• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima left Konami/KojiPro on October 9th, non-compete ends in December

Mobius 1

large.jpg

Oh heavens let this be true. BANKROLL THIS MAN SONY

Markoman

All i can see now is the rest of the companies battling each other in an auction to acquire him. Place your bets people, who's gonna get him?

Yeah, most people can tell, i'm sure

No one. He just joined my company - we are the industry leading manufacturer of erotic pachinko machines.

I'm sorry to dissapoint you....

Go_Ly_Dow

Dammit people. The best place for him is where he can make another horror game in the vein of P.T/Silent Hills.

That's his unfinished business.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wish he'd gone out on a higher high, but there we go. I'd advise him to never make an open world game again if he does come back to games. Keep them tight and a lot more linear, and abandon the TV episode bullshit.

Also non-compete stuff is garbage. Way to just get in the way of an ex-Directors life for no reason when youre firing them essentially. Assholes.

Lernaean

Banned
No, not yet but that's why we hired Kojima san.
We want to branch out into s.m. territory.He is already working on
our newest model codenamed: "No Phantompain, No Phantomgain"

I like your company already.

Wish he'd gone out on a higher high, but there we go. I'd advise him to never make an open world game again if he does come back to games. Keep them tight and a lot more linear, and abandon the TV episode bullshit.

Also non-compete stuff is garbage. Way to just get in the way of an ex-Directors life for no reason when youre firing them essentially. Assholes.

I'd agree with all this. I loved V, and i think he did a great open world, but yeah, I'd prefer him to make a tighter game too.

If he ends up with del Toro and Ito, making a creepy, linear and tight horror game, it will be a dream come true for me.

BadWolf

Dammit people. The best place for him is where he can make another horror game in the vein of P.T/Silent Hills.

That's his unfinished business.

Sony again would be the best option there.

They have the Siren series and the man who created Silent Hill working for them, Keiichirō Toyama.

GrayChild

Kojima can go anywhere he wants, as long as his next game is multiplatform. Having his games on a single console (and without a PC version) would be a terrible waste.

Emedan

That's your opinion, I loved it. And i'm a big fan of the series.

Yes it is, and my opinion is always right B|

Joking aside I don't understand how anyone who's a long time fan of the series can look upon MGS 5 as anything other than hugely disappointing

Lernaean

Banned

Joking aside I don't understand how anyone who's a long time fan of the series can look upon MGS 5 as anything other than hugely disappointing

I don't understand how this argument keeps popping in a thread that has nothing to do with it.
It seems this is a thread about people not understanding things.

Bl@de

Sony again would be the best option there.

They have the Siren series and the man who created Silent Hill working for them, Keiichirō Toyama.

Don't. Just don't. You know that it can't be as awesome as that. Don't make me hope for crazy things :(

Zeta Oni

Some of us really enjoy the gameplay aspect of games, you know?

And to say MGSV is anything short of one of the best feeling 3rd person shooters ever made is just not true. Disagree with the story all you want, but I just cant accept that. That alone brings the game above "hugely disappointing", and the only MGS game I havent played is 4.

On topic, id really enjoy playing another Kojima game one day, and hope if he does continue making them, its a 3rd party company. That mans brilliance doesn't need to be shackled by exclusiveness, on any platform.

Hatty

Finally it's over!!!

giphy.gif

now we'll have a canonic Metal Gear, with a team of villains and boss and cutscenes and backtracking, cool characters, cool dialogues, cool ending, cool everthing!!!

Bye Bye trolling guy, keep posting on twitter stuffs you brought, food you eaten and things like that, maybe now the time has come to open that toy shop you wanted to open time ago.

TOY SHOP HAS COME TO!!!

There's no more room for you in the Saga, thank goodness!!!

GKjZ65W.png

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This FucKonami stuff is childish. Please let's grow up a touch - pretending that the big bad evil Publisher is abusing the angelic visionary is stupid.

It's not a bad thing. Assuming that Konami continue Metal Gear in the AAA space, it's probably good that someone else gets some fresh eyes and new blood on the series.

Edit: oh my days my phone went on a mad one with my grammar.

As someone who used to work at Konami, I can say that "Yes, they are generally fucking over their employees, big or small." Horrible company, with some amazing people that work there, yet treated like absolute garbage. I do not miss it.

With that said, I don't think Kojima was an angelic visionary, but he is very talented. His games are very unique, with a style that is clearly his own. His team produces good stuff, and a lot of that is because of his perfectionism and singular vision. Konami is a frustrating company to work for. As is Activision. These places are businesses first, and they will do what they feel they must to ensure maximum profit, but that generally comes at the cost of the mental and physical well-being of their employees not at the super high corporate level.

There are multiple sides to every story, but Konami is more than likely taking on the lions share of the blame in this instance. Kojima, I'm sure, is also partially to blame.

The best companies I have worked for have been Obisidian and Capcom/Beeline. Being treated like a human being goes a long way towards your enjoyment of your work, and the quality of your work's output. Who'da thunk it? The worst have been Activision, Vivendi(before and after the merger with Activision), and Konami. Square-Enix was ok, but I wasn't there long, just a few months.

Mar Nosso

Banned
Cerny isn't Sony

Maybe Kojima will actually be employed by Cerny Games which would let him keep his independence, yet still work very closely with Sony. It amounts to what Cerny does and ha done since creating his company. That would actually be ideal for Kojima I'd wager. Hmm!

PSqueak

Banned
You know, i know everyone here wants him to be snagged by one of the big 3 (well, actually do anybody want him to go microsoft?) but i think it's better if he went 3rd party, everybody wins. He should join Platinum, they seem to be pretty cozzy with all 3 companies.

Kojima didn't leave Konami. He just went on a long vacation on and farm to run around with other Kojimas.

The real Kojima died years ago. Three clones were made, they will now split into different game companies. The first clone can make the perfect gameplay but shitty story, the second clone can write the perfect story but he sucks at designing gameplay, the third one is the perfect clone. Where will they end up?

The real Kojima died years ago. Three clones were made, they will now split into different game companies. The first clone can make the perfect gameplay but shitty story, the second clone can write the perfect story but he sucks at designing gameplay, the third one is the perfect clone. Where will they end up?

I just hope they don't all end up in Big Shell companies....

Golnei

Where does Joakim Mogren fit into all this? I always thought
becoming Kojima's phantom
was too cruel a fate
for Etsu Tamari

I may have been beaten to it, but I think the smarter move would be for either Nintendo or Xbox to snag Kojima; his future games would be system sellers.

Top Bottom