• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars: Definitive Edition |OT| The Best Marketing This Game Will Get

deoee

Someone got me a copy and I suck at this game, but the port runs great and the missions in the SP aren't as easy as i thought on heroic.

Also I didn't think this was literally Early Access o_O
Any words on what will change to full release?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Someone got me a copy and I suck at this game, but the port runs great and the missions in the SP aren't as easy as i thought on heroic.

Also I didn't think this was literally Early Access o_O
Any words on what will change to full release?

That someone was very nice.

As for sucking, it's not all that easy but one you get the hang of it, it gets a lot better.

Well its mostly EA in a technical aspect as the content is complete, as for what they do know about

Early Access & Known Issues
Halo Wars: Definitive Edition is being released as an Early Access game beginning December 20, 2016. While the game is a complete experience, we are considering this initial availability “Early Access”, as there are some tweaks and improvements that will be made to the game as we support Halo Wars: Definitive Edition over the coming months.

Being an Early Access title means that we need to acknowledge a handful of issues that we are looking at improving in the near future:

On PC, the first time you run the game, there can be a delay of approximately a minute before the game launches. On subsequent launches, the game will launch normally.
We are looking to improve the multiplayer game flow and messaging in the future.
This means you move to the most appropriate screens as you step through the process of starting/joining a multiplayer match.

In multiplayer, you need to click the Search button at the bottom of the screen when searching for a match, click the Ready button when you have joined a match and are ready to start the game, and click the Publish button when creating a new multiplayer match.

Clicking these buttons will allow you to proceed with the game.
In some cases, voice chat defaults to “all”, even if you’re on opposing teams.

In a 1v1 game situation you may want to mute your microphone to avoid inadvertently giving strategic insights to your opponent.
On team games, depending on the platform, you may want to use Party Chat instead.

This obviously isn’t ideal and is something the team will address going forward.
If your computer hardware is lower end, please go to the Options menu and turn down the game settings to optimally enjoy the game.

Fuchsdh

Which one was Arcadia again? The evacuation one?

Yep.

I actually didn't have much difficulty with it on Legendary, you just have to commit to holding a single ship and not trying to protect all of them. It's really easy to defend them but you have to make sure there isn't something like a lone Banshee that's attacking out of range and causing trouble.

m23

Yep.

I actually didn't have much difficulty with it on Legendary, you just have to commit to holding a single ship and not trying to protect all of them. It's really easy to defend them but you have to make sure there isn't something like a lone Banshee that's attacking out of range and causing trouble.

Yeah I managed to beat it without much difficulty the other day on Heroic. I remember the struggle on legendary though...

Tecnniqe

Banned
RAAAAINBAAAWS

YUzRu4D.jpg

Hawk269

Finally was able to find a 1 on 1 on-line game after 5 days of setting up and waiting or searching. Played the person twice and had my butt handed to me. He used the Warthog rush technique on me and it had been a while since I had to deal with it using Cutter that I forgot the counter. Was fun, I lasted longer the 2nd time, but still kicked my butt!

SpartanN92

Banned
What's the deal with theses codes?

I still haven't gotten one yet. I preordered the $80 version from Amazon. I got a code from them a few weeks ago but it's just the "pre" predownload code for HW2.

Tecnniqe

Banned
WOW. Congrats. I have not had time to play as much as I wanted, but that was pretty quick to 100% the game.
Hah, thanks.
Yeah me and a friend, who I talked to support for, got his key on Tuesday and we just went ham.

Ended with these stats
WWfi9M7.png

And I thought I was going for it pretty aggressively despite having it well before you. I'm around 800.
What takes the longest is the skirmish wins and since there's no ranked I just did DM vs a friend.
Goddamn man you plowed right through it.
Be starting mine today, first impressions though it runs fine and looks a fair bit better than the original thanks to the higher resolution settings. Really looking forward to Halo Wars 2 because of this as well.
Man it was so great to play on PC. Very much exited for HW2 but now I have time to make the OT :D

Hey Stinkles, is there any specific reason all 343 XB1 titles have dropped LAN/system link support?....Is it just because the feature isn't used much by most players?

I've really felt its loss over the last few years as it was a feature me and my friends used quite a bit when we met up to play Halo Wars(and the main series).

Timeless

Hey Stinkles, is there any specific reason all 343 XB1 titles have dropped LAN/system link support?....Is it just because the feature isn't used much by most players?

I've really felt its loss over the last few years as it was a feature me and my friends used quite a bit when we met up to play Halo Wars(and the main series).
Microsoft loves control.

1. One less way to get out of paying for XBL
2. Adds dev cost for probably one of the least-used features

Tecnniqe

Banned
Microsoft loves control.

1. One less way to get out of paying for XBL
2. Adds dev cost for probably one of the least-used features
Think it's more about the power under the hood and less about control.
You don't pay to play online on PC...

It's probably down to like 5% actually using it but I do dislike the lack of split screen and the like overall in every game nowadays.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Cloud for 5, and the added cost and difficulty of replicating OG behavior in the remake, in this instance.

HOWEVER, this is something I've heard loud and clear and something we're obviously aware of going forward. And no, MS does NOT insist on Live only for monetizing or account sign up reasons, it's up to each dev to figure out their own solution (see Gears, for example), but MS is working on eSports and tournament stuff at the platform level, so I suspect you're going to see MORE LAN and tournament functionality in the future, not less.

Tecnniqe

Banned
More eSport and LAN / SL support sounds cool, glad its something of focus.

Do you happen to have public numbers (%) for how many use these features outside of tournaments?

Cloud for 5, and the added cost and difficulty of replicating OG behavior in the remake, in this instance.

HOWEVER, this is something I've heard loud and clear and something we're obviously aware of going forward. And no, MS does NOT insist on Live only for monetizing or account sign up reasons, it's up to each dev to figure out their own solution (see Gears, for example), but MS is working on eSports and tournament stuff at the platform level, so I suspect you're going to see MORE LAN and tournament functionality in the future, not less.

Thanks for the detailed and informative response! Glad to hear we will potentially see more LAN functionality in the future.

Hawk269

Hey Stinkles-

Do you know if the team is looking at adding back in the games original Matchmaking, Rankings, Leaderboards? This is something severely missed in the D.E. version of the game and the on-line community would be so much better if these things were added back into the game. Also wondering on if there will be some performance improvements on the Xbox One version. Framerate seems to be all over the place at times. Most of the time it is pretty smooth, but when battles get bigger, it tends to drop a lot. Imho, a locked 30fps would be a good way to go unless they can smooth it out at the higher framerate.

Oh and any word on when the next Halo Wars 2 beta will start? My old beta updated with the new stuff, just curious when it unlocks.

Thanks!

Akai__

If they were planning to add back stuff like leaderboards and etc., don't you think it would have happened with an Early Access version? Those things require testing, too. I'm fairly convinced that the game will launch as is, with maybe a coupple improvements.

They probably also don't want to have to 2 competetive Halo Wars games out there which are splitting the userbase and 343i's main interest will be their and Creative Assembly's own game.

Gestault

Just got my code too from Xbox digital preorder.

Downloading now on Xbox.

Says it's unavailable on my Surface Pro 3 though. Lame.

Double-check to see if you were looking at the Xbox license or the actual PC license (both will show up in your library). There may be an actual problem for you, but someone else had the same situation and it was just looking at the wrong item.

Novocaine

Makes no sense, as I'm playing it on my SP1

Double-check to see if you were looking at the Xbox license or the actual PC license (both will show up in your library). There may be an actual problem for you, but someone else had the same situation and it was just looking at the wrong item.

It works fine on my SP3, you got any updates pending?

Looks like a good ol' reboot did the trick. Installing now!

AYF 001

So I just got my DE code and it's installing, but how do I choose which hard drive to install it on? It's currently downloading onto my SSD, but I'd like to know how to set the default to my mechanical drive.

This is for the PC version.

Unity2012

So I just got my DE code and it's installing, but how do I choose which hard drive to install it on? It's currently downloading onto my SSD, but I'd like to know how to set the default to my mechanical drive.

After it finishes downloading you can right click on the game icon> manage game> right click and choose COPY ( or MOVE either one will work); it will copy all content wherever else you have available.

You can choose your default storage from the settings panel, I think.

AYF 001

After it finishes downloading you can right click on the game icon> manage game> right click and choose COPY ( or MOVE either one will work); it will copy all content wherever else you have available.

You can choose your default storage from the settings panel, I think.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm on the PC. I'll edit my comment to include that.

aka_bueno

I bought it on the night of the 26th, and got my code today. Never played the original, but was looking for a combat focused RTS to play and this one looked fun.

I played the first 3 missions and I thought it was pretty fun! Playing it on W10 with my XB1S gamepad and it's flawless so far.

I was slightly bummed at first at how simple it was, but it was just a case of the game not really telling you the full controls. It should do a better job in the tutorial or beginning missions of explaining the more advanced controls. I did the basic and advanced tutorials and I'm pretty sure it just went over "press A to select a unit, X to move unit to location, LB to select all units, Y for special ability, d-pad controls"

For anyone else playing it for the first time...

A = select single unit
A (Double press on a unit) = will select all units of the same type
A (Hold) = will allow you to "paint" or select/group multiple units individually with the cursor
LB = select ALL units everywhere on the map
RB = select ALL units that are currently visible on-screen

Top Bottom