• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima left Konami/KojiPro on October 9th, non-compete ends in December

Alebrije

Kojima didn't leave Konami. He just went on a long vacation on and farm to run around with other Kojimas.

The truth is that Kojima was sent to quarantine by Konami. The long vacation is just a cover in order to sell its tech codename Foxengine to the PIS aka Pachinko industry syndicate through a CTP and finally complete their main goal to take MGI.

Obviously that could not be possible without a TBP.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why is Konami even pretending that he's just on vacation?

Well, they're probably technically correct.

If he had one month worth of vacation days, he'd still be a Konami employee until November 9th, even if October 9th was his last day of actually being at work.

It's a dumb distinction, but I'm guessing they want to assert it as it relates to how his non-compete works (if it's 30 days, if his employment ends on November 9th, then he can't sign with another publisher until December 9th).

poodpick

I hope Kojima ends up at Sony games studios making big budget sony games. To me that makes a whole world of sense.

Would be a nice fit as I don't think he will get $80 mil for a game anytime soon. I'm sure he could still make a really good game with half that budget.

A multiplat pub would be best though.

javie3d

NZuyEeK.jpg

Hylian7

I came back into this thread expecting more "Your move, x!" jokes.

Now Konami claims he was on vacation when there are pictures from his farewell party on Twitter?! ROFL

#FucKonami indeed

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It will be level 5, I'm calling it.

SCEJ.

* History: Long history of cooperation MGS2 as PS2 tech flagship, and active collaboration with things like Snake vs Ape Escape.

* Values: SCEJ stuck with TLG through a long and troubled development, for the "art". That's got to sit well with Kojima.

* Location: Perfect place for a Japanese creative with international aspirations.

* Corporate: Sony have shown a lot of commitment to console gaming by making it one of their core businesses. They might not be what they once were, but they are still a powerful organization with a lot of resources.

* Platform holder: Pretty much guarantees maximum promotion and "push" for a name creative like Kojima whilst avoiding the hassle of supporting/maintaining multiple sku's.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
My prediction...

Kojima starts a studio in LA and someone ie EA, Ubisoft, Activions etc will give him lots of cash to start his own studio.

Markoman

I came back into this thread expecting more "Your move, x!" jokes.

Now Konami claims he was on vacation when there are pictures from his farewell party on Twitter?! ROFL

#FucKonami indeed

Sorry sir, but here in Japan when we are on vacation, first thing we do is visiting our peers to have a glass of water with them. It's our culture
Please understand.

#Iheartkonami

NYR94

From the Kotaku article:

According to Tokyo Sports, a spokesperson at Konami’s Tokyo headquarters said, “Currently, Kojima is listed as a company employee [at Konami].”

Konami denied that he has left the company. “Currently, Kojima and the development team are finished developing Metal Gear Solid V and are taking a long time off from work.”

When asked about the farewell party, Konami replied, “We’re not sure what kind of thing this was.”

http://kotaku.com/konami-denies-hid...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Elios83

Konami is so afraid of a mediatic shitstorm that they think they can hide that Kojima is not working with them anymore.....really?????
Usually in these cases both the parts involved make an announcement wishing good luck to the other....this is amateur.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Wow, really? How does Konami think they can get away with this?

My favorite quote in that article:

Kotaku said:
When asked about the farewell party, Konami replied, “We’re not sure what kind of thing this was.”

Theodran

Re the whole "He's just on a vacation" claim... it's entirely plausible. People in my company do this all the time. I know people who have never used up their vacation days for the past few years, and although vacation days expire after two years, it's entirely possible that Kojima had 40 vacation days (the number of vacation days that the company is required to give him over two years, or 20 days a year) when he left on October 9th. If his last day at work is October 9th, and he has 40 vacation days left, his official end date would be on December 8th (there are two national holidays in November).

The non-compete clause isn't a non-compete clause. He literally is a Konami employee until December, and his employment contract most likely bars him from working in two places at once (this clause is very common for employment contracts).

eso76

I know people who have never used up their vacation days for the past few years, and although vacation days expire after two years, it's entirely possible that Kojima had 40 vacation days

This.
His contract ends in Dec, he's using the days off he had left and is technically on vacation.

eso76

So in other words, he left.

His contract was always supposed to end in dec, he's still konami employee until then.
He didn't take days off, so he's using them up now, which likely means he won't be seen at konami ever again.

Technically, though, he's konami employee on vacation, vacation that will last until his contract expires.

Dunkley

If he had one month worth of vacation days, he'd still be a Konami employee until November 9th, even if October 9th was his last day of actually being at work.

It's a dumb distinction, but I'm guessing they want to assert it as it relates to how his non-compete works (if it's 30 days, if his employment ends on November 9th, then he can't sign with another publisher until December 9th).

Oh alright, that's pretty dumb indeed. Thanks for the explaination however.

Golnei

I think you're underestimating the varied array of uses Konami can find for its staff - they could be assembling pachinko machines or working as security guards as well.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Well that's most probably the case. He's still a Konami employee officially on paper, but he's on leaves till his contract expires now. So he won't be stepping into Konami building anymore despite his status.

His contract is still in effect though.

Hahs

Kojima is DONE with Konami!

Konami is just being 'really' technical about him not leaving.

Kojima IS on vacay, but it extends past the expiration of his contract, which ends in December - so essentially he isn't coming back, but technically he's still an employee...until December

Go_Ly_Dow

The truth is there was no rift. Konami and Kojima's relationship is all rosy and he will be back to undertake another project after his vaction. The "leaving party" was simply a MGSV release celebration party.

What a tweest.

Top Bottom