• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

This aim issue hasn't bothered me at all yet, but I seem to be the only player in every match who can't hit a target at long range while others can perfect me in return, lol.

watership

Which isn't saying much considering Halo 2's MP was trash, even though people seem to be wearing rose-colored glasses regarding that now. I wish there was an archive of the Bungie.net forums for the first year to remind people how much everyone almost unanimously hated it.

Wait, If Halo 2 multi was trash to you and 343 are hacks who ruined halo, what the fuck do you consider good? Halo 5 multi is the most fun my friends and I have had in a shooter in MANY years.

tuna_love

Banned
Yes that's fine but like I said to someone who has not played halo in years or ever , it's a huge adjustment and would explain his kdr

I mostly play ADS shooters, it's taking me a lot to adjust
How would it explain is kdr when every single person has the same aiming issue? The game isn't even a week old. So everyone is a new player to it.

There's nothing wrong with calling things out. It's the added hyperbole, like calling something broken when it isn't the case, that makes discussion turn into defending a game.

If it's annoying you, it's obviously a little serious to you too.

If the game has a different aim assist than normal, where are all these blanket statements about other fans of other consoles and blah blah blah coming from? Why is this something always being said as if generalization are something that getting free passes on GAF. That's the only part that's serious to me because it's starting to get real annoying.

To all those asking if "looking into it" means 343 confirms aiming is broken now if you'd take the time to read Ghosts post (whos was cited by 343 themselves) you will see 343 "PRO" team saying it is a design choice.

So yea they"re pretty much confirming aiming is broken by saying it was a design choice as in fast acceleration/deadzone changes were done purposely and its not a bug.

Saying this as an outsider who came to the same conclusion by just reading the OP post until i read Ghosts post and 343 responses myself

Just because you don't like a design choice
Doesn't mean that's it's broken. Maybe it's because I have the elite controler but I'm
Not not having trouble landing head shots. I will say the aiming feels different but it's not game breaking at all.

Honestly the thread title seems very inflammatory like you want to start drama. Saying it will be looked into and another Dev Saying its a design decision in no way shape or form equals broken.

What's misleading about it if there is an actual issue with the way the aiming is in the game? Maybe it's not broken, but if it's off its off. No one has been bashing Halo harder than actual Halo fans? Who even found this issue in the game though? Come on....

Are people even reading what they are writing anymore?

And as for the last part I bolded, there is a massive difference from people who own the game and are offering constructive criticism to those who maybe don't and are bashing the game as you put it. What do you think is going on with the majority in this thread?

Gator86

Similarly in Splatoon if you use the analog stick controls the y-axis moves faster than the x. Or maybe vice versa. Either way, seems like this should be pretty easy to get right.

I thought something felt a little weird when playing Halo but didn't notice it nearly as much as Splatoon. Goddamn, the aiming in that game felt like shit.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
If aiming is broken then how are people still so accurate? because it doesn't feel broken to me, aiming seems fine IMO

It feels different then beta, which seemed perfect to me, but its too early for me to say this aiming is worse. It's taking an adjustment but I'm not having any trouble landing shots.

E92 M3

I've been getting so frustrated with the aiming and just gave up until this is fixed. Every single Halo game I've excelled at. In H5 it's like I am a toddler trying to play a shooter. Big struggle.

dose

Going solely off that video, and using this diagram....

rEVfL5q.png

...so if you were already aiming at A and wanted to aim at B it would be quicker to get there via path 2 than the direct path 1? If that's the case, that definitely sounds borked.

witness

I didn't notice anything wrong when playing multi. I'm as shitty as I am in any other shooter and I really enjoy the mechanics and feel. So if it's supposed to be better then that's fine, but this is not a Uncharted 3 situation and I am highly suspicious of anyone claiming so.

Dear lord, just change the title already so people can stop crying about its apparently malicious intent.
"Halo 5 players discover aiming anomaly. 343 acknowledges and investigates"
Big fucking difference lol
Edit: oh it was actually changed when I was writing this to something even better lol

Dear lord, just change the title already so people can stop crying about its apparently malicious intent.
"Halo 5 players discover aiming bug. 343 acknowledges and investigates"
Big fucking difference lol
Edit: oh it was actually changed when I was writing this to something even better lol

its not a bug

It's not off. It's exactly as designed/programmed, correct? What's off to everyone is their thumbs. Not broken. Not off. Not wrong... or right.

It's working as designed. If it doesn't feel good to you the problem isn't the game. The vast majority isn't having any problem.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It feels bad, IMO. I feel like I'm fighting the controls to play the game.

I felt the same but literally today played a couple of games and felt like it had clicked overnight. Stick at it!

I don't understand how people are being bothered by thread title.

Drama is not going to make the game less good than it is and a little internet fire can do a lot of good for publisher awareness and priorities.

I think it's a bullshit title because it reads like 343 have been inept in some way but in fact they've (as explained) designed, tested and delivered a system that they feel suits their game. It's hard for me not to perceive this forum as being down on everything Xbox, so perhaps it's through the eye of the beholder but I think people should give 343 a break, H5 is great!

"Halo 5's aiming is broken" is not the same as "343 have come up with a new aiming system for Halo5, it might take some adjustment."

Finaj

I've been getting so frustrated with the aiming and just gave up until this is fixed. Every single Halo game I've excelled at. In H5 it's like I am a toddler trying to play a shooter. Big struggle.

This is because H5 has lower aim assist than the other games. "Fixing" this is not going to improve your aiming that much.

This is what I've been saying in the OT. Aiming is cripplingly slow and awkward compared to other shooters, even past Halo games.

I won't play the game until they fix this and up the maximum sensitivity.

This is because H5 has lower aim assist than the other games. "Fixing" this is not going to improve your aiming that much.

So you're saying we're all bad? Please. It's an issue when Halo 5 has vastly different sensitivity than other shooters on the market.

343 Industries, everybody.

Fucking hacks that have ruined Halo.

I'm on like mission 13 now? Yea, you can cut the crap. Halo has never been this fucking amazing. Halo 5 comfortably leaves every other Halo title in the dust as far as I'm concerned. The gameplay is by leaps and bounds better than anything the franchise has ever seen, and I'm loving - and I do mean absolutely loving - that they chose to 'go there' with the story. If people have read the books and other lore what's happening is even more exciting and makes complete sense.

I love the direction they are taking the franchise, and it brings a whole new meaning to the term 'reclaimer. What's transpiring in the game's story changes the halo universe forever, just as they said it would. If there were ever any doubt at all that Halo was in the right hands, Halo 5 has effectively answered and confirmed that nobody but 343i should be handling this franchise's future.

If you can't easily adapt, I can see why you might be frustrated enough to call it broken, but, clearly, there is a healthy number of players who don't share this problem when they can achieve consistently good performance. That said, I do think offering more options for sensitivity and acceleration is reasonable and fair.

Are people even reading what they are writing anymore?

And as for the last part I bolded, there is a massive difference from people who own the game and are offering constructive criticism to those who maybe don't and are bashing the game as you put it. What do you think is going on with the majority in this thread?

Not many are offering constructive criticism but are mostly confirming if they are okay with it or others basically posting that they've realized how much more they sucks because of it (right?) but that's not my point. Regardless if it's criticism or not or straight bashing... Generalizing folks by saying, those who are coming super harsh on 343 are people who own other consoles or this is just GAF as a whole lot need to stop. I've been reading every Halo thread to learn about the game and it seems that jump is always assumed the minute someone criticize the game or make some hyperbolic statement; it's this GAF shitting on MS week or some other fanboy stuff? Where is this even coming from?

Anyways... I'm over this. I wanted to see in which way the aim was broken and learned it wasn't exactly broken but a design choice.

Some people need to realize they're not near as good as they thought or that years of CoD and Destiny have taken a toll on their skill. Halo 5 has a very, very high skill ceiling that will be humbling a lot for the foreseeable future. It's glorious.

BriGuy

I feel like this thread would be half as long if the OP used the word "janky" instead of broken. I think most of us got the implication anyway. Put the pitchforks and torches away.

theWB27

If the game has a different aim assist than normal, where are all these blanket statements about other fans of other consoles and blah blah blah coming from? Why is this something always being said as if generalization are something that getting free passes on GAF. That's the only part that's serious to me because it's starting to get real annoying.

Because you'll always have troll posts. Those are the easiest to scroll on by. But when you get a head line that's calling something broken, when it's not, that leads some people to become defenders instead discussing that there may be a problem.

I don't know how the hyperbole doesn't annoy you more. The "lets outrage!" scene has diluted what it means for something in games to be actually broken.

BokehKing

Banned
How would it explain is kdr when every single person has the same aiming issue? The game isn't even a week old. So everyone is a new player to it.
Geezus....maybe halo fans are use to this type of aiming and he is not? I can only reply to you with the same response so many ways

Programming-wise, what's the science in a problem like this. Is this an a2+b2=c2 matter? Taking the combined distance determined by the input from each axis and throwing them together? Just a random thought. It would also explain the speed flip after passing 45 degrees on either axis.
Going solely off that video, and using this diagram....

rEVfL5q.png

...so if you were already aiming at A and wanted to aim at B it would be quicker to get there via path 2 than the direct path 1? If that's the case, that definitely sounds borked.
Something along the lines of this, but specifically if 1 = 2 in travel time.

BokehKing

Banned
Some people need to realize they're not near as good as they thought or that years of CoD and Destiny have taken a toll on their skill. Halo 5 has a very, very high skill ceiling that will be humbling a lot for the foreseeable future. It's glorious.
Is that another way of saying November 6th

If people get frustrated they will return to destiny or COD or battlefront

I for one like it. The aiming is better in this than anything in any previous Halo. I have the same resume as Op as well, so I don't speak from inexperience.

theWB27

Geezus....maybe halo fans are use to this type of aiming and he is not? I can only reply to you with the same response so many ways

If I'm not mistaken. ..other halos didn't have this. So it's a first for everyone and if that's the case....the other players k/D isn't because of the aiming.

Everyone is on equal footing.

Top Bottom