• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

JaggedSac

Many fans who have been there since day one, can attest that H5 is not only a great MP game, its also the best playing one since Halo CE in many ways. Plenty of people are getting salty by getting reminded how shitty they really are at playing something that isn't COD or destiny. But I see that the usual suspects are here, so i will bow out.

Agreed

jtar86

I haven't noticed anything wrong with the aiming. My k/d ratio is right at 3 in Slayer. Aiming feels spot on to me and I've played every Halo since CE.

leeh

It must be nice to just convince yourself that anyone who disagrees with you does so only because they are terrible.

I like H5's multiplayer a lot, but the aiming has felt "off"(?) to me since the first time I played it. Been playing since Halo 1 with the same core group of friends and our win ratio together online is above average. I won't say which one is our favorite because it's irrelevant and will only incite flaming, but I will say it's neither Halo 1 nor Halo 5 so that alone invalidates your point.
Because it has a lack of aim assist. No other console game, that I recall, has done this.

Septic360

Banned
Gotta love this flamebait.

I have even have some rabid Sony fanboy in another website already jumping on the bandwagon talking about the aim being broken. The chap clearly hasn't even played the game.

BokehKing

Banned
My only post in the Halo OT is how I was decent with the BR in H4 but totally suck with it in H5. Hoping this is why.
It just needs tweaking, they over compensated with trying to appease the pros

Not all pro's are built alike, but you know whatever, logic and opinions and all that stuff

Just wanted to chime in here as someone who doesn't even own an XB1 or even care about Halo.

The blatant troll posts (including the title) are pretty disgusting and while I'm not advocating censorship or modding, the fanboyism from people who I'm assuming own another console/PC needs to stop.

I know this happens on all sides, but for whatever reason, on this particular forum, it's more prominently (and consistently) anti Microsoft.

Again, I have no vested interest in this platform (will never own one) but the forum needs to raise the standard because quite frankly, this is getting pretty fucking ridiculous.

Netprints

I haven't had an issue with this. My accuracy is 43% and 80% of my kills are head shots. I don't understand the complainers.

Trup1aya

I'm loving the overreaction from the first page...

Looking into it = confirmation huh?

I haven't noticed anything wrong with the controls myself.

Just wanted to chime in here as someone who doesn't even own an XB1 or even care about Halo.

The blatant troll posts (including the title) are pretty disgusting and while I'm not advocating censorship or modding, the fanboyism from people who I'm assuming own another console/PC needs to stop.

I know this happens on all sides, but for whatever reason, on this particular forum, it's more prominently (and consistently) anti Microsoft.

Again, I have no vested interest in this platform (will never own one) but the forum needs to raise the standard because quite frankly, this is getting pretty fucking ridiculous.

If only.

Just saw on Twitter that 343i and MS have a competition going where you can win a Phillips TV, thought the tag line was too good an opportunity to miss with this thread.

Could someone add it to the OP ;)

oNgOHW3.jpg

kneePat

It's as if they don't even have to try to hide it anymore. Enabling much?

Halo 3 is your favorite.

No, actually. I guess whatever, it's Reach.

Also lack of aim assist is likely the culprit to my feeling the aim is off, but it also feels like it accelerates oddly. I don't think anything is really wrong with H5 multiplayer, was just pointing out how absurd that guys comment was.

Jinaar

I wasn't so hot on launch but yesterday my K/d has gotten Waaaaaay better. My MP experience feels so good now! Basically "git gud" you noobs and quit yurrrr belly aching. Game is a beast!

Klyka

Banned
I'm loving the overreaction from the first page...

Looking into it = confirmation huh?

I haven't noticed anything wrong with the controls myself.

It's like sending an email to the government about how 9/11 totally was an inside job and they answer a standard mail back all "Your input is very valued and we will look into it" and people shout "GOVERNMENT CONFIRMS 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!"

Doran902

Been playing since launch and haven't noticed this issue, been actually doing better online than I did with Halo 4. I play at a 6 sensitivity and find it quite smooth. Not saying anyone is wrong though I could have a differently playstyle than other people.

Blueblur1

Well, it's awful design. It makes the game frustrating to play. I'm always struggling with the reticle. I tried changing the sensitivity because 3 is too slow but 4 is too fast. It's good to know I'm not crazy and its because of some odd design decision .

Is this why I occasionally get a feeling similar to input lag and sluggish aim?

Or is that really just input lag because I have never had it with any game until Halo 5 and wow, is it bad...

I only played a single match, this morning, before going to work.
That was a blast. 5 seconds to find a lobby, 15 more seconds to begin the fight.

I can't wait to go back home tonight.

do you mean at 343? because they did notice it as it's designed that way.

The game was close and open BETA tested too. I have not seen anyone complaining.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
There's also an entirely separate problem with the aiming, which is that the velocity curve has been tampered with. It's something like this:

9QziCsW.png

...instead of a linear relationship. This means you get unexpected bursts of reticle movement. I could theoretically fix this if I bought an Elite controller, as that's one of the tweaking options. But that's crazy.

It's not an issue of narrowing the skill gap, either. I just want consistency.
This.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Very similar to the Uncharted 3 issue it seems. Pretty unforgivable and just goes to show how broken the QA process is even for the absolute top first party blockbuster releases not to catch something so fucking obvious. Or, as usual, perhaps it was caught but ignored.

To this day, I still hate how Naughty Dog "fixed" U3's aiming by offering "alternate aiming" in the options. Yeah, its just a preference to want to aim diagonally. So tip to 343: don't do that. Take your lumps and fix whats broken.

Edit: Oh good, the same "designed this way" shit as U3. Get mad, GAF. Took a while to show ND how fucked they'd made it.

Herbs

Banned
Very similar to the Uncharted 3 issue it seems. Pretty unforgivable and just goes to show how broken the QA process is even for the absolute top first party blockbuster releases not to catch something so fucking obvious. Or, as usual, perhaps it was caught but ignored.

To this day, I still hate how Naughty Dog "fixed" U3's aiming by offering "alternate aiming" in the options. Yeah, its just a preference to want to aim diagonally. So tip to 343: don't do that. Take your lumps and fix whats broken.

it was designed this way.

Z3M0G

do you mean at 343? because they did notice it as it's designed that way.

Yah read more of the thread... so it was a change post-beta and one to improve aiming at distant targets. I can kinda get why it was done this way honestly.

So people won't accept this, rather than attempting to adjust and reep the benefits?

Though giving us options to adjust would be good... unless that would break competitive play by not keeping everyone on equal field?

New002

Interesting. I can honestly say I haven't noticed this, but then again I've been mediocre at Halo since after 2 so I'm probably not as sensitive to it. I've actually been doing better I feel like with this release than with the more recent halos. Maybe it works for me D: ?

Herbs

Banned
Yah read more of the thread... so it was a change post-beta and one to improve aiming at distant targets. I can kinda get why it was done this way honestly.

So people won't accept this, rather than attempting to adjust and reep the benefits?

Though giving us options to adjust would be good... unless that would break competitive play by not keeping everyone on equal field?

It's interesting because the new controller can directly affect this issue as it allows for adjustments on this scale so my guess is that most of them it won't matter to.

these clickbait titles are killing it lately gaf.

"Halo 5's aim is broken" No it just moves slower in one direction, the devs intended it that way, but look like they are revisiting it.

"microsoft has destroyed xbox live" no one guy doesnt like party chats for some reason

i cant wait for today when someone posts "5 things about gamging that totally will destroy your life....you wont believe number 4!"

cheezcake

This could explain why I'm bloody awful online, my K/D ratio is something like 0.3.

Compare that to my ratio on other online shooters and past Halos and it doesn't make sense.

Not sure if this is a troll post or what

but you realise this is how aim works for everyone? so na it doesn't explain your kd, just saying

I knew I wasn't crazy. It felt really off and I couldn't pinpoint it, as it felt like vertical movement was faster or something.

Oh, new page uhhhh

To all those asking if "looking into it" means 343 confirms aiming is broken now if you'd take the time to read Ghosts post (whos was cited by 343 themselves) you will see 343 "PRO" team saying it is a design choice.

So yea they"re pretty much confirming aiming is broken by saying it was a design choice as in fast acceleration/deadzone changes were done purposely and its not a bug.

Saying this as an outsider who came to the same conclusion by just reading the OP post until i read Ghosts post and 343 responses myself

Top Bottom