• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HELLDIVERS - Review Thread

Carcetti

Is this anything like Infested Planet? Or more of a twin stick shooter? I've managed to somehow avoid most media on this game ...

Samus4145

I posted our review a few hours ago: http://www.selectbutton.com/reviews/helldivers-review/

We aren't going to do a separate review for each version as the content is the same across each platform. Not sure where the Vita hate is coming from, I've played more missions on the Vita than PS4 and have no had a single issue. Yes, the visuals are worse, obviously, but the game still runs smooth and controls great.

edit: lack of sleep = poor grammar in post

Hanmik

I posted our review a few hours: http://www.selectbutton.com/reviews/helldivers-review/

We aren't going to do a separate review for each version as the content is the same across each platform. Not sure where the Vita hate is coming from, I've played more missions on the Vita than PS4 and have no had a single issue. Yes, the visuals are worse, obviously, but the game still runs smooth and controls great.

controls great..? You didn´t have a single problem with the reload/grenades mapped to the back touch screen..?
Smooth..? did you play 4 player coop ..? it slowed down really really really bad for me as soon as I joined a match with 3 other players. You never had that issue..?

Amir0x

Banned

Damn they gave it a 10. This game seems amazing.

Samus4145: Other than Hanmik and Scanna, I have other friends in the industry that also been playing the game for review and saying the Vita version is disastrous. You're the first person I've heard say the game runs smooth. Did you ever play 3 or 4 way multiplayer a lot?

Raytow

Not sure where the Vita hate is coming from, I've played more missions on the Vita than PS4 and have no had a single issue. Yes, the visuals are worse, obviously, but the game still runs smooth and controls great.

Hammik and Scanna are saying the game runs like ass with 4 players, so yikes!

GlamFM

Banned
Wait what? What is this? Never heard of it. At first glance I´m hyped. Is there a good video review somewhere?

Amir0x

Banned
Wait what? What is this? Never heard of it. At first glance I´m hyped. Is there a good video review somewhere?

This game was announced back at GDC 2013 iirc. Basically an awesome hardcore cooperative shooter experience with friendly fire (like even characters spawning in can kill you if they land on top of you; supply boxes can crush you) and super intense difficulty that is fair but harsh as hell.

Here is a really poor video review about it, but the better video reviews are not up yet. At least I don't think, I just started hunting.

stryke

There are early impression videos by Gamespot and Gameinformer which I think do the best job of showing you how this game works.

jesu

I want to clarify, beino the author of the VGNetwork review, that the 3/5 you see is actually a mistake, cause it's the grade for the PS vita version of the game, which really sucks. Something got lost in communication between me and the video editor, he must have only looked at the vita grade to create the video. Sorry, everyone, can OP edit the grade somehow?

What kind of review scale do you use where a game that really sucks is a 3 out of 5!?

Samus4145

controls great..? You didn´t have a single problem with the reload/grenades mapped to the back touch screen..?
Smooth..? did you play 4 player coop ..? it slowed down really really really bad for me as soon as I joined a match with 3 other players. You never had that issue..?

Nope. Swiping the touch pad in the back of the vita is the best use for it yet. Way more responsive than tapping, which most games employ. Never felt like I was struggling to reload or toss grenades.

As for 4 player co-op, I've seen some hiccups, but nothing to the degree of unplayable as soon as joining.

jesu

I already explained myself, you can just read the other posts

Sorry I missed that post but it still makes little sense to me how a version of a game that "really sucked" compared the "good but not great" version of the game deserves a 3/5.

Djin1979

I Have a question, I plan to play Helldivers in Coop with my wife, and I was wondering if the difficulty was the same for 2 and 4 players ?

Do the ennemies scale in difficulty with the number of players ?

Xater

I Have a question, I plan to play Helldivers in Coop with my wife, and I was wondering if the difficulty was the same for 2 and 4 players ?

Do the ennemies scale in difficulty with the number of players ?

You can pick the difficulty.

Scanna

Sorry I missed that post but it still makes little sense to me how a version of a game that "really sucked" compared the "good but not great" version of the game deserves a 3/5.

Do I have to tell you how much it did suck in comparison to the other one? I believe it's still sufficient and playable, even if inferior to the other one. If I have chosen a stronger word than what I was trying to convey, I apologize and that's that. :)

This game looks so great. Glad to see it getting great reviews. Was supposed to be out last summer, right? If so, the delay really helped them to put the finishing touches on this thing.

Ricky_R

How's the single player in this game? Is it something like Dead Nation?

I don't see myself playing this game online, but I've always being interested in trying it.

Amir0x

Banned
Here is a vid of someone playing on Vita, better than I expected from this thread. Judge for yourself, its just a dude playing it. It looks worse, but gameplay seems fine, load times are a bit long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP0z2be6Y9k

I mean you can tell in these videos, that's sluggish as hell. Unless youtube is somehow making it look worse, it's stuttery shit. If you can stomach it that's fine, but that's an extremely problematic framerate as far as I can gleam from that video.

Top Bottom