• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HELLDIVERS - Review Thread

Seanspeed

Banned
really ? .4 or any decimal number doesnt add any real value to the score..
" 7.4 ?? Damn it, its a no buy for me !! I was hoping for 7.6 !! "
If that's the only purpose of a review, then what is the difference between a 7 and an 8? And 8 and a 9? A 9 and a 10? Might as well just be 'yay/nay'.

Some people obviously feel they need a more nuanced scale to properly represent how they weight their overall enjoyment of a game. Talking about 'value' makes no sense. Its not up to you to tell a person how they should or should not rate a game.

Amir0x

Banned
I almost forgot..I joined several games on my Vita where there was 3 other players, the framerate went to shit.. for real I thought there was a problem with my Vita. It was like playing the game in slow motion. As soon as one player was dead the framerate was better, but once all 4 players were back, the framerate went to shit again.
It wasn´t like that all the time, but like 50% of the games I played on the Vita.

Yikes, that sounds straight up miserable. Well, at least we have the warning sign up. Hopefully other VitaGAFers read it and don't fall for the trap.

Can I be honest? I'm not a big fan of such jokes.

All pre-development investments are a risk. The Order's didn't turn out well critically, Helldiver's did. Bloodborne remains to be seen.

Sure, of course. And the risk in Helldiver's paid off, and the bloated AAA monster cinematic game did not. I'm just saying may the best gameplay win! ;D

All joking around aside, if the Vita version is as bad as Hanmik's impressions are suggesting not all is rosy in Helldiver's-ville. Sometimes I wonder why they bother trying to squeeze certain games onto Vita if they're not going to run well. Waste a time imo.

Scanna

I want to clarify, beino the author of the VGNetwork review, that the 3/5 you see is actually a mistake, cause it's the grade for the PS vita version of the game, which really sucks. Something got lost in communication between me and the video editor, he must have only looked at the vita grade to create the video. Sorry, everyone, can OP edit the grade somehow?

Yikes, that sounds straight up miserable. Well, at least we have the warning sign up. Hopefully other VitaGAFers read it and don't fall for the trap.

Sure, of course. And the risk in Helldiver's paid off, and the bloated AAA monster cinematic game did not. I'm just saying may the best gameplay win! ;D

All joking around aside, if the Vita version is as bad as Hanmik's impressions are suggesting not all is rosy in Helldiver's-ville. Sometimes I wonder why they bother trying to squeeze certain games onto Vita if they're not going to run well. Waste a time imo.

Because they will get hundreds of comments saying "we want a vita port!"

They can't win.

crossbuy sweetens the deal ofcourse.

Hanmik

I want to clarify, beino the author of the VGNetwork review, that the 3/5 you see is actually a mistake, cause it's the grade for the PS vita version of the game, which really sucks. Something got lost in communication between me and the video editor, he must have only looked at the vita grade to create the video. Sorry, everyone, can OP edit the grade somehow?

so you had the same bad experience as me on Vita..?

What score did you give the other version?

That's a positive batch of reviews. It's a shame the game isn't slated for PS+ this month, I'd have loved to take a stab at it under such circumstances. As it stands, it doesn't look appealing enough for me to actually spend money on it.

Scanna

What score did you give the other version?
4/5
(7.5 in the article, we use the 5 scale only in video reviews)
VGNetwork.it - 7.5
Pros:
- hardcore, cooperative gameplay
- a nice time waster
- very strategic
Cons:
- a class system wouldn't have hurt
- artistically and technically bland
- lacks personality

My gripes with the game are almost entirely cosmetic, btw

4/5
(7.5 in the article, we use the 5 scale only in video reviews)
VGNetwork.it - 7.5
Pros:
- hardcore, cooperative gameplay
- a nice time waster
- very strategic
Cons:
- a class system wouldn't have hurt
- artistically and technically bland
- lacks personality

My gripes with the game are almost entirely cosmetic, btw

My issue from what I've seen of videos is that it's bland and lacks personality.

This is from the same guys who did Magicka and that shit was full of unique art design and originality. Loved Magicka.

Scanna

My issue from what I've seen of videos is that it's bland and lacks personality.

This is from the same guys who did Magicka and that shit was full of unique art design and originality. Loved Magicka.

My thoughts exactly.
They say they were inspired by Starship Troopers, which I LOVE, but the references stopped after the cringeworthy intro video and that's that. I'd have loved to see or hear more or to have better location or enemy design. The rest is ace.

Amir0x

Banned
Because they will get hundreds of comments saying "we want a vita port!"

They can't win.

crossbuy sweetens the deal ofcourse.

I mean you gotta be a leader in those cases, and communicate with the fanbase. Say something like "unfortunately given the hectic design of the game and its PS4/PS3 focus, it can't quite run on Vita the way we would have hoped. My apologies but we're going to have to cancel the Vita port."

I guess it depends on how bad the framerate is. The way it's being described as a slideshow during cooperative play is not good at all... given the game's heavy focus on the feature.

I mean you gotta be a leader in those cases, and communicate with the fanbase. Say something like "unfortunately given the hectic design of the game and its PS4/PS3 focus, it can't quite run on Vita the way we would have hoped. My apologies but we're going to have to cancel the Vita port."

I guess it depends on how bad the framerate is. The way it's being described as a slideshow during cooperative play is not good at all...

Communication with the fanbase should be a priority but we all know it can go the other way and the fanbase calling the devs "lazy" if the vita version is cancelled.

Resogun is the perfect example of communicating with the fanbase. It runs well on vita but you can easily tell that the game was built for PS4. Sony&Housemarqgue said it was hell bringing the game to PS3 & Vita but at least they communicated well with the fanbase when the PS3 & Vita versions came out.

m@cross

There really is no need for the latter, especially in a thread completely unrelated to the game. Most people playing it seem to be enjoying it, and that's ultimately what matters.

In any case, this game completely fell off my radar, but if GAF impressions and reviews are both highly positive, I may have to jump in.

My thoughts as well on both accounts. Game is good, lets not devolve this into something else with unnecessary opinions about other topics.

Amir0x

Banned
Communication with the fanbase should be a priority but we all know it can go the other way and the fanbase calling the devs "lazy" if the vita version is cancelled.

Resogun is the perfect example of communicating with the fanbase. It runs well on vita but you can easily tell that the game was built for PS4. Sony&Housemarqgue said it was hell bringing the game to PS3 & Vita but at least they communicated well with the fanbase when the PS3 & Vita versions came out.

I mean at that point you then go ahead and ignore the fanbase, because that's not a legitimate criticism that's just shittrolling whining on the internet. You can't avoid all of that, ya know? It's gonna happen. You gotta have thick skin on the internet unfortunately, it's a sad state of affairs.

They shouldn't have bothered getting Resogun on Vita, ran like crap too sadly. Was the PS3 version bad too? Doesn't surprise me.

m@cross

A 3 out of 5 is still above average, not "sucks". While it is not 8 or 9 territory, it is still decent enough on a 5 point scale to not be garbage.

Scanna

A 3 out of 5 is still above average, not "sucks". While it is not 8 or 9 territory, it is still decent enough on a 5 point scale to not be garbage.

yeah, I meant it sucks in comparison with the PS4 version. I cannot ignore the good things the game does for a crappy port. The meat under it is still plenty.
I expressed myself badly, I apologize

m@cross

yeah, I meant it sucks in comparison with the PS4 version. I cannot ignore the good things the game does for a crappy port. The meat under it is still plenty.
I express myself badly, I apologize

Hey you could spin it like a marketing person if you like.

Helldivers includes a reduced quality option for use when the wife is watching Bones.

Considering you get all versions for the price, we could just consider the VITA version a secondary option for less than ideal situations ;p

Just callin' it like the truth knows it. >:D

PS4 had a rough launch, t'was saved by Resogun. Not cinematic bloated ten thousand shaders a second modern shooter with glowing yellow arrows, but pure explosive gameplay in a bottle refined to a perfect 10 sheen. The Order was a mass of poor game design choices with endless uninteresting cinematics interspersed through one of the most beautiful game engines ever made for a console. And remember, it was delayed into 2015. This is their "polished" vision. I know! And now, Helldiver's save the day with a distinctive, crossplay and crosssave system unifying Sony platforms underneath the banner of purely gameplay driven shenanigans of the highest quality order. Small devs/indies always save the day for Sony. Sony was quite wise to invest so much attention in this side of the fence, I'm sure they're going to need a small dev to save Naughty Dog after UC4 debacle. Maybe No Man's Sky or Galak-Z or The Witness will save the day. Who knows. Exciting times ahead though, no?

I'm just teasing man, relax. It's just playing game dissin', nothing personal. :D

Hmm, Resogun didn't exactly blow me away either. Come to think of it, this month is the very first one where I've got some PS4 exclusive stuff to look forward to that actually looks like it might be worth a damn (this and Bloodborne).

Amir0x

Banned
Hmm, Resogun didn't exactly blow me away either. Come to think of it, this month is the very first one where I've got some PS4 exclusive stuff to look forward to that actually looks like it might be worth a damn (this and Bloodborne).

Stay back you treacherous knave, no one hateth on mine Resogun!

Wait this isnt a Ps Plus free game game like promised?

No price was given which led people (me!) to believe it was a PS+ game but they were holding the price back due to the game being part of the Sony Spring Fever.

Off topic but Sony Spring Fever is going to make me broke. Godd Bless NA Account!

anddo0

My danish review is here: http://www.joypad.dk/index.php/anmeldelser/1-spil/377-anmeldelse-helldivers.html

As a coop multiplayer game it is really fun and challenging.. as a singleplayer game it is a boring grind.
Vita version has some problems:
- Longer loadtimes.
- Shadows and some objects look terrible.
- Reload and throwing Grenades are done by swipping Down on the touchscreen on the back of the Vita. That is terrible in a hectic firefight.. terrible.. Grenades get thrown at other players feet and it is hard to reload instantly.

I'll pass based on this and other SP impressions.

I have maybe 4 friends who would even consider getting (Flunkie is the only one I know for sure). It's a busy month, so this is an easy pass for me since the SP is lacking/chore.. I've been following the game, the co-op focus was always clear. I just thought the SP would hold up as well.. Completing missions on easy doesn't sound fun. It's more of a training ground for MP.

Top Bottom