• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

KoopaTheCasual

Out of all the crazy announcements, this game is the trailer i watch the most, and eagerly wait more information on. And that song? *swoon*

I love how shamelessly "video game" this premise is as a big budget AAA new IP. Completely unheard of nowadays. Genuinely giddy to learn more about this.

Kaizer

Banned
Hey GAF!

Mark Norris, Senior Producer on Horizon Zero Dawn here. I just wanted to say thanks so much for the kind words from many of you on the thread here so far, and that some of your questions (but definitely not all!) will be answered over the course of the next couple days.

One thing I can confirm for you is that every single shot in the demo video was taken from in-game, and those locations are discoverable over the course of your journey.

I'll let you get back to the regularly scheduled speculation :)

Game looks amazing so far, can't wait to learn more about it. It's definitely the title I'm most excited about coming away from E3 so I'll be excited when you guys reveal more!

Hey GAF!

Mark Norris, Senior Producer on Horizon Zero Dawn here. I just wanted to say thanks so much for the kind words from many of you on the thread here so far, and that some of your questions (but definitely not all!) will be answered over the course of the next couple days.

One thing I can confirm for you is that every single shot in the demo video was taken from in-game, and those locations are discoverable over the course of your journey.

Thank you for this Deathstryker. You sir have the game of the show so far.

I'm really excited to know more about it.

Edit: Don't care about competitive MP, but if you guys somehow managed to insert even 2-player co-op in this it would be instantly goty of 2016.

platocplx

Hey GAF!

Thank you for this game. I LOVE the Premise. I CANT wait to play it next year. Keep up the innovation!

Am I the only one to think that the vibrant city in the begining of the trailer looked like the city in Killzone?

Maybe this takes place in that world, just MANY MANY MANYYYY years later.?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Am I the only one to think that the vibrant city in the begining of the trailer looked like the city in Killzone?

Maybe this takes place in that world, just MANY MANY MANYYYY years later.?

Several people have suggested just that. And if it's true I imagine we will see some easter eggs connecting the worlds.

wapplew

Hey GAF!

I want to know is there more melee weapon? I love bow and arrow I would love some kick ass melee combat.

I am getting some the 100 tv show vibes from this game, not in a bad way.

This game has a lot of angles it could take. There could be factions that want to stick to a
primitivist way of life where other factions could be going after the polar opposite.
There may even be an overwatch ultimate leader that is watching the various groups rise to higher position in civilization while they pull strings and manipulate progression through the robotic creatures/technology.

Guerilla games really has a solid foundation to build upon.

Hey GAF!

Thank you for this game! It looks amazing, and I am so glad to see a third person game from you guys! When I first saw your company I was thinking first person all the way, but I am glad you changed it up. The main character looks great and your world in the game seems massive. I just wanted to personally say thank you to all of you who worked on this. I cannot wait to play it!

Apdiddy

Based on the demo, it feels like something FROM Software or Square Enix would develop -- I got really strong Dragon's Dogma/Freedom Wars vibes from it. A lot of the environments looked like something from Killzone Shadowfall (the first mission in the game).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Game of the Show easily.
We knew they were making a game with robot dinosaurs and Norse looking badasses and despite my imagination running wild for months and months they completely eclipsed my wildest dreams.

Amazing stuff
That's the most impressive part for me too. I figured if we got a gameplay demo it would just be some exploration, maybe hunting some small machines, then cut off when a big one showed up. Instead they jumped right in with fighting a huge, aggressive beast and taking it apart piece by piece and using it's own weapons against it

That's not even mentioning that it looks better than most linear games on consoles and it's open world with a great art style.

Hey GAF!

Your game's reveal was great and you should feel great.
Seriously. It's awesome to see GG not only branching out and trying new things, but doing so so damn well right out of the gate.
I think Horizon really shocked the world.

Hey GAF!

Glad to see you - I'm sure you appreciate how rare it is for a game to receive such universal praise right out of the gate. ;) Probably my game of show alongside Fallout 4.

I won't barrage you, but I have a couple questions:
  • How do the game's various RPG systems manifest?
  • Roughly how large is the planned world?
  • Are you anticipating a franchise?

Hey GAF!

Thanks for the comments; I think most of us enjoy a bit of dev interaction here on Gaf. I have to say, the game is looking excellent and it was a perfect reveal, with a bit of plot background, some cutscenes and a nice few minutes of actual gameplay. Also very appreciative of your using actual in-game footage rather than the bullshit CGI trailers a lot of publishers produce.

Can you comment on whether it will have any kind of co-op? Are the RPG systems quite deep a la say Dragon's Dogma, or have you tried to keep everything more simple and streamlined a la Mass Effect 2, to choose a couple of examples?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Glad to see you - I'm sure you appreciate how rare it is for a game to receive such universal praise right out of the gate. ;) Probably my game of show alongside Fallout 4.

I won't barrage you, but I have a couple questions:
  • Are you anticipating a franchise?

They said it's a new franchise in the conference.

KoopaTheCasual

Another crazy thing is the level of destruction to the environment with the falling trees and exploding rock. Obviously, that's probably reserved for the "big" prey, but that just adds another dynamic layer to this already really ambitious looking game.

Hey GAF!

If you include co-op you will set my hype meter to 11. Just food for thought :)

Yes it is confirmed open-world

Ok. Was a little confused because Deathstryer mentioned "locations".

Extremely amazing. Its among my top 3 most anticipated games now. (Together with Uncharted and Battlefront)

This Guerrilla Games. They outright rival Naughty Dog in terms of technical wizardry.

Believe.

Yup, its great to see them doing a new thing now. I loved Killzone 2 on Ps3, 3 was good aswell but Shadowfall wasn't my cup of tea.

Khezu

Game looks cool, but anything with Dinosaurs is.
I hope the girls constant talking to her self was for the trailer only, that was annoying.

Hey GAF!

Congrats on a fantastic reveal. New IP, excellent mesh of tech and nature, and really mysterious and exciting lore. I absolutely hope you guys deliver on the lore. Since it's an RPG, I am praying I find clues that are hidden throughout the game world, and I just really love the concept of nature taking over, while humans receding to tribe groups. I just absolutely have so many questions: Why are there dinos, how advanced were the old ones, how much time has passed, what caused all this? I hope these answers are hidden throughout the game. I'm so excited for how refreshing this world is compared to most other RPGs.

Personally, and this is just me, I think it would be so much better if the protag doesn't talk as much, and I think it would have been even bolder to have created a totally indigenous language. I dont know how much time has passed in the game since the fall of civilization, but one thing I loved about The Last Guardian was the minimal language, and the language being foreign/made up.

I really enjoyed how the protag felt remorseful when killing the Seeker/Watcher dino. Very nice touch that made her feel caring and sympathetic, but the rest I felt was over the top.

Just my thoughts :)

Hey GAF!

Game was incredible to witness. It doesn't get mentioned much but you guys should be commended on the audio as well. I had the trailer cranked up during the conference and it was insane. Well done on all fronts!

Can't wait to hear more about the weapon system and what sort of changes you can make to the leads clothing and weaponry ( if any ). Also well done on a finely modeled lead female character that doesn't have to be overly sexual to be interesting.

So truly, well f'n done. Most amazing showcase of the most legendary conference of all time

Now that'll be awesome! Same universe

Well i remember days ago they showed 1 ART picture for this announcement and people kept saying. Well that image looks like Killzone 3 : Shadow Fall or what ever its called. When we saw the trailer i said to myself, hmm this looks like the city in Killzone 3.

Don't you guys remember that tweet the day before e3 ?

KingK

Ya know, I think this is my most re-watched trailer of E3 now. Damn good reveal. One of the best I've ever seen for a new IP really. Gives you a solid idea of how it plays, with a substantial gameplay portion, as well as introducing the concept and story setup/visual style perfectly.

I don't know if I would have ever considered myself a "fan" of GG. I liked KZ2 quite a bit, though not as much as some, and I haven't played KZ3 or Shadow Fall. Mostly just because I don't play FPS games very often. This is easily in my top 3 anticipated games now though.

Also wanted to add to the praise for the design of the main character. My biggest open question right now is how deep the RPG aspects are. I'm assuming (based on how excellent the combat looked) that it's more akin to light RPG elements like Mass Effect and less like The Witcher. I'm honestly cool with either case though.

Didn't GG hire some devs or writers from Obsidian kinda recently? If so that bodes very well for the story and world-building.

Top Bottom