• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Havok

Hard to get a great sense of Solace's overall layout from the brief video I've seen so far, but small + symmetric is promising. Looks like a good CTF map, though, and that's something that's been rare lately.

Also very interesting that the killcams/final kill is only seen in Dominion. I think it's a good decision--the mode seems like an explosionfest, so annoyance over having your position given away won't be the only 'crazy' thing happening. The number of power weapons we saw just per base on Longbow terrifies me, though.

Omni

Final Kill Cam.

I skipped around through this. I don't love the aesthetic, feels kinda dark, but the geometry and layout of the map seems good.

On the contrary, I'm inclined to say that the map is probably the most aesthetically pleasing map in Halo's history... Well to me anyway. I've always thought that Forerunner environments could be fleshed out more and I feel it does it (the way contrasts from dark forerunner pieces to overgrown... wow) I can't wait to play it.

TheOddOne

Also very interesting that the killcams/final kill is only seen in Dominion. I think it's a good decision--the mode seems like an explosionfest, so annoyance over having your position given away won't be the only 'crazy' thing happening.
Dammit Havok, get out of my head.

iXF8GHj8vnTbU.gif

i9DXPICiKT48F.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42380896&postcount=7541

;)

Challenges?

Or Commendation progress.

Watched one of the Dominion gameplays from Machinima. Hard to form any type of opinion on the gametype itself as it has a shit ton of elements to it. I really hope that the score to win was just for demoing purposes and not the MM setup though, 3-4 minute games? 3-Plots was set up like that in Reach, and it really ruined the gametype.

Slaker117

Man, I was already super excited for Halo 4 after playing it at PAX, but all the footage released today looks amazing and has raised my hype through the roof. I could spend hours meticulously combing through everything and absorbing every detail. I really should get some sleep though.

Watched one of the Dominion gameplays from Machinima. Hard to form any type of opinion on the gametype itself as it has a shit ton of elements to it.
Yeah. I have no idea how that will shake out. Throwing overshields over an entire team under certain conditions seems like an ad hoc solution to any sort of imbalance, but we'll see. One preview said they liked the 'urgency' compared to the slower, more deliberate pace of other Halo games, but 'urgent' can too often be frantic and sloppy for me.

Watched one of the Dominion gameplays from Machinima. Hard to form any type of opinion on the gametype itself as it has a shit ton of elements to it. I really hope that the score to win was just for demoing purposes and not the MM setup though, 3-4 minute games? 3-Plots was set up like that in Reach, and it really ruined the gametype.
Yeah. I have no idea how that will shake out. Throwing overshields over an entire team under certain conditions seems like an ad hoc solution to any sort of imbalance, but we'll see. One preview said they liked the 'urgency' compared to the slower, more deliberate pace of other Halo games, but 'urgent' can too often be frantic and sloppy for me.

It seems that when the enemy team controls all points, your team gets overshields and stops respawning. (you also have waypoints over your head)
If you aren't able to take a base before your entire team is killed, the game ends.

I'll be gone for a good chunk of the day, so there'll be a lot to catch up.

All I'm gonna say is Shadder's, I expect a round up of the news on your blog. : )

TheOddOne

Or Commendation progress.

There seems to be a progress bar. Still could be Commendations too.

nillapuddin

Oh my god... the hype for this game. I love the holograms detailing where vehicles spawn in. I love the new map and mode. Those SpOps locations look like so much fun to play in!

It seems that when the enemy team controls all points, your team gets overshields and stops respawning. (you also have waypoints over your head)
If you aren't able to take a base before your entire team is killed, the game ends.
That's my understanding too, but my issue is that the mode seems to subscribes to the gameplay philosophy that has been central to CoD and is now central to Halo: do well, do better. So if you rack up some kills, you get rewarded with an ordnance drop to help you kill better. If you level up, you get more tools to level up faster. In the case of Dominion, if you capture a base and upgrade it, it gets more powerful and harder to take back. Which is to say, a team that gets out in front sees their advantage bolstered, and suddenly the losing team is losing faster and harder than they would when the map was 'neutral' at the game's beginning. Throwing them overshields seems like an admission that the mode can get one-sided really fast, so another rule was added after the fact to give the underdogs a compensatory boost. And then it was annoying running into overshielded foes left and right, so they slung targets over them so the winning team can make informed decisions about confrontations. All of which is fine, whatever, but it seems like there might be subtler or more organic ways to slow the game from spiralling out of one team's hands in the first place.

If killcams (sorry, 'Sitrep Replays' or whatever) really are only in Dominion, I'm stumped as to why. I'm not a big fan of all these seemingly arbitrary variations in gameplay. For example, interactions with one kind of object, like a flag, are now radically different from interactions with another, like the ball, when these things used to be handled as identical and consistent: flag, ball, bomb all behaved alike. You now receive infinite ammo in a magic flagnum when you grab the flag... but this doesn't happen in any other context. You now get slowed down when fired upon... unless you have the sword. I'm not one who calls for fictional explanations for every variation or tweak to the mechanics, but it just seems like there's a lot of snippy little rule changes from situation to situation and mode to mode that aren't obvious or easily communicated to players, and which might serve to confuse or frustrate. If you're going to introduce killcams, why not just put them in everything? It reminds me of the variety of the basic gameplay experience in post-TU Reach, and how alienating it became.

These sequences are going to be the new Halo 3 Cortana/Gravemind interludes by your third or fourth playthrough.

TheOddOne

I can already tell I'm going to be bored of it after a single play through. Scripted events are never fun.
The first level is pretty linear and has some scripted bits. The rest of the levels (that were shown) however are all open according to reports, level three "Forerunner" seemed to impressed a lot of people.

Pop

IMO best MP vids

Machinima

Halo 4 Dominion Mode Multiplayer Gameplay with Aplfisher

Halo 4 Solace Map Gameplay with Nexy

Gamespot

Halo 4 - Spartan Ops, War Games, and Loadouts Interview

Halo 4 - New Dominion MP Mode Gameplay Video

btw:
the holographic images on the base appear to be vehicles you can summon at will
"press x to pilot ghost"
pretty cool, I wonder if that wraith is on a cool down timer or if you have to own the base for "x" amount of time to access it

On the Spartan Ops, War Games, and Loadouts Interview Video above. At around 4:35 mark, Frankie says there will be also be skill based matchmaking. Before that he spoke of MP and Infinity Slayer and then mentioned skill. Hopefully I'm not reading too much into it.

Omni

The first level is pretty linear and has some scripted bits. The rest of the levels (that were shown) however are all open according to reports, level three "Forerunner" seemed to impressed a lot of people.

Hopefully. Multiplayer is great, but I'm a campaign guy. Too many scripted events really screw up the replay value.

12293257.png

Regardless... dat detail. Bullet in the magazine? Awesome! It's a little thing, but it looks so much better than some flat block going into it like in previous titles.

On the Spartan Ops, War Games, and Loadouts Interview Video above. At around 4:35 mark, Frankie says there will be also be skill based matchmaking. Before that he spoke of MP and Infinity Slayer and then mentioned skill. Hopefully I'm not reading too much into it.

you're looking into it too much, there isnt enough bandwidth for anything other than the broken trueskill.

Countdown until HiredNoobs...
\

So, them kill cams.

Are they optional? I would love to see them in more than just "dominion".

keep them optional. I dont want to see them anywhere BUT Dominion. if you want them so bad play customs.

TheOddOne

Two reports that talk about the third level "Forerunner".

destructoid said:
We aren't allowed to talk about some of the (admittedly major) plot points that transpired in "Forerunner" -- 343 wants them to be a surprise for players -- so I'm not going to give a full moment-by-moment rundown up to that point. Just know that I'm personally interested in seeing where the story of Halo 4 goes and am feeling pretty good about 343's ability to deliver a solid narrative.

Giantbomb said:
Some significant plot stuff happens at the end of that third mission that makes me think I know exactly what the broad premise of Halo 4 is going to be, but since Microsoft asked us not to talk about it and really just let us see it for context (with missing music and sound effects, no less), there's not much point in worrying about whether I'm right or not. I will say it creates a particular narrative dynamic that Halo hasn't really dabbled with before, and that's exciting. The cutscene in the next level picks up right where that E3 demo began, and for whatever reason, it felt comforting to see Master Chief running around those rolling green hills that have provided the backdrop for so much of the series so far.

Source 1. Source 2.

keep them optional. I dont want to see them anywhere BUT Dominion. if you want them so bad play customs.

I'm curious, why not?
I'm a passionate, competitive Halo player, and I don't see a real negative to them.
You can probably just click X to skip it if you want to see what is around your dead body, or view your teammates.
(or spawn in if there is no spawn delay)

Top Bottom