• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What's fun about video games is we can have these creative fantasy settings. For me, this is what it's all about. If you feel disinterested in the game because "robot dinosaurs aren't realistic", I'll tell you I feel disinterested in most of ubisoft's conference (or games from other conferences) because I'm so bored of yet more military gun guys waving shiny black modern guns around and shooting eachother. It's so boring to me.
Couldn't agree more. Bring on the dinosaur robots.

Hey GAF!

Mark Norris, Senior Producer on Horizon Zero Dawn here. I just wanted to say thanks so much for the kind words from many of you on the thread here so far, and that some of your questions (but definitely not all!) will be answered over the course of the next couple days.

One thing I can confirm for you is that every single shot in the demo video was taken from in-game, and those locations are discoverable over the course of your journey.

I'll let you get back to the regularly scheduled speculation :)
Nice to see you here. Just want to say a big thank you for two things:
- A game's reveal footage actually showing substantial gameplay. It might seem like a trivial thing but it's so rare nowadays that it's actually refreshing. And that got me hyped for the game way more than a meaningless CG trailer ever could, especially for a new IP where the gameplay is a completely unknown factor.
- A badass female protagonist that isn't wearing degrading bikini armour or skin-tight sexualized outfits, but looks and feels like she belongs as a hunter in this harsh world. Again, it's something that shouldn't be celebrated, really, but since it's also rare, well, good job! (Please don't include a bikini outfit DLC, pleaaaaase xD)

I can't wait to learn more about the combat and RPG elements. Don't even care about coop at this point.

Your game stands out in a conference with The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3 and Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Do me a favor and give a high five to the folks at Guerilla for me
Haha, good fucking point. Yes, second the high-five. :D

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I hope the night/day cycle takes inspiration from Dragon's Dogma (well, that and the combat, particularly the archery combat!) and that traversing the world during nighttime is actually scary this time.

Nice to see you here. Just want to say a big thank you for two things:
- A game's reveal footage actually showing substantial gameplay. It might seem like a trivial thing but it's so rare nowadays that it's actually refreshing. And that got me hyped for the game way more than a meaningless CG trailer ever could, especially for a new IP where the gameplay is a completely unknown factor.
So much This.

Jigolo

As a sidenote and don't take this the wrong way, no intention to down play GG's talent.

Is this a sign of Sony 1st party teams sharing tech perhaps?

When the actual gameplay begins in the Horizon demo, the high grass/plants that she uses as cover, aren't those kind of same looking like the plants in the UC4 demo?

Or am I just light headed from the night/morning still?

If this isn't a mandatory thing for first party games already then it should become one.

Heh. Well surprisingly one of their beautiful games (KZ:SF) doesn't have it.

BadAss2961

Also, imo I like her talking.

I feel more of a connection to her. Guerilla, keep the talking in the game. I love it.
Same. It gave the impression that this is a lively character of charm and personality. Nice voice too.

As others have pointed out, I wouldn't expect to her be that chatty all the time. I imagine her talking was on the heavy side just to showcase the game. A tutorial concept.

Lemondish

I am really hoping we get some lore this week.

The big question that I have to figure out, is why would a person create a robot to emulate an animal? Robots are made for maximum efficiency. If you wanted to make something that consumed vegetation to store energy, you'd build a harvester with wheels on it rather a flock of robot-dino-ostriches.

That means that the dinobots would have been deliberately created to replace the role of animals, right down to their behaviour and aesthetics. It makes no sense to waste that much resources on less efficient machines unless the actual goal is to be a T-Rex or stegosaurus.

Who said they were created by humans?

Sure, science fiction stories about robots always start with the idea of artificial intelligence encased in a bipedal form created by man. No reason they wouldn't continue to adapt and change to their environment just as organics do when man is no longer their controller.

can't wait to see robo-Velociraptor's
Raptor_-_Clever_Girl.gif

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Same. It gave the impression that this is a lively character of charm and personality. Nice voice too.

As others have pointed out, I wouldn't expect to her be that chatty all the time. I imagine her talking was on the heavy side just to showcase the game. A tutorial concept.
There was no lip movement for some of the dialog in the showcase, so it's pretty save to say that this was tagged on for the event.

valkyre

Hey GAF!

Mark Norris, Senior Producer on Horizon Zero Dawn here. I just wanted to say thanks so much for the kind words from many of you on the thread here so far, and that some of your questions (but definitely not all!) will be answered over the course of the next couple days.

One thing I can confirm for you is that every single shot in the demo video was taken from in-game, and those locations are discoverable over the course of your journey.

Congrats on a wonderful reveal!

Though from what you are saying above I am really wondering if all the futuristic shots are discoverable as well... :D

BatSu

Hey GAF!

bravo for this game , BRAVO!

tumblr_m6juptfXgo1r5dblg.gif

Pejo

Can't wait to find out more info on this game. I'm really interested in the following points:

- Is this a story driven game or more of a "hunter" genre type game?
- Is the player character a custom creation? If not, can you change her outfits?
- Will there be more weapons (melee perhaps) or just different ammuntion/upgrades for the bow?
- Can you mount the dinobots?

I hope to find out all this stuff and more in the next few days.

I really liked what saw. Plus it's always great to see a game like this with a female main protagonist.

I hope not too much is revealed about the origins of these machines. I think they should play up the mystery/mysterious angle of it.

blackflag

IMO this is the best thing at E3 and I've been waiting for FFVII remake for years. This surpassed that and everything else.

I hope it has some rpg elements...weapon/armor upgrades, etc.

Hey GAF!

Hype... rising... cannot... resist!

Hey GAF!

I'll admit I was skeptical beforehand because of Guerilla's ... spotty ... track record when it comes to things like story, dialogue and sorry to say, but even gameplay, but this was game of the show for me. Absolutely fantastic presentation!

Binabik15

I would've stayed up if I knew I would get dinorobots (and UC4).

This is amazing. The setting alone makes this a must-buy!
Quality will decise at what price, though ;)
It's so beautiful. Dinos! Funky bio-mechanical designs. This and Adeptus Mechanicus kits from Games Workshop. Pure biomech horror overload.

I wouldn't have believed it if told last year.

If there's quick time events (bear with me) or non-QTE melee kills like the Kratos-stabs-Minotaurs-in-the-mouth ones...I can't.

Can't wait to find out more info on this game. I'm really interested in the following points:

- Is this a story driven game or more of a "hunter" genre type game?
- Is the player character a custom creation? If not, can you change her outfits?
- Will there be more weapons (melee perhaps) or just different ammuntion/upgrades for the bow?
- Can you mount the dinobots?

I hope to find out all this stuff and more in the next few days.

- Is all the wildlife mechanic? Because those fish didn't seem mechanical and the smaller birds on the sky were too far away to make sure either way.

I know people are hoping it doesn't have multiplayer

but wasn't there a casting call for multiplayer?
plus other than graphics/artstyle if there is one thing GG does really good is multiplayer

Also the good thing about GG (excluding KZ2 lol) what you see now is pretty much how its going to look at reveal.

Hey GAF!

Thank you so much for this <3

If there is any kind of co-op, it might make it one of my most anticipated games of all time. Amazing. Can't wait to see more.

Pop

plus other than graphics/artstyle if there is one thing GG does really good is multiplayer

Never understood why people hoping for no multiplayer. Just don't play with others. problem solved.

I'm fine either way but I would like to explore an open world with some buddies.

Handy Fake

Been pondering this a wee bit, as you do.

Civilisation and technology rises to the point of a sort of AI driven utopia.
Something.
Civilisation destroyed.
Judging by the decay of the cities, evolution restarts or small pockets of humans survive.
As the cities and power decay, the AI looks to the landscape for survival and natural evolution sees it taking on and building creatures to take advantage - no surprise that they take the form of the most successful species seen on the planet.
Something.
Something.
E3 shitstorm.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I just want to create my own character. everything else looks righteous.
Just a few voice options, ability to change my skin and hair tones and I'd be flabbergasted.

wonder if this game will have mp. seems likely. Would love to take down dinobots with my bros.

Jobbs

Banned
Just a few voice options, ability to change my skin and hair tones and I'd be flabbergasted.

wonder if this game will have mp. seems likely. Would love to take down dinobots with my bros.

I typically also favor rpgs where you can create your own character, but if we have to play a premade, then I really like this. Witcher 3 it was a bigger drawback, for me, because Geralt was so boring. Speaking for myself -- I'm really tired of gravelly voiced, batman sounding alpha males. It's just not interesting to me. Aloy, though, is totally cool. I love the design.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Also the good thing about GG (excluding KZ2 lol) what you see now is pretty much how its going to look at reveal.

I actually hope it got some sort of cooperative multiplayer to explore the world with.

KidJr

Hey GAF!

Incredible what you guys are working on!

Deserve all the praise

Hey GAF!

Hi, amazing showing yesterday!!

Can you tell me who the lead artdirector is on this game?

KoopaTheCasual

Sorry man, but I hope there is no character creator at all. I want a story driven experience, and Aloy (on first impression alone) seems like an amazing vessel for this story. I hope this game tells her story, and not generic savior #3423

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I typically also favor rpgs where you can create your own character, but if we have to play a premade, then I really like this. Witcher 3 it was a bigger drawback, for me, because Geralt was so boring. Speaking for myself -- I'm really tired of gravelly voiced, batman sounding alpha males. It's just not interesting to me. Aloy, though, is totally cool. I love the design.

Same and while I really dig the character design in Horizon I honestly just want to make her black to speak candidly. Personal preference aside game shows a lot of promise. I'm sure it will be decent no matter what direction they take it in.

thelastword

Banned
Hey GAF!

Are you Chuck's brother?...... Just Kidding;)

No problem man, this reveal was also my most anticipated and you guys came through in every way. I always loved the setting based on the concept art that has circled the internet for a minute now, but seeing it in realtime really made me appreciate what you guys have accomplished here with the PS4. Hope you can release some high quality footage of the E3 demo soon.

seeing that the combat giving a huge MonHun vibe, it's understandable that we want co-op multiplayer. but this game structure is not a hunting game like MonHun which is mission based with a home base, you gather your team and go out doing missions.

this is supposedly an open world rpg, probably more in common with Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquisition, Skyrim, or Dragon's Dogma. and all those games are all single player too. except Dragon's Dogma which just had free 2 play online game announced.

but considering all previous GG games have multiplayer, I wouldn't be surprised if Horizon simply had a separate multiplayer mode like DAI.

Watching the trailer again, that realistic damage modelling on the T-Mex was brilliant. Bits of its armour get blown off when she fires its own cannon back at it.

They really need to keep this type of enemy damage model.

MiszMasz

I agree. This may be the game that gets me to buy a PS4 but I hope I can just explore without the running commentary. It is really my only issue. Game looks awesome.

Same here, i love the look of this but would struggle with constant chattering and wisecracks.

andycapps

Hey GAF!

Looking forward to seeing more info on the game. I mentioned in the other screenshot thread for this that I was excited to see a strong female protagonist. Of course the gameplay and world look great.

Shut up and take my money, basically.

Sorral

Hey GAF!

Much <3 for actually making this game. Game stood out from everything else honestly.
Really can't wait to get my hands on it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm a huge Guerilla Games fan, so I was onboard the moment I learned they were making a game.

It looks absolutely astonishing. Once again Guerilla is showing off their amazing art design. I'm hoping I can get a look at it today if it's in the show floor or being demoed somewhere.

This E3 has been such a win already.

Top Bottom