• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima left Konami/KojiPro on October 9th, non-compete ends in December

heringer

I will echo the sentiment that MGSV is amazing. It has flaws, but it's my second favorite in the entire series. Quite enjoyed the story too, even if poorly paced.

Roufianos

Yeah, you won the gaf award of longest post without a point.
I keep my negative energy in place through yoga. It also helps me to avoid crying when a game doesn't end up like the fanfiction i had in mind.

My post had a point. Yet again, your warped opinion is arrogantly stated as fact.

Crying? I haven't posted in the MGSV spoiler thread for weeks. I've accepted it and moved on.

My interest in this debate isn't so much MGSV as it is my personal astonishment that you're willing to grill people for expressing their own personal disappointment.

Lernaean

Banned
My post had a point. Yet again, your warped opinion is arrogantly stated as fact.

Crying? I haven't posted in the MGSV spoiler thread for weeks. I've accepted it and moved on.

My interest in this debate isn't so much MGSV as it is my personal astonishment that you're willing to grill people for expressing their own personal disappointment.

I'm just happy you moved on. It's a big step.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Kojima going independent, starting his own studio and with the freedom that comes with it - that'd be really interesting. But with the rumoured budget of MGSV escalating wildly, it seems he'd really benefit from a couple of producers that help him with not going completely crazy with the budget. On the other hand, if he'd go first-party, he'd probably get a pretty nice budget and a fantastic environment (i.e engines, studios, etc) to do cool stuff.

Whatever happens, I hope he keeps developing, dude has brought us a lot of interesting things. I'd love to see him continuing within the stealth genre without the baggage of Metal Gear, but something entirely new would be great too. I see a lot of people posting about horror, but I'd be even more interested in seeing him returning to sci-fi. Deus Ex HR has shown that there's a market for a cyberpunk-esque setting.

MGSV was too much like Far Cry for me, I don't really enjoy that kind of game. I did like Peace Walker tho. And my favorites are the MSX2 games :) but that might be becasue of rose tinted glasses of youth (I was 14 or something when I played the first one around 1988).

CGft5b4.jpg

sad

heringer

MGSV was too much like Far Cry for me, I don't really enjoy that kind of game. I did like Peace Walker tho. And my favorites are the MSX2 games :) but that might be becasue of rose tinted glasses of youth (I was 14 or something when I played the first one around 1988).

MG2 holds up surprisingly well in terms of mechanics, but it's a bit stiff to play nowadays. Ghost Babel, on the other hand, plays incredibly smooth and retain all of the core elements of MGS. Excellent level design too. I'm playing through that game right now for the first time and it's surprisingly great. Kojima will be missed, but MGS can survive without him if Konami is willing to continue the series.

kevm3

Given how 1st party ps4 games look way better than nonexclusives, I'd like to see what he could do if he was given freedom at Sony. Most likely won't happen, but i'd be interesting.

Although it's crazy that he's leaving Konami, I think it's for the better since he can now be free to make games other than Metal Gear.

Haunted

Speaking about the actual development talent of the studio, they've finally managed to make a game that plays really well and didn't have shitty controls, it'd be a shame if all that groundwork would never go anywhere.

With or without the IP attached.

heringer

Speaking about the actual development talent of the studio, they've finally managed to make a game that plays really well and didn't have shitty controls, it'd be a shame if all that groundwork would never go anywhere.

With or without the IP attached.

MGS4 played pretty well already. In fact, in terms of controls MGSV is merely an evolution of that.

Ratrat

MGS4 played pretty well already. In fact, in terms of controls MGSV is merely an evolution of that.
But Phantom Pain is easily one of the best if not best games ever in terms of how it plays. They even improved greatly from Ground Zeroes. It would have been great to see it improve even more in future games.

heringer

Wasn't Ryan Payton a huge key player in that change to more modernized controls?

The general understanding is that he had a big influence on the controls and gameplay, yes.

But Phantom Pain is easily one of the best if not best games ever in terms of how it plays. They even improved greatly from Ground Zeroes. It would have been great to see it improve even more in future games.

Absolutely. In terms of moment to moment gameplay, it's probably the most enjoyable game I've ever played, but MGS4 did the groundwork.

Kojima going independent, starting his own studio and with the freedom that comes with it - that'd be really interesting. But with the rumoured budget of MGSV escalating wildly, it seems he'd really benefit from a couple of producers that help him with not going completely crazy with the budget. On the other hand, if he'd go first-party, he'd probably get a pretty nice budget and a fantastic environment (i.e engines, studios, etc) to do cool stuff.

Whatever happens, I hope he keeps developing, dude has brought us a lot of interesting things. I'd love to see him continuing within the stealth genre without the baggage of Metal Gear, but something entirely new would be great too. I see a lot of people posting about horror, but I'd be even more interested in seeing him returning to sci-fi. Deus Ex HR has shown that there's a market for a cyberpunk-esque setting.

Mgsv made its money back already. So all these budget concerns are a moot point imo

KingT

Neo Member
If it was only kojima who left Konami I would argue that he might be done with the video games industry since he has been working for three decades and has done it all also he deserves a long vacation.

If it's true that Konami had exterminated the contract of every associated with Kojima Production Studio then I think he will feel a little bit responsible for them and will forum or join a studio so they won't stay out of job.

Maybe I am wrong but this is how I feel about the situation.

liquidtmd

Banned
_2015_10_20_17_13_16_sksof.jpg

Konami: "Yes we can now officially confirm that this was in fact a picture from the party held on honour of Mr Kojima starting his vacation. It is standard company policy for a massive company wide party to occur anytime a member of staff takes a vacation. We like to celebrate staff vacationing and still deny it's anything other than that"

Lernaean

Banned
I don't disagree. I only said that MGS stopped having shitty controls when MGS4 was released.

Hmm, the way i see it, each game's gameplay was the evolution of the former, so you could see 2 refined in 3 and so on. So yeah 4 set the groundwork for V, and it was an improvement over 3 as it evolved from it. I just feel like V took the extra step.

Skittles

Just think, we could of been getting a brand new trailer for silent hills at the paris games week if konami didn't decide to axe their game division

heringer

Hmm, the way i see it, each game's gameplay was the evolution of the former, so you could see 2 refined in 3 and so on. So yeah 4 set the groundwork for V, and it was an improvement over 3 as it evolved from it. I just feel like V took the extra step.

In terms of pure controls, the jump from MGS3 to MGS4 was far bigger than the jump from MGS4 to MGSV. Like, not even close. My opinion, of course.

Z3M0G

After finally playing the game, It started to show that Kojima was probably most of the problem with the game's development... blowing the budget to kingdom come...

The MGS I love ended with MGS4...

Whompa02

Read the last two pages. Apparently I'm not a real MGS fan anymore because I have to only consider 5 of Kojima's games as being the only ones that existed, and I have to dislike MGSV.

Awesome.

I thought MGS's fanbase wasn't that bad. Guess there's a few bad apples in every fanbase...

MGSV had problems, probably mostly due to Kojima not being able to finish his damn game...but it's still a damn good game regardless. The ending left a sour taste, but there's a LOT of good in that game. Oh well.

After finally playing the game, It started to show that Kojima was probably most of the problem with the game's development... blowing the budget to kingdom come...

Eh. I'm no good at backseat financial analyst. But I do think he ventured to try some really quirky things that typically don't get tried out in a huge release because it's a gamble. I like to hope that Koji had some bigger plans he didn't get to execute just right, but I'll never know.

zsynqx

Read the last two pages. Apparently I'm not a real MGS fan anymore because I have to only consider 5 of Kojima's games as being the only ones that existed, and I have to dislike MGSV.

Awesome.

I thought MGS's fanbase wasn't that bad. Guess there's a few bad apples in every fanbase...

MGSV had problems, probably mostly due to Kojima not being able to finish his damn game...but it's still a damn good game regardless. The ending left a sour taste, but there's a LOT of good in that game. Oh well.

Every franchise dude. Dark Souls 2, uncharted 3, Halo 4, MGS5... the list goes on! ;)

Although I can't really talk as I constantly shit on Uncharted 3 and Dark souls 2.

Lernaean

Banned
In terms of pure controls, the jump from MGS3 to MGS4 was far bigger than the jump from MGS4 to MGSV. Like, not even close. My opinion, of course.

Based on what we have in our hands right now i disagree, but from vanilla 3 to 4, you are absolutely right.

entremet

He's gonna make a movie first.

So don't hold your breath on gaming projects.

Dude has been wanting to make movies for decades.

Awesome.

Typically they aren't. The community is insanely inclusive and tight knit. That being said, I only see one person I know from the community.

Every franchise dude. Dark Souls 2, uncharted 3, Halo 4, MGS5... the list goes on! ;)

Although I can't really talk as I constantly shit on Uncharted 3 and Dark souls 2.

You need to check your fiber intake.

heringer

Based on what we have in our hands right now i disagree, but from vanilla 3 to 4, you are absolutely right.

You could easily tackle MGSV with MGS4 controls. The core aspects are there: crouch walking, over the shoulder view, walking and aiming with standard TPS controls. MGSV adds some flavor and some usefull moves, and it's also tighter, but overall game could be played with MGS4 controls with little to no changes. The same does not hold true for MGS3 to MGS4. That is, you would have a very hard time playing MGS4 with MGS3 (even Subsistence) controls.

Lernaean

Banned
Typically they aren't. The community is insanely inclusive and tight knit. That being said, I only see one person I know from the community.

Who?

You need to check your fiber intake.

That's true, it helps. But most importantly get rid of stress. I found that an hour of meditation and good fibre intake worked wonders on my IBS.

My point was that most popular franchises have that one game which everyone likes to shit on.

He is joking. Trust me.

nkarafo

All i can see now is the rest of the companies battling each other in an auction to acquire him. Place your bets people, who's gonna get him?

He's gonna make a movie first.

So don't hold your breath on gaming projects.

Dude has been wanting to make movies for decades.
Yeah, most people can tell, i'm sure

Top Bottom