• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Trailer (Sequel, PS4 has exclusive DLC, December 8, 2015)

As I understand, the first level introduces a story mission and the location also hosts contracts in that same space for after the mission that are not part of the central campaign. So yes, each level will both be the mission location and also a place for all sorts of Contracts to be played. By the time all of the campaign locations are released over several months to those who paid, it will be a large game to work with for contracts as usual for a retail HITMAN. But on Dec 8, you'll only have the first mission location.
One level? Nah, that can't be right.

It's a normal game, released episodically. Not that confusing. The Walking Dead games sell you their full game even though it will release over several months. Think that same release model, but instead of Walking Dead episodes, you get the campaign levels for what will end up the size of a full campaign in a full retail game.

Yeah but the difference between TWD and Hitman is that you don't need to buy the whole game beforehand for The Walking Dead, you can just buy the first episode and if you decide you're done with it, then you just don't buy the rest of them. Ends up being a 5$ game instead of the 25$ it would cost for the whole game.

For Hitman though, we need to give 60$ as if the whole game is out like a normal full game, but then receive only a portion of it at the pace of how the Devs wants it to be given because of reasons not yet fully known? That's bullshit to be honest.

DOWN

Banned

Yeah but the difference between TWD and Hitman is that you don't need to buy the whole game beforehand for The Walking Dead, you can just buy the first episode and if you decide you're done with it, then you just don't buy the rest of them. Ends up being a 5$ game instead of the 25$ it would cost for the whole game.

For Hitman though, we need to give 60$ as if the whole game is out like a normal full game, but then receive only a portion of it at the pace of how the Devs wants it to be given because of reasons not yet fully known? That's bullshit to be honest.

Not saying only one level at launch or one level at a time, just that we only know of one revealed so far we can be sure of will be there on day one. There will be several locations for several missions over the course of the campaign, as explained by IO.

And we don't know the entirety of the release model. For those who are sure they want all of the next HITMAN, that's what the full game pre-order is for. It's entirely possible (and likely to the game's benefit) that they could sell the segments individually for those who want a taste without committing to the full game coming. You can always pre-order episodic games in full before any of it is out.

Slowdive

Banned
All future content will be free, no micro-transactions, physical version coming out when the whole story has been released.

"It is fully complete at launch but it is not finished," studio head Hannes Seifert told VideoGamer.com at E3 earlier today. "What we do is we start the journey on December 8 and what we put out there is going to be a big game. But over the course of 2016 we'll add more locations, more missions and we'll have things like targets that only appear for, say, 2 days. That's something you can only do in the live world."

The game falls outside of traditional release models, launching as a full-priced $60 release but with additional content concluding the story rolling out in the months following launch. Once that content has been released, the game will be available to purchase on disc.

We're not an Early Access game because Early Access games are unfinished by definition - you're part of the development," Seifert says. "Everything we ship on December 8 will be completely finished, it will be a very polished experience. It's also going to be a very big game. There are other products that sell a game for $60 and then try to sell you a Season Pass for another $40 on top, so you spend $100 or $120 for all the stuff that happens later on. We said no, we don't want to do that.

"We think it's wrong to approach players like that because players want to be part of that experience but they don't necessarily want to be ripped off. What we're going to sell is all of that but it's for a one-price package."

This is a full-fledged Hitman," Seifert promises. "Actually it's a bigger Hitman game than ever before, it will be more than Absolution. Our biggest levels are way bigger than anything we had in Blood Money. The AI entities, we have about 300 of them when we used to have 40 or 50 in the previous games. So it's a very big game [that] we will keep updating. It's $60, no dollar more, no DLC or microtransactions or stuff like that. You will buy it and you will have entertainment for a few months on top."

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/hitma...ent_and_levels_will_be_released_for_free.html

Anyone else think this looks like the point shooting mechanic from Absolution? Due to how he shifts between targets

T2jp8al.gif

wow what the fuck this game is sounding good too?!

some of these titles are going to have to wait for a sale, i'm poised to spend more money than i ever have on videogames this fall/early 2016.

Foffy

Banned
Hey it is a reboot, just like the new Thief game. I cannot wait to see how shitty this will turn out!

For hopefully the last time: NO, this is NOT A REBOOT. This is set after Absolution, but the name of the title is to reference an attempt to return to form.

Someone really should update the title in the thread about this already..

Honestly, even the "get the community to work together" stuff they've proposed sounds like it could be really cool if it gets enough of a following.

Jintor

Sounds almost like it's a full retail game with an episodic release schedule... just like they said. This seems to be perplexing to people here.

it's like reverse splatoon!

okay it's nothing like splatoon except that the retail release is at the tail end of the content release

The same "bitching" is what brought Bateson back as voice actor. Not everything has to be praise, usually when I'm interested in a game I point out stuff that bothers me.

Pretty much. The more interested I am in something, the more I tend to notice and point out the small stuff. And people who bitch about people pointing stuff out really come across as irritating as shit.

Anyone else think this looks like the point shooting mechanic from Absolution? Due to how he shifts between targets

T2jp8al.gif

Noticed that, really hope Instinct isn't a thing this time around.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I've always liked point shooting. even in Splinter Cell I think it's one of the better additions to these types of game.

for me these games aren't about getting sick headshots or whatever so "okay, I've marked him and him and now I just press this button to take them out" is better than "oops, missed him. well this mission is over. restart"

Slowdive

Banned
Videogamer's impressions:

Goodness me, I'm excited. Going by the initial presentation, Hitman appears to be the game fans have been waiting for since 2006's Hitman: Blood Money, with huge sandbox environments and an unprecedented amount of opportunities to assassinate your target.

The E3 demo offered a fly-through of the game's Fashionable Paris map, one of three locations revealed so far alongside the Italian coastline and a bustling Marrakesh market. Fashionable Paris is a huge, sprawling location set within the grounds of a 3-storey Parisian mansion hosting a fashion show, and opening with Agent 47 emerging from a limousine on the red carpet. Your target is Viktor Novikov, a villain using the fashion show as cover for other 'shady' business.

How you kill him, of course, is entirely up to you. IO describes the new game as a "creative stealth" title, highlighting the vast array of methods - or accidents waiting to happen - available to players to kill their target. One example is to drop the rigging on Novikov as he's walking down the catwalk. Or smuggle a gun in via a crate. Or sabotage a firework show. Or climb a tower to use as a sniper nest. Or infiltrate the makeup room. Or do something with the helicopter parked on the lawn. Or this. Or that.

Every room has been designed to have a purpose and, as in earlier games, it's up to players to work out how best to use them, with maps said to be 6-7 times larger than Absolution's biggest levels. NPC density is also considerably larger, with about 300 AI characters said to be populating some of the game's stages. In Fashionable Paris, scores of attendees mingle in the bar and crowd around the catwalk, each reacting to 47's movements. Walk into a journalist reporting live from the show and you'll get a stern telling off.

As before, levels are based around timing, too, with certain characters performing certain events at certain times. If you want to catch Novikov on the catwalk, you'll have to make sure you're ready in time.

just like Curtains Down or A New Life, Fashionable Paris is already shaping up to be one of the most iconic missions in Hitman history, and a level you'll likely return to time after time to perfect your kill. Let's just hope the rest of Hitman's missions are able to capitalise on 47's fantastic return to form.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/hitman/preview-3901.html

Moff

So... it's a game with free DLC. They couldn't just say that haha.

I think it's important they make clear early what players should expect. the way it looks like they will initially only release a relatively small part of the game, maybe half or even less of the missions the game will finally have at the end of 2016. that's not really what is commonly understood as free DLC.

doofy102

So there will be a disc release on December 8, and a "complete edition" at the end of 2016 w/ everything that came out during the year? (Including the "assassination only available for 48 hours" stuff, somehow?)

That's actually true, but also an invalid point, as 47 was genetically engineered to look as generic as possible. Basically really non-descript facially, and he's also younger here so far less wrinkles and defined lines.

The fact that he's so iconic and sports a blatantly bald head kind of negates that though.

Hm, those are good points actually!

Like music to my ears! Very very happy about this.

So there will be a disc release on December 8, and a "complete edition" at the end of 2016 w/ everything that came out during the year? (Including the "assassination only available for 48 hours" stuff, somehow?)

No. Digital only on December 8th. In the following months after it's digital release, lots of content will be released plus special events like the assassination stuff for 48 hours. After all of the extra (free) content has been released, only then will the retail version of the game release.

CHC

The actually content of the game sounds fantastic. I loved the old Hitman games in their time and there isn't much like them now. However....

Rather than unboxing a game, playing it and then that’s sort of it, we want to deliver a true community experience - creating an ongoing and evolving game which plays out with a finale that brings the story arc together.

....I really wish companies, in general, would quit thinking that I want to be part of their "ecosystem". I want the first option they mention; I just want a product to play when my day is over, not some meted out "experience". It's the same mentality that leads stores like Rite Aid or Stop n Shop to ask for your goddamn email address when you check out instead of just selling you your toothpaste and toilet paper and letting you leave. I don't know where companies get this idea that the average consumer is really interested in buying into their whole brand and being a part of some largely imaginary community, and it bothers me that Square is pushing this angle so heavily with this game.

doofy102

No. Digital only on December 8th. In the following months after it's digital release, lots of content will be released plus special events like the assassination stuff for 48 hours. After all of the extra (free) content has been released, only then will the retail version of the game release.

Awe damn. That won't be kind to my Aussie downloads.

Moff

I honestly think that hitman is a game that is perfect for this kind of concept
unlike other games where you mostly just breeze through the levels, you actually spend much more time with them in hitman, even after you beat them for the first time. and with the many different ways to approach a mission, the community highscorces, contracts and temporary assassinations, I think it could really be exciting to focus on one level for a week or until the next one is released.

of course I would have been perfectly happy with a standard release, but I will gladly be a part of this new concept. and of course it really depends on how much is initially launched and how fast new content will be released.

Is it more like Blood Money?
Also the new Agent 47 looks creepy but I like it.

That's what it seems like. According to the article above and quite a few others, it seems to be a return to form more along the lines of Blood Money.

The whole 'community' thing doesn't do anything for me right now, but maybe when it's shown in gameplay we'll get an idea of whether it's awesome or not.

That's what it seems like. According to the article above and quite a few others, it seems to be a return to form more along the lines of Blood Money.

The whole 'community' thing doesn't do anything for me right now, but maybe when it's shown in gameplay we'll get an idea of whether it's awesome or not.

Great.
2015 is shaping up to be a phenomenal year for gaming.

The actually content of the game sounds fantastic. I loved the old Hitman games in their time and there isn't much like them now. However....

....I really wish companies, in general, would quit thinking that I want to be part of their "ecosystem". I want the first option they mention; I just want a product to play when my day is over, not some meted out "experience". It's the same mentality that leads stores like Rite Aid or Stop n Shop to ask for your goddamn email address when you check out instead of just selling you your toothpaste and toilet paper and letting you leave. I don't know where companies get this idea that the average consumer is really interested in buying into their whole brand and being a part of some largely imaginary community, and it bothers me that Square is pushing this angle so heavily with this game.
Considering how active Contracts mode was and all the fanmade extra objectives and challenges that were discussed on forums back in the Blood Money days, I'd say that community isn't imaginary

Gonna wait and see how their release model is before taking the plunge, but I'm loving everything I've read so far. Please be Blood Money 2.0

Foffy

Banned
Considering how active Contracts mode was and all the fanmade extra objectives and challenges that were discussed on forums back in the Blood Money days, I'd say that community isn't imaginary

It isn't. I remember looking up ways on how players killed unique NPCs in Silent Assassin. I'm astounded there's a way to kill the fat Yakuza boss in Tracking Hayamoto that doesn't devolve the level into a Max Payne level.

I think the community found unique ways of taking out certain targets that the Contracts mode is a literal evolution of that concept. The problem was it was in Absolution; a heavily scripted, linear Hitman game. A lot of that games poor choices kind of ruined the whole sandbox hunt game.

Contracts mode deserved to be in a better game, so hopefully here is where it shines.

I slightly agree. Paying $60 up front for a fraction of the content is kind of shitty, since you're ultimately going to be better off just waiting for the retail release. It's standard procedure in Early Access development (which ultimately, this kind of is) to charge less up front for that content

That said, it seems like they're committed to making the time between digital and retail release an actual experience. Timed contracts, community outreach, input on new content - it seems closer to classic episodic stuff than typical early access.

Still, I'd appreciate a way to pay the game content available on day 1 - without committing to their future content.

Moff

I think the community found unique ways of taking out certain targets that the Contracts mode is a literal evolution of that concept.

that's exactly what it is, the developers said that themselves, they implemented something the commuinity invented.
and absolution had a few sandbox levels, even if they were small and it showed easily what a fantastic long term addition contracts mode is to the franchise. I am very happy they kept it although absolution was generally heavily criticized, but from what we read and heard so far they definitely listened closely to the community about what was good and what was bad about absolution. so far it really looks like the perfect hitman game.

You can thank Eidos and their hilarious prediction that Kane & Lynch would be the next big thing in videogames for that long wait.

Not sure taking the piss on devs for trying out new IP's is actually appreciated on here. I for one love when developpers create new IP's, and Kane and Lynch had some good things going on for it.

to those asking me where I saw gameplay, I should clarify I watched the 'gameplay' presentation/trailer in youtube with the narrator explaining what the game will be. And showing how they're reworking the systems.

Not sure taking the piss on devs for trying out new IP's is actually appreciated on here. I for one love when developpers create new IP's, and Kane and Lynch had some good things going on for it.

Kane and Lynch was terrible and sold terrible. Somehow, they saw that as indication people wanted a sequel. They could have made another new IP or Hitman game instead of the mediocre KL2.

Kane and Lynch was terrible and sold terrible. Somehow, they saw that as indication people wanted a sequel. They could have made another new IP or Hitman game instead of the mediocre KL2.
Best thing about Kane and Lynch was the world and characters. Everyone was a shitty person, criminals in a fucked-up grimy dirty criminal world, and I loved that. I have a thing for violent gritty crime fiction. And the visual aesthetic of Dog Days was so cool

But that's about it

Top Bottom