• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman beta opens to PS+ members on 4th March

I've been playing the series since 2 and I love the beta besides some technical issues (I don't think the gun shot visual and audio are synced), I'm picking the first episode up on friday, I really feel like they've got a good grip on what I like about Hitman.

edit: also I'm glad they fixed the detection system while in a disguise, it feels a lot more natural and realistic.

Anybody play the PC beta? Because how this performed on the quad makes me nervous.

Performance was outstanding on PC. Sadly PS4 players aren't getting that here. I played the beta this morning on PS4 and it has a lot of issues.

I will say the beta is from an October build of the game- but I'm not defending it further than that.

PS4 is the lead on this so-hoping that near 6 months of extended incubation helped.

I played the beta so much that I forgot I have to redo everything once I get my Intro Pack smh. Oh well, it's all pretty straight forward.

mattp

has anyone broken down what all the settings in the gameplay options do?
what is fixed map? how come whether i turn npc icons on or off, there doesnt seem to be any icons on my map?

i basically just want to turn this into blood money. disable all the assists and detective mode, but still have the old blood money map system with the icons on it that i can pull up to look at but it doesnt pause the game
...is that possible?

Gurish

I'm a little disappointed, it feels clunky, full of bugs (I killed the russian chess spy by a plane accident and the game didn't let me finish the mission), not really feeling it.

Visually pretty average as well, not a step up from Absolution.

The overall package, production values, polish, mechanics, really pales compared to the U4 beta, If U4 feels like an "AAA" than Hitman feels like barely an "A" next to it unfortunately.

SkylineRKR

I liked what I played but the performance sucks considering the rather simple texture work.

I managed to get about all outcomes in the second mission, I like the possibilities here. Fuck Absolution. I will surely play this.

Hyunkel6

I'm a little disappointed, it feels clunky, full of bugs (I killed the russian chess spy by a plane accident and the game didn't let me finish the mission), not really feeling it.

Visually pretty average as well, not a step up from Absolution.
Yup. It's Hitman all right, but nothing sets it apart from the other games (so far). Gives me the same vibes as Hitman Contracts, which I thought was very average.

Gurish

Yup. It's Hitman all right, but nothing sets it apart from the other games (so far). Gives me the same vibes as Hitman Contracts, which I thought was very average.
I feel bad for these guys, you can tell they are really trying to provide the Hitman game that the fans are wishing for, the potential is great, just seems like maybe they don't have enough budget to pull it off :/

gossi

I feel bad for these guys, you can tell they are really trying to provide the Hitman game that the fans are wishing for, the potential is great, just seems like maybe they don't have enough budget to pull it off :/

Yep, I feel that too. Performance on PS4 is bad, and it doesn't feel like a big budget title.

GeeTeeCee

I liked what I've played of it, but there's a worrying level of jank that I'm not entirely convinced will be fixed by launch of the first episode.

Foffy

Banned
I liked what I've played of it, but there's a worrying level of jank that I'm not entirely convinced will be fixed by launch of the first episode.

This build is older than the press build from January.

I believe, and I may be mistaken, this a build of the game from October of 2015, before even the original release date.

They really need to lock the framerate to 30 on PS4. Also the stuttering and glitching during that cutscene near the beginning while it's loading is awful.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think I have every been bothered by such fluctuating frames-per-second as I am with this game.

I really hope they optimize the game more because it stutters even in cutscenes (which look badly compressed). Aside from that, I love the game. Can't wait to play non tutorial missions.

This build is older than the press build from January.

I believe, and I may be mistaken, this a build of the game from October of 2015, before even the original release date.

Why would they use such an old build so close to release for such a broad audience?
I was catapulted on top of the ship while sneaking through the hallways lol

btw Do I need to bother with the SEM link email thing?

Coolluck

It's Hitman, alright. Feels very much like it started development on last gen or something. Interested to see if they ironed out the bugs cause that jank was noticeable.

BlondeTuna

I liked what I played. It seems like a return to Blood Money with the larger gameplay areas and varying options. I also like how they present the different things you can do gameplay wise with the challenges. Absolution had something similar but this seems more intuitive and easier to understand.

I need to mess around with the interface options and disable all the HUD elements.

Laputa_94

Just finished it, I thought it was pretty good. I have only played the PS2 Hitman games and thought they were pretty good. This seems more of the same which I don't mind. I will probably pick it up sometime when it is on sale.

Son Of D

Can't delete betas from the library so nope

Otherwise I'd try it

Not particularly interested in Hitman, not my type of game.
But I would have tried the beta were it not for the fact that it would stay on my download list forever.
Can't have that, my eyes bleed every time I see Evolve and Battleborn in there.

Is this seriously something so bad that you won't even try a beta?

PowderedToast

For all its problems Absolution had amazing art direction, some of the best I've seen in a video game. It was concept art come to life, full of detail, personality and atmosphere. This is such a shocking step down its hard not to think something went wrong.

Foffy

Banned
Why would they use such an old build so close to release for such a broad audience?
I was catapulted on top of the ship while sneaking through the hallways lol

btw Do I need to bother with the SEM link email thing?

This Beta is literally a server-side test. Nothing more.

This is all so they can gather and see if what they can grab for users meets their specific goals for the live content they wish to make to spruce up the game.

Heartfyre

My entire history with the Hitman franchise is playing the original Codename 47 on PC, and this beta test.

In that light, the beta is a significant step up over the last Hitman game I played.

Lima

Liked what I played but the performance issues have me worried about the Xbox One version which I will be picking up.

It's basically the least important part of this being a successful game but I absolutely love how clean/elegant all the text and menus are. They're gorgeous and fit perfectly.

farisr

Played through the whole thing.

Seemed good. Performance needs some improvement but not bothered by it too much and from what I'm reading it's an older build.

I absolutely love that you can save and load at pretty much anytime. Something like that in this kind of game where there's so many ways to accomplish the task can really encourage a lot of experimentation.

Will probably pick this up when the physical release comes out.

Jabba

Banned
Game did some weird thing where, I killed the target, no one saw it but after dumping the target in a chest. There was a guy there, going through a loop about the body. I used my spidey sense button to make sure no one saw the deed also. Really strange.

Does the game look a little fuzzy or blurry?

Staf

Just started playing, and man did the nostalgia hit me like a train. Consider me hyped for the game.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
For all its problems Absolution had amazing art direction, some of the best I've seen in a video game. It was concept art come to life, full of detail, personality and atmosphere. This is such a shocking step down its hard not to think something went wrong.

Something went right. They don't have an art director leading the game design this time; foregoing gameplay and level design for a shit story and (admittedly) good looks.

whitehawk

Banned
Man this framerate is all over the place. Got excited when the intro was a solid 60fps, but once the first level hits and your surrounded by crowds, 20-30fps fluctuation.

(surround) sound mixing is also pretty bad, e.g. when you grab a guy from behind his voice and struggling sounds come from the far right instead in front of you etc.

I'm not terribly impressed. The detection system while disguised is definitely improved but not much of a leap over previous instalments other than that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man this framerate is all over the place. Got excited when the intro was a solid 60fps, but once the first level hits and your surrounded by crowds, 20-30fps fluctuation.
Yeah, it's really *REALLY* bad. Going from 60fps to, like, 15-20.

weekev

Banned
Ive never played a Hitman game before (I know thats weird *shrugs*) so this Beta was a bit like me popping my Hitman cherry. I know its a Beta but I have to say, m not impressed. It feels a bit like the worst parts of every action game ive played but mashed into a game with performance issues and graphics that dont blow me away.

Will pass.

Loved what i played but like everyone else, there are some serious framerate issues and bugs that need to be fixed. Also, visually, it's definitely not what I was expecting from all the previews. Its very low grade and I'm very disappointed.

Top Bottom