• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Preview Thread [Up: All Previews Live]

Dezzy

The art direction, style and setting are amazing. The music sounds really nice too. Dialog and voices could be better, but overall the game looks like I could easily just enjoy being in the world. Keeping my pre-order for sure. It does have some FarCry in it, but I loved FarCry 4 and Primal, so I'm good with that. :)
I can't wait to see how this looks on the PS4 Pro.

kRrkfUU.gif

GavinUK86

lol that cutscene is awful. the lip syncing reminds me of alan wake.

also, seen two copy/pasted character models.

aside from those, the gameplay looks good.

Hjod

Banned
The game looks really good, hopefully the gameplay and story is fun.

Will wait for some reviews and impressions as always before jumping in, but can't say I'm not tempted.

BigEmil

Really love their choice of different artstyle for realistic graphics looks very pretty and more uniqur

I wonder how long it will take for GG to react to this thread. I think the cut scenes are pretty damn unpolished compared to the game itself, which is mind boggling to me.

CrayToes

Don't know what I expected from GG when it comes to writing and voice acting, but they still manage to disappoint. Apart from that the game looks really good. Like Tomb Raider meets Far Cry. The visuals are the real draw for me though. This is going to look absolutely stunning on my Pro/4K TV.

I wonder how long it will take for GG to react to this thread. I think the cut scenes are pretty damn unpolished compared to the game itself, which is mind boggling to me.

Hopefully it's a case of "gameplay so good it trumps the poor story/writing" because man, that writing and cutscene work isn't doing it for me.

Everything else looks great though.

dex3108

Game really looks nice but it seems that only main characters will have acceptable voice acting. Side mission cutscenes and characters are really mediocre to bad.

The moment to moment gameplay looks second to none. It looks so fluid and fun to control. Visually, looks stunning. I just can't wait for this.

KORNdoggy

that first video in the OP. what sort of magical LOD system is that. barely any pop-up. but what stands out to me is it looks REALLY smooth? is this an unlocked framerate on PRO? 60fps?

VanWinkle

Isn't that cutscene problem pretty common for RPGs as a whole? You can't do detailed facial animation work when there are so many character scenes and dialog. Not that I'm HAPPY with it, but I thought it was pretty par for the course in this genre.

These videos got me really hyped though. I feel a lot more confident in how much of an "RPG" it is, and the visuals are just gorgeous.

Sora_N

The voice acting is mostly atrocious and the lips not matching reminds me of Kingsglaive Japanese voices on the bluray.

The game looks fine but I think I will cancel it due to Zelda and Switch.

Yopis

My biggest hesitation with this game is the difficulty. Rise of the Tomb Raider was too easy, offensively so, even compared to TR2013 (I replayed it on hard right after to check), and it completely kill any replay value. I knmow it's not the same dev but I fear a case of content tourism of whatever the cool kids call it these days.

You know this will be super easy. People were already complaining you had to be competent enough to stay alive until next checkpoint.

The sales they will need from this type of game mean nobody will be left out. Will be super easy most likely. Hope that's not the case and you need some skill but not holding breath.

Hope they get the audiences they are searching for. Wish them well, must be nice to take break from KZ.

Watching people play who don't have a clue their first time through is pointless. They don't give you any indication how to play. They don't know how to use the tools, weapons ect... I would love to see someone play the game who has an understading on how to defeat the enemy in different ways, showcase the on the fly weapon wheel. That 33 minute video was nothing more than a novice with no clue.

I don't give a fuck about cut scenes never have and never will, half the time I'm listening and not watching.

jeffram

Isn't that cutscene problem pretty common for RPGs as a whole? You can't do detailed facial animation work when there are so many character scenes and dialog. Not that I'm HAPPY with it, but I thought it was pretty par for the course in this genre.

These videos got me really hyped though. I feel a lot more confident in how much of an "RPG" it is, and the visuals are just gorgeous.

Yeah seems pretty standard affair for open world side quest NPC stuff. leagues better than fallout though.

I think the stories told in this video are good, might no be the best writen or acted but they were interesting to me. Good stuff.

Acting varies from terrible to good so I think it depends on the type of side quest or main quest.

Eh, I think I was a bit harsh on the writing. It's really hit or miss. Some of it is quite good actually.

Many of us here are too focused on that and we jump at the very first little thing that sounds, reads, or looks off but if I think of my worst fears I think I feel actually great now, there looks to be elaborated quests here.

illamap

The facial animation always looks off in this game. It's weird to see on a game from Sony.

i am not a expert but i think it might be storage issue, no open world with ton of characters has good facial animation same with ME:A. For example non-streamed gameplay animations are easily 500MB on current gen consoles. Facial animation with blendshapes consumes lot of memory i assume.

Top Bottom