• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDR 4k TV sets with lowest input lag?

Luke_Wal

I think some of it is timing. I already have one early gen 4k TV and I'm about to add an early UHD display. Both circumstances amount to failure at the wrong time.

I want an OLED but I feel that's a tad early too so I'll buy a cheap UHD and give it away in a year or two.

Unless I'm mistaken... aren't 4K and UHD the same thing?

dr_rus

Why are PC monitors so far behind the HDR curve here?

OS support isn't there yet, not much HDR content to view on these monitors plus much higher general quality requirements for a screen sitting some 50cm from your eyes compared to a TV somewhere on the other side of the room. They'll get there.

Here's one of the first options: BenQ announces 32" 4K high dynamic range monitor. Will cost a fortune probably.

Unless I'm mistaken... aren't 4K and UHD the same thing?

In the same way as 720p and HD is the same thing, yeah.

AmyS

I bought a Samsung 6300 50 inch last week.

It says "HDR Premium" on the box.

4OTRcEV.jpg

What kind of HDR is this? Reliable information seems pretty hard to come by.

Rbk_3

I bought a Samsung 6300 50 inch last week.

It says "HDR Premium" on the box.

4OTRcEV.jpg

What kind of HDR is this? Reliable information seems pretty hard to come by.

It will accept an HDR signal but will not display true HDR.

It only has a peak brightness of 430 nits and doesn't have a wide color gamut.
HDR requires 1000 nits minimum and a wide color gamut.

AmyS

It will accept an HDR signal but will not display true HDR.

It only has a peak brightness of 430 nits and doesn't have a wide color gamut.
HDR requires 1000 nits minimum and a wide color gamut.

Okay thanks. Not really good for HDR then.

Gamerman1

Why are so many wanting to buy HDR sets when all of them don't meet the true HDR specs? The current HDR quality on these sets looks ok but nothing substantial. Seem's like consumers fell for a new buzzword in Televisions?

Madness

Why are so many wanting to buy HDR sets when all of them don't meet the true HDR specs? The current HDR quality on these sets looks ok but nothing substantial. Seem's like consumers fell for a new buzzword in Televisions?

Because some people need to buy things now, not one or two years down the road with no guarantees anything will change or some new techology won't come that completely changes their purchasing decision again.

Some HDR and 4K is better than no HDR and 4k. Sure a lot of the cheaper sets aren't HDR 10/UHD Premium or Dolby Vision, but they are still going to be able to give you better image quality with their lowered version of HDR than nothing at all.

nikos

My Sony 47W802A decided to die right before my PSVR arrives, so I'm scrambling to find a new TV. This TV has 17ms of latency in Game Mode, so it's going to be hard to beat. I play a lot of Street Fighter, so that's important to me. I think my top pick right now is the Samsung KS800. I've spent way too much money already this fall, so my budget is limited. If I can't swing the KS800, I may go with the KU6300 or, it scares me to say this, the Vizio P series. Still doing research, but it looks like Sony's current lineup's input latency is too high.

Fun fact, my older Samsung died right when the PS4 was released. That TV lasted about seven years. This Sony lasted about three. As much as I love Sony, I don't think I can go back. I called customer support tonight and was referred to their website. Guy wouldn't even tell me what the error code meant (I had to google it) and was extremely unprofessional. I felt like I placed a call to somebody's cell phone, who was on-call after-hours.

Thought I'd bump this, but here's something I highly recommend checking out, especially for current UHD owners.

I use a VIZIO M55-C2 55" UHD 2015 model. Cost me $750 refurbished on Amazon after tax. I don't know if other TV's are like this, but if you have a UHD TV already, I HIGHLY recommend using all devices on the 4K@60hz port using a splitter. Even if they're 1.4 devices.

My TV has 5 HDMI ports, 1 and 2 are standard with HDCP 2.2, 3 and 4 just standard, port 5 is HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2. My TV's manual said to have the lowest input lag, use a game system on that port with Game Mode enabled.

I already had a VERY noticeable difference to the naked eye and feeling of the controller, using a standard port felt like I was sliding on butter, but I decided to plug in my laptop, outputted at 1080p60hz and used a Sega Genesis ROM of 240p Test Suite on Kega Fusion (Genesis emulators always had very good input response)

Laptop plugged into HDMI Port 2 (Standard 1.4 with HDCP 2.2)
46.265ms average

Laptop plugged into HDMI Port 5 (4K60hz HDMI 2.0)
13.728ms average

Best result I've gotten during these tests, obviously on HDMI 2.0 port. The standard port I did 10 tests and got the average, I had to reduce the 2.0 port to 5 tests because it was so frustrating as I kept getting negative frames (Pressing too early)

mhjJD9g.jpg

Personally, the only drawback with this TV is that there's absolutely NO 240p support. Tried RF and composite, PSOne bios is 480i but as soon as a game boots up, black screen, no other 240p console boots unless I use an HDMI upscaler. Though discovering this, using a dedicated upscaler on this HDMI port will very likely yeild lower input lag than just using composite/RF. That's a different topic though.

laxu

Why are PC monitors so far behind the HDR curve here?

Because GPU vendors and Windows don't support it yet. Apparently Windows 10 support is coming in early 2017 and neither Nvidia or AMD drivers seem to support it yet despite the cards being capable hardwarewise.

Also I'd rather take high refresh rates over HDR any day. 4K @ 144 Hz should be coming to market next year but you'll need this year's GPU to support it over Displayport and probably a next year top end GPU to hit 60 fps at that resolution.

I'm also kinda hoping next year we would get some TVs that would support high refresh rates with possibly Displayport connectors. Probably a pipe dream as gamer-centered TVs seem to be something that just doesn't exist.

dr_rus

Because GPU vendors and Windows don't support it yet. Apparently Windows 10 support is coming in early 2017 and neither Nvidia or AMD drivers seem to support it yet despite the cards being capable hardwarewise.

Also I'd rather take high refresh rates over HDR any day. 4K @ 144 Hz should be coming to market next year but you'll need this year's GPU to support it over Displayport and probably a next year top end GPU to hit 60 fps at that resolution.

I'm also kinda hoping next year we would get some TVs that would support high refresh rates with possibly Displayport connectors. Probably a pipe dream as gamer-centered TVs seem to be something that just doesn't exist.

Windows 10 support HDR10 since 1607/AU update.

MastAndo

How/Where can I tell what the input lag is for this TV? Can't even find out what year TV it is 😕.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...h-dynamic-range-black/5133600.p?skuId=5133600

1080p @ 60Hz: 24.7 ms
1080p With Interpolation: 116.5 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode: 110.0 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: 37.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz: 21.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: 37.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR: 21.2 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR: 37.1 ms

from http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku7000

In summary, it does very well when it comes to input lag. :)

I've shared this in another thread but I think it is relevant here as well:

I got a Sony XBR55X700D today, and i can confirm it works in 4k HDR with both the xbox one S and PS4 Pro after the latest system updates (although you have to use HDMI 2 and 3).

Edit: this tv has 32ms lag with 4k and HDR turned on. So a little behind Samsung, but still an acceptable figure.

Ive tried uncharted 4 on a PS4 Pro and GeoW 4 on an X1s. As others have said, HDR makes a significant difference. I played around with turning it on and off, and all I can say is "wow".

Under the xbox one S advanced settings, the Tv showed up with check marks across the board for 4k 60hz 10-bit etc. I threw in my mad max UHD disk and even my wife was able to immediately see the difference with HDR (we previously viewed it on a 55" non-HDR 4k TV).

As someone that typically games on an 110" projector screen (1080P non-HDR), I'm going to take it game by game on where I play. I still have a standard X1 and PS4 hooked up to the projector. For games that don't have a big difference, I'm going to opt for the bigger screen and 7.2 speaker setup. For games with HDR and good pro support, I'll be using the 55" tv and sound bar combo. Not a bad setup to tie me over until true 4k HDR projectors are available for under 10k.

As a side note, I may have won the panel lottery: no bright spots, blotchyness, or pixel issues to report. After calibrating, I'm quite pleased with the picture. And this comes from an owner of the amazing Sony XBR-55X900A (which still looks better with non-HDR content).

doemaaan

1080p @ 60Hz: 24.7 ms
1080p With Interpolation: 116.5 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode: 110.0 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: 37.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz: 21.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: 37.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR: 21.2 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR: 37.1 ms

from http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku7000

In summary, it does very well when it comes to input lag. :)
Nice. Thanks. I was putting the entire model number on that website and couldn't find shit. My mistake 😩.

Wag

The LG 65UH7700 looks like a good deal. 65" w/Dolby Vision support for $1200. Why would I get the Samsung 8000 series if the LG has both Dolby Vision and HDR10 support?

Top Bottom