• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played this game but it seems that there are valid complaints, from what I read here, and from videos posted. Some people are able to overlook these issues or not notice them at all, while others are very well bothered by them. I've played plenty of games that have terrible aiming mechanics, with some awful settings for accelerating with the analog sticks or even moving diagonally (this is often the biggest issue, except for the Call of Duty franchise).

Without regard to specifically Halo 5, I'd like to make a general statement: Getting used to a game's aiming system doesn't automatically suggest it's greatly optimized. It just means that if the settings are poor, then you just adapted to a poor setup.

Orayn

no, this is what i've gathered from people complaining

-they want to aim really well without any playtime
-they want the aiming to be easy but with no aim-assist (bragging rights of course)
-they want little aim-acceleration but steady controls with low sensitivity for micro-movements

you know, they want auto-aim basically, but with the self-gratification of thinking they did it themselves.

Or they're just wondering why the aiming is qualitatively different from the other Halo games including the beta of Halo 5.

That's how I'd describe myself, at least. I don't think it's horrible or unusable and I'm adjusting to it just fine, but it is pretty weird compared to what I was expecting.

So I don't get it. Are you mad because there are player that can aim better then you in Halo game? The game is not easy to aim. So practice and you will get better. Its not like that players hitting their shots have super powers. Everyone is on a level playing field.

If they made the screen super dark and hard to see with animated gifs constantly moving across your field of view, that would definitely make the game harder to play and increase the skill gap. But that doesnt make it a good decision.

A silly and extreme example, but I think it makes the point. More difficult is not necessarily better. Programming the curves to make your game harder to use is not necessarily better. Controls should always be intuitive and smooth.
It's the reduced auto aim and magnetism that increase the actual skill needed. Theyre not hurting you, they're just taking training wheels away. Making aim acceleration crazy is just a handicap that people have to compensate for. Rather than taking off the training wheels, it's deflating your tire.

no, this is what i've gathered from people complaining

-they want to aim really well without any playtime
-they want the aiming to be easy but with no aim-assist (bragging rights of course)
-they want little aim-acceleration but steady controls with low sensitivity for micro-movements

you know, they want auto-aim basically, but with the self-gratification of thinking they did it themselves.

If you really believe this then youre clearly just being stubborn and ignoring what people are actually saying.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
hey guys i'm planning to sell my wii u tomorrow and old xbox. with 20+ games
in exchange to get the xbox elite bundle... yes i love halo THAT much .
(also reason i'm selling my wii u is that i'm sick of waiting for zelda and it's going to launch on nintendo NX anyway.and now i can still get cash for it )

oh and basically i'm getting about 399 euro in totally .. for it

anyway .. anyone willing to tell me what exclusive game i really have to get ?

tomb raider
forza horizon 2
killer instinct
halo

that is as far as i can go :p

GavinGT

Banned
(also reason i'm selling my wii u is that i'm sick of waiting for zelda and it's going to launch on nintendo NX anyway.and now i can still get cash for it )

tomb raider
forza horizon 2
killer instinct
halo

You should get Sunset Overdrive and a Wendy's baked potato. Hold off on the chocolate frosty until they have the aim acceleration thing worked out.

SwolBro

Banned
If they made the screen super dark and hard to see with animated gifs constantly moving across your field of view, that would definitely make the game harder to play and increase the skill gap. But that doesnt make it a good decision.

A silly and extreme example, but I think it makes the point. More difficult is not necessarily better. Programming the curves to make your game harder to use is not necessarily better. Controls should always be intuitive and smooth.
It's the reduced auto aim and magnetism that increase the actual skill needed. Theyre not hurting you, they're just taking training wheels away. Making aim acceleration crazy is just a handicap that people have to compensate for. Rather than taking off the training wheels, it's deflating your tire.

If you really believe this then youre clearly just being stubborn and ignoring what people are actually saying.

i don't think you understand how this stuff works, and none of us really do, lets be honest.

But I'm going to try here: you want lower aim-assist, and lower magnetism, ok fine but that's going to cause people to decrease their look sensitivity. If they decrease their look sensitivity then they can't turn worth shit and that is where aim-acceleration comes into play.

Now, i have no idea as a developer how to get around this, and i'm sure it's difficult and a fine balancing act. What it seems to me is you can't have best of both worlds.

Either you have higher aim-assist and magnetism that allows you higher sensitivity for look speed because micromovements will be assisted by aim-assist/magnetism or you have reduced aim-assist/magnetism but higher acceleration because you need to reduce your sensitivity in order for you to be more accurate on your micro-movements. Acceleration is there for you to be able to turn around fast enough or execute a faster movement and not be handicapped completely.

Head.spawn

Or they're just wondering why the aiming is qualitatively different from the other Halo games including the beta of Halo 5.

That's how I'd describe myself, at least. I don't think it's horrible or unusable and I'm adjusting to it just fine, but it is pretty weird compared to what I was expecting.

The old aiming system in older Halo games needs to for a quick death. Nobody wants to admit it, but it was the equivalent of 'Easy'-controls in current Forza games, where the game wants to dictate and push/pull where it thinks you should be slowing your aim at.

That was way worse IMO.

What it seems to me is you can't have best of both worlds.

And yet everyone seemed pretty happy with the beta aiming, both pros and general audience alike. We'ce already played the best of both worlds.
Nobody is asking for the return of old Halo controls thick with auto aim and other nonsense.

My issue isn't with the reduced auto-aim, I just don't like the new acceleration curve very much. It feels overly sensitive in all the wrong ways.

Yep that's all it boils down to.

Orayn

The old aiming system in older Halo games needs to for a quick death. Nobody wants to admit it, but it was the equivalent of 'Easy'-controls in current Forza games, where the game wants to dictate and push/pull where it thinks you should be slowing your aim at.

That was way worse IMO.

My issue isn't with the reduced auto-aim, I just don't like the new acceleration curve very much. It feels overly sensitive in all the wrong ways and makes it really easy to overshoot targets. I'd happily trade the aim/turn business for a flatter curve with more consistency, even if it limits me somewhat.

BradC00

ive noticed it too but i thought it was just an issue of there being a player behind walls where your turning slows down when near aiming on a player. not as bad as the dude in the video

213372bu

Banned

oh and basically i'm getting about 399 euro in totally .. for it

tomb raider
forza horizon 2
killer instinct
halo

Killer Instinct is free and you get a rotatable character to try out every week, so you can definitely try it out like that before you buy it. Just know it's a fighting game though, and you might be stuck with a role that isn't your style or a character with higher-level execution moves.

Haven't gotten my hands on Halo 5 post-beta or Tomb Raider, but Forza Horizon 2 is great though. Definitely recommended.

SwolBro

Banned
And yet everyone seemed pretty happy with the beta aiming, both pros and general audience alike.
Nobody is asking for the return of old Halo controls thick with auto aim and other nonsense.

other nonsense? you're still going to be only as good as you can be. Nothing will change. Maybe you'll feel a slight bit more comfortable, maybe. I'm still doubting a majority of the people complaining though, it's not enough playtime to make those impressions.

I actually believe more aim-assist is better, it allows people to increase look sensitivity and not deal with aim-acceleration. you seem to think it's "nonsense" so therefore you have to deal with very low look speeds and higher aim-acceleration OR (and this would make it utter crap) no aim-acceleration and have everyone deal with shooting endlessly without hitting headshots or moving like a turtle.

Btw we are looking at this thread and the complaint(s), I'm just not really qualified to comment and it's tricky since there's a mix of "feel" related stuff in here that could be wholly or partially subjective and not everyone is talking about the same issue . However it's at least simple enough to objectively analyze the numbers. More this week.

I actually missed your reply until just now. Thanks so much for popping in and and letting us know you guys are at the very least checking it out, I understand you're not in a position to say anything definitive but I appreciate you using your position to get it to the right people

That puts me much more at ease knowing that you guys are aware of the aim acceleration complaints. And do be aware that OP hasn't been updated, that issue is actually a non-issue. We've been chatting about another issue.

If you are getting out played now. You will still get out played if they adjust the aiming. That is all.

other nonsense? you're still going to be only as good as you can be. Nothing will change. Maybe you'll feel a slight bit more comfortable, maybe. I'm still doubting a majority of the people complaining though, it's not enough playtime to make those impressions.

I actually believe more aim-assist is better, it allows people to increase look sensitivity and not deal with aim-acceleration. you seem to think it's "nonsense" so therefore you have to deal with very low look speeds and higher aim-acceleration OR (and this would make it utter crap) no aim-acceleration and have everyone deal with shooting endlessly without hitting headshots or moving like a turtle.

Um...exactly. I'm not complaining because I want to get a higher score and have a larger e-peen, that's ridiculous. I want the controls to feel more intuitive and yes, more comfortable! It's about the controls not being frustrating!
If the controls feel better for me, theyll feel better for most people, and ill end up still getting the same scores because everyones skill will shift accordingly. It's not about scores, its about the game feeling good to play and satisfying to use. I think 343 can get behind that.

And I'm confused that you're putting the idea down so much in this thread and yet now you tell me you want more aim assist. That's like, a whole new can of worms.

GavinGT

Banned

I've got 26 hours in the game. I think that's more than enough time to adjust to being able to point my gun.

SwolBro

Banned
I've got 26 hours in the game. I think that's more than enough time to adjust to being able to point my gun.

right, but aim acceleration only kicks in at certain points, majority of halo fights are below those points aren't they? it has nothing to do with you pointing your gun probably 99% of the time. i mean halo fights are micro-movement oriented.

anyways, maybe it truly is a big deal for some of you. i'm going to hold on for now and say it's an over-exaggeration and a knee-jerk reaction for most. maybe i'm wrong, only waiting for 343i to investigate at this juncture can shine any light on it.

And I'm confused that you're putting the idea down so much in this thread and yet now you tell me you want more aim assist.

Because i explained to you how i thought it works. maybe you didn't read that and just registered AIM ASSIST AIM ASSIST BAD BAD BAD BAD

Played the game last night at a friends house, looked terrible but the worst part was the controller.

Felt like killzone2, there is either severe lag or momentum system where it takes a while to get your gun to start moving. Not sure why it has such a delay since it's a 60fps game.

Felt terrible,

GavinGT

Banned
Played the game last night at a friends house, looked terrible but the worst part was the controller.

Felt like killzone2, there is either severe lag or momentum system where it takes a while to get your gun to start moving. Not sure why it has such a delay since it's a 60fps game.

Felt terrible,

This is how my brother felt when he tried it. I was trying to sell him on an Xbox One and after an hour or so we ended up just switching to splitscreen on MCC.

Because i explained to you how i thought it works. maybe you didn't read that and just registered AIM ASSIST AIM ASSIST BAD BAD BAD BAD

No I get it, it just made me realize that I think we're not actually having quite the same conversation. At least, we don't have the same goals or focus in mind. I did try to clarify that.

lol I caused a giant fight between me and friend yesterday, halo is his baby and he thinks I am just dogging the Xbox one. Couldn't be further from the truth. I read fall of reach novels all the way to ghosts of onyx. I adore halo but playing that game made my heart sink it felt that bad.

Slow and sluggish aiming. If I moved the stick fast enough to either side I could hear the analog stick hit the side of the controller before he moved on screen.

Also I know this isn't the place but this game is not a big jump from 4-5 in the graphics department that I needed. Horrible lack of aa and low poly environments. It does have the same great colorful art style that is a breath of fresh air compared to dull colored fps shooters.

E92 M3

It's funny to me, Halo 2 had a healthy amount of AA and magnetism yet most people didn't get past level 25. Skill gap existed. Why not just let H5 play great? Pros will be still be pros.

lol I caused a giant fight between me and friend yesterday, halo is his baby and he thinks I am just dogging the Xbox one. Couldn't be further from the truth. I read fall of reach novels all the way to ghosts of onyx. I adore halo but playing that game made my heart sink it felt that bad.

Slow and sluggish aiming. If I moved the stick fast enough to either side I could hear the analog stick hit the side of the controller before he moved on screen.

Also I know this isn't the place but this game is not a big jump from 4-5 in the graphics department that I needed. Horrible lack of aa and low poly environments. It does have the same great colorful art style that is a breath of fresh air compared to dull colored fps shooters.

Either you used a broken controller or your friend's TV has awful input lag because that simply isn't an issue. The issue here apparently is awkward look acceleration (though I haven't had this problem either). I think the aiming is perfect.

BokehKing

Banned
It's funny to me, Halo 2 had a healthy amount of AA and magnetism yet most people didn't get past level 25. Skill gap existed. Why not just let H5 play great? Pros will be still be pros.
Exactly, I don't see how fixing it will affect the pros at all

Computer

This is how my brother felt when he tried it. I was trying to sell him on an Xbox One and after an hour or so we ended up just switching to splitscreen on MCC.

If you are getting out played now. You will still get out played if they adjust the aiming. The skill gap will remain. That is all.

Nutter

I feel the issue if there is one is more apparent when zoomed in. I started to pay attention last night after reading all the complaints, but prior to that I guess I just adjusted to it.

Nialrot

Well you probably can attribute some of the skill gap to button glitches and the like. BXR, quad shooting, map glitches played a huge part in competitive Halo 2 as well as rampant cheating lol.

If you are getting out played now. You will still get out played if they adjust the aiming. The skill gap will remain. That is all.

I dont think people are complaining to make the skill gap more narrow. That's not the goal here, you are mistaken. This is not a thread of "noobs begging for the game to be easier so they can be pros too."

The intent is to make the game more enjoyable and less frustrating to use and allowing the player to feel more in control of their actions. The strange acceleration curve is unwieldy and frustrating. It's perfectly obvious that the skill gap would basically stay the same and that someone who sucks would still suck.

213372bu

Banned

Which is weird to me, because Halo's AA has more or less always been the same curve with slight tweaks all the way up until Reach. That's something that Halo has done well, imo.

Even in 4, the AA was pretty much exactly the same as a Reach.

And the beta didn't seem to me much different from past titles.

Not sure why people are complaining about a disadvantage to "pros" if an adjustment was made. Most "pros" have been acclimated for over a decade now.

E92 M3

because what if the number of people complaining vs the number of people enjoying it don't make it logical? i reckon the amount of people truly bothered by this aren't even in the thousands.

Most people won't even know issue. They'll think the game plays weird and quit. 343's main goal should be to sustain a population, not cater to pros.

All they got to do is make the aim like the beta. PROBLEM FIXED, I have an elite controller and I've been playing on the aggressive sensitivity curve and that's helped a bunch but people without the controller shouldn't have to deal with sub par controls.

E92 M3

Well you probably can attribute some of the skill gap to button glitches and the like. BXR, quad shooting, map glitches played a huge part in competitive Halo 2 as well as rampant cheating lol.

And Halo 5 has its own unique mechanics. Obviously not talking about cheating. Most cheaters were in the 40s.

I still don't get this thread. I swear, if they mess with the aim assist and make it easier, I'm not going to be happy. This all started because some dude did a stupid test, everyone was oblivious and loved it beforehand. I said it before and I'll say it again, this is the best Halo has ever felt. Stop trying to ruin a good thing.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Btw we are looking at this thread and the complaint(s), I'm just not really qualified to comment and it's tricky since there's a mix of "feel" related stuff in here that could be wholly or partially subjective and not everyone is talking about the same issue . However it's at least simple enough to objectively analyze the numbers. More this week.

All I know is, that (excluding lagged games) I could hit people far far easier in the beta than I can now. I'm fairly confident it's the fiercely reduced aim assist it I'm sure the OP listed issue could be contributing.

XenoRaven

But then how will I stroke my ego by telling people to "get gud"?

nOoblet16

well if top players like it, it must be good for the 99.99% who are not.

make it optional for all i care.

Top players also prefer things like trigger lock, but your average players might not prefer that and would want full triggers, they might also prefer really tall analogue sticks. If Microsoft went the route of 343 to design the elite controller then you wouldn't have all those options but rather just locked triggers, one kind of analogue stick.

Another example being how some players use claw grip because it allows complete control, but the developers don't make their control scheme to specifically fit just the claw grip despite it giving superior control.

Point being it's always good to give gamers options even if they are inferior in some ways, rather than making them adjust to what the 1% prefers to use.

I still don't get this thread. I swear, if they mess with the aim assist and make it easier, I'm not going to be happy. This all started because some dude did a stupid test, everyone was oblivious and loved it beforehand. I said it before and I'll say it again, this is the best Halo has ever felt. Stop trying to ruin a good thing.

Seems you're not up to date, and zero people are asking for more aim assist. Here is the chain of events:

1. Game is released, some people (including myself) notice and post about the strange aim acceleration.
2. Few days later, this thread. OP posts an aiming related 'bug' that turns out to be just a mistake.
3. Many people start to use the thread to talk about the more legitimate aiming issue we've been aware of since launch, the incredibly narrow acceleration curve.
4. Stinkles replies that they're looking into it.

No, nobody wants to go back to the old Halo method. No, nobody wants more aim assist or increased bullet magnetism. Yes, most of us actually still enjoy the game in spite of the issue. It's just about the spazzy acceleration curve.

Rapidly accelerating at 80% is only half the problem. The other half is in the first 30%. Hardly moves at all.

Yep, just gotta smooth it out a bit. Not completely, but more than now.

Spasm

All I know is, that (excluding lagged games) I could hit people far far easier in the beta than I can now. I'm fairly confident it's the fiercely reduced aim assist it I'm sure the OP listed issue could be contributing.

I think you mean aim accel? There's the same amount of aim assist that was in the beta, which is to say, not much. And that's the way we want to keep it. Low aim accel, or shallow sensitivity curve is making it so subtle aim adjustments are barely registered.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Seems you're not up to date, and zero people are asking for more aim assist. Here is the chain of events:

1. Game is released, some people (including myself) notice and post about the strange aim acceleration changes since the beta.
2. Few days later, this thread. OP posts an aiming related 'bug' that turns out to be just a mistake.
3. Many people start to use the thread to talk about the more legitimate aiming issue we've been aware of since launch, the incredibly narrow acceleration curve.

No, nobody wants to go back to the old Halo method. No, nobody wants more aim assist or increased bullet magnetism. Yes, most of us actually still enjoy the game in spite of the issue.

I want more aim assist. It doesn't have to be a LOT, but it needs a slight increase. We're not playing with Keyboard and mouse remember, we're on consoles. A shooter needs SOME aim assist by default. This game has virtually none.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

thank you for the update.

I want more aim assist. It doesn't have to be a LOT, but it needs a slight increase. We're not playing with Keyboard and mouse remember, we're on consoles. A shooter needs SOME aim assist by default. This game has virtually none.

aim assist and bullet magnetism are actually pretty good in halo 5.

GavinGT

Banned
I think you mean aim accel? There's the same amount of aim assist that was in the beta, which is to say, not much. And that's the way we want to keep it. Low aim accel, or shallow sensitivity curve is making it so subtle aim adjustments are barely registered.

I wouldn't call this shallow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmGc_rpjGzo

Maybe at the beginning of the curve. But there I'd say it's too shallow and then it spikes up too quickly. The sweet spot is too narrow.

EDIT: I see we agree.

1. Game is released, some people (including myself) notice and post about the strange aim acceleration.

No, nobody wants to go back to the old Halo method. No, nobody wants more aim assist or increased bullet magnetism. Yes, most of us actually still enjoy the game in spite of the issue.

Thanks for the run down,but not two posts before and after someone is asking for aim assist, haha. I don't know, I guess it's not perfect, but the aim acceleration seems necessary to me because of how much faster this game is than previous Halos. If they make minor adjustments then whatever, but I'm really diggin the feel in general.

New002

Has anybody with an elite controller, for whom this is a serious issue, tried switching their right thumbstick to the "smooth" curve? I just noticed it today and am curious to hear if it at least helps alleviate things a bit.

GavinGT

Banned
Thanks for the run down,but not two posts before and after someone is asking for aim assist, haha. I don't know, I guess it's not perfect, but the aim acceleration seems necessary to me because of how much faster this game is than previous Halos. If they make minor adjustments then whatever, but I'm really diggin the feel in general.

I'd totally sacrifice the ability to do a ninja-quick 180 turn for being able to jam the stick momentarily in a close firefight and not go way off my mark.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Has anybody with an elite controller, for whom this is a serious issue, tried switching their right thumbstick to the "smooth" curve? I just noticed it today and am curious to hear if it at least helps alleviate things a bit.

"Smooth" curve makes diagonals even worse, now I use "Agressive" curve and the long stick for better precision, and I'm fine with Halo 5's aim system at 10 sensibility.

Top Bottom