• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 sales in the UK [Excludes digital sales]

I wonder what's going to happen with Gears of War 4.

Microsoft needs to stop setting up studios centered around one title (Turn 10, 343, The Collective). The only exception is dedicating Rare to pumping out Viva Pinatas.

At least 94% of my friends list is playing it(984ppl) and my circle of friends (all 7 of us) all bought digitally too so there is a real shift.

These sales charts are not even telling half the story any more, it's a new dawn and all you non-digital dinosaurs just don't get it.

94%
15 million-ish XB1
i can confidently say that Halo 5 sold 14.1 million copies in the first week. (13 million digital ofc).

There are literally dozens of people on my friends list playing it.
obfbjZ8.jpg

How some people in This thread are coming off right now.

Microsoft needs to stop setting up studios centered around one title (Turn 10, 343, The Collective). The only exception is dedicating Rare to pumping out Viva Pinatas.

I don't think folks are as burnt out on gears. I was a big xbox in my youth and i always ignored it for halo. Looking forward to getting into it.

Why now, is everyone in here talking about digital now, is it because the game the #'s are effecting?

I noticed this in the metacritic thread too, suddenly it was like "down with metacritic, who needs these numbers anyway, use open critic instead"

For me personally, I think the attach rate for digital would be higher for Halo than what most other AAA games do. Nothing to back this up apart from anecdotal evidence of how many of my friends went retail and how many went digital.

Tomorrow should be interesting, press release incoming no doubt.

I think both Gears of War and Halo will continue to sell millions but they won't be the juggernauts they once were.

jbluzb

Game had to have sold at least 1-2 million copies in the first two days no? World wide?

Waiting tomorrow for the 2 million PR. If we don't hear anything from MS tomorrow, I expect a projected 50% decline from the week 1 NPD sales of Halo 4 just like the case in UK.

Guys no game is a flop nowadays because of digital!!!

My friendslist is full of people playing flopped games!

Not saying Halo 5 is a flop, but underwhelming for a Halo.

Hasney

That's a good question. I firmly believe that Halo and AC have been reactions to the last game in each series not being great, especially at launch as well as being annual. If that's right, Gears should be alright.

Ont

This is hardly a scientific sample, but Halo 5 is now the most played game on my friend list which mainly consists UK players. It used to be Destiny for a long time.

BokehKing

Banned
For me personally, I think the attach rate for digital would be higher for Halo than what most other AAA games do. Nothing to back this up apart from anecdotal evidence of how many of mu friends went retail and how many went digital.

I said the same thing about Destiny last year and got laughed out the thread, digital does not account for as much as we think

MisterR

Guys no game is a flop nowadays because of digital!!!

My friendslist is full of people playing flopped games!

Not saying Halo 5 is a flop, but underwhelming for a Halo.

Yep, a bunch of people were playing 1886 on my friends list. I'm sure at least 75% of those sales were digital. I declare 1886 a huge hit.

Elandyll

Banned
Afaik, for Halo 4, PR (WW numbers) went out 6 days after release (which would comparatively be today), at 12pm PDT, which would be in about 5 1/2 hours as of this post.

I'm guessing we should in theory have something today, tomorrow at the latest.

Head.spawn

So lemme get this straight... If I:

-ignore digital 100% of the digital sales
-Don't count certain games as part of the franchise history, even though you use the words, "franchise history"
-use incomplete data
-ignore other games in the franchise because reasons

Yeah, seems totally legit. Excellent set-up for a niche thread.

The digital apologists pls stahp. I actually thought it was kind of common knowledge on Gaf that digital takes up to only 20% of sales for console.

The title in itself is inflammatory as the OP itself mentions there is no data for Halo 1.

Clearly the title under performed which is likely related to shooter fatigue and a lower console user base

And yet Battlefront and CoD Blops 3 will likely do smashing numbers in week 1.

Um, didn't it use the same engine and pretty much 75% of the same assets? that's what i'm saying.

Hahaha oh wow. You are severely misinformed my friend.

TLoU from the ground up was a new game.

10 million (Uncharted 3) on one platform isn't a sales juggernaut?

The only official number I know is 17.320.000 for all four Uncharted games so far, published in April 2012. That's of course an excellent result, but Halo series amounts to more than 65 million (2014) (sorry for not being able to deliver some more up2date numbers here).

shandy706

Why now, is everyone in here talking about digital now, is it because the game the #'s are effecting?

Doesn't matter the console or the game (in my case). Digital sales are a big chunk now. I buy nearly every single game digitally, as do many on here.

I've even bought the last couple Wii U games I have digitally.....and my Vita games....and X1...and PC of course.

Digital sales should be considered a major part of statistics now. We're just going to toss them?

I'm not too surprised. Halo 4 soured a lot of people on the franchise, including me, and MCC was an unmitigated train wreck. Even if I had an Xbox One I'd have skipped this too.

-Don't count certain games as part of the franchise history, even though you use the words, "franchise history"
-use incomplete data

Nirolak, you've snagged another one.

That's a good question. I firmly believe that Halo and AC have been reactions to the last game in each series not being great, especially at launch as well as being annual. If that's right, Gears should be alright.

GOW Judgment was middling at best, but perhaps absence does make the heart grow fonder. The MCC may have screwed H5 in the end.

zsynqx

That will all depend on it's showing next year. The E3 demo this year didn't exactly set the world on fire ,so if they manage to excite people the way they did at E3 2006 with the original, I see no reason for it to do poorly. Tbh I have limited knowledge of the franchise/it's fanbase so don't know what the general consensus is among them as to how the game is shaping up, but for casuals you need that show stopping E3 demo and Mad World esque trailer to get people excited.

The only official number I know is 17.320.000 for all four Uncharted games so far, published in April 2012. That's of course an excellent result, but Halo series amounts to more than 65 million (2014) (sorry for not being able to deliver some more up2date numbers here).

Uncharted trilogy was at 21 million just before the collection released this year.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/uncharted-series-reaches-21-million-units-sold/1100-6427813/

Hasney

Doesn't matter the console or the game (in my case). Digital sales are a big chunk now. I buy nearly every single game digitally, as do many on here.

I've even bought the last couple Wii U games I have digitally.....and my Vita games....and X1...and PC of course.

Digital sales should be considered a major part of statistics now. We're just going to toss them?

They're not being tossed, but even if it was the highest as to what publishers are saying they account for, it would still be lower than ODSTs physical numbers.

It would be, but Uncharted 3 has not sold 10 million copies on a single platform?!

edit: i guess those are shitty numbers

this forbes article has it at 6

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/03/16/bloodborne-may-be-the-ps4s-salvation-in-2015/

Well, God of Wars 1 through 3 sold 4.4M, 4M and 4.8M across the PS2 and PS3. The Uncharted series has sold 4.8M, 6.5M and 6.6M for its major three installments. Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us has sold about 8.3M copies between its original release and its PS4 remastering.

All of a sudden to some people DD is going to make up a good amount of sales .
DD is going to be 30% the most but lets say 50% which is unheard of for a AAA console game.
It still would be the lowest halo main game since 2 .

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with setting up one studio to manage a property.

I can't imagine working at one myself. Just constantly doing one thing over and over...even though there's tremendous variety within series and someone can move from one job to another to learn more...but there is obviously an appeal to people managing a brand long term. Look at Bungle with destiny or Polyphony with gran turismo.

I don't think it's burnout necessarily, I just think overall the market is more diverse and needs are better met elsewhere for some people in mobile, Facebook, Etc. People talk about these as only affecting handheld or console sales but it will obviously affect core games as well.

Hasney

GOW Judgment was middling at best, but perhaps absence does make the heart grow fonder. The MCC may have screwed H5 in the end.

I agree about Judgement, I think the two things that make Judgement less ofna factor though is that I don't think it sold well (can be corrected on that, working from memory) and unlike MCC and Unity, the launch was pretty smooth.

Ricky_R

Right, i agree but that's after 5 whole titles, maybe 6 after another TLOU.

You keep adding TLOU as if both franchises were the same... Aside from both being in third person and story driven games, they are not really alike. Also, TLOU was ND's idea. They pitched the idea to Sony and they gave the green light.

While ND can't do whatever the hell the please, they seem to enjoy a freedom that hardly any other first party studio has.

Edit: Just noticed the ban.

Why is this constantly getting repeated? There is a trend in regards to digital sales and that is about 25%-30%. It isn't that large a factor. It's been said multiple times now.

shandy706

They're not being tossed, but even if it was the highest as to what publishers are saying they account for, it would still be lower than ODSTs physical numbers.

That's fine.

Doesn't matter to me if H5 doesn't outsell its predecessors. Just saying we really need to start having all sales data, it makes comparisons (as digital gets bigger) nothing but guesswork. Regardless of the game as we move forward.

For me personally, I think the attach rate for digital would be higher for Halo than what most other AAA games do. Nothing to back this up apart from anecdotal evidence of how many of my friends went retail and how many went digital.

Oh you're actually being serious?

Synth

Jesus christ, and to think some people wanted digital only Xbox One to be the standard O_O.

Ummm... the prices of digiital games from MS' store is precisely why some of us wanted the pre-180 standard. You'd have been able to buy that digital copy as a physical item off Amazon or wherever else was selling it cheaper.

Sad to see the physical numbers that low but I'd wager that this is the Halo that has also sold the most digital.

The number of trolls and crocodile tears in this thread, excellent.

EvB

It wouldn't surprise me given the number of hardcore gamers that don't have an xbox vs last gen and that Halo is now basically an annual title.

However, I'd guess those first week's sales will not quite be comparable given that this year the game released on a tuesday.
The UK's game releases track Friday-Friday for sales, but Halo 5 actually released on a Tuesday, so lost trading days due to it.

Halo 3 launched on a Wednesday
Halo 2 on a Friday

Iorv3th

Your mad if you think digital isn't drastically outselling physical.

I can name one person out of a friendship group of 10 people who bought Halo 5 physically rather than digital. That's 10/90% split in physical/digital in my friendship group. I'd say it's a similar story in a lot of other peoples.

Did any of your friends buy the collectors edition that comes with a digital code and was released a week early? Because those would count in this sales data I believe.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That's fine.

Doesn't matter to me if H5 doesn't outsell its predecessors. Just saying we really need to start having all sales data, it makes comparisons (as digital gets bigger) nothing but guesswork. Regardless of the game as we move forward.
There's a difference between "nothing but guesswork" and reasonably informed estimations. We might not have ALL data, but we have enough to understand.

Alucrid

Banned
What if everyone posting about their friends list are actually all on each other's friends list so they're just all talking about the same instance of anecdotal evidence

-use incomplete data

The title is inflammatory, but the point is the same. Halo 5 is the lowest selling instalment in the mainline series in MS' second biggest territory outside of NA in 14 years.

Also, the point about digital sales has been covered dozens of times, but how would you like to go about not ignoring 100% of digital sales? As we have no data to go on, how can it possibly be factored into the conversation?!

leeh

Out of the 15+ constant friends i play online with only 2 of us have gone digital
Lets add up the friend list numbers for digital.

So, so far:
9/10 (me)
+
2/15 (SMOK3Y)
11/25 = 44%

We're at 44% digital.

We all know financial reports are just PR talk. We do the math to reveal the true split.

Hasney

That's fine.

It would be nice. MCV have been trying, but don't get all the numbers.

Top Bottom