• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

IHaveIce

Banned
Just bought Borderlands 2 to distract me from this Halo 4 hype.

People who have it on xbox add me GT Dedoubleyou.

edit: Just texted a friend about this news blowout, he is sitting in school and can't leave, he says it is the worst pain possible.

stephen08

I'm curious, why not?
I'm a passionate, competitive Halo player, and I don't see a real negative to them.
You can probably just click X to skip it if you want to see what is around your dead body, or view your teammates.
(or spawn in if there is no spawn delay)

In some ways it punishes the player who got the kill.

i.e. "I just got sniped by a guy at top lift"

or

"Be careful he has 1 rocket left"

I personally don't see it as a huge issue but it's a modern standard and probably something that they wanted to have for people familiar with CoD.

In the past I always felt that Halo reads so well that there are very few instances where I am unsure of what killed me.

So yeah, nice but somewhat unneeded.

Frankie's remark that "there is going to be skill-based matchmaking" seems pretty ambiguous: he seems to be talking just about there being playlists and gamemodes where loadouts are non-existent or restricted rather than any metasystem for arranging, ranking, and driving competitive play.

I'm curious, why not?
I'm a passionate, competitive Halo player, and I don't see a real negative to them.
You can probably just click X to skip it if you want to see what is around your dead body, or view your teammates.
(or spawn in if there is no spawn delay)
I don't care how the enemy killed me. A death was a mistake on my part I shouldn't be rewarded with the opponent's position because i died. it promotes more lonewolfing instead of actual teamwork

I really don't see what problem you can have with them being in game modes other than dominion.
they are just a detriment to the game because its another way that 343 is catering to the casual crowd and holding their hand. "Oh you died? well here, ill show you hw and where the enemy is now"

In some ways it punishes the player who got the kill.

i.e. "I just got sniped by a guy at top lift"

or

"Be careful he has 1 rocket left"

I personally don't see it as a huge issue but it's a modern standard and probably something that they wanted to have for people familiar with CoD.

In the past I always felt that Halo reads so well that there are very few instances where I am unsure of what killed me.

So yeah, nice but somewhat unneeded.
They need to stop implementing design choices for CoD fans. IMO.

dont like what i say, hit that ignore button yo.

they are just a detriment to the game because its another way that 343 is catering to the casual crowd and holding their hand. "Oh you died? well here, ill show you hw and where the enemy is now"
Only really seems to be a problem with snipers or other weapons aided by camping, because the pace of the game is pretty frenetic and players move around a lot. And, honestly, I'm okay with camping snipers being forced to move around.

Pop

H4 Interview with Frank

New page so I'll bring this up again.

At around 4:35 mark Frank mentioned there will be "skill based matchmaking also". Now before that he mentions Infinity Slayer and MP, then skill. Hopefully it means what it sounds like.

TheOddOne

I don't care how the enemy killed me. A death was a mistake on my part I shouldn't be rewarded with the opponent's position because i died. it promotes more lonewolfing instead of actual teamwork

How are cams holding the casual crowds hands? Most people do nothing with the info shown on killcams, especially "casual" folk. More high level folk could exploit the system.

Your attitude is appalling, it's not that you even try to debate the points you bring up. If you want to spout stuff, I would suggest you make a blog or something. This is after all a discussion forum.

stephen08

They need to stop implementing design choices for CoD fans. IMO.

dont like what i say, hit that ignore button yo.

So much of this game is about copying CoD's standards but retaining the Halo core. Ultimately time will tell how it serves them but I would speculate that the reason people like CoD underneath the killcams, or the killstreaks or loadouts is because of how it plays. Unless you are willing to completely bastardize Halo you will never 'out-CoD' them on that front.

We get a bunch of changes to a formula that works to make people who don't think of Halo as the shooter for them feel more at home. Meanwhile, the Halo fans that are interested in the game and don't like a lot of CoD's standards are left wondering what they were thinking.

The 2 extremes for this approach are a huge success where the Halo fans are pleased and a good portion of CoD/Battlefield fans decide to switch over; the other of course being the opposite where the Halo fans dislike the new stuff and leave the franchise and the CoD guys lose interest once Black Ops 2 hits. Ultimately it will fall somewhere in the middle but it's a risky proposition.

TheOddOne

So much of this game is about copying CoD's standards but retaining the Halo core. Ultimately time will tell how it serves them but I would speculate that the reason people like CoD underneath the killcams, or the killstreaks or loadouts is because of how it plays. Unless you are willing to completely bastardize Halo you will never CoD them on that front.

We get a bunch of changes to a formula that works to make people who don't think of Halo as the shooter for them feel more at home. Meanwhile, the Halo fans that are interested in the game and don't like a lot of CoD's standards are left wondering what they are thinking.

The 2 extremes for this approach are a huge success where the Halo fans are pleased and a good portion of CoD/Battlefield fans decide to switch over; the other of course being the opposite where the Halo fans dislike the new stuff and leave the franchise and the CoD guys lose interest once Black Ops 2 hits. Ultimately it will fall somewhere in the middle but it's a risky proposition.
Well we kind of have seen that effect with Reach. It didn't pan out, the core group is frustrated by the changes and the more casual folk moved to the next thing. It would be a shame if it happens to Halo 4, but my gut tells me it will happen to some extent but not as big affect Reach had.

Omni

I'm still quite... sceptical about the visuals.

2329440-h4_spops_sniperalley_firstperson_01_copy.jpg

2329471-h4_campaign_forerunner_firstperson_04_copy.jpg

Have these been touched up or anything? It just seems odd that on a 7 year old console they've apparently been able to get as much clarity in the visuals as a PC game.

I mean, compare what we've seen of 4 to the below.

Doesn't seem right. Kudos to 343i if it's actually looking as good as the shots we've seen, but I have my doubts...

stephen08

Well we kind of have seen that effect with Reach. It didn't pan out, the core group is frustrated by the changes and the more casual folk moved to the next thing. It would be a shame if it happens to Halo 4, but my gut tells me it will happen to some extent but not as big a affect Reach had.

The biggest 2 things Reach did to bridge the gap to CoD players were reworking the ranking system and adding in an element of loadouts with the armor abilites, also with sprint being default.

Compared to Halo 4 though that's pretty small time.

Now we have:

*Unlockable weapons as you level up
*Randomized Ordinance
*Personal Ordinance for match performance
*Perks that modify core attributes of players
*Killcams
*White Text EXP pop-ups

If you look at a more superficial level some of the naming conventions follow:

*Spartan Ops to Spec Ops
*Dominion to Domination (both 3 territory gametypes)

That's not to say that these things don't have a place in Halo or that they won't work out. Right now it feels like the game is going to try and be Halo enough for Halo fans but CoD enough so we don't alienate that group.

new multiplayer mode looks REALLY cool, i'm glad BTB is getting some love! the new 4v4 map looks huge, and I'm not sure how it will work out.

staying away from the campaign stuff, but it sounds so good.

dat hype

TheOddOne

That's not to say that these things don't have a place in Halo or that they won't work out. Right now it feels like the game is going to try and be Halo enough for Halo fans but CoD enough so we don't alienate that group.
Yeah, I share this opinion too. Time will tell though.

This image is just jaw dropping.

I'm still quite... sceptical about the visuals.

You can't compare the visuals of a rushed, multiplatform game to those of a flagship console exclusive.
Battlefield 3 was designed to look good on all platforms. They made sacrifies to make the engine flexible for PS360 and PC.
343 Industries hired some of the most experienced 360 developers/artists and had them make the best looking 360 game possible.

I just realised I've been reading this thread for around an hour at work - and have done no actual work. It looks fucking amazing. Just over a month. So glad I have a week booked off for this game. :)

Now I know this dead horse has had the shit beat out of it, but dont kill cams use similar code to what a spectator mode would? Why not have the option for a white team with only one player able to switch through POV's? Even if its just a Local option.

TheOddOne

I'm going to spoiler this, campaign spoilers. If you want to go fresh in, don't highlight.

IGN said:
Yet another new foe: a fixed Sentinel-type object that doesn’t seem to have a name. It fires a destructive laser at you if you’re in its line of sight, and it’s only vulnerable when it’s charging up to unleash its fury. Unlike the mobile, flying Sentinels, however, these Eye of Sauron-inspired Forerunner defense systems are fixed to rocks and walls. Taking one out was aided greatly by another of Halo 4’s new boomsticks: the Binary Rifle, a long-range, two-stage-zoom weapon that’s clearly the Forerunner equivalent of the UNSC Sniper Rifle.

Now I know this dead horse has had the shit beat out of it, but dont kill cams use similar code to what a spectator mode would? Why not have the option for a white team with only one player able to switch through POV's? Even if its just a Local option.

Kill cam code would be similar to the design used for theater mode.
That death cam mode, where you switch between your teammates while dead, would be similar to the design used for spectator mode.
Although they all use the same principle which is using states and events to simulate the game world.
Killcam/theater are stored from the past, while death cam/spectator mode are real time.

All of their designs are super similar looking from a third POV, yet all super complex to the engineers who make the magic happen :).

I'm pretty confused right now, I thought that
the Prometheans would be introduced in the E3 level. From Cortana's dialogue in that level, it seems like the logical thing to assume. But now we already meet them in the third level?

Woorloog

Banned
Why is a shieldless Elite charging the player?

Shieldless Elites have charged the player before. In Halo 2, they tended to draw Swords and then charge.
But sometimes they take cover. The Elite AI has always been quite... unpredictable (if you haven't played a thousand Halo campaign games like me, can't be surprised by the AI anymore).

the Prometheans would be introduced in the E3 level. From Cortana's dialogue in that level, it seems like the logical thing to assume. But now we already meet them in the third level?
The E3 level was no "real campaign mission". It was created just for E3 to showcase some stuff. Frankie even said it in the GTTV video

Gui_PT

They took stuff from other levels just to show those encounters.

TheOddOne

The E3 level was not a real campaign mission. It is also condensed part of a larger level for the sake of the demo.
The only two levels that was shown to the press was the first level "Dawn" and third level "Forerunner". Nobody knows what happend in the second level, but from the impressions I is that Prometheans are well known by the third level -- so the jungle section must be the second level where we are introduced to them.

The E3 level was not a real campaign mission. It is also condensed part of a larger level for the sake of the demo.
The only two levels that was shown to the press was the first level "Dawn" and third level "Forerunner". Nobody knows what happend in the second level, but from the impressions I is that Prometheans are well known by the third level -- so the jungle section must be the second level where we are introduced to them.
No.
The jungle level definitely starts with the Infinity crashing down. And that won't happen in the second mission. If it would, why are there no friendly AI fighting with you in level three? But Frankie said "You are going to meet them two levels earlier." So it will be the second level with the first encounter of Prometheans.

TheOddOne

No.
The jungle level definitely starts with the Infinity crashing down. And that won't happen in the second mission. If it would, why are there no friendly AI fighting with you in level three? But Frankie said "You are going to meet them two levels earlier." So it will be the second level with the first encounter.
Yeah, you have a point. Kind of remembering vaguely that the jungle section might be 2/3 into the game, could be wrong. I do think that the Prometheans will be introduced sooner though.

Top Bottom