• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hey GAF!

Mark Norris, Senior Producer on Horizon Zero Dawn here. I just wanted to say thanks so much for the kind words from many of you on the thread here so far, and that some of your questions (but definitely not all!) will be answered over the course of the next couple days.

One thing I can confirm for you is that every single shot in the demo video was taken from in-game, and those locations are discoverable over the course of your journey.

I'll let you get back to the regularly scheduled speculation :)

You guys should be really proud of this demo. It was a perfect introduction to the IP and avoided many of the pitfalls of reveal demos. I can't wait for this.

knoted

Neo Member
Well Dark Earth had a similar premise as that was well. So its certainly not the first. No idea is original ;)

No idea is 100% original nor 100% identical indeed.

However, I simply found it striking both game concepts originated from Amsterdam based studios.

I guess it was less controversial of an opinion than I thought.
And I agree. I do not own an xbox, nor do I plan to do so in the immediate future, but yeah, they're winning this E3, hands down.

Lol you have got to be kidding me. Like, what?!? Anyway, opinions and all that...

Hey GAF!

Mark Norris, Senior Producer on Horizon Zero Dawn here. I just wanted to say thanks so much for the kind words from many of you on the thread here so far, and that some of your questions (but definitely not all!) will be answered over the course of the next couple days.

One thing I can confirm for you is that every single shot in the demo video was taken from in-game, and those locations are discoverable over the course of your journey.

Hi. Hi. AWESOME REVEAL.

One question probably won't get answered but what's the scale like in the game and can we get an idea of what type of environments we'll be able to explore. will there be some underwater exploration?

also. what's the scale like.

again. Great job on the new IP. looks great.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Hey GAF!

Grats on the reveal, looks amazing.

Cant wait to figure out whats up with the robots and bows and stuff.

Loxley

This game was easily the highlight of all the conferences for me, looks like a total blast to play. Can't wait to see more if it.

Hey GAF!

Take my credit card.

AAK

Hey GAF!

Great showing. One of the two games that really interested me all this e3 so far.

Skux

I am really hoping we get some lore this week.

The big question that I have to figure out, is why would a person create a robot to emulate an animal? Robots are made for maximum efficiency. If you wanted to make something that consumed vegetation to store energy, you'd build a harvester with wheels on it rather a flock of robot-dino-ostriches.

That means that the dinobots would have been deliberately created to replace the role of animals, right down to their behaviour and aesthetics. It makes no sense to waste that much resources on less efficient machines unless the actual goal is to be a T-Rex or stegosaurus.

Hey GAF!

woah, congratulations to the team. it was an off the charts reveal.

Is this the game we saw art from that looked like Killzone?

City looked like the city in Killzone, is there a possibility that this takes place in the Killzone Universe but many years in the future.

Dunno, it's just that they showed an ART picture before this was announced and people thought the new game was Killzone but in the begining it sure did look like that city.

I don't know maybe i'm over thinking this

Moneal

The big question that I have to figure out, is why would a person create a robot to emulate an animal? Robots are made for maximum efficiency. If you wanted to make something that consumed vegetation to store energy, you'd build a harvester with wheels on it rather a flock of robot-dino-ostriches.

That means that the dinobots would have been deliberately created to replace the role of animals, right down to their behaviour and aesthetics. It makes no sense to waste that much resources on less efficient machines unless the actual goal is to be a T-Rex or stegosaurus.
the machines might not be human made. The could come from a primitive ai that evolved over the time since the fall.

Hey GAF!

In exchange for more information I offer you my social security number, bank account number, and the rights to my first born child.

On a more serious note, well done. Best reveal of the conference IMO.

Dinda

Hey GAF!

Congrats on the absolute fantastic reveal. On an unbelievable Press Conference with so many Megatons you still managed to be my personal Highlight.
Wish you guys all the best!

Carl

Hey GAF!

Congratulations to you and the whole team on such a great showing

Hey GAF!

The fact that your game came out right after TLG and looked great, great job. Please don't be Q3-4 2016. Give this to me during summer time.

Nah, they have it right with the small harvesters. They're more agile and less energy intensive so have a much better risk vs reward balance than a giant harvester. Also wheels are only helpful when there are roads, but they need to be off road to harvest biomass effectively. If one grazer is destroyed you also only lose a small bit of the harvest, whereas losing a giant harvester would be a catastrophic loss.
Also animals are not "ineffective". Living organisms are some of the most effective machines around. The only reason or own tech doesn't resemble living things is because we are no where near as good at engineering as billions of years of evolution is.

Misterhbk

I just watched the conference now and hadn't seen or read anything that was announced I avoided it all like the plague. That said, I would have imagined final fantasy 7 remake being the biggest thing to ever happen for me gaming wise. This game trumped it. Holy fuck this looks sick!

EL CUCO

Hey GAF!

Thanks for dropping by :D the game looks fabulous and a ton of fun to play. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

Side note, I cant get the music out of my head. Been humming it all day at work lol

Dart

Definitely one of my favorite moments at the show. Even though we saw it coming, seeing it in motion was something else WOW!

Hey GAF!

Amazing looking game so far. Really loved the music also, seems to fit really well with the rest of the theme.

Is it too early/too reavealing to ask about the "wildlife"?
As in, is the setting pure man vs machine, the wildlife being a "hivemind" that only seeks to destroy man while stomping around for an eternity after mankind vanishes?

Or

A "proper" ecosystem with herbivores and "carni"vores doing the circle of life thing?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Hey GAF!

Congrats, IMO the HZD demo stole the show. Considering the pedigree of titles surrounding it, that's saying a lot. Good luck with the development, I really look forward to playing it.

Qvoth

Hey GAF!

any comments on co-op/multiplayer mode? this is super important!
mayatomr_gdlk.gif

any comments on co-op/multiplayer mode? this is super important!
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
I think spending time on slapping on a co-op / mp mode on an open world rpg is silly. Sure it could be fun, but I much rather GG spend time on making the best single player experience possible. Just my 2 cents.

ironcreed

Banned
Hey GAF!

Hey there! Congrats on working on one of the most amazing games I have ever laid eyes on both visually and conceptually. Cannot wait to see more.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I think spending time on slapping on a co-op / mp mode on an open world rpg is silly. Sure it could be fun, but I much rather GG spend time on making the best single player experience possible. Just my 2 cents.

no, i agree 100%

nothing about what was shown would lend itself to organic multiplayer

nib95

Banned
Hey GAF!

You guys knocked it out of the park. Uncharted 4 seemed a sure fire win for my game of the show, but your game topped it. Incredible concept, visuals, animations, sound design, and most of all, gameplay. That mega-rex takedown was surprisingly layered and eventful. Instead of typical just shoot to win, we had ducking and diving, pinning it down, knocking weapons off it, bits of it's armour coming off all over the place, attacking numerous weak spots et all. Awesome.

Jigolo

Hey GAF!

Just one question.

Photomode?

Respawn

Banned
Hey GAF!

Amen

Soi-Fong

Hey GAF!

Dudes!!! Be proud of the game. Even with all the megatons dropped yesterday, all I could think about was this game!!! Looks sooo wicked! And this is coming from a guy who dropped 300 dollars on Shenmue 3 yesterday. lol

Elandyll

Banned
Hey GAF!

The game looked positively amazing. I have seen the game called an open world Action Adventure RPG. Can you share with us if our character will have "stats" that you can attribute points freely (say if you wish to make her stronger, or more agile, or more resilient) ?

Hey GAF!

Amazing demo. The game looks so incredible. I was speechless. You should all be very proud of this. I can't bloody wait to see more. You guys deserve all the praise you get.

Jigorath

Banned
Hey GAF!

Without a doubt, this was the best game I've seen at E3. You guys should be proud. I cannot wait to play it.

Seriously between doom and metal gear this had to be the game that almost stole the show. Absolutely amazing graphics. GG Knows how to pull off black magic. That hair was incredible

Beatrix

Wow bravo GG. Horizon looks sooo good. This is easily my most anticipated new IP now. Nearly everyone I spoke to about E3 (from "casuals" to "hardcore" friends) all said Horizon was one of the best games shown.

Hey GAF!

Your game stands out in a conference with The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3 and Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Do me a favor and give a high five to the folks at Guerilla for me

Nere

This looks like the most beautiful game I have ever seen not only on graphics quality but the art direction looks just incredible can't wait!!

valkyre

How deep/complex do you guys think the RPG elements are going to be in this game?

Is it going to be more like Shadow of Mordor kind of RPG stuff, meaning small choices upgrades, skills and such or more deep stuff like say DAI?

I tend to think it is going more towards focusing on action rather than the RPG side of things. (Which is not necessarily a bad thing)

As a sidenote and don't take this the wrong way, no intention to down play GG's talent.

Is this a sign of Sony 1st party teams sharing tech perhaps?

When the actual gameplay begins in the Horizon demo, the high grass/plants that she uses as cover, aren't those kind of same looking like the plants in the UC4 demo?

Or am I just light headed from the night/morning still?

Just one question.

Photomode?

If this isn't a mandatory thing for first party games already then it should become one.

Top Bottom