-speak and reality. But it does seem like with the upgrades comes streamed development tools -- which is good for all ends of the game spectrum, right? Just want to buffer against doom-and-gloom posts.

They should have demoed this earlier. That FF demo just killed me.

Daante

- Runs on current high end pc hardware that you could "buy off the shelves in stores now"

- Demo was running on a SINGLE graphic card

- Geoff mention "2014 could not come any sooner" meaning next gen consoles is targeted for 2014 (?)

Azure J

Just watching that YouTube footage and goddamn. GI everywhere in this bitch and I love it. Also excellent to hear that the engine is highly scalable.

apana

I liked the demo for the Agni engine better, but I'm not sure what that proves. Many devs have made incredible looking games this generation without using unreal engine so it is not that much of a surprise that this trend will continue.

This impressed me more than Agni's Philosophy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvfn1p92_8&feature=plcp

Yeah I thought this was cool though to tell you the truth if this is what next gen offers I'm not sure why everyone was going so nuts recently in anticipation for PS4/Nextbox and wanting them to be $599. I think a lot of people are very satisfied with what this generation achieved and this definitely looks like a generational leap but it doesn't make current games feel ancient.

Trickster

Yeah I thought this was cool though to tell you the truth if this is what next gen offers I'm not sure why everyone was going so nuts recently in anticipation for PS4/Nextbox and wanting them to be $599. I think a lot of people are very satisfied with what this generation achieved and this definitely looks like a generational leap but it doesn't make current games feel ancient.

I don't understand how anyone could watch this, Star Wars 1313, Watchdogs and Agin's Philosophy and not want next-gen asap. It just looks so much better than what we currently have on consoles.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
- Geoff mention "2014 could not come any sooner" meaning next gen consoles is targeted for 2014 (?)

No, early next gen games will likely use UE3.9. So Samaritan.

When you think about it, any game that is coming out for launch on 720 and PS4 have to already be in development, right now, if they are to make it. And if Next gen consoles launch in fall 2013, and UE4 is not out right now, that makes it kind of obvious.

UE4 games will probably start development this fall(aside from Epic Games titles), but none of them will be ready for fall 2013, that is not long enough dev time unless you are working off of a base like CoD or Madden.

japtor

Not necessarily, the first UE3 games were released about a year after PS3/360 if I remember correctly.
Well there's this from that interview I posted a little up:
And the other thing I’ll call out; I want Unreal Engine 4 to be ready far earlier than UE3 was; not a year after the consoles are released. I think a year from a console’s launch is perfectly fine for releasing a game, but not for releasing new tech. We need to be there day one or very early. That’s my primary focus.

For us as a game-maker, we aren’t keen on shipping games day one because there’s not much of an install-base, or at least not one as big as it’s going to be. But with engines, that’s a different story. We want to deliver our tech as early as possible even though our first big marquee game might not be on there for twelve or even twenty-four months from a console’s launch.
Maybe 2014 is the target for their game?

USIGSJ

I found that tech part vid way more interesting then the demo itself, all the lighting features look awesome, particles and per pixel lens are great too. Around 7:40 he says "voxel lighing intensity" property for the lighting, I wonder if they're using something similar to that voxel cone tracing for their GI solution.

People actually believe Agni's Philosophy is realtime graphics?

Why wouldn't I believe the opposite? If it was CGI (or what you call pre-rendered), it woul have had 0 faults and mistakes nada niente garnicht, whereas Agni's Philossophy demo has plenty of it, ranging from aliasing to some blurred textures to pixalted shadows and blocky models with not accurate and blocky polygons.
Look here at the old man pic, he has pixalated shadows cast on his shoulders and pixalated teeth textures (especially the missing one):
http://www.agnisphilosophy.com/files/img/philosophy/screenshots/original_c.jpg
And here look closely at the mutatnt hyena, the end of its jaw looks blocky and lacks polygons:
http://www.agnisphilosophy.com/files/img/philosophy/screenshots/original_i.jpg
If it was pre-rendered FMV CGI (call it what ou want) like the regular non ingame cinematics that Square Enix are famous about, then it would have had none of those errors.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Simply incredible lighting and particles.

It really was. The IQ was fantastic.

I can't believe some people are claiming this isn't impressive LOL. Never change GAF.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can run any ATI/Nvidia tech demo on my PC. Does that mean it's feasible for a game?

No, but real time is real time no matter how you spin it.

The Agni's Philosophy demo wasn't particularly impressive to me, not compared to this.

Sean

Banned
Well there's this from that interview I posted a little up:

Maybe 2014 is the target for their game?

Interesting, I guess 2014 could perhaps be referring to their first UE4 game. Seems possible as the Gears team would have a three year development cycle.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So, off-topic but this thread reminded me of it.

What ever happened to that game that was announced back in 2005 or so that had amazing graphics? One of the tech demos had the player fighting an orc and I think the other had a dragon. I think the first time I saw it was on G4 or something.

Jasoneyu

So, off-topic but this thread reminded me of it.

What ever happened to that game that was announced back in 2005 or so that had amazing graphics? One of the tech demos had the player fighting an orc and I think the other had a dragon. I think the first time I saw it was on G4 or something.

Project offset? If I recall it was cancelled :(

elcapitan

I love seeing new technology. The demo displays a lot of impressive tech, but the devkit advantages seem to be the most important thing. Keep those dev costs down.

Top Bottom