• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

Herbs

Banned
Thats what happens when people play too much destiny and COD, it deteriorates your skill set

totally, been playing CoD for the past 4-5 years. now back into Halo and loving it like Halo 2. The fun part though is adjusting my skills again and re-learning a new game. It's refreshing

Shari

I don't understand how people are being bothered by thread title.

Drama is not going to make the game less good than it is and a little internet fire can do a lot of good for publisher awareness and priorities.

Korosenai

There's also an entirely separate problem with the aiming, which is that the velocity curve has been tampered with. It's something like this:

9QziCsW.png

...instead of a linear relationship. This means you get unexpected bursts of reticle movement. I could theoretically fix this if I bought an Elite controller, as that's one of the tweaking options. But that's crazy.

It's not an issue of narrowing the skill gap, either. I just want consistency.
What setting do I need to use to fix this in the game?

BokehKing

Banned
Not sure if this is a troll post or what

but you realise this is how aim works for everyone? so na it doesn't explain your kd, just saying
Are you saying aiming does not work different in halo?
It certainly doesn't control like say...COD/battlefield or Destiny

To a person new to the series or who has not played in years...

Kssio_Aug

To all those asking if "looking into it" means 343 confirms aiming is broken now if you'd take the time to read Ghosts post (whos was cited by 343 themselves) you will see 343 "PRO" team saying it is a decign choice.

So yea they"re pretty much confirming aiming is broken by saying it was a design choice as in fast acceleration/deadzone changes were done purposely and its not a bug.

Wut?

So if that's a design choice, cause they believe its better giving the feedback they received, then they're confirming it is broken?

I'm not following you mate. LoL

Blueblur1

Came here to post a bunch of this. Everyone's on a level playing field here. It was a little "different" at first but now feels like home. Wouldn't want it changed. Feels so good.

It feels bad, IMO. I feel like I'm fighting the controls to play the game.

BokehKing

Banned
I don't understand how people are being bothered by thread title.

Drama is not going to make the game less good than it is and a little internet fire can do a lot of good for publisher awareness and priorities.
Because it is tarnishing their favorite games name , and a story may be written about it, and you know Clark Kent syndrome

It's understandable

To me one minute the controls are fine the next they are not, I'm too busy dodging 5 billion grenades to really have it bother me this much, people said COD was a frag fest, geezus

I just change sensitivity from 7 to 5 then back to 7
It's annoying when it happens though

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
lmao some of these posts. Fist couple of page, absolutely embarrassing. Its like MS 343 ran over their dog and want any chance they get get to shit on them religiously.

And @ people complaining about how they suck because of this design choice, isn't this same for everyone. You and the person who killwd you.

Kill3r7

totally, been playing CoD for the past 4-5 years. now back into Halo and loving it like Halo 2. The fun part though is adjusting my skills again and re-learning a new game. It's refreshing

Agreed but so far I have found the pistol and hand cannon (Destiny) to be play very similarly. It probably has something to do with me not using ADS.

SwolBro

Banned
Very similar to the Uncharted 3 issue it seems. Pretty unforgivable and just goes to show how broken the QA process is even for the absolute top first party blockbuster releases not to catch something so fucking obvious. Or, as usual, perhaps it was caught but ignored.

To this day, I still hate how Naughty Dog "fixed" U3's aiming by offering "alternate aiming" in the options. Yeah, its just a preference to want to aim diagonally. So tip to 343: don't do that. Take your lumps and fix whats broken.

Edit: Oh good, the same "designed this way" shit as U3. Get mad, GAF. Took a while to show ND how fucked they'd made it.

Well... i rather there be various ways to aim than just catering to one side. The elite controller looks like it could allow this which is exactly what i want. So, i'm good.

I want to know why they went with this curve rather than a linear one. I want to hear their reasonings...

AP90

Just wanted to chime in here as someone who doesn't even own an XB1 or even care about Halo.

The blatant troll posts (including the title) are pretty disgusting and while I'm not advocating censorship or modding, the fanboyism from people who I'm assuming own another console/PC needs to stop.

I know this happens on all sides, but for whatever reason, on this particular forum, it's more prominently (and consistently) anti Microsoft.

Again, I have no vested interest in this platform (will never own one) but the forum needs to raise the standard because quite frankly, this is getting pretty fucking ridiculous.

these clickbait titles are killing it lately gaf.

"Halo 5's aim is broken" No it just moves slower in one direction, the devs intended it that way, but look like they are revisiting it.

"microsoft has destroyed xbox live" no one guy doesnt like party chats for some reason

i cant wait for today when someone posts "5 things about gamging that totally will destroy your life....you wont believe number 4!"

I am surprised why some of these click bait/bad titled threads have not been locked before they start getting out of hand. The review ones get extra salty as it is already.

Starting to feel the vibe from the bolded above as well. As some people will grasp at straws and then some people will go and run with it. =/

Herbs

Banned
Agreed but so far I have found the pistol and hand cannon (Destiny) to be play very similarly. It probably has something to do with me not using ADS.

i couldn't get into destiny though I wanted to. just wasn't my thing. i may eventually though. just seems like it's too much of a time sink and I'd rather sink it into this.

Broken? I doubt all the overwhelming positive feedback means it's "broken". Should this be tweaked? Sure. But the aiming is far from broken.

I think some people need to calm the hell down, I don't know why they're over reacting so much. If they think the aiming is "broken" that much, then switch to another game and play that whilst this gets "fixed". Not a big deal; don't understand the melodrama. I thought GAF was better than this. The crapping on 343 in the past week has been getting out of control IMO.

I have not noticed anything wrong with the aiming. It plays better than it ever has.

I haven't either. That's why I have a hard time with the term broken. It's far from broke.

On another note, the learning curve is pretty hard. It's not what I would call easy...definitely a high skill shooter.

BokehKing

Banned
Broken = aiming left and your reticle moves up instead

That's not what is happening in game, I would like to call it a flaw though, not everyone is a pro or wants to play like a pro does

LiK

343 Industries, everybody.

Fucking hacks that have ruined Halo.

what a drama queen.

lmao some of these posts. Fist couple of page, absolutely embarrassing. Its like MS 343 ran over their dog and want any chance they get get to shit on them religiously.

And @ people complaining about how they suck because of this design choice, isn't this same for everyone. You and the person who killwd you.

yea, some people will use any excuse to shit on 343i. they said they're looking into it, what else do they want?

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
That's interesting because I was just having this conversation with my friend yesterday. Not about Halo but aiming with an Xbox 360 controller on PC, in general. I asked if he has issues aiming diagonally, to which he agreed. My controller is perfectly calibrated, too, and only a few months old. It's also wired. So now I just chalk it up to the 360 controller having less precision than a DS4, or even DS3, when it comes to analog movement. It's also like this with every single PC game I've played.

Tunavi

Banned
I had a 1.7 kdr in reach.
I knew the h5 aiming felt off, Now I have a .77 kdr in h5 and I've been playing a lot of mcc lately, I'm not super rusty.
Something is definitely up, still having a blast with the game. Hope they sort it out.

TheOddOne

Hence.....tarnishing their favorite games name

It's not like I don't agree with you
These people, who never owned this game, sure feel that their favorite game is being tarnished:
I don't even own an X1, but at this point it is very evident that there is a very clear and implicit motive in forwarding this narrative about Halo, MS, and 343i in many threads like this. The best part? Comparing Halo's aiming to fucking Uncharted 3 pre-patch (something verifiable, broken, and evident on this very forum's archives). It's like people are pushing an agenda without any recompense, but, simply out of nothing but sheer emotional investment. Sad. Maybe they sleep better at night?
Just wanted to chime in here as someone who doesn't even own an XB1 or even care about Halo.

The blatant troll posts (including the title) are pretty disgusting and while I'm not advocating censorship or modding, the fanboyism from people who I'm assuming own another console/PC needs to stop.

I know this happens on all sides, but for whatever reason, on this particular forum, it's more prominently (and consistently) anti Microsoft.

Again, I have no vested interest in this platform (will never own one) but the forum needs to raise the standard because quite frankly, this is getting pretty fucking ridiculous.
Maybe not generalize people next time? Because I've seen you use this logic everytime to defend everything.

I am surprised why some of these click bait/bad titled threads have not been locked before they start getting out of hand. The review ones get extra salty as it is already.

Starting to feel the vibe from the bolded above as well. As some people will grasp at straws and then some people will go and run with it. =/

The other post should of came out and said Nintendo, Sony fanboys plus PC gamers need to stop because that's what he's saying. But ironically, the OP wasn't made by either one. Have Halo fans really gone over the top that any criticism levied by anybody on this site is coming from those who has never even play this game? Seriously? That's the angle?

As far as I'm concerned... I though proof was more prevalent on GAF than blanket statements because assuming something sincerely makes an ass out of yourself. Nothing in here is screaming any fanboys jumping on anything outside of people familiar with the game who hate what it is now.... Get over yall self. It's never that serious. And it's starting to get real annoying that some of you guys can't DEAL with exposure on issues.

Sec0nd

It really felt off when I started playing. Went from sensitivity 3 to 10 to 7 to 2 etc. All felt weird but Im used to it now and Im not really bothered by it anymore.

SwolBro

Banned
The other post should of came out and said Nintendo, Sony fanboys plus PC gamers need to stop because that's what he's saying. But ironically, the OP wasn't made by either one. Have Halo fans really gone over the top that any criticism levied by anybody on this site is coming from those who has never even play this game? Seriously? That's the angle?

No, but when there is a thread title is as misleading as this one you know there's going to be people pissed off.

How does this make it past pro players?

Honestly, when u play a game for a long time you get used to it. Its hard to see the little problems when you know it inside out and have been playing it this way for a long time. That being said, first thing i noticed was that. I started the campaign and i remember struggling with just putting my reticule on the enemies, i always overshot them. But, i got used to it.

theWB27

As far as I'm concerned... I though proof was more prevalent on GAF than blanket statements because assuming something sincerely makes an ass out of yourself. Nothing in here is screaming any fanboys jumping on anything outside of people familiar with the game who hate what it is now.... Get over yall self. It's never that serious. And it's starting to get real annoying that some of you guys can't DEAL with exposure on issues.

There's nothing wrong with calling things out. It's the added hyperbole, like calling something broken when it isn't the case, that makes discussion turn into defending a game.

If it's annoying you, it's obviously a little serious to you too.

Azlan

This thread title is really misleading. It isn't "broken". It just isn't what some are used to. It was a purposeful choice. I personalyy found it very easy to get used to. This is by far the best playing Halo mp imho.

VinFTW

It feels bad, IMO. I feel like I'm fighting the controls to play the game.
Well it's significantly harder than past halos and if you aren't that skilled, you're gonna have a bad time until you get used to it.

I've been playing the game for a long time and I never noticed this bug. I tend to get 15+ kills a slayer game so maybe I'm just used to it now?

It's not that big of a deal and it's certainly not the reason anyone sucks.

If you're good, you're good, if you suck, you suck, the bug is not gonna make any difference. Blaming it is ridiculous, IMO.

ogbg

Surely the title should say that aiming is different from previous games, rather than broken. Calling it broken kind of implies that there is only one correct system of translating analogue stick movements into aiming reticule movements.

No, but when there is a thread title is as misleading as this one you know there's going to be people pissed off.

What's misleading about it if there is an actual issue with the way the aiming is in the game? Maybe it's not broken, but if it's off its off. No one has been bashing Halo harder than actual Halo fans? Who even found this issue in the game though? Come on....

Top Bottom