• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

Jobbs

Banned
I think I'm fanboying harder for this game than -- er, ever, because I've never really fanboyed for anything. What I mean by that is I'm so giddy over the game that I want to proactively do something about it. I want to make fanart and shit. And I probably will. Maybe I'll put a reference to it in my own little game.

delSai

Bummer. Yet they have various promotional artwork with 3 or even 4 hunters taking down a robot-dinosaur? What's the point then :/
Not really a dealbreaker for me but it severely hamper down my hype.

NPCs that go on the hunt with you during Quests or something?

newjeruse

Bummer. Yet they have various promotional artwork with 3 or even 4 hunters taking down a robot-dinosaur? What's the point then :/
It's an open-world action RPG. I would be surprised if they added MP.

Watched it again.

Jaw remains on the floor. Incredible show.

And people wonder why I clamor for a technically astounding Monster Hunter title. The level of detail in the machines is downright insane. The style of the character model is outstanding. Love the flowing red dreads and the fur clothing. Love the weapon designs ad the enemy modeling. Seriously. This is downright flawless for a first impression

Do we know the voice actor? Was also very well done.

Makes me sad Capcom refuses to do this :( It would be incredible.

When was there promo art? There was only the leaked concept art from a year or so ago. Maybe they planned to have multiplayer but dropped it.

Slyfer

Neo Member
Game looks awesome! Anyone else get reminded of Enslaved: Odyssey to the West when watching the trailer? Both are similar in the sense of being a post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure.

mP2dEz.gif

delSai

I'm glad GG is making this game and moved away from Killzone for now. I love the KZ games but this looks amazing. I'll be there Day 1.
And the lore should be strong as well, thats something Killzone did pretty good.

Darknight

No MP is ok, but Co-op has to be in the game i say! A bit like how Destiny works with fire teams and explore together.

Also hope you can set camp at night together (something like Dayz).

That type of Co-op works because of it twitch shooter gameplay.

Yea it can be like Monster Hunter I guess but not all games have to have MP/Co-op. Honestly I feel it changes the gameplay too much and sometimes it just feels like chaos and the game might end up being not an action RPG but a straight up arena shooter.

That Black Ops co-op level they showed looked like shit. People flying like they are superman, shit blowing up left and right with dumb A.I fodder to get you hard on your no skill play though. ugh. Dont want that in Horizon. Thank god it wont be there.

Yes! Focus on a brilliant story driven experience, how refreshing in 2015

I haven't played every GG title out there but I am not really expecting the bolded after Shadow Fall. Hopefully the people they brought in will help. That said, I'm very excited to hear this is a SP game. I figured it would be co-op focused. Now, I can actually look forward to and play this one.

Lemondish

Damn, now everyone sees that I edited my post. Can't believe I wrote MW3. :p

Each to their own, I guess.

I didn't even notice lol. I like coop, which was part of the reason I enjoyed Destiny so much, despite all its flaws. I might check out Blops3 because of that.

However, it's on my "if I have time" list. A list that was necessary because I'm still not through Witcher 3, will need massive time to devote to Heart of Thorns, Fallout 4, and MGS5.

Really impressed with Sony's conference this year. Not just because of TLG, Shenmue 3, and FF7R. Those were huge megatons even if they didn't provide much in the way of substance. Horizon, though? Game of the bloody show, bub.

cripterion

Sony had a direct answer for everything MS threw at it.

Halo was answered with this.

Tomb Raider with Uncharted.

Its a great time to be a gamer I want to play them all.

It was a great E3, both Sony and MS had a great showing imo. Glad I own both consoles and my trusty pc. It's a great time to be a gamer.

And shit, I hadn't even seen the new Ghost Recon and For Honor trailers....

url

Shengar

It's an open-world action RPG. I would be surprised if they added MP.
They could make it a quest based one for the MP you know. Like, taking this quest of killing one Thunderjaw then back to the town/hub base.
NPCs that go on the hunt with you during Quests or something?
If the AI is good, the that would be suffice. Hunting big robot dinosaur alone just sounds like wasted potential.
When was there promo art? There was only the leaked concept art from a year or so ago. Maybe they planned to have multiplayer but dropped it.

Yeah I mean concept art. But again, such wasted potential/

gazele

Banned
Personally don't care about Co-op, I can see how people would want it though

This game looks so great, I do want to see how the inventory, character building works but this is one of the games I'm looking forward to most

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There is a Live Show Floor interview on PlayStation's Twitch right now!

• They just said it is a seamless open world action RPG.
  • We only seen a small amount of machines, there is a wide variety of them.
  • What we saw is still considered pre-alpha, and they are not going backwards but moving forward with the tech for this.
  • Custom PS4 engine that was built upon and evolved from the KZ:SF one.

Lingitiz

I haven't played every GG title out there but I am not really expecting the bolded after Shadow Fall. Hopefully the people they brought in will help. That said, I'm very excited to hear this is a SP game. I figured it would be co-op focused. Now, I can actually look forward to and play this one.

I believe they hired the lead writer on Fallout New Vegas. On top of the CDPR guys they hired they at least seem to be making an effort.

Game looks cool, but anything with Dinosaurs is.
I hope the girls constant talking to her self was for the trailer only, that was annoying.

Oh man, you're crazy. I was telling my wife as we watched the trailer how much I love it when the character says exactly what I am thinking. Happens all the time in Uncharted. Great little detail that really puts me in their shoes (or them in mine).

Wait, there isn't co-op for this game? I was under the impression it'd at least have coop. It looks great, and its one of the first times in the 6 years my wife and I have been married that she actually said that the game makes her want to play it coop for once. Damn.

Elfstruck

Imru’ al-Qays;168447632 said:
I hope this has a fully-developed melee combat system. At the moment it looks like a third-person shooter.

If you watch their interview, they talked about how different tribes will approach these machines differently. So it's safe to assume there will be different ways to take down these beasts.

Killzone has an incredible lore behind it. The universe is layered, cohesive and rich with details. I have no doubt this will be similar.

As to whether GG can leverage a great story by meshing it seamlessly in a game is the question that remains to be answered. Killzone games leave a lot to be desired in this department (which is truly a HUGE missed opportunity, which is why I would be happy with a Killzone RPG or even a Visual Novel, the backstory and opportunity for something special is THAT good). Lets hope the execution is better this time.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
More RPG Info:

• You hunt machines full of resources.
  • Crafting is a key component with said resources.
  • There is a lot of quests in the game as well.

Man

"Crafting is a key component of the core loop"

"There's a story wrapper around the whole experience"

"There's lots of quests"

"The whole open world seamlessly streams"

"The skeleton crew was prototyping on PS3 using KZ3 assets while the majority of the team was finishing KZSF"

Watching the live stream. http://www.twitch.tv/playstation

Killzone has an incredible lore behind it. The universe is layered, cohesive and rich with details. I have no doubt this will be similar.

As to whether GG can leverage a great story by meshing it seamlessly in a game is the question that remains to be answered. Killzone games leave a lot to be desired in this department (which is truly a HUGE missed opportunity, which is why I would be happy with a Killzone RPG or even a Visual Novel, the backstory and opportunity for something special is THAT good). Lets hope the execution is better this time.

Totally agree about the KZ lore. It's really interesting. I have only played SF and the backstory it made me want to dive into the other KZ games. Yet the small scale story in SF was so clumsily told....

KingK

Wait, there isn't co-op for this game? I was under the impression it'd at least have coop. It looks great, and its one of the first times in the 6 years my wife and I have been married that she actually said that the game makes her want to play it coop for once. Damn.

I think co-op could work for this game, but I'm glad their focused on nailing the single player. I mean, making a massive, open world RPG takes a lot of time and resources, and it's something they've never done before. I would have hated to see the single player lacking in polish or content due to a feeling of "needing" multiplayer.

I think co-op is definitely something they should look at in the sequel though, once they have a lot of the groundwork of establishing a new franchise done.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Said, what we are seeing now is not the tip of the iceberg, but rather the fruit of the iceberg. More will be revealed throughout the year!

They are targeting 8/20/2016.

So kind of breaking down the trailer one bit at a time

1.) thousands of years beyond a time when the world lost all power for some reason? Without the power, nature took over. Now nature has overtaken the cities and these mechanical creatures have completely (?) replaced nature. But it looks like they share qualities of nature with some machines hunting others (?), some machines acting like herds together. Something tells me there is someone building these machines.

2.) First one we see is the Watcher. Looks to be a quick scout like mech with life scanning capability and alarms. It was sending out an alarm when she killed it. There is also a " search watcher " triangle button that appears but not used. So you can scavenge your kills

3.). 2nd ones we are are those monstrous mechs that look like the protectors of the herd. Interesting thing about these classic t-Rex looking dudes is she shot the weapon off its back and could then use it. Awesome

4.). These deer looking herd mechs look to be gathering green ooze into those canisters and she actually shoots one off the back and collects it. Perhaps these mechs are somehow able to use the energy from photosynthesis in the plants / grass and this ooze is turned into energy that the other mechs and machines use?

5.) I see on the arrow type selection what is obvious Fire Arrows, Electric Arrows and arrows that can hook onto some mechs.

6.) no one knows where the machines came from or where the old ones went.

Anyway. I'm obsessed. I need to see more!

hydruxo

Said, what we are seeing now is not the tip of the iceberg, but rather the fruit of the iceberg. More will be revealed throughout the year!

They are targeting 8/20/2016.

I heard them just say they were targeting 2016 in general, where did they say August 20th?

Top Bottom