• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honestly, what does Microsoft need to do with Scorpio to solidify your purchase?

sirronoh

Hmm, for me, I think there's very little Microsoft can do to get me to buy Scorpio.

I have way more games than I have time and the little bit of time that I do have goes towards the many amazing games that have released for PS4, 3DS, and Vita over the last few years. Even if I stopped buying games for the rest of 2017, I still wouldn't have enough time to finish all the unplayed games that I have on PS4 alone.

So I have more of a lifestyle issue that doesn't favor Xbox. If the lack of time wasn't an issue, they would have to have a significant number of exclusive games in genres that matter to me like single-player adventure, turn-based RPGs, platformers, and visual novels -- and these games would have to be available only on Xbox because if they come to Windows 10, then there's no reason for me to get the box.

In summary: very, very slim chance I'd be on board with Scorpio or any Xbox One for the foreseeable future.

Cartho

As a PS4 Pro owner MS needs to do one of three things from my point of view.

1. Make the power difference massive and very obvious. I'm talking 60 FPS patches for games which previously 30. Supersampling is good but my PS4 pro already does that so I'm gonna go with framerate. That would be a clincher for me, if 3rd party stuff like Destiny ran at 60 then I'd be very interested.

2. Start bringing some killer exclusives. As someone who has no interest in "serious" driving games like Forza (I like things like Wipeout and Mario Kart), doesn't like Halo and finds Gears to have lost its appeal by now, MS's lineup of exclusives look very thing next to Playstation's.

3. Graphics patches which add numerous new effects whichhave not previously been done before, combined with locking stuff to at least 1080p. For example, if they hypothetically released a Scorpio patch for TW3 which locked the res at 1080, the frame rate at 30 but set it at PC Ultra settings including fancy HBAO+, max draw distance, shadow quality, texture quality etc, then I'd be interested.

Basically, graphics patches which make games look like PC counterparts while maintaining a stable frame rate (even if that is a locked 30).

The biggest issue MS are going to have is making the difference between Scorpio and PS4 Pro clear. If all Scorpio does is offer supersampling / 4k upscaling with some more native 4k titles for people who own a 4k TV then they're going to have a very hard time convincing people to buy one over a PS4 Pro, especially given that Sony are almost certain to cut the PS4 Pro's price around the time Scorpio comes out. If Scorpio is, say, £150 more expensive, then they need to show that it is £150 better and that's going to be tricky simply with supersampling etc.

So yeah, they need to unleash some killer new exclusives which really take advantage of the hardware. Actual gameplay which blows my socks off. Forza, Halo and Gears aren't going to cut it - they need some kind of Horizon Zero Dawn style mega game which looks stunning and also feels like a breath of fresh air and offers something genuinely different to their other exclusives.

I sold my Xbox One because it wasn't getting any use. So for me to pick up Scorpio it will have to be a big departure from Xbox One, with killer tech, big new features and, most importantly, essential exclusives..... but I just can't see that happening.

Same old Xbox but in 4K just isn't going to cut it with me.

Maximo

Probably would be more interested in a WiiU then a XboxOne at this point already have a powerful PC its the exclusives im interested in and PS4 and the future possibility of the switch has more of my attention then anything Microsoft has to offer.

Release an exclusive Jet Set Radio in 4k.

Theres nothing they could do and its not their fault.

Until I get a 4k tv that does 👌hdr i won't be getting a mid gen update.

edit: i have an xbox one s and i love it.

Nothing.

XBox One is unappealing and you spec it up, and there's still very little reason to get one. They just don't have the games. Multiplatform? That's Ps4pro or PC for me.

If any form of exclusives are available on PC at the same time, there is no point me buying the console. At least I know Switch is the only place to get Nintendo games

eXistor

I never play on Xbox One, most games that I was looking forward to as exclusives have either sucked like DR4, Sunset Overdrive (sorry, didn't like it one bit, but I do recognize some quality here at least) and ReCore. Or have been canceled like Scalebound. I don't care for drab stuff like Forza and Gears or Halo.

So for me, Scorpio could be the most advanced, powerful console in existence and I wouldn't give it a second of my time because the games just don't appeal to me. I really think MS is gonna exit the console space soon and focus on Windows.

Cartho

I actually think pricing is going to be key. Here's the thing: even without masses of 1st party exclusives, they could position themselves as the ultimate 3rd party box. Change the field so that people buy a PS4 for exclusives and a Scorpio for everything else.

However that will depend a lot of the way they price it. If it's more than £400 then it's staaaarting to get close to entry level PC type prices. The advantage of a Pro is it gives good power to price ration - you'd need a decent PC for example to run Watch Dogs 2 at equivalent settings at 1800p - I can't see people being able to build one which can do that for £350.

If MS can release a box which packs 6TF of GPU power, 12GB of GDDR5 and a better than Jaguar CPU for under £400 then they have got a good value proposition. If they go the other way, and it's £499, then that's a tough sell as people who have that kind of money to spend in order to get a visual / performance boost might just think "I'll save a bit more and build a PC".

I actually think pricing is going to be key. Here's the thing: even without masses of 1st party exclusives, they could position themselves as the ultimate 3rd party box. Change the field so that people buy a PS4 for exclusives and a Scorpio for everything else.

However that will depend a lot of the way they price it. If it's more than £400 then it's staaaarting to get close to entry level PC type prices. The advantage of a Pro is it gives good power to price ration - you'd need a decent PC for example to run Watch Dogs 2 at equivalent settings at 1800p - I can't see people being able to build one which can do that for £350.

If MS can release a box which packs 6TF of GPU power, 12GB of GDDR5 and a better than Jaguar CPU for under £400 then they have got a good value proposition. If they go the other way, and it's £499, then that's a tough sell as people who have that kind of money to spend in order to get a visual / performance boost might just think "I'll save a bit more and build a PC".

Do you really believe for one second that a 6tf GPU, 1tb HDD, 12gb ram and a i5 equivalent CPU is gonna cost less than £400?

arkon

I don't think they can do much really. I've only just got a PS4 pro and don't have the time to play it as much as I like. I do also want a Switch because I like Nintendo games. On top of all that is a load of PC RPGs that I'd like to get to. So the end result is that leaves the Scorpio with a mountain to climb and nothing in terms of games to entice me that I can't get elsewhere.

Petrae

I really can't see myself going back to MS this gen. I already own a PS4, which has most of the games I'd be interested in playing, and I'm still content with using my 360 instead of blowing through HDD space for backwards compatibility. The time I spent with XBO last year-- punctuated by painfully long install times and slow everything else-- soured me on the platform. The only advantage it had for me over the PS4 was the ability to use an external HDD for storage, but now the PS4 can too, so there's really no advantage left.

Sorry, MS. Loved you last gen, but you lost me this gen.

jeffram

A new exclusive that is on the level of Horizon or Zelda botw.

Switch is my first Nintendo console since the NES, and it's because botw.

I'd like a UHD player, so MS just needs to make the decision easier for me by delivering on the games side.

Yaari

My X1 is gathering dust. Some fancier graphics won't do a thing about that. Last year I was pumped, now I realize there isnt actually a single X1 title I am excited for.

GLAMr

I don't even have enough time or money for all the games I want to play on my PC, PS4 and 3DS. There's literally nothing I can think of that would make me buy a Scorpio. If anything, I'd be more tempted to buy a Xbone S on the cheap once Scorpio drops.

I still hope it does well though. The 360 was a great experience for me and I really want MS to stay in the console market.

Randomizer

More diverse First Party titles
More Third party exclusives

This year is making the Xbox One look especially bad consider all the amazing exclusives elsewhere. With most multiplatform games turning out bad baring a few like RE7. Their lineup is looking very anaemic. Also having joint releases on PC doesn't help, makes skipping XB1 that much easier.

Price. If it's reasonable I'll be willing to trade in my PS4P.

Don't really care for 2 series out their holy trinity. (Forza MS, Gears). But still play most third party titles on Xbox so it's all price.

Also, Shangheist pls.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Love sunset, really fun game

Forgot about this. And Titan Fall. And Dead Rising. Somehow these games fell by the wayside.

Because Sony has had some glaring unique titles in the last 4 months, all being critically acclaimed. People want more games like sunset overdrive, and less of forza and Halo.

I'll be picking up a Scorpio regardless. BC, 4k drive player, 3rd party home now. But I want unique experiences too. Persona, Nier, gravity rush, last guardian and kingdom hearts. All in the last 5 months. Xbox just got Halo wars.

And this might explain things too.

I have played more SO and State of Decay than I have played Halo and I had an orig Xbox. I barely played Gears and have never played Forza.

Some of this is preference, because I played the hell out of God of War and Uncharted series and havent grown tired of them yet.

I think its time for some new exclusive IPs to land on Xbox platform.

Imagine if Destiny was an XBO exclusive... After playing Titan Fall its a shame it couldnt stay exclusive for MS sake. (glad form a consumer standpoint tho, lol)

rpg_fan

I really don't know anymore. That first big black Friday we bought one for our son, he has since traded it in. The next year I had money put aside for an xb1, ready to buy. And I just never did it. I just never saw that one thing I wanted enough.

I bought an og xbox for halo, I bought a 360 for halo and another for mass effect, I bought my son a xb1 for.... that's right, halo. But you know what happened? I still like halo, but I don't love it anymore. And since I do still love rpg's, but xbox isn't about that life, I doubt I'll buy one.

I think I'm just a single console + pc owner from now on. At least that's my feelings at the moment. I know the right game(s) can change my mind.

MANGOD

Banned
I pledge my cash to Phil already but if he comes out at E3 and mic drops goldeneye remaster running at 4k on scorpio Im gone find him and give him a hug

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Exclusives and more diversification with their first party stuff.

I would love for a HALO rpg of some kind..
That they try to release stuff that is not only FPS.

I also would love to see classics coming back, like Midtown Madness and Crimson skies.

GLAMr

Exclusives and more diversification with their first party stuff.

I would love for a HALO rpg of some kind.
This is a cool thought. I'd love to see the Halo universe explored in other genres. I don't understand the "less Halo/Forza" sentiment; they're amongst the most enticing things about the platform.

One of two things - or for a day one purchase, a combination of both.

Hot Price: If MS end up selling some fantastic hardware at a great price, I could be tempted to pick up one up over time. I already have a PS Pro, so this would primarily serve as a 4K Blu Ray player and I'd likely grab the next Halo & Forza - though my interest for both franchises is extremely low in comparison to other upcoming releases.

Exceptional Exclusives: By exceptional, I don't mean a good looking Halo game etc I mean, develop some really exciting or unexpected titles. If they were putting together a new JSR, or Lost Odyssey 2, or something crazy like a Skies of Arcadia sequel (ridiculous I know) - I'd probably bite. Essentially, I want to see some cool shit from MS, but I know it is a long shot at best.

If they can nail the price and deliver a couple of really cool titles at release, I could be tempted into a day one purchase - though I must admit, if it weren't for the fact that I'm looking at grabbing a 4K Blu Ray player (not a One S) I'd almost certainly be unreachable from MS given their general approach over the last ~5 years.

Unfortunately I'm expecting MS to try and sell this thing at cost (if not, with profit) and I expect that by the time you add the Australia Tax it could very well be a ridiculous price. I also don't have much faith that MS can deliver on the exclusives beyond 4K/pretty versions of the usual stuff, so my interest level is very low.

I don't play on PC....So being able to play games (1st or 3rd party) with the best possible performance available on console....Sold, I'm good with that.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I will buy any system at launch if I feel the games are coming. As an Xbox One and One S owner, I'm just burned out on MS's exclusives.

I don't know how anyone can argue their exclusives list is good. It isn't. It's crap.

I had thousands of hours in Halo and Halo 2, and bought a 360 and crackdown for Halo 3. But man, Halo 5 just isn't anything like what I loved Halo for in the first place. I don't have ONE friend who is playing it. Not one. I don't know a single person and work that plays it.

So you have Forza and Gears. The Horizon games are great - I'll give them that. But otherwise, Gears and standard Forza always feel like the same exact thing but with better graphics.

TL;DR: Show me good exclusives - that aren't just Halo/Gears/Forza - and I'll buy it Day One.

hydruxo

Basically they need to show games that I'm actually interested in. I had a 360 last gen and I felt like MS was always putting out great exclusives then, but with XB1 I've barely seen anything that I've wanted to play from them. Gears and Halo don't cut it anymore.

EVO

As long as PC keeps getting all the good Xbox games, there's nothing Microsoft can do to get a purchase from me. There's only one game out of the entire XB1 library that I feel like I'm missing out on: Sunset Overdrive.

Cartho

Do you really believe for one second that a 6tf GPU, 1tb HDD, 12gb ram and a i5 equivalent CPU is gonna cost less than £400?

Nope, and this is where I think their problem is going to lie. If it ends up being a little too close to a PC in terms of investment, that will end up making people who don't have much cash go for the PS4 Pro instead.

Also, where are you getting the i5 equivalent CPU from? As far as I'm aware there has been zero mention of the CPU anywhere. I'm not even sure what kind of SoC they would have access to which would provide i5 ballpark performance. Is semi custom Zen ready to go?

My bet is a very heavily upclocked Jaguar or some more modern variant of it. I think anything like Zen at this point will make the system very expensive.

I basically buy every console released eventually. Sometimes at launch, sometimes after a few months and there's a good bundle deal. The only console I've skipped entirely that I can remember is Wii U. I'm waiting on a Black Friday/Xmas bundle deal for PS4 Pro. But I have a feeling I'll be picking up a Scorpio day 1. I'm fully invested in MS's online XBL ecosystem and, for now, prefer my console gaming there over PSN. (I also love PC gaming, but I really like the ease/convenience of console as a change of pace).

That said, I do think MS needs to get their act together with their stable of exclusives. Sony is killing it lately with Nioh, Horizon, Nier (timed...but still), etc... Xbox def needs more than Halo/Gears/Forza. I think Ryse, Sunset Overdrive and Recore were attempts to establish new exclusive IP franchises, but didn't have the success that higher-ups hoped for, so sequels seem unlikely (unfortunately). And we all know what happened with Scalebound. With all that in mind, my curious question at the moment is how much are execs at MS interfering/limiting the Xbox division's R and D / new IP budgets? I feel like if Phil was allowed to run everything autonomously with a longer budgetary/creative leash then most of these complaints would be addressed rather quickly. But he's operating the division within/under a much larger bureaucracy with a variety of agendas influencing everything. In any case, they've done a great job turning Mattrick's cluster-fuck around. I just hope Phil is allowed to really do what he knows needs to happen with Scorpio. It isn't rocket science: It's all about the (exclusive) games.

The main thing that makes it a non-starter for me is this: going through my trophy list, I've played exactly three games in the past year or so that were also on XBone- FFXV, Titanfall 2, and Shantae: Half-Genie Hero. Most of the others weren't developed by an internal Sony studio or locked down to Playstation via moneyhat, they're just niche to mid-tier Japanese titles that skipped over Xbox.

If they had third-party library parity with the PS4 (ie games like Nier, Persona 5, more niche JP titles like Tales and Atelier) and those titles looked/ran noticeably better than they did on the PS4 Pro I already have, I'd consider jumping in. But with the XBone library as it stands now if I want to spend $400-500 to run games at a higher graphical quality than I do now I'd buy a new GPU for my PC, which can run more of the games I care about than just the relative handful of AAA titles I play a year.

Exclusives. Interesting new intellectual properties and games that I could only play on the Xbox (otherwise, why bother?). A reasonable price, also; and a good design, if possible.

They need to show me a diverse number of games that appeal to my taste (i.e. Last Guardian and non-for shooters, things with more subtlety). That's it, I don't care about the system's power, the Xbox system brand appeal and associated content doesn't target me.

Plus I feel one main console + a Nintendo system is all I will ever need really, especially now that most MS first party stuff is hitting the PC too.

Socivol

Nothing. After seeing how lackluster most games are in terms of PS4 Pro support, I doubt the situation with Scorpio would be any different. If they position it as a new console with Scorpio only games while being backward compatible with Xbox One I might be interested.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
60 fps / 1080p minimum straight out of the box without breaking a sweat. None of this 900p bullshit.

Papacheeks

Banned
Realistically I don't think MS wants you to buy one anyway. If they can get you to buy windows, and ideally buy Windows store games then they're happy enough. The Play Anywhere model shows us that much. Less important to get you in the Xbox ecosystem as long as they get you in the windows one.

That also means that the 'success' of Xbox is more difficult to quantify if they're including it as part of a larger play.

Issue is Playanywhere model at this current time is still complete shit. No one wants to use it let alone buy games on it.

Gears of war 4 is the only game I saw a lot of traffic on for PC. I don't see 500,000 plus people buying forza, halo wars 2 on Microsoft store.
The PC playanywhere makes sense as at a business level but having it mid generation makes no sense unless they had this planned before their 2013 launch. Which we know they didn't, this was them in panic mode let's be honest.

And it was something that was not well thought out in how games install/download from essentially a App store. Xbox interface is shit on pc, and not intuitive.
They fucked up really bad, because now they can't go back on it because they've already released 5-6 high profile first party games on it. And did deals during holiday's last year for buying both versions with on purchase.

So now they think a much more powerful console is going to shake things up?

They would need games and not anything like Halo or forza. More like Sunset and Ori+Japanese games. Because seriously the only games they had coming up which had my interest was scalebound(RIP) and since then they have nothing.

Basically do what Nintendo and Sony are doing.

Not much they can do at this point. I am a PC games primarily so console manufacturer's need to offer a lot of exclusives to justify the purchase. So far only Sony has done that consistently from gen-to-gen.

With many new exclusives hitting PC as well, there may not be a reason to buy an Xbox ever again, but I would still be in the ecosystem... only problem is Windows store and UWP is shit.

Papacheeks

Banned
They would need games and not anything like Halo or forza. More like Sunset and Ori+Japanese games. Because seriously the only games they had coming up which had my interest was scalebound(RIP) and since then they have nothing.

Japanese games don't do well on xbox, I think Ninja Gaiden and dead or alive are the outlier's for Xbox.
They need Western, Eastern PC games to come to xbox, and make deals with big PC developers/publishers for contracted developed games or buy them as a studio. They are a western box made by a western company known for PC gaming in the past.

That's where they need to find themselves, find xbox's soul again. Sony's has always been single player games from both east and west. With their heritage coming from both places like JRPG's from the east, and platformers/action/adventure games from the west. That's why they are destroying Microsoft software wise.
Look at what we are getting from Microsoft for a "Remaster" of phantomdust. It looks like uprezzed shit, then you look at Crash n sane trilogy all three games redone from the ground up for 39.99. Then you look at Parappa the rapper, loco roco and even recent remasters like Uncharted collection. Done really well.

Even with games they own and games that have a fanbase even if it's small, they don't go the extra mile. You have to rebuild your foundation for people who were fans to come back.
And that's why I think Scorpio is a mistake honestly. All that R&D money, PR, and dev time could have been spent on making a couple really cool remasters or new sequel to an old franchise. Like we should have a new conker or a conker HD Collection with multiplayer.

Xbox division just doesn't make sense to me anymore, and it sucks it's caught in this battle for restructuring. It's the last avenue that should have it's budget cut.

Sony is milking some of their IPs too. Dont get why people ignore this.

Microsoft has a new IP this year coming with Sea of Thieves.

Gitaroo

Offers a solid trade in deal for the one s or I won't even consider it. I only use my one s for uhd bluray at this point, if it cost anywhere near 500CAD I rather get a new video card that can do everything better.

UCBooties

Honestly, I have no idea. I have an XBox One and it just collects dust unless I feel like playing Skyrim. All my multi-platform purchases go on the PS4 because that's my primary console. I need to see some indication that multi-plat games are going to be a lot better on Scorpio to even consider it, and even then I would need some incredibly tasty exclusives coming down the pipe to increase the chances. If Microsoft's pitch for the Scorpio is that now Halo, Gears, Forza, and Fifa are going to look and play better than ever than I don't think I'll ever bother with one.

I still haven't upgraded to a PS4 Pro and it feels like it's way too late for MS to make me care about XBox this generation. It just doesn't feel like I'm the kind of consumer they are interested in right now.

Top Bottom