• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

Because you'll always have troll posts. Those are the easiest to scroll on by. But when you get a head line that's calling something broken, when it's not, that leads some people to become defenders instead discussing that there may be a problem.

I don't know how the hyperbole doesn't annoy you more. The "lets outrage!" scene has diluted what it means for something in games to be actually broken.

Because hyperbole exist in every single thread about every single other game that isn't exclusive to Halo... But yet generalization are just flying through for those who are annoyed by the hyperboles?

You can defend the incorrect information without trying to get away with "calling out others" that you feel are making these terrible statement about your game. It's simple as that. I don't call out everyone who has anything bad to say about Splatoon as some "non owning console player on a different console/pc" owner and gafs special of the week.

Anyways I'm leaving this...

Some people need to realize they're not near as good as they thought or that years of CoD and Destiny have taken a toll on their skill. Halo 5 has a very, very high skill ceiling that will be humbling a lot for the foreseeable future. It's glorious.

Halo 5 also has very, very slow and awkward aiming that people who play other shooters at high sensitivity settings will never get used to. It's not the case that great FPS players suddenly lack skill: it's that Halo 5 has vastly different aiming.

BriGuy

I'm on like mission 13 now? Yea, you can cut the crap. Halo has never been this fucking amazing. Halo 5 comfortably leaves every other Halo title in the dust as far as I'm concerned. The gameplay is by leaps and bounds better than anything the franchise has ever seen, and I'm loving - and I do mean absolutely loving - that they chose to 'go there' with the story. If people have read the books and other lore what's happening is even more exciting and makes complete sense.

I love the direction they are taking the franchise, and it brings a whole new meaning to the term 'reclaimer. What's transpiring in the game's story changes the halo universe forever, just as they said it would. If there were ever any doubt at all that Halo was in the right hands, Halo 5 has effectively answered and confirmed that nobody but 343i should be handling this franchise's future.

As someone not terribly invested in the story, my opinion of the game is "well, it's better than Halo 4." I always look forward to seeing how opinions change after the honeymoon period is over.

Halo 5 also has very, very slow and awkward aiming that people who play other shooters at high sensitivity settings will never get used to. It's not the case that great FPS players suddenly lack skill: it's that Halo 5 has vastly different aiming.

Halo 5 aiming has a much larger skill gap than that of cod or destiny...and pretty much every other console fps in recent years.

The game has a much higher skill ceiling so people who hit the ceiling in cod never get any better than x whereas to be good in halo you need to seriously step up your game. So yes. They do lack skill. As the games they play do not facilitate the growth of skill like halo does.

BokehKing

Banned
If I'm not mistaken. ..other halos didn't have this. So it's a first for everyone and if that's the case....the other players k/D isn't because of the aiming.

Everyone is on equal footing.
Last time I'm touching on this

Halo aiming in general , the non ADS, descoping, large reticle style is different from what people are use to, as well as the non stop barrage of grenades, it's all different from all the other FPS games.

Yes you're all on equal footing, but a person who is use to the modern shooter is at a disadvantage to this play style, having this 'intended' aiming on top of that makes it worst

There is no happy medium in halo

Some people just can't handle a skill gap or playing a shooter without massive amounts of autoaim on console I guess because there is nothing remotely broken about it.

BokehKing

Banned
Halo 5 aiming has a much larger skill gap than that of cod or destiny...and pretty much every other console fps in recent years.

The game has a much higher skill ceiling so people who hit the ceiling in cod never get any better than x whereas to be good in halo you need to seriously step up your game. So yes. They do lack skill. As the games they play do not facilitate the growth of skill like halo does.
So the game is not casual friendly, yet they want casuals to buy it and not expect them to ditch it a week later?

NeOak

If you actually read the thread you would see they changed it after the beta and the pros tried several iterations before deciding on the way the aiming is currently working.
I tried.

I couldn't take the 343i bashing.

I mean, sure they messed up before, but they did try with this one and got it right.

But thanks for letting me know.

However, diagonally shouldn't be slower :/

Definitely not broken. I'm not having any more trouble landing headshots than I usually do, which is to say, a lot, but not a ton. I think this might just be the adjustment period getting to people.

The game is still great.

So the game is not casual friendly, yet they want casuals to buy it and not expect them to ditch it a week later?

High skill ceiling =/= unfriendly to casuals. AR/Pistol starts and Warzone are both great enablers to enjoyable gameplay at low skill levels. A high skill ceiling just means that it's also very fun for more competitive players.

jg4xchamp

My issue is that it feels like there is this weird acceleration going on, but I always felt that was a Xbox one deadzone thing. Otherwise I've struggled early, but turned it around, game is a blast. Wouldn't mind a patch, but also don't really yearn for one yet.

Armor lock, halo 3 br spread, halo 3s netcode, and all of halo 4 annoyed me way more.

BokehKing

Banned
Its only like this in halo 5. Holy shit. What part aren't you getting? No one is use to this
Just stop, you're not getting it, the fundamental halo gun control, the core control is still there, it's still halo

People who don't play halo will not be good at halo
This aiming issue doesn't help that

I knew something weird was going on with the aiming. Felt like aim acceleration or a deadzone issue to me though. Its too bad because the game is so good.

If you play on a very high sensitivity with a controler you are doing it wrong anyways. I hope 343 doesn't add more auto aim perfect kills feel so rewarding now.

E92 M3

Personally, I think it's dumb that a "pro" team had an influence on development. Bungie never cared about pro gaming that much and Halo shooting always felt great. I want to love Halo 5 so badly (movement is awesome), but the aiming just feels wrong. Over the 20 years of gaming I have played a lot of shooters on PC and console for comparative sake.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Just stop, you're not getting it, the fundamental halo gun control, the core control is still there, it's still halo

People who don't play halo will not be good at halo
This aiming issue doesn't help that

We understand that it's still halo we're not dumb.

But this is NEW not something which has been in all the games.

Personally, I think it's dumb that a "pro" team had an influence on development. Bungie never cared about pro gaming that much and Halo shooting always felt great. I want to love Halo 5 so badly (movement is awesome), but the aiming just feels wrong. Over the 20 years of gaming I have played a lot of shooters on PC and console for comparative sake.

Really? Halo shooting always felt great? What about the H3 BR situation? Bloom?

What about everything else Bungie messed up over the years? The series' historically poor weapon balance? Basically every map in Reach? ARMORLOCK?

Pro team is, and will always remain, a great idea. It's a big part of why H5 is as great as it is.

Figured this out the day of launch. My aim was all over the place which is very unlike me. I wasnt for sure if i was just playing bad, or trying to get use to larger sticks with the elite controller. All i knew was i was playing worst than usual. I checked the forums the next day and its a widely complained issue, so im sure it will vbe fixed/changed quickly. Same goes to the small radius radar. They really shouldnt have let the pros influence the mechanics this much, but otherwise it is an amazing game and the mechanics are great besides a few things like this. Typical for launch games to tweak things in the first few weeks.

Anyways, the Elite controller can change sensitivity settings, so i partially fixed it through the Xbox Accessories app.

VinFTW

Title is still bad, it's not broken in any regard.

This bug is not severe enough to make good players bad or bad players any worse.

Aiming is hard in this game. All that destiny and call of duty, hell, even halo 2A has spoiled people.

Warxard

Banned

Halo 3 BRs, the destruction of the Magnum as a proper utility, Bloom in Readh, Halo after Halo of bad MP design decisions until 5.

I'd appreciate a developer that gave a damn about competitive balance in a shooter instead of whatever the fuck Destiny and Reach are

This bug is not severe enough to make good players bad or bad players any worse.

Aiming is hard in this game. All that destiny and call of duty, hell, even halo 2A has spoiled people.
Titles are allowed to be opinions and this title ever so clearly suggests it is an opinion or stream of consciousness.

What about everything else Bungie messed up over the years? The series' historically poor weapon balance? Basically every map in Reach? ARMORLOCK?

Pro team is, and will always remain, a great idea. It's a big part of why H5 is as great as it is.

This. Without those guys we wouldnt have such a polished and perfected H5.

I'll have to do some experimenting later today because i still dont feel like anything is the slightest bit off aiming wise... like literally blowing my mind with these comments. Did you all experience this problem in single player as well or just multi?

I dont personally think its a problem but I understand why some people are annoyed with it. Console fps has had pretty high aim assist for some time now, especially Destiny and CoD.

That said it is a design choice. IF they decide to tweak it some so be it but its certainly not broken.

I wouldn't say it isn't casual friendly. Warzone and the skill matchmaking seem fairly decent. I got plonked straight into Onyx/Diamond right away in all playlists.

I'm sure casuals are having just as much fun as me in Bronze matches with people on their level.

Lucifon

Not sure why you're so defiant about this - there's no such thing as 'hard' aim. It's not the aim assist which is a problem - the video clearly highlights this without any enemy in sight. It either works properly for everyone, or it doesn't. Just because the issue isn't effecting you doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist. It's a mental thing, it'll effect some people more than others. There's nothing to do with skill. The issue should be solved somehow, even if it's giving the option to tweak axis sensitivity individually. The solution to the problem won't damage your enjoyment of the game.

Half a joke (read: not serious) and not based entirely on fact since I haven't played halo 5, but I bet people don't notice this sort of oddity because of aim assist. On PC you're making your diagonal movements with your mouse. Often on halo when you're tracking (at least in halo 3), most of that is being handled by aim assist.

So when that guy jumps to the left and you need to track his movements, lower sensitivity in that instance is actually not even a big hindrance because it stops you from messing up the aim assist. In this respect, maybe it is even intended.

Trup1aya

I just opened a custom game, and I'm trying to make this an issue for me, but I can't.

What I noticed is that when moving the cursor diagnally, the initial velocity is the exact same as when moving it vertically or horizontally.

If you stand completely still and try to aim at someone in your frame of view, you can move your cursor as quickly diagnally as you can in any other direction.

But if you actually intend to turn diagnally to shoot someone who is outside of your initial frame of view, you won't have the same acceleration as you would turning horizontally.

This would only become an 'issue' if trying to quickly aim diagonally at a target that is initially out of your view, without moving your feet. But since I typically counter-strafe against the turn, I still get the cursor on target in the desired amount of time. And this is the natural thing to do because a person does not have enough horizontal range to warrant acceleration, by the time you reach the edge of your range, it's time to physically turn your body...

Where do we suggest the cursor accelerates to when the stick is held true diagonal?

E92 M3

This is because H5 has lower aim assist than the other games. "Fixing" this is not going to improve your aiming that much.

I know what aim assist feels like it and that's not it. I've played many shooters over the years, including many on the PC.

Pro team has no business designing games. You think Smash Bros Melee had a pro team on board? Sakurai made a good game that was fun for casuals and pros. Same thing Bungie did with their games - balance problems included.

I am only talking about core fundamentals of shooting.

Halo 3 BRs, the destruction of the Magnum as a proper utility, Bloom in Readh, Halo after Halo of bad MP design decisions until 5.

I'd appreciate a developer that gave a damn about competitive balance in a shooter instead of whatever the fuck Destiny and Reach are

Yeah, those were bad decisions, but shooting always felt right and that's all that matters. By the way, personally didn't like Halo 3 much, but still got a 50 like everyone else.

theWB27

Last time I'm touching on this

Halo aiming in general , the non ADS, descoping, large reticle style is different from what people are use to, as well as the non stop barrage of grenades, it's all different from all the other FPS games.

Yes you're all on equal footing, but a person who is use to the modern shooter is at a disadvantage to this play style, having this 'intended' aiming on top of that makes it worst

There is no happy medium in halo

I really hope it is. That person who complained about their k/d ratio compared it to past halos they've played.

For the last time. ...the aiming isn't the reason they're not as good since everyone is dealing with it.

You're not listening to what I'm saying. Obviously aiming in Halo 5 is more difficult because it has much less aim assist than most other shooters, but what makes it even more difficult than that is the crippled sensitivity.

Mastering high sensitivity is a skill. It requires fine control for small adjustments and in return allows you to turn on a dime. Players who have spent months and years mastering this skill will have ingrained motor control that expects their aim to move a certain degree when they touch their thumbstick.

In Halo 5, when like I'm used to I barely touch the stick to aim from a shoulder to a head, my aim barely moves. It takes me forever to turn 90° .There's just no getting used to such a huge difference in controls. And it's not worth it to me to stop playing other shooters just so I can get used to Halo 5's sensitivity.

The day 343 makes me able to aim with high and consistent sensitivity is when I'll play Halo again.

If you play on a very high sensitivity with a controler you are doing it wrong anyways. I hope 343 doesn't add more auto aim perfect kills feel so rewarding now.

I think not. Where you get killed by the guy behind you I immediately turn around as soon as I hear/see him on radar and put rounds into his head just fine, because that's what I've been doing for years.

The current system takes more skill

343 please don't gimp this perfect game

That's exactly what i'm worried about. Some added aim assist or other bullshit added to calm the low-skill class. Buck up buttercups and get gud. (i'm completely being an ass on purpose... if there really is an issue for some... i'm all for a any optional fix that doesn't impact bullet magnetism or auto aim)

Spasm

Bottom line, Halo 5 aiming is different than every other Halo title, even as presented in MCC, and it sucks for high sensitivity players. It's just so slow and heavy. I had to go from 7 to 10, and it still feels off.

The current system takes more skill

343 please don't gimp this perfect game
The current system takes less skill. You can make small aiming adjustments with large, quick movements of the stick. Skilled players are used to just making subtle stick movements, which are no longer effective.

You're not listening to what I'm saying. Obviously aiming in Halo 5 is more difficult because it has much less aim assist than most other shooters, but what makes it even more difficult than that is the crippled sensitivity.

Mastering high sensitivity is a skill. It requires fine control for small adjustments and in return allows you to turn on a dime. Players who have spent months and years mastering this skill will have ingrained motor control that expects their aim to move a certain degree when they touch their thumbstick.

In Halo 5, when like I'm used to I barely touch the stick to aim from a shoulder to a head, my aim barely moves. It takes me forever to turn 90° .There's just no getting used to such a huge difference in controls. And it's not worth it to me to stop playing other shooters just so I can get used to Halo 5's sensitivity.

The day 343 makes me able to aim with high and consistent sensitivity is when I'll play Halo again.

What sense are you playing on out of interest?

Never known a top halo player to play on higher than 5 or 6. I'm 5 on H5 and was 4 on previous titles. Found I did need to go up one notch for H5.

Pro team has no business designing games. You think Smash Bros Melee had a pro team on board? Sakurai made a good game that was fun for casuals and pros. Same thing Bungie did with their games - balance problems included.

I am only talking about core fundamentals of shooting.

No, I don't think Smash has a pro team on board. In fact, I know they don't, because if they did, we would never have ever gotten tripping. And there might even be some kind of competitive balance.

That's the kind of shit I'm talking about.

And fun for pros does not exclude the game being fun for casuals, or vice versa. That's just a ridiculous claim.

BokehKing

Banned
I wouldn't say it isn't casual friendly. Warzone and the skill matchmaking seem fairly decent. I got plonked straight into Onyx/Diamond right away in all playlists.

I'm sure casuals are having just as much fun as me in Bronze matches with people on their level.
Skill match making and ranking....idk, I had 3 games where I scored 10+ kills in the begining, then tanked the rest of my qualifying games while talking on the phone

They still put me in a Gold 1, that doesn't sound right at all, I should have been in bronze

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Yes you don't want to spoil people with correct diagonal aiming speed. Who knows what would happen next. Riots, guillotines. They're a rowdy lot. Best to call them filthy casuals and belt out "WORKING AS INTENDED" over the street corner megaphones.

What sense are you playing on out of interest?

Never known a top halo player to play on higher than 5 or 6. I'm 5 on H5 and was 4 on previous titles.
Found I did need to go up one notch for H5.

Even on H5 the vast majority of pro-players are sticking in the same 3-6 range (i still dont understand how soem can play at 3)... this is according to some of the live streaming of H5 pro players that's been going on the last two weeks or so.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
As someone who was pretty decent at halo 4, I've been having a hard time with halo 5's aiming. Thought it was just me adjusting to 60 fos, but sonething definitely feels off.

BokehKing

Banned
That's exactly what i'm worried about. Some added aim assist or other bullshit added to calm the low-skill class. Buck up buttercups and get gud. (i'm completely being an ass on purpose... if there really is an issue for some... i'm all for a any optional fix that doesn't impact bullet magnetism or auto aim)
They won't, they will leave the game, you want the population to stay or not

Lucifon

Guessing you didn't view the video linked from the post then... The issue isn't anything to do with aim assist, that won't solve the problem. However, optional fix is definitely the way to go with this - like Killzone 2 went with. For those who have no issue then let them stick with the way the diagonal aiming works currently, but for those of us which are having problems with it add an optional solution.

Kill3r7

You've played Halo before. You know how matchmaking works. For the most part casuals play against casuals, most gamers face each other and the pros do their thing. After the first couple of weeks you know where you stand. That said, Halo is not like COD, BF4, Killzone or any other competitive FPS on consoles.

Top Bottom