• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

Zombine

Banned
You're blaming the lack of aim assist with this bug.

It's a minor bug, but the lack of aim assist is the biggest change.

I fear that this bug is getting overblown because people can't adjust to the lack of aim assist.

I'm gonna hop on halo 5 someday and see that they made the aiming easier than halo 2 because people can't deal with less aim assist...

Then I will cry.

I play most of my shooters on PC dude, it's not a "dirty casual" complaint. It already feels shit going from m/kb to controller regularly, this is even more of a battle. I still get 2.0+ KD playing 5 and my placement is good, but I'm looking for aiming that is at least equivalent to the other games. It's not asking much.

GavinGT

Banned
I understand expressing concerns over things people don't like, but seems like these are blown way out of proportions. Calling 343i hacks and what not. Almost feels like some want to take Halo down with threads like this. I got burned by shitty MP of MCC too, but c'mon guys.

We love Halo. We just want to air our dissatisfaction so that 343 decides to do something about it.

I play most of my shooters on PC dude, it's not a "dirty casual" complaint. It already feels shit going from m/kb to controller regularly, this is even more of a battle. I still get 2.0+ KD playing 5 and my placement is good, but I'm looking for aiming that is at least equivalent to the other games. It's not asking much.

So its the lack of aim assist.

RSB

Banned
You're blaming the lack of aim assist with this bug.

It's a minor bug, but the lack of aim assist is the biggest change.

I fear that this bug is getting overblown because people can't adjust to the lack of aim assist.

I'm gonna hop on halo 5 someday and see that they made the aiming easier than halo 2 because people can't deal with less aim assist...

Then I will cry.
Seriously, lowering the aim-assist is one of the best changes they made for Halo 5. Feels closer to Halo CE and that's awesome. The aim-assist in Halo 2/Reach/4 was just too much.

SilentRob

"The aiming feels different than in previous Halo games"
"We'll look into it"

turns into

"Aiming is Broken, 343 explicitly said so!" Alright.

Zombine

Banned
So its the lack of aim assist.

No not really. I'm still getting headshots almost exclusively. I just feel like something is kind of weird with the axis. Like I said, I still play fine, I just wish this weird feeling wouldn't be so prevalent.

When someone asked me how the game was, my complaint wasn't "man this game is the worst there is no aim assist!" I said "something is really weird with my controller. I don't aim right."

kneePat

I understand expressing concerns over things people don't like, but seems like these are blown way out of proportions. Calling 343i hacks and what not. Almost feels like some want to take Halo down with threads like this. I got burned by shitty MP of MCC too, but c'mon guys.

I don't even own an X1, but at this point it is very evident that there is a very clear and implicit motive in forwarding this narrative about Halo, MS, and 343i in many threads like this. The best part? Comparing Halo's aiming to fucking Uncharted 3 pre-patch (something verifiable, broken, and evident on this very forum's archives). It's like people are pushing an agenda without any recompense, but, simply out of nothing but sheer emotional investment. Sad. Maybe they sleep better at night?

VinFTW

I wasn't calling you a dirty casual.

And if anything it would be even worse for someone like you who's so used to kb/m.

Zombine

Banned
I wasn't calling you a dirty casual.

And if anything it would be even worse for someone like you who's so used to kb/m.

No I know you weren't. I was making fun of myself. I edited my post to clarify how the problem feels to me. I legit thought my sticks weren't working right, not the game.

GavinGT

Banned
Seriously, lowering the aim-assist is one of the best changes they made for Halo 5. Feels closer to Halo CE and that's awesome. The aim-assist in Halo 2/Reach/4 was just too much.

I play Halo CE regularly and it feels nothing like it.

I don't even own an X1, but at this point it is very evident there is a very clear motive in the desired narrative of these threads. The best part? Comparing Halo's aiming to fucking Uncharted 3 pre patch. It's like people are pushing an agenda without any recompense out of nothing but sheer emotional investment. Sad. Maybe they sleep better at night?

There is no Agenda, there is a problem with the aiming, 343 acknowledged it. Are some people taking it too far? Yes, sort of like your agenda theory. At least the people complaining about the game actually own it and played it.

Kssio_Aug

Also, I'm kind of sick of all these bashing in every single Halo or 343 thread. This title should be changed.

They have not recognized it is broken just because they're gonna look into it.

For Christ sake... For many (and I totally agree) this is one of the best Halo games if not the best, especially gameplay wise! They also are shipping a game with way more content than what we use to get nowadays paying the same price. Also they listened to a lot of complaints since Halo 4 to bring Halo 5 as it is today. That's enough for me to say they're not those awful developers some people like to propagate here!

RSB

Banned
I play Halo CE regularly and it feels nothing like it.
Well, it's the lowest aim-assist since Halo CE, that's close enough to me, LOL (yeah, I know the feel of the aiming is not literally identical or anything) I still play Halo CE regularly too BTW (still the best)

They'll get right on it after fixing MCC.

image.php

Edit: Beaten by many miles.

soultron

Banned
I just want to know what the pro player argument for this design decision is. From reading reddit, I gather that it's better control at all ranges. I'm not really understanding how changing the aim acceleration and cap on each axis (and when combining the X and Y axes, moving the cursor on diagonals) helps this?

It's also hard to tell (from the example in the OP) that aim assist stickiness might help the issue. I've not played H5 so I don't know if there's aim assist in the MP or not.

Seems like a bit of a wacky decision to me. Would love to hear the actual designers talk about this instead of the pro team guys, honestly.

Herbs

Banned
came for the lols

noticed something while playing but couldn't put my finger on it. still enjoying myself. hopefully they evaluate and adjust if need be.

Blueblur1

This must be why I have trouble moving the reticle sometimes especially when an opponent is moving around a lot on-screen. How did they not catch this before launch????

kneePat

There is no Agenda, there is a problem with the aiming, 343 acknowledged it. Are some people taking it too far? Yes, sort of like your agenda theory. At least the people complaining about the game actually own it and played it.

343 acknowledged it? Or did they acknowledge they would look into it? Don't be fucking dense.

I don't owe you the time of day, junior, but i'll bite... the problem with aiming is not the same as the problem with another game (Uncharted 3). It's obvious from the OP. My agenda theory may be invalid, but I need not read 10 posts into this very thread to see a pattern repeat itself over and over again.

And as far as owning the game is concerned: you have not been around for long enough to have seen the Uncharted 3 broken aim thread. There was a very vocal minority majority that said it was fine, and I amongst many others (TY Papercuts) pleaded that this was not the case until they finally fixed it. I owned the game at that time and tried to show what I meant, rather thanklessly. So I absolutely appreciate that 343i are looking into it.

If the dense people in this very thread had their way UC3's aiming would still be broken, and they would gladly continue to push an agenda to defend their narrative. If its broken its broken, I hope they fix it. But please do not bring up UC3. It shouldn't make you feel better.

No not really. I'm still getting headshots almost exclusively. I just feel like something is kind of weird with the axis. Like I said, I still play fine, I just wish this weird feeling wouldn't be so prevalent.

When someone asked me how the game was, my complaint wasn't "man this game is the worst there is no aim assist!" I said "something is really weird with my controller. I don't aim right."

Fair enough. Hopefully they fix the problem.

Jawmuncher

I haven't really noticed any issues on my side, but please don't increase the aim assist.

Yeha my time with the MP if I noticed anything it's that aim assist isn't as heavy like in prior games. Which I am fine with.
Which is funny since during the Uncharted 3 stuff I knew the aiming was broken there.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
huh? have been playing nonstop, didn't notice shit. This is like so perfect.

Lucifon

The defence force is strong with this thread. I don't understand why people stick up for something which is actually proven to be an issue. A lot of people do have issue with the aiming, some don't, that's just how these things work. By fixing this, they're not suddenly going to destroy the aiming of those who don't have an issue.

Solving this can only be an improvement to the game overall. It's not the aim assist causing it, it's the jarring difference in sensitivity. Some people's minds are able to adapt to that just fine, others can't. For those who it does affect, you can't magically stop it being an issue unless it's solved in the game itself.

I personally know I have felt the issue since the moment I started playing, and it's an incredibly frustrating experience. Imagine feeling like you're battling with the sticks rather than other players. My buddies also all noticed and discussed the issue, but didn't pinpoint what it was. In fact one of my friends just bought a brand new 24 inch monitor because he thought it was the large TV causing him issues. Just because you don't feel the issue, doesn't mean there isn't an issue, and you certainly shouldn't try promote it not being solved for those which do have a problem.

Many fans who have been there since day one, can attest that H5 is not only a great MP game, its also the best playing one since Halo CE in many ways. Plenty of people are getting salty by getting reminded how shitty they really are at playing something that isn't COD or destiny. But I see that the usual suspects are here, so i will bow out.

It must be nice to just convince yourself that anyone who disagrees with you does so only because they are terrible.

I like H5's multiplayer a lot, but the aiming has felt "off"(?) to me since the first time I played it. Been playing since Halo 1 with the same core group of friends and our win ratio together online is above average. I won't say which one is our favorite because it's irrelevant and will only incite flaming, but I will say it's neither Halo 1 nor Halo 5 so that alone invalidates your point.

Hopefully they can get this sorted out quick. If the problem lingers into the Call of Duty/Battlefield period, the game will bleed more players than it would have.

Klyka

Banned
Question:

Is it the actual Y axis that's slower than the X axis, or is it the diagonal movement?
Cause looking at that video it seems both X and Y axis are plenty fast, while the diagonal movement is too slow.

So is the intent for you to use the slow diagonal movement only when you adjust during long/medium range play to hit the head, while they want you to go say right->up->right to quickly put someone in your scopes?

It must be nice to just convince yourself that anyone who disagrees with you does so only because they are terrible.

I like H5's multiplayer a lot, but the aiming has felt "off"(?) to me since the first time I played it. Been playing since Halo 1 with the same core group of friends and our win ratio together online is above average. I won't say which one is our favorite because it's irrelevant and will only incite flaming, but I will say it's neither Halo 1 nor Halo 5 so that alone invalidates your point.

Halo 3 is your favorite.

Certinty

This could explain why I'm bloody awful online, my K/D ratio is something like 0.3.

Compare that to my ratio on other online shooters and past Halos and it doesn't make sense.

maxiell

The off topic stuff is getting really tiring from both sides.

I understand what they were going for, but per GavinGT's description of the problem, it seems like there is actually something unintentional going on besides a lack of aim assist. Halo 5 doesn't need to play or aim like other shooters, but in specific situations I don't understand why the sensitivity is changing on the fly.

Top Bottom