• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey Ono, #PS3SticksForSF5

Moofers

Ah. I've forgotten about this lately. I guess its time to go make some tweets.

I really want to see this for USFIV. Its the difference between me buying it or not buying it since I already have it on PS3.

Neoxon

Gotta keep this thread alive to keep the movement going. I'm not giving up on this, & you guys shouldn't, either.

Subaru

This is ridiculous, we shouldn't have to ask CAPCOM.

PS3 sticks works on PS3 (not only in fighting games), so Sony should make PS3 USB controllers compatible with PS4.

They suck.

Neoxon

With the announcement that USF4 will be on PS4 at EVO this year, I thought this thread is now more important than ever to be known.

Varth

#breaking

EvPDxuL.png

Putting this here. Would be a good idea to tweet it to Ono.

Neoxon

Capcom, ASW, the standard has been set by Lab Zero Games & NetherRealm Studios (the latter of which I hope patches the driver into Injustice PS4). The ball's in your court, guys.

Gartooth

I'm pretty glad now that I didn't sell my old PS3 sticks yet. lol

Plus I have a PSTV so I might be able to use an old stick via remote play. Granted there might be latency problems with that...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
MadCatz also expressed support for this movement. Don't believe me, go look through some of the earlier pages of this thread.
The cynic in me says that of course MarkMan would tell people he supports the Skullgirls driver while behind the scenes Madcatz as a company is hoping that Capcom doesn't support old sticks.

Hell, it's why I have very little hope for last gen instruments working for the new Rock Band. Madcatz wants you to buy the new plastic guitars and drums, don't they?

Philly40

Massive props to Ravidrath and Lab Zero,

I think we all suspected that this could be achieved, but certain parties were making it difficult

Skilletor

The cynic in me says that of course MarkMan would tell people he supports the Skullgirls driver while behind the scenes Madcatz as a company is hoping that Capcom doesn't support old sticks.

Hell, it's why I have very little hope for last gen instruments working for the new Rock Band. Madcatz wants you to buy the new plastic guitars and drums, don't they?

And companies want you to buy their new product, don't they?

I think it would be safe to say companies would sell more software if they had support for old peripherals.

vg260

MadCatz also expressed support for this movement. Don't believe me, go look through some of the earlier pages of this thread.

Talk is cheap though, especially when the dev is ultimately making the call. If it doesn't happen it's the game dev that shoulders the blame. It's a good move for them to say they support it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I think it would be safe to say companies would sell more software if they had support for old peripherals.
Yeah, but enough people play SF that Capcom can probably count on the most hardcore players to buy new sticks in order to compete at tournaments.

The only hope I have for Rock Band is that they see the new game as a service and plan on making money selling DLC as opposed to selling new peripherals. That model doesn't really exist for SF and I assume the only thing that would even change that is if the entire FGC got together and decided that next-gen SF4 and SF5 were not worth playing.

Philly40

It's sort of different for Rock Band though? you can't really play it with a standard controller,

Fighting games are designed with controllers in mind, but better with a stick

vg260

The only hope I have for Rock Band is that they see the new game as a service and plan on making money selling DLC as opposed to selling new peripherals. That model doesn't really exist for SF and I assume the only thing that would even change that is if the entire FGC got together and decided that next-gen SF4 and SF5 were not worth playing.

That's really what Harmonix is doing, trying to keep it a platform for DLC. They just know there are a lot of people who still have a lot of old instruments, and a lot that threw theirs away. Probably a significant enough number of both that they need to support both segments.

Yeah, but enough people play SF that Capcom can probably count on the most hardcore players to buy new sticks in order to compete at tournaments.

Don't they say in the latest behind the scenes Rockband developer video that they're specifically looking to allow use of old peripherals?

It's sort of different for Rock Band though? you can't really play it with a standard controller,

The first few GH games worked with a controller.

Don't they say in the latest behind the scenes Rockband developer video that they're specifically looking to allow use of old peripherals?

You can guess which company is cockblocking HMX and which one allows it. The ambiguity of their statement is because of that cockblock.

Elixist

i thought they already said the old guitars work? maybe im full of it or missed some new info.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
i thought they already said the old guitars work? maybe im full of it or missed some new info.
They're looking into it aka don't get your hopes up. lol

That's really what Harmonix is doing, trying to keep it a platform for DLC. They just know there are a lot of people who still have a lot of old instruments, and a lot that threw theirs away. Probably a significant enough number of both that they need to support both segments.
That's why I have a slim hope... but again, Madcatz is in both of these genres and it is definitely in their interest to sell more plastic. IIRC, Madcatz was the publisher of RB3 after Viacom sold HMX and I assume that they are publishing RB4?

Yeah they did, but how will they do it if you have wireless instruments? For PS3 I think it's bluetooth, but for Xbox, it's a completely different wireless standard. I just think they said they would try to support it so that they can lessen the blow later when they announce that you need to buy new instruments after E3.

The first few GH games worked with a controller.
Yeah, until the move to 360/PS3 I think.

vg260

That's why I have a slim hope... but again, Madcatz is in both of these genres and it is definitely in their interest to sell more plastic. IIRC, Madcatz was the publisher of RB3 after Viacom sold HMX and I assume that they are publishing RB4?

My understanding is that Harmonix is self-publishing this time.

Perhaps there may be some sort of RB4 USB dongle that needs to be supported from within the game.

vulva

Fun fact, MS and Sony rules required that every game having functionality for the Rock Band/Guitar Hero controllers for 360/PS3.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My understanding is that Harmonix is self-publishing this time.

Perhaps there may be some sort of RB4 USB dongle that needs to be supported from within the game.

It would be funny though, because they would have to make what is basically a Chronos or Titan One device but design it in a way that people can't hack it to use their other devices (like Arcade Sticks or racing wheels) on the consoles.

As someone who has a lot of plastic stuff from last gen consoles, I'd love to be an optimist and believe that everything will be supported... but I also live in the real world.

Philly40

Yeah they did, but how will they do it if you have wireless instruments? For PS3 I think it's bluetooth, but for Xbox, it's a completely different wireless standard. I just think they said they would try to support it so that they can lessen the blow later when they announce that you need to buy new instruments after E3.
I posted some impressions in an old thread after someone asked to test USB controllers with the War Thunder controller setup wizard - it mostly worked

vg260

As someone who has a lot of plastic stuff from last gen consoles, I'd love to be an optimist and believe that everything will be supported... but I also live in the real world.

I'm hopeful, because Hmx did that survey and have a good idea of how important it is to people. It's also important for the Sony/MS to get people to buy the game because of how heavily DLC-focused the game is. RB fans buy a ton of DLC on their respective stores, so it might be worth it for them to help get instruments working.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Certainly USB would be easier since it is a software/driver solution. And I think it's hilarious that War Thunder supports almost everything. It's just that for Rock Band in particular, everything at the end of the run was wireless.

I'm hopeful, because Hmx did that survey and have a good idea of how important it is to people. It's also important for the Sony/MS to get people to buy the game because of how heavily DLC-focused the game is. RB fans buy a ton of DLC on their respective stores, so it might be worth it for them to help get instruments working.
Oh I hope I'm wrong when it comes to this. lol
The fact that MKX is supporting old sticks is a good sign, but Netherrealm doesn't really have a stake in the arcade stick game as far as I know.

Top Bottom